Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Gaming Zone (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Longest Wait for a Sequel to a Favorite Game (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=17669)

karooble 06-08-2008 04:47 PM

Longest Wait for a Sequel to a Favorite Game

OK, what's the longest any of you have waited for a sequel to a game you just LOVED? Any games that (regrettably) never got sequels, despite years of waiting?

My longest-wait-that-is-finally-being-satisfied: Diablo III. It's been almost ten years since Diablo II, and by the time the game finally comes out, it will be.

My longest-unsatisfied-wait: a sequel Twinsen's Odyssey (better known as Little Big Adventure 2). At this point, I'm pretty certain we're NEVER going to see LBA3. Oh well. :)

What about you guys?

Panthro 06-08-2008 06:17 PM

Diablo III is definately up there for me, and I would have said Fallout 3, but now theres gonna be a sequel, even if it changes far too much from the previous games.

I'd really like to see a new QFG sequel, so I have to thank all the hard-working fans who are trying to make similar games.

A decent UFO sequel would be nice idea, plenty of attempts, but noone has nailed it yet.

There is of course Jagged Alliance 3 to wait for... and my all time number one game that I'm waiting for the sequel is....

Elite 4. (actually I dont think it'll be called that, but essentially thats what it'll be, if it ever gets finished.)

powdernsky 07-08-2008 02:43 AM

I always really liked the 'Fable' series, and I always hoped that they would expand on it. So, now with 'Fable 2' I can say that it has been my most long-awaited sequel.

But my longest unsatisfied wait has to be:

Every single one of Sanctuary Woods' games. I'd pick them up in a heart-beat's moment. Particularly, I whole-heartedly believe that remakes of Lion and Wolf would be fantastic, and a lot of the reason for my belief stems from the range of creativity, quality and realism that we can use in this day and time. It may seem impractical, but depending on who develops them I believe that they could be phenomenal. They had that type of potential to begin with. And they still do, in my opinion.

Scatty 08-08-2008 03:07 AM

Well I would love to see a direct sequel for Master of Magic eventhough it probably will never be. I also wish there was a sequel to the Legend of Kyrandia series that would closely follow the spirit of the 3 games, especially part 2 - Hand of Fate which I liked the most.

Kugerfang 08-08-2008 03:35 AM

Duke Nukem Forever - Duke Nukem: Just a few years more!

Indignus IV 08-08-2008 04:41 PM

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. It came out in....98 I think? I bought the game for 4 dollars on a clearance rack in 2002. I've been waiting ever since....in vain. It never got the popularity that Civilization got, and they're up to Civ4 now. Unfortunately, I guess SMAC is going to be limited to a small cult following for all time.

skaven510 09-08-2008 04:45 AM

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 3 - I would love to play this game if it ever came out.

I've heard some rumors about that their making it or that it is becoming a mmo. I hope they don't ruin a great sp series by making it an mmo.

TheChosen 09-08-2008 09:33 AM

Kid Icarus.

Seriously Nintendo. Give us either next Icarus or the Earthbound collection on DS.

*Notices Indignus IV*

Dave 09-08-2008 09:38 AM

Diablo III :amused:
But I'm still waiting a worthy remake of the first Dune...or at least a Dune title taken from one of the books, not necessarily a RTS.

_r.u.s.s. 09-08-2008 10:28 AM

i would like to see another dizzy by codemasters

Indignus IV 09-08-2008 03:25 PM

@skaven510: Yeees! I was just playing the original yesterday. Awesome.

The Fifth Horseman 09-08-2008 05:23 PM

Space Hulk. It was goddamn great, and there hasn't been a proper Space Hulk game in over a decade (unless you count some obscure cellphone thing from 3 years ago).
Games Workshop aint gonna re-release the boardgame, aint gonna license a new Space Hulk game for PC... AND THEY KEEP SHUTTING DOWN ANY FAN-MADE SPACE HULK GAMES.
Argh.

powdernsky 09-08-2008 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman (Post 332944)
Space Hulk. It was goddamn great, and there hasn't been a proper Space Hulk game in over a decade (unless you count some obscure cellphone thing from 3 years ago).
Games Workshop aint gonna re-release the boardgame, aint gonna license a new Space Hulk game for PC... AND THEY KEEP SHUTTING DOWN ANY FAN-MADE SPACE HULK GAMES.
Argh.

What about Warhammer 40,000? Not quite the same?

Mmm. There is a fan-made game called "NetHulk". Really, I have no clue on how it's managed to survive, but it's still around. Wikipedia has a link.

MrDeadly 09-08-2008 05:56 PM

I have always - ever since Malcolm's Revenge - wished for a new Legend of Kyrandia game, although I now know it's not gonna come true.

Sebatianos 09-08-2008 07:22 PM

I'm still waiting... after some 20 years to see the official LucasArt's sequel to:
Zak McCracken and the Alien Mindbenders!

*Indignus IV??? You're back???*

Indignus IV 09-08-2008 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebatianos (Post 332971)

*Indignus IV??? You're back???*

yes, I am, though I'm not sure if this is the place to say it.
I was playing Alpha Centauri the other day, and I wondered if it
was abandonware. Then I thought of Abandonia, and I realized I have
some time on my hands and I remember all the good times I had,
writing reviews and learning about old Dos games. I'm glad to return. :amused:

Mighty Midget 10-08-2008 01:14 PM

Still waiting for Ultima IX, that is, a IX that is actually an Ultima game...

Jokes aside, still waiting for the next Frontier game from Braben. The X games were supposedly the sequels, but they aren't exactly in Frontier's league when it comes to freedom.

Panthro 10-08-2008 03:18 PM

@Mighty Midget:

totally agree about U9, I managed to get a copy, but havent installed it, as I'm worried I'll be disappointed on the same level as I was with the bizzare Quest for Glory 5, which I have desperately tried to get into, but it feels wrong to me.

Mighty Midget 10-08-2008 03:36 PM

By all means, UIX is a "somewhat" cool game, if you can live with glitches of all calibers, bugs, crashes and the Mario Bros feel. One way of coping with this particular game is to ignore the fact they want you to think of this as an Ultima game, and instead see it more like a Mel Brooks version. Hovering goats, skeleton rebuild routines gone completely wrong, voice acting that will push you well into the Land of Madness... Other than that, it is, and I honestly mean this, a rather cool linear non-rpg game...

Scatty 10-08-2008 05:04 PM

Well Ultima 9 has a very nice music for sure, and the locations look often very good too, especially Moonglow during the night looks really amazing. Once you're aboard the small flying ship it's a sight to remember.
The animations of creatures though are crappy. Just as an example those rogues you meet outside of Britannia who raise their arms once they see you as if they would be pulled up into the air by some force, and slowly begin to advance towards you one inch at a time. Ridiculous.

Blood-Pigggy 10-08-2008 11:09 PM

No, there is no way to enjoy IX even for the bugs, it hard locks too much. It hard locks when you do simple things like looking through a telescope five minutes into the game, every single time. It's unplayable.

Ultimate Carl 11-08-2008 03:16 AM

System Shock. Bioshock was good, but not quite the same. I want a System Shock 3, thanks. With the awesome RPG elements and all. Oh, and actually make it scary this time. As a disclaimer, I actually still LOVED Bioshock.

Duke Forever as someone mentioned. Duke 3D was such a good game, and I haven't been able to bring myself to play more than an hour of any Duke game made since.

Took long enough for them to make Doom 3. I guess that's my longest actual wait for a sequel that really exists.

Sticking with ID software, where's my Heretic/Hexen RPG? You made Doom RPG, and then the same technology got used to make Orcs & Elves, which is medieval Doom RPG... Why couldn't you base it off of the original medieval Doom!? And, hell, now they're going with Wolfenstein RPG (which I'm STOKED for, admittedly)... But, come ON! Hexen even already HAS RPG elements! Can't we at least get a DS port of Doom/Wolf RPG?

But most importantly...

Where's my sequel to Rune: Viking Warlord!?

Panthro 11-08-2008 05:41 PM

One of the reasons I'm anxious about the FO3 release is Bioshock, which promised to be more and different than system shock 3, but was in fact SS2 cut down and underwater.

I was also annoyed by its DRM, but now I don't think thats so bad 'cos I've only played it once through anyway, so if I can never install it again I'll not mind.

I also take great offence to being told you'd have choices and non-linear pathways, but instead you get a quite horrificly annoying plot twist...

Blood-Pigggy 11-08-2008 07:07 PM

I think the biggest reason to be worried about FO3 is that the developing company has shown that their last two RPGs were aimed towards incompetent morons.

Also they think that the FP view makes a game more "immersive" because having idiotic NPCs with atrocious AI, boring aimless schedules and a horribly dull game world with nothing in it that doesn't show through the seams is somehow more immersive than one of the most atmospheric RPGs ever.

Fallout was pretty much butchered permanently after PoS came out, Tactics was a decent spin-off but then it went down hill. FO3 is just more people who don't know anything about the license having their way with it.

Panthro 11-08-2008 08:20 PM

I've been watching the progress of FO3 through the eyes of NMA, who I trust to cut through the hype. (I've seen the Avatar avatar there... would that be you BP? I'm merely a long time lurker...)

And I can always play the original two, although it does seem a shame that modern developers can't create that quality now.

I still remember before Oblivion was released, and being shown in a gameplay video a shopkeeper having a full day of activities, showing that the world exists without you, which didn't seem to make it to the full game, at least in no way that could be identified. Surely that wasn't too hard? I mean to a certain extent Ultima did it perfectly well, esp. U7.

Anyway, this wasn't supposed to be a rant about Bethesda!

Back on topic I think.

I want a sequel to Baldurs Gate 2! or at least something done to that level... (I hear good noises about Dragon Age, despite the silly plot videos that have been shown so far.)

Blood-Pigggy 11-08-2008 09:17 PM

Yeah, that's me on NMA.
Those AI E3 videos Bethesda made were all scripted, which is astounding, how did they think anyone wouldn't notice that upon release?

Panthro 11-08-2008 10:17 PM

You say that but, how many reviews still gave it 10/10 or equivalent despite it not living up to its promises?

_r.u.s.s. 11-08-2008 10:49 PM

BUT IT HAS SHINY 123049823429038630498 POLYGONS AN AWSUM WATER OMG. HOW CAN YOU NOT GIVE IT 10/10 uppercase filter override

Blood-Pigggy 11-08-2008 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panthro (Post 333173)
You say that but, how many reviews still gave it 10/10 or equivalent despite it not living up to its promises?

Because they can't tell the difference between what's "fun" and what's "good" a reviewer's job is to technically dissect a game, not just decided if it's fun to play. Oblivion was a disaster in that respect. Everything about it is broken, from the most simple game mechanics to the visuals.

Unfortunatly, the gaming press is run by idiots.

JJXB 12-08-2008 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blood-Pigggy (Post 333183)
Unfortunatly, the gaming press is run by idiots.

Quoted for truth. anyway it has to either be Diablo III or fallout 3. hoping bethesda don't screw up or *sharpens factory blunted samurai swords*

zafo999 12-08-2008 06:02 AM

I know we'll never see them, but I want Space Quest 7 and Leisure Suit Larry 8.

Oh, and Duke Forever, of course. Always bet on Duke!

Panthro 12-08-2008 05:35 PM

If theres one thing we can all count on, its that we can always look forward to Duke Nukem Forever....

_r.u.s.s. 12-08-2008 05:38 PM

maybe developers made up an awesome joke with the game, calling it "forever", but nobody gets it

Rogue 18-08-2008 05:21 PM

Duke Nukem 3D....

Waiting forever.... :laugh:

Shuzz 19-08-2008 01:02 PM

For me, it would have to be a sequel to the Dungeon Keeper series.
I loved the first game, really enjoyed the second one, too.

Unfortunately, I think that the Duke has a higher chance of ever hitting the shelves than DK3.
Afaik, the game was already under development including areas out in the open and lots of other stuff when Bullfrog was bought out and the project was silently cancelled.

Scatty 19-08-2008 03:35 PM

They even released a short preview teaser back then too, accessible in Dungeon Keeper II main menu. Quite sad that such an interesting series was cancelled :(
But even so, they might have ruined it if they did release Dungeon Keeper 3. The second part already was a bit worse than the first, I think.

ShadowBlade 19-08-2008 04:12 PM

COLONIZATION! After 14 years of waiting, Firaxis' remake is coming out next month! :nuts:

As for my unfulfilled wait, well, there's X-COM, one of my favourite games of all time. No new proper sequels have come out since Apocalypse (no, the UFO series aren't related, nor is Extraterrestrials, even though it was pretty good).

bobson 21-08-2008 05:36 PM

I hope someone will make a Planescape: Torment II. I loved every part of this game. But ... is there anything to add??

Quote:

Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. (Post 332924)
i would like to see another dizzy by codemasters

That one would be really nice :D It could count as the longest waiting for me ... but probably it wouldn't be as much fun now as then

Quintopotere 22-08-2008 06:14 AM

I'm very disappointed :mad: by all of you: no one said Monkey Island V !!! :nuts:

Just in theese days I've read this interview to the allmighty Ron Gillbert (http://www.mixnmojo.com/features/rea...revenge&page=6):

"A few years ago I contacted LucasArts about doing a episodic MI3 (Monkey Island 3: The Secret Revealed or Your Money Back). They were interested and we had several months of discussions, but they it just ended. I never knew why. I'd jump at the chance if it came up again. I had a very cool story planned out."

That colud be a dream coming true!

Scatty 22-08-2008 06:30 AM

Umm, weren't there already released Monkey Island III - The Curse of Monkey Island and Monkey Island IV - Escape from Monkey Island ? So the review is not entirely factual.

Quintopotere 22-08-2008 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scatty (Post 334125)
Umm, weren't there already released Monkey Island III - The Curse of Monkey Island and Monkey Island IV - Escape from Monkey Island ? So the review is not entirely factual.

Those were not written by Ron... and he proposed his Monkey III before the other came out.
I'm hoping he'll use that old idea and story to make Monkey V!

Talin 24-08-2008 07:47 PM

Might & Magic 10, been waiting since 3DO went down.

_r.u.s.s. 24-08-2008 10:17 PM

come on, the might and magic series went down the drain after the 7th one

zaphod_x86 27-08-2008 12:20 PM

Been waiting for Fallout 3 since playing through part 2 around christmas 1998.

Now part 3 hopefully will be released in October/November.

DoomYoshi 27-08-2008 03:59 PM

I've been waiting for Jagged Alliance 2 to become abandonware ever since it was released;)

Loom was the best adventure game ever...too bad there were no sequels, even a spiritual sequel would quench me.

gregor 28-08-2008 12:32 PM

Propper Elder Scrolls sequel
X-Com (on earth and preferably with plausible game atmosphere)
Stalker: Clear Sky (soon)

olemars 28-08-2008 11:12 PM

It took Funcom ages to make a sequel to The Longest Journey, and now that they have Age of Conan to worry about it'll probably be another age until they make another... Especially annoying since Dreamfall ended on a giant cliffhanger.

Unlike many others I haven't really cared about DNF. There's been plenty of good shooters to fill the gap. What I have been missing is the space fighter genre, which died almost a decade ago.

PrejudiceSucks 31-08-2008 10:08 PM

Longest wait? Duke Nukem 3D :D

Borodin 04-09-2008 12:17 PM

Quote:

Might & Magic 10, been waiting since 3DO went down.
After what 3DO did with M&M IX, it might be wise to wait for Jon von Caneghem to get tired of his MMO venture. That could mean another few years.

Darklands is a candidate for longest sequel wait, certainly, though it's understandable. If you were a big name developer, you wouldn't want to put a lot of resources into a turn-based strategy title, or one that would require a lot of individuality in each of dozens of cities to give them character. An indie could do it without the fancy trimmings, and do it well, but the current license holder is being very tight-fisted about control of old Microprose properties. And that's not something an indie would willingly buck.

The current time is 10:51 PM (GMT)