Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Games Discussion (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Stars! (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=23787)

TotalAnarchy 20-02-2010 06:10 PM

Stars!

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)

Luchsen 20-02-2010 09:48 PM

Wow, that's probably the "most awaited" game. There was talk about getting it on site all the years. That's no statement about EoF's pace or reliability, though. :laugh:

atom79 21-02-2010 10:52 AM

how i run it on windows 7? :rocks:

thanxs ! ( DOS-box is not compatible )

Luchsen 21-02-2010 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Stars! does not run on the 64-bit version of Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7, which cannot run 16-bit software. However, it can be played on a virtual machine like Virtual Windows XP on Windows 7 [1], or in VirtualPC on earlier 64 bit versions of windows.

If you have the 32-bit W7, you should be able to simply execute it and play away. :)

Tomekk 21-02-2010 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luchsen (Post 397385)
If you have the 32-bit W7, you should be able to simply execute it and play away. :)

I have 64bit Win7 and it doesn't work with any compability mode :(

atom79 21-02-2010 01:15 PM

for virtualpc it needs Windows 7 pro :wall:

there are other ways ? :doh:

TotalAnarchy 21-02-2010 02:23 PM

Did you people read the readme?

Luchsen 21-02-2010 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atom79 (Post 397397)
for virtualpc it needs Windows 7 pro :wall:

there are other ways ? :doh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Virtual Windows XP on Windows 7

Eagle of Fire 21-02-2010 04:59 PM

At last! :p

I'd like to point out that I left a lot of details by purpose in my review. I didn't want to write an essay of 10 pages, so I left it simple...

If someone have any question about how to play the game, I'll be happy to answer to the best of my abilities. :)

Quote:

I have 64bit Win7 and it doesn't work with any compability mode
I am afraid that this is not a problem with the game itself, but more a problem with Micro$oft deciding to retire compatibility with old systems... Every 64 bits systems which got out recently are not compatible with 16 bit programs, such as old DOS games and... Any program made for Win 3.11.

To be able to play STARS! in such a situation, you need to use either:
  • DOSBox along with a copy of Win 3.11 (you can find a pre-made DOSBox/Win3.11 version here (download DOSBoxStars.rar 4.92MB))
  • Realise that 64bits OSes are incompatible with old games, and are thus useless (:p)
  • Use en emulator other than DOSBox to be able to get the compatibility you need via another system (anything up to XP works way past fine).
  • Partition your HD with another kind of OS simply to play old games.

This game doesn't require an entry in the registery to work, but will try to write a configuration file in the default Windows directory. This was standard procedure in Win3.11. If your OS forbid STARS! from writing a file in your Windows standard directory then the game will still work but with default settings, and you will need to enter your serial key every single time.

-EoF

Gordon Overkill 23-02-2010 09:15 AM

Wow, just downloaded the game and it still looks quite complicated to me! Since I'm a big fan of 4x strategy (but till now rather the "easy" games like MOO) I guess I will dedicate some time to stars! and see how much fun it has to offer!

Greetings from Germany and (once again) thanks for the upload,
Gordon

The current time is 01:11 AM (GMT)