Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Mystery of the Nautilus (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=17976)

tomf 04-10-2008 06:13 PM

Mystery of the Nautilus

Hi,
I just picked up an old copy of a game called Mystery of The Nautilus from a friend and tried to install it into XP, it installed but then froze the computer completeley when I tried to start a new game, I did some googling and I found a possible solution, I tried pressing escape rapidly as soon as i pressed new game to skip the opening video, I GET INTO THE GAME, I try to move the screen and it crashes :(. I fish out my old windows 98 cd and install it onto a partition on my HDD and after many hours of trouble (sound wouldn't work and it still freezes somtimes on startup) I got it to work OK, I install the game and to my excitement the video plays correctly, I get into the game and I turn my view, and it crashes AGAIN! :mad: and it takes Direct Draw with it, ANy ideas?

_r.u.s.s. 04-10-2008 06:28 PM

no clue, although the game looks like it's the kind of 1st person adventures which use quicktime for stuff. considering it was released long time ago, maybe your quicktime has problems with it? try degrading it. i remember this helped me when i wanted to play first myst on my new machine

any error messages btw?

tomf 04-10-2008 07:38 PM

nope, just crashes to the desktop, any idea why 98 freezes on startup though?

_r.u.s.s. 04-10-2008 07:57 PM

dunno, tried hitting ctrl alt delete and restarting explorer?

tomf 05-10-2008 05:36 AM

It freezes on the cloud screen with the little bar that runs along underneath it, Also the game doesn't use quicktime I checked but thanks anyway

_r.u.s.s. 05-10-2008 12:07 PM

ohh the cloud sreen, that one hanged for a while for me too but i never figured out why :D probably some missing drivers trying to load

by the way what did you mean by "and it takes Direct Draw with it", since it doesn't give any errors? o_O

rabadi 06-10-2008 12:53 AM

I have that game, but only played it once, back in 2003 if I'm not mistaken. I played it on Windoze XP, and do not recall any problems playing it. I am afraid I have misplaced the CD though.

tomf 06-10-2008 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. (Post 339074)
ohh the cloud sreen, that one hanged for a while for me too but i never figured out why :D probably some missing drivers trying to load

by the way what did you mean by "and it takes Direct Draw with it", since it doesn't give any errors? o_O

Well after it crashes when I go to DXDiag it has not available next to direct draw and direct3D

@Rabadi
Were you running sp2 at that point?

_r.u.s.s. 06-10-2008 11:35 AM

and if you run dxdiag before the actual game, does ddraw crash? (test button)

rabadi 07-10-2008 08:49 AM

No, I did not apply SP2. For that matter, I do not think I applied SP1 either. It was the OEM version (Windoze XP Home, not Professional). I played it on a laptop (it is no longer my current laptop so again I am afraid I cannot check).

The current time is 03:03 PM (GMT)