Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Community News & Feedback (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Main page loading for half an hour and still not finished (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=28793)

kmonster 16-07-2012 10:46 PM

Main page loading for half an hour and still not finished

The drop down menu for the daily screenshot quiz still won't work.

The Fifth Horseman 16-07-2012 11:07 PM

Which language version? Does the same occur on reloading the page?

kmonster 16-07-2012 11:10 PM

Opera (German language browser but I visit the English abandonia site) is still loading the page. Now has reached "Elemente 315/316". Now even 316/317. I guess in an hour it would display 450/451 or so and still not work, not looking differently from the beginning.

Used IE and it worked immediately. Going to bed now. Good night to everyone.

The Fifth Horseman 17-07-2012 01:50 AM

The only thing I can think of is that the problem is caused by one of the ads. Unless Opera can provide you with info on what element it's currently trying to get?

Eagle of Fire 17-07-2012 02:45 AM

Actually, the most likely culprit are either Goggle or Facebook links. We do have a Facebook banner on the main page right?

When their servers lag, the whole page lag. This is true of any website.

dosraider 17-07-2012 03:34 AM

This:
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman (Post 444043)
The only thing I can think of is that the problem is caused by one of the ads. Unless Opera can provide you with info on what element it's currently trying to get?

And this:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire (Post 444044)
Actually, the most likely culprit are either Goggle or Facebook links. We do have a Facebook banner on the main page right?

When their servers lag, the whole page lag. This is true of any website.

Indeed.
Same prob here sometimes, when one of those @#@#@# ad sites lag, the whole thing needs a lot of time to load.

.... and: as there are a lot of ads ...... :mhh:

.... andē: as it also seems those bloody ads likes to refresh themselves continuously ..... plenty of 'connecting' messages.

Eagle of Fire 17-07-2012 05:22 AM

Exactly why one day (a long time ago) I finally said "screw you ads, even when you are legitimate and do help the site in question" and started using adblockers indiscriminately.

dosraider 17-07-2012 06:04 AM

Yep, good we have those ad block addons ... :lol:

Problem is of course when I'm not@home, (babysitting, whatever...)then when I'm taking a look @ AB ..... ow man .... :picard: pfffffffffffffffffffffffffff.

I guess that's the diff between sites that are up for the love of old games and sites that wants to make money of them .....
If your goal is making money, yep, ads is the way to go.

Japo 17-07-2012 05:18 PM

Yes, Abandonia is the only reason I started blocking ads, I went for many many years without doing so, but one day here it was too much. And blocking them the improvement in speed in immense.

The current time is 11:24 PM (GMT)