Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   General compatibility fixes (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   System Shock In Dosbox (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=1090)

BlackMageJawa 29-10-2004 08:29 PM

I finally got around to downloading System Shock. I know that this is notoriously difficult to get to work under XP, but several sites have said that it's easy to get running under DOSbox, just not very quickly. Well, since I have a fairly fast PC and the supposedly much-improved db0.62, I thought I'd give it a go.

But it doesn't seem to work.

I have found at least two other methods, but they're both rather complicated and involve downloading lots of other programs, so if at all possible I'd prefer to use DOSbox. Can anyone help?

Unknown Hero 29-10-2004 10:07 PM

Hey, wait. I'll call someone!
DATA!!!!! :help:
No responde. Sorry. Maybe he will come by tomorrow. You are not in hurry, aren't you? :hairpull:

alienstookmybeer 30-10-2004 01:33 PM

Dosbox isn't exactly the easier option if you can't get it to work!

Actually, I tried that as well and gave up and tried one of those other options... :whistle: VDMSound, but had to do much referring back to the ttlg forum to get it to work. But I've done tougher installs (SS2)

Interesting, it looks like a group is creating an SS2 mod that is basically a recreation of SS1. That might be done next year... very cool. Just the ability to map keys would be awesome.

BlackMageJawa 30-10-2004 03:11 PM

*Does the Black Mage dance*

Well, I gave up on DOSbox and tried the simpler of the two alternative methods I came across. It turns out that the main problem with the game is that it requires a certain type of memory that any NT-based Windows OS just doesn't do. At all. Ever.

So I had to download a modified version of CDSHOCK.EXE, designed to get around the memory problems, and replace the original one with that. Now it works perfectly, with much better sound than I usually get in DOSbox (though still a little buggy on the speech).

I just hope it isn't really as scary as everyone makes it out to be... :unsure:

Data 30-10-2004 03:23 PM

hmm though that system shock worked in dosbox.

Hmm abandonia doesn't have the game. So can't really test it.

Morrin 16-11-2004 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Data@Oct 30 2004, 03:23 PM
hmm though that system shock worked in dosbox.

Hmm abandonia doesn't have the game. So can't really test it.

It worked in my DosBox thought I haven't played it much. Im just not too attracted to this kind of oldies. When it's oldies, it's old oldies. :) System Shock 2 however is a pearl (as we say in finland). I've completed it thousands of times, last time in couple weeks ago.

FreeFreddy 16-11-2004 03:00 PM

And System Shock 1 was at times even better. :ok:
So if you didn't give it a chance, you better do. ;)

comatosesquirrel 18-01-2005 11:17 PM

If you were interested, somewhere online Through The Looking Glass studios host the ISO of Sytem Shock 1 for download (e.g full version with speach and 640x480 graphics etc... I can't remember the exact site however, but if I find it would people like me to post a link?

Also the TTLG forums have an excellent guide to getting both SShock games rulling on all systems... EVERYONE SHOULD PLAY THESE GAMES...

(they fear you human, for you are my avatar..)

Hooba 19-01-2005 10:19 PM

How to Run System Shock 1 on Windows 2000/XP FAQ v 1.0

Try it out, it worked for me.
And it really doesn't take too long.

Hope it works for you!

peter tron 24-10-2012 12:33 AM

morning!

i just downloaded system shock. i double clicked the cdshock.exe and was promptly told:

this application does not run in fullscreen mode. click 'close' to terminate the application.
any ideas?

cheers,

baz

The current time is 06:32 PM (GMT)