Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Need Help Getting Started (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=14368)

peka777 31-05-2007 10:32 PM

I am new to DOSBox and know very little about computers. I tried following the guide on Abandonia and apparently can't follow anything but the simplest instructions!

First of all, I got DOSBox installed. But the problem is with the games. I downloaded Betrayal at Krondor. The guide says to use Win-something to extract files. I go on My Computer, C Drive, DOS, FILES. When I get here, I have three icons:
1. A folder labeled Betrayal at Krondor
2. A folder with a zipper that's labeled the same as 1
3. An icon that looks like a collection of an open box, cd, and a computer labeled DOSBox0.70-win32-installer.

Selecting #1 brings up 20 symbols

(Labeled: GAMES, DRIVE.CFG- cfg file, GENMIDI-device driver, INSTALL - help file, INSTALL - text document, KRONDOR.CFG - cfg file, KRONDOR - rmf file, README - text document, SNDBLAST - device driver, STD - device driver, TEMP.GAM - gam file, ADL - device driver, FRP.SX - sx file, INSTALL, INSTALL - screen saver, KRONDOR , KRONDOR.001 - 001 file, MT32 - device driver, RESOURCE.CFG - cfg file, STARTUP.GAM - gam file, SX.OVL - ovl file, VMCODE.OVL - ovl file)

Selecting #2 brings up 22 symbols.

(Labeled: GAMES, ADL, DRIVE.CFG, FRP.SX, GENMIDI, INSTALL, INSTALL, INSTALL, KRONDOR, KRONDOR, KRONDOR, KRONDOR, MT32, README, RESOURCE, STARTUP.GAM, STD, SX.OVL, TEMP.GAM, VMCODE.OVL)

In the left had margin under folder tasks is "Extract all files"

Selecting #3 brings up run or cancel. If I select run, it displays the license agreement, agreeing brings me to beginning the installation (but I have already installed it and it is on my start menu--I did all the things described in Abandonia's guide)

I have no idea what to do and I don't understand the difference between the symbols that are displayed. The challenge is to write simple enough instructions that even I can follow! This would be no easy task, I can assure you, but thanks for any help anyone can give me because I really want to try out this game.

Mighty Midget 31-05-2007 10:48 PM

About Q 3, that would be the DOSbox installer, and since you already have installed DOSbox, you don't need to think about that.

Q 2: That is the zip archive that is, the package the game came as. You need to extract the files from thaat package to a folder of your choise. For that you'll need a "packing/unpacking" program such as WinZip. When/if you have this installed, right click on the game archive and select "unpack to..." or whatever it says. Point is you want to decide where to unpack it.

Q 1: You already have a folder named BaK? Did you create it yourself or did you already unpack the archive?

IMPORTANT: In DOS and DOSbox no file/folder name can be longer than 8 characters, so a folder named "Betrayal At Krondor" would have to be renamed, for instance "BaK".

peka777 31-05-2007 11:14 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mighty Midget @ May 31 2007, 05:48 PM) [snapback]292413[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

About Q 3, that would be the DOSbox installer, and since you already have installed DOSbox, you don't need to think about that.

Q 2: That is the zip archive that is, the package the game came as. You need to extract the files from thaat package to a folder of your choise. For that you'll need a "packing/unpacking" program such as WinZip. When/if you have this installed, right click on the game archive and select "unpack to..." or whatever it says. Point is you want to decide where to unpack it.

Q 1: You already have a folder named BaK? Did you create it yourself or did you already unpack the archive?

IMPORTANT: In DOS and DOSbox no file/folder name can be longer than 8 characters, so a folder named "Betrayal At Krondor" would have to be renamed, for instance "BaK".
[/b]
I extracted the files by selecting "extract all files." I don't know what program is being used to extract files (I'm running Windows XP).

Mighty Midget 31-05-2007 11:28 PM

Ok, if I remember correctly, the game will then unpack in the same folder as the archive is in. This may or may not be your DOSBox games folder. It seems however, that you have the archive in the games folder so on we go:

I assume you have set up DOSBox according to the FAQ so that you have a c:\games folder when you run DOSBox (more see below)

Rename the unpacked folder (the one with a plain folder icon) to something with 8 characters or less

From within DOSBox, use these commands to navigate to the games folder:

cd (means change directory/folder)
cd.. means change directory one level up
cd [folder name] means change directory down (to the specified folder)

dir displays contents of directory
dir/p displays directory contents one monitor screen at a time

Locate your c:\games\[game's name] folder and type dir.exe, dir.bat or dir.com. This will list all exe, bat or com files in the games folder

Now, try it out. Do you see any of these file types?

peka777 31-05-2007 11:45 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mighty Midget @ May 31 2007, 06:28 PM) [snapback]292419[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Ok, if I remember correctly, the game will then unpack in the same folder as the archive is in. This may or may not be your DOSBox games folder. It seems however, that you have the archive in the games folder so on we go:

I assume you have set up DOSBox according to the FAQ so that you have a c:\games folder when you run DOSBox (more see below)

Rename the unpacked folder (the one with a plain folder icon) to something with 8 characters or less

From within DOSBox, use these commands to navigate to the games folder:

cd (means change directory/folder)
cd.. means change directory one level up
cd [folder name] means change directory down (to the specified folder)

dir displays contents of directory
dir/p displays directory contents one monitor screen at a time

Locate your c:\games\[game's name] folder and type dir.exe, dir.bat or dir.com. This will list all exe, bat or com files in the games folder

Now, try it out. Do you see any of these file types?
[/b]

I changed the name of the file to BaK.
Opened DOSBox, typed dir, it came up with 0 file(s), 2 dir(s)
At this point I am lost

Mighty Midget 31-05-2007 11:47 PM

Ok, I guess you saw the prompt C:\>

That means you are "at the top" as far as directories go. What was the names of those 2 directories you found when typing dir?

peka777 31-05-2007 11:53 PM

It has no names in the window when I type dir. it just reads 2 dir(s) 110,540,800 Bytes free.

Am I supposed to be looking in the other window (status window)? It reads, MIDI:Opened device:win32.

Mighty Midget 31-05-2007 11:54 PM

Hmmmm did you set up DOSBox exactly the way it's explained in the FAQ?

peka777 01-06-2007 12:06 AM

I think the only exception I made was in the naming of the file for DOSBox. But it's in my start menu. When I select it, two windows appear.

One has the heading DOSBox 0.70, Cpu Cycles: 3000 , Frameskip 0, Program: DOSBox. Inside the window is: C:\>

The second window has the heading DOSBox Status Window. Inside is CONFIG: Loading primary settings from config file C:\Program Files\ DOSBox 0.70\dosbox.config
MIDI:Opened device:win32

Also, if you look at my original post, I added information (the names of the symbols when I click on the files).

Mighty Midget 01-06-2007 05:51 AM

The one with the C:\> is the one you want. Just let the other run open in the background.

Now, in XP, open up the folder you chose back when you configured DOSBox mounting the fake C drive (just open DOSBox conf and have a look if you don't remember)
What folders/files are in that folder?

The current time is 09:27 PM (GMT)