Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Old Suggestions (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=144)
-   -   German genre tag (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=24500)

LordZsar1 19-04-2010 11:47 AM

German genre tag

The tag "fantasy" has no german translation - it's "fantasy" there as well.

I did some research on western germany (to see if they know it too) and apparently there indeed is a fitting german -rather: germanised - word that fits the purpose better than a 1:1 adoption:

The tag should be named "Phantastik".

Icewolf 19-04-2010 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordZsar1 (Post 403019)
The tag "fantasy" has no german translation - it's "fantasy" there as well.

I did some research on western germany (to see if they know it too) and apparently there indeed is a fitting german -rather: germanised - word that fits the purpose better than a 1:1 adoption:

The tag should be named "Phantastik".

Sorry, but better leave it with fantasy.

NOBODY in Germany says "Phantasik".

Capo 19-04-2010 04:10 PM

Well, in italian almost all the tags are totally random, so that is not a big issue i guess.

LordZsar1 19-04-2010 04:38 PM

Well, I do admit that I did not look as far west as Munich, but...

http://www.villa-galactica.de/HuM_Si...Entdeckung.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...astik_Ring.png

Oh, see: I picked Munich randomly and obviously I was wrong with that (the link below originates from the local university). ^^

http://www.theaterwissenschaft.uni-m...l/img079_l.jpg

@Icewolf: Just ask Google about "Phantastik" and choose "Seiten auf Deutsch". There is even a "Deutscher Phantastik Preis".
(Strange how they choose to use the english way to combine their nouns but stood with the german spelling... )

Icewolf 19-04-2010 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordZsar1 (Post 403036)
[...]
@Icewolf: Just ask Google about "Phantastik" and choose "Seiten auf Deutsch". There is even a "Deutscher Phantastik Preis".
(Strange how they choose to use the english way to combine their nouns but stood with the german spelling... )

It's not supposed to sound rude, but two things:

1. The internet doesn't tell me how to speak german.

2. Classifiying an international known game on an international website doesn't need EVERY phrase translated.
Fantasy is a well known genre all through the entertainment industry.
Of course we should protect our language from more anglisms.
This is going a bit too far, in my opinion.

What do the fellow users think? This might work for other languages as well.

hunvagy 20-04-2010 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icewolf (Post 403038)
It's not supposed to sound rude, but two things:

1. The internet doesn't tell me how to speak german.

2. Classifiying an international known game on an international website doesn't need EVERY phrase translated.
Fantasy is a well known genre all through the entertainment industry.
Of course we should protect our language from more anglisms.
This is going a bit too far, in my opinion.

What do the fellow users think? This might work for other languages as well.

Actually it never ever crossed my mind to localize fantasy or sci-fi. Seems pretty pointless because the genres are known as that in just about every language IMO. BTW, shouldn't that be "Phantasie" if you are so hellbent on localizing it?

LordZsar1 20-04-2010 09:20 AM

I did not make that one up, I am not the one to ask. The word was established as soon as 1980, earlier mayhap, and is therefore at least eight years older than I am.

"Phantasie", recently "Fantasie", means "imagination", the corresponding images ("figments") are usually referred to as "Phantastereien" (more often: "Einbildungen", "Hirngespinste", but those are obviously not related to the radical in question).
It is not associated with genre classification in any way I know about - it might be interesting that in literature, fictional situations are categorised as "imaginär", whereas "phantastisch" refers to those that are impossible to occur at the given time frame or with a time frame in the future.
As that is, there is indeed no german equivalent for the term "Science Fiction" and at least in eastern germany before 1990 it fell under "Phantastik" as well - though that appears to be not the case anymore.

Icewolf 20-04-2010 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunvagy (Post 403081)
Actually it never ever crossed my mind to localize fantasy or sci-fi. Seems pretty pointless because the genres are known as that in just about every language IMO. BTW, shouldn't that be "Phantasie" if you are so hellbent on localizing it?

I agree that that would be more proper.
Quote:

Originally Posted by LordZsar1 (Post 403086)
I did not make that one up, I am not the one to ask. The word was established as soon as 1980, earlier mayhap, and is therefore at least eight years older than I am.

"Phantasie", recently "Fantasie", means "imagination", the corresponding images ("figments") are usually referred to as "Phantastereien" (more often: "Einbildungen", "Hirngespinste", but those are obviously not related to the radical in question).
It is not associated with genre classification in any way I know about - it might be interesting that in literature, fictional situations are categorised as "imaginär", whereas "phantastisch" refers to those that are impossible to occur at the given time frame or with a time frame in the future.
As that is, there is indeed no german equivalent for the term "Science Fiction" and at least in eastern germany before 1990 it fell under "Phantastik" as well - though that appears to be not the case anymore.

Nobody is blaming you for making it up nor trolling you for posting crap or something like that.

We are just in doubt of the use of a translation.
To me it's pointless.

Japo 20-04-2010 11:19 AM

Oh là là fantastique! :smug:

:tease:

Kugerfang 20-04-2010 12:00 PM

I think the proper word is "Phantasmagoria".

The current time is 10:04 PM (GMT)