Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   General compatibility fixes (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Sound Problem With Discworld (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=17316)

IncognitoSOS 04-06-2008 11:36 AM

Sound Problem With Discworld

Hey,

OK this is a really tricky problem, one that I haven't been able to figure out yet so maybe someone else can.

I'm trying to run Discworld, but it either runs with no sound, but music under DOSBOX, or doesn't run at all in VDM Sound. I either get an error message saying it can't read drive G or a message that tells me that my system doesn't support full screen mode. Those error's were in XP and Vista respectively.

Any tips on how to get this game running would be highly appreciated

dosraider 04-06-2008 11:43 AM

Do you have the original CD?
With that one I can help you, runs fine in dosbox with the correct settings and mounts,can't help you if you downloaded a rip somewhere ....

Tough I'm not so sure if I want to help, it seems that all can ask for help, and ask us detailled and elaborate instructions, but are unable to give some basic info themselves.

Jake Grey 04-06-2008 01:02 PM

I have almost the opposite problem; no audio whatsoever in DosBox, music but no SFX or voice in VDMSound. I'm on 2000 Pro and running a copy obtained from Abandonia. (Mind you, I seem to recall having similar problems in Windows 95 from the original CD back when I played it the first time around.)

_r.u.s.s. 04-06-2008 01:06 PM

have you tried following the guildlines from the review page?
Quote:

To save and have sound, do like so:
After installing to folder DISCWLD, make a folder titled SAVE
Run Config.bat and configure your sound and audio to Soundblaster Pro if you have it
Open Disc.bat using VDMS Sound, found in our Programs section, make a custom configuration in VDMS Sound and set the Soundblaster to Soundblaster Pro.

Jake Grey 04-06-2008 02:26 PM

Well, I tried that, and not only did it not work but the music isn't playing properly any more. I think I need to fiddle around with my configuration a bit more...

_r.u.s.s. 04-06-2008 02:52 PM

maybe if you at least wrote what exactly have you done, what are the conditions and result.

trying to help to somebody who says "IT DUZN'T WORKZ FOR ME" isn't really easy

IncognitoSOS 04-06-2008 06:33 PM

Sorry for my lack of info.

I am running Vista
I have Dosbox 0.73 (the most recent)
I got Discworld from Abandonia
I can't use VDM sound because I get an error message saying that my system doesn't support full screen mode.
No I don't have the original CD
Yes, I have no idea what to do

_r.u.s.s. 04-06-2008 06:37 PM

well, what are your commands you type into dosbox in order to run the game, after the instalation. and what is the real location of the game on your HDD? also check sound config in dosbox.cfg file

dosraider 04-06-2008 06:55 PM

Question:
Does the Abandonia download has music and voices?
I seem to remember that this has been discuted before somewhere ..... and that if you wanted the voices you needed to download the HotU version.
Even the HotU version didn't had music *IF* I remember swell.... only voices.

Or something ....
[Edit]
Just checked my original Discworld, the CD is 384MB .... Hard to believe that the Abandonia version isn't ripped to the bone.

Jake Grey 05-06-2008 05:20 PM

Quote:

Trying to help to somebody who says "IT DUZN'T WORKZ FOR ME" isn't really easy
Sorry; I the point I was trying to get across was that I've got an idea of where I've gone wrong -specifically an incorrect base port and/or synth setting in the config file- and intend to try and fix that as soon as time permits. The exact nature of the error is that certain notes in the soundtracks no longer play at all, so am I on the right lines?

The current time is 09:26 AM (GMT)