Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Games Discussion (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Shadow President (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=6392)

Reup 24-07-2005 09:49 AM

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)

A. J. Raffles 24-07-2005 09:55 AM

Not quite historically accurate, is it?:huh: The Berlin Wall fell in November 1989; I remember seeing it on the news.

Guest 24-07-2005 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by A. J. Raffles@Jul 24 2005, 09:55 AM
Not quite historically accurate, is it?:huh: The Berlin Wall fell in November 1989; I remember seeing it on the news.
Ah, but did it really happen? Was there ever a Berlin wall at all? Was there ever such a thing as the Soviet Union? The moon landings were faked in a Burbank studio,you know... :P

A. J. Raffles 24-07-2005 10:25 AM

Fair enough. Then how can we be sure that the president of the US exists? Ah, right, that's why the game is called Shadow President, I suppose. Looks interesting, by the way. Too bad I suck at simulation games.

Sebatianos 24-07-2005 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Guest@Jul 24 2005, 12:19 PM
Ah, but did it really happen? Was there ever a Berlin wall at all? Was there ever such a thing as the Soviet Union? The moon landings were faked in a Burbank studio,you know... :P
Darn. A person I can't be sure that exists is writing things with letters I can't be sure I see...
I hate subliminal messages. I guess this person is telling me it needs some good history books, but I'm just not sure if any exist. :bleh:

Great game by the way (but can I really download it).

Shpanks 24-07-2005 12:09 PM

Every time I run the program, it gets to the Shadow President screen, plays a bit of music and locks up.

cam 24-07-2005 12:19 PM

Me too.

Guest 24-07-2005 12:30 PM

Also. Anyone have a solution? Or do you have to get the copy protection right?

Triton 24-07-2005 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by A. J. Raffles@Jul 24 2005, 05:55 AM
I meant "after," ~~~~ it.

gudi87 24-07-2005 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Shpanks@Jul 24 2005, 12:09 PM
Every time I run the program, it gets to the Shadow President screen, plays a bit of music and locks up.
Any help, please :ranting: :ranting: :ranting:

A. J. Raffles 24-07-2005 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Triton+Jul 24 2005, 01:35 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Triton @ Jul 24 2005, 01:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-A. J. Raffles@Jul 24 2005, 05:55 AM
I meant "after," ~~~~ it. [/b][/quote]
Actually it's the game that has it wrong: "1 June 1990,... the Berlin Wall is falling" So your review is correct.:)

Sebatianos 24-07-2005 02:49 PM

That's odd.
This game won't work for me while using WinXP, but it runs normaly in DOSBox (I'm using DOSBox 0.63).
For all who have problems with running this game in windows I suggest you still try DOSBox (but get the newest version just in case).

MacLeod22 24-07-2005 03:03 PM

Does anyone know if the sequel to this game is abandon ware? It was called Cyber Judas I believe. I never got a chance to play it and really enjoy shadow president.

A. J. Raffles 24-07-2005 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by MacLeod22@Jul 24 2005, 03:03 PM
Does anyone know if the sequel to this game is abandon ware? It was called Cyber Judas I believe. I never got a chance to play it and really enjoy shadow president.
Still sold, I'm afraid. You can buy it at Chips & Bits.

DakaSha 24-07-2005 05:07 PM

im running Xp and it works fine... with sound and all... just configure your soundcard and run it

seems to be a VERY cool game. never heard of it to tell the truth :blink:

**EDIT**

at the copy protecion screen just press enter

TheRealShadowPresident 24-07-2005 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by MacLeod22@Jul 24 2005, 03:03 PM
That game doesn't work in XP. Unfortunate, because some scenarios were very fun.

Anyway, one thing I could never figure out in Shadow President was the budget. I'd always lose chunks of approval because of it. Anybody know the optimum setting?

cam 24-07-2005 07:46 PM

Yup. Using DosBox works. :D

Guest 24-07-2005 07:56 PM

Quote:

Anyway, one thing I could never figure out in Shadow President was the budget. I'd always lose chunks of approval because of it. Anybody know the optimum setting?
I give most favored trad partner to as many countries as possible u will loose quite some approval when you givre it to the Sovjet Union, but with the money you mak its no problem to boost your approval rating over 60% and get an economic growth rate of 5%

Triton 24-07-2005 11:03 PM

Has anyone else figured out how to prevent Iraq from invading Kuwait? There's a trick to it, and it causes no bloodshed.

Authorman 25-07-2005 12:15 AM

I had one small problem with the game, when I clicked to get to the budget menu the game locked up. Any suggestions? I was using Dosbox 0.63 at the time.

Thank you.

Matt Shizzle 25-07-2005 01:01 AM

:help:
Ummm.... Doesn't this have copy protection for anyone else?

In what I downloaded it asks who said a certain quote that is available in the manual. Manual not available here! :crazy:

MattShizzle 25-07-2005 01:10 AM

And what the heck are you supposed to do with that DOS Box thing, for those of us who never had an older PC. :crazy:

Borodin 25-07-2005 03:23 AM

Have you tried reading the FAQ up at the DOSbox main site, to learn how to use it? There aren't that many commands.

Reup 25-07-2005 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Matt Shizzle@Jul 25 2005, 02:01 AM

In what I downloaded it asks who said a certain quote that is available in the manual. Manual not available here! :crazy:

Just type anything and press enter. That should work fine :ok:

TheRealShadowPresident 25-07-2005 07:34 AM

Quote list for anyone interested...

Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4

Now, somebody needs to whip up a single downloadable text file while I sleep... :whistle:

Guest 25-07-2005 02:07 PM

I love this game! I nuke everything, and it rocks. I nuked France for saying they don't like me.

Havell 25-07-2005 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Guest@Jul 25 2005, 03:07 PM
I nuked France for saying they don't like me.
:ok:

Just downloaded this game, looks great. I'll probably end up being best friends with the soviet union, is there any way to make it so that communism doesn't collapse?

Guest 25-07-2005 02:49 PM

My guess would be supply them with aid, improve relations, be on their side in any conflict.

Data 25-07-2005 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Authorman@Jul 25 2005, 01:15 AM
I had one small problem with the game, when I clicked to get to the budget menu the game locked up. Any suggestions? I was using Dosbox 0.63 at the time.

Thank you.

That's the reason the game didn't get a dosbox compatible icon.

It always hangs there. unrelated to the sound settings etc.

Apperantly it works in XP (that budget thing)
Hence It's assumed the game is incompatible with dosbox.

Vidrik 25-07-2005 10:45 PM

Damn. Any tips on preventing Iraq from invading Kuwait? My CIA director says something about lowering Iraq's ambition rating or raising its Ethic rating, but pretty much all of the options that affect those two stats have abysmally low chances of success.

Eventually I gave upand started deploying troops in Saudi Arabia, but when the war started, it took forever to kill any reasonable number of Iraqi troops. So I got impatient and nuked them, followed by China and FRANCE's nuking of me. Ouch. :/

Doc Adrian 26-07-2005 01:26 AM

the low chance of success is realistic, preventing the war is pretty tough to do. Its also good to boost relations with the surrounding countrys and try to lower the tension for the whole region with conferences I think

Triton 26-07-2005 04:27 AM

You're not going to lower Iraq's ambition level any time soon, unless you stage a coup or assassinate the leader [Saddam], both of which are highly unlikely.

Steps to preventing the Kuwait invasion:

-As soon as you begin the game, bring military and intelligence aid in Iraq to 0, and restrict trade completely. It won't hurt America, but it will really damage Iraq. Iraq's ambition may go up, but this helps more in the long run.

-Send military and intelligence aid to Kuwait.

-In the beginning of July, remove 60,000-70,000 troops from Germany and station most of them in Kuwait and the rest in Saudi Arabia (you need to access the War Room for the country you're changing troop levels in). This will form a massive buildup that may scare Iraq into changing its mind. Consider how well your troops are trained (in excess of $100k per soldier) to Iraq's (barely $15k).

-Increase intelligence spending in Iraq by at least $100 units.

-Condemn Iraq often.

If you hold off the war until mid-August, Iraq will focus itself on Egypt. They will try to assassinate the leader or plan a coup. If you don't, have your soldiers fight a defensive war, but don't invade Iraq. You can, however, perform surgical strikes on Iraq to cut its effectiveness in the war. If Iraq does declare war, use all of the options to oppose it (UN, coalition, etc).

Abi79 26-07-2005 08:10 AM

Hmm... It seems that this game is not so bad after all. I think I'll download it.

PrejudiceSucks 26-07-2005 11:25 AM

It's pretty good, yeah. I got the Sov. Union on my side and then fired 2000 nukes at China (I was very bored) - They were the only people to defend me!

Unright 26-07-2005 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Vidrik@Jul 25 2005, 10:45 PM
Damn. Any tips on preventing Iraq from invading Kuwait? My CIA director says something about lowering Iraq's ambition rating or raising its Ethic rating, but pretty much all of the options that affect those two stats have abysmally low chances of success.

Eventually I gave upand started deploying troops in Saudi Arabia, but when the war started, it took forever to kill any reasonable number of Iraqi troops. So I got impatient and nuked them, followed by China and FRANCE's nuking of me. Ouch. :/

That's close to what I did.. Except I got impatient and nuked Kuwait. Germany and Canada tried to condemn me but failed (taking a Leadership blow themselves), UK severed trade agreements, and France sent a Peace envoy.

Odd reactions all around...

Just a guest I guess 26-07-2005 02:43 PM

Hi I downloaded the game but the mouse keeps dissapearing after I click on the budget button. Can anybody help?

Borodin 26-07-2005 02:47 PM

Are you using DOSbox?

Abi79 26-07-2005 03:10 PM

I've got a question. Is there any sound in this game ? I ran the sound setup program and I found and selected my sound card, but I can't hear any sound in this game.

TheRealShadowPresident 26-07-2005 07:46 PM

From what I remember about the sound, you aren't missing anything...

Imagine the old games where you'd choose "PC Speaker"...

Doc Adrian 26-07-2005 08:38 PM

I get bored after a while when the game goes smoothly and just attack or blow something up..I do that in the Sims and Civ too (after I save the game)

I am kind of scared to think what would happen if I got bored and was really leader of a country with an army that big...nah...only if I could save first.

Has anyone ever played the very nonabandoned game called Superpower? I like how I can make Belgium or Croatia into a military superpower with that. I would love Shadowpresident if it was multiplayer and you could be other countries.

ric 26-07-2005 08:50 PM

how do you run this using winxp, thnx

goldmember 26-07-2005 09:28 PM

woah i really want to play this game. it sounds really great!

why don't any games companies make games like these anymore?

Borodin 26-07-2005 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by goldmember@Jul 26 2005, 09:28 PM

Who says they don't? Superpower was an obvious attempt to do a more ambitious Shadow President, right down to many of the same menu options. I think Superpower failed because thd developers haven't got any idea how to implement decent AI.

goldmember 26-07-2005 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Borodin+Jul 26 2005, 10:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Borodin @ Jul 26 2005, 10:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-goldmember@Jul 26 2005, 09:28 PM

Who says they don't? Superpower was an obvious attempt to do a more ambitious Shadow President, right down to many of the same menu options. I think Superpower failed because thd developers haven't got any idea how to implement decent AI. [/b][/quote]
Ah i see. Never heard of Superpower game before till now. Do you know where I can get hold of it from?

Guest 26-07-2005 10:39 PM

Hey, I just found this (hope the mods don't mind I post the link here):
http://www.mofunzone.com/download_ga...rpower_2.shtml

Borodin 27-07-2005 02:31 AM

Bear in mind, it's got a lousy interface, and poor AI. Nothing to compare with Shadow President, or CyberJudas. But at least it's pointed in the right direction! We need more games that are innovative, not the endless RTS clones, action clones, arcade clones...

ted 27-07-2005 04:01 AM

das just the demo :(

Doc Adrian 27-07-2005 04:20 AM

I think its still for sale Ted..I bought it last year around Christmastime...they also have part 2 out now if you want to check the stores.

Just a guest I guess 27-07-2005 09:04 AM

Yes I am using dosbox. I got sound working without much of a problem. The program did not run under xp though so I used dosbox.

Btw. Besides pressing enter at the quotes their is also a quote.txt file included with the program.

Just a guest I guess 27-07-2005 09:46 AM

Btw the dosbox version is 0.63.

punch999 27-07-2005 08:33 PM

just run the sound config choos no sound card and then run the .exe it should run good as gold

punch999 27-07-2005 11:12 PM

The button you are looking for is right under tab and right over shift. And then what is a good game because I am pretty sure IMHO that shadow president is a awesome game. And currentlly is my second favorite.

oh and btw if you would like to review and upload a game just pm kosta He will tell you what to do :D

gondrong 29-07-2005 09:11 AM

it work for me in dosbox :D

btw, do anyone know how to make a country be our alliance? and how to make other country help us attacking other country? is there any manual for this game?

sorry to much question :D

Doc Adrian 29-07-2005 11:05 AM

hmm on xp it locked up for me too so I used DOS box and it works fine unless I go to the budget screen...but then it locks up. Anyone else had that happen?

Oberon 29-07-2005 12:26 PM

Are there any new scenarios? in the game are only 3 or 4 scenarios to choose.. i asking my self, if there are any new scenarios around the net..?

btw. if u start war against irak or defend kuwait u will loose popularity, the best thing to prevent this is to perform (during the war) as many Surgical Strikes as possible...

Borodin 29-07-2005 02:07 PM

No new scenarios. The game never really took off, though it did cause quite a stir in the AI community and among more thoughtful strategy gamers. This also applies to Cyber Judas, which was essentially Shadow President with a new front end and a second tier game built around the core.

Guest 29-07-2005 09:34 PM

how do I run this on the DOSbox...it says something about mounting the file and I have no idea what it means

Borodin 30-07-2005 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Guest@Jul 29 2005, 09:34 PM
how do I run this on the DOSbox...it says something about mounting the file and I have no idea what it means
Read the manual.

Guest_gondrong 31-07-2005 08:05 AM

anyone know any fansite or offical website of this game?

Guest_gondrong 31-07-2005 08:26 AM

anyone know place for dl cyberjudas?

Reup 31-07-2005 08:31 AM

CyberJudas is still being sold... it's not abandonware yet, so no downloads. Maybe you can get a cheap copy on ebay.

Guest 31-07-2005 11:04 AM

How do I get the Soviet Union to collapse without causing a nuclear war?

Triton 31-07-2005 08:22 PM

I'll get back to you on that. Right now, I'd try to bring down their ambition level and increase ethics.

HarryMoe 01-08-2005 10:34 PM

There is a way to add new scenarios. Someone a number of years ago had made a module for UGE. With it you can change the ideology of all countries, ownership and trade (I think you could change ethics and ambition too but I can't remember everything that was in it. To bad you couldn't change the countrty you controlled). I remember the readme told how to make a new scenario though I don't recall if I made one so I don't remember much about that.
The changing of trade status in that editor was a great way to bring up your countries money along with the others (or hurt them). If you went in and changed certain countries to blocked trade you could then go back and give them a better trading status. You could do the opposite to hurt someone economy.

Great game though. Always went for Iraq and did surgical strikes as it drove up my popularity. (Certain countries it seemed to work for me to do this). Took over the entire world except Hong Kong and a couple others as it always seemed to crash my game. Key was to always win another war before your pop plummeted.

Also if you threaton with war or nukes against Iraq when they want to go into Kuwait I believe that usally works if I recall.
Though if you want to fight them then up your trtoops in Saudia Arabia and then ask Iraq to place troops there. Other countries will offer to station your troops and just keep going until you have no other choices. Turkey will usally accept and the Saudi-Iraqi Neutral zone and Kuwait sometimes. So in total you can have 8 million troops to pound the Iraqis. Just remember that there really doesn't seem to be a limit to the amount of troops you can deploy around the world except for the limit in the country itself.

I didn't care for CyberJudas as much.

Danny252 02-08-2005 08:49 PM

well, Ill see if I can run it in windows/vdmsound maybe...

Triton 02-08-2005 11:33 PM

If you can force Iraq to give up its plans of invading instead of going to war with them, you can save lives, money, and ultimately boost your popularity. If you do anything, try to sabotage Iraq's national assets to drive its social outcry up to 75% (it starts at about 30%); at that point, supply arms to rebels and try to stage a coup d'etat. Once the coup succeeds, immediately invade Iraq and take it over using the troops you've based in Turkey, Saudi Arabia, and Kuwait, or a similar government will take its place.

Jenkins 02-08-2005 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Doc Adrian@Jul 29 2005, 11:05 AM
hmm on xp it locked up for me too so I used DOS box and it works fine unless I go to the budget screen...but then it locks up. Anyone else had that happen?
Same for me, Dosb 0.63 locks up when I access the budget screen. Quite annoying if I want to change the outcome about the budget.

Danny252 03-08-2005 05:42 PM

Well do what you should. turn off sound and use windows. works much faster.

Blood-Pigggy 03-08-2005 05:44 PM

I found out that I could play it on DosBox without locking up at the budget screen.

I have no clue how though, a few times it kept jamming, then all of a sudden it started working.

By the way, I adore this game.

Danny252 03-08-2005 09:07 PM

I was invading iraq with help from turkey, then I saw this little number.
Soviet troops in iraq: 2000: defending
I thought 'crap.'
then I went for afganistan with pakistan helping. even more soviets. then the soviets got grumpy... I moved troops into china, south korea, svalbard, norway and turkey (All next or near to soviets or major soviet territories)
Then I did some surgical strikes on iraq, afghanistan and russia. now my Effectiveness rose to 100% after some attacks on russia worked.

then they nuked me..

the US was down to 23,000,000 people, 2 advisors dead. I nuked russia back. I then invaded russia and nuked china, italy, the UK and canada for annoying me. Then the pakistanis surrendered in afghanistan and the turks in iraq. and the ruskies had 3x my troop numbers.

I lost. The world was in 'Anarchy' and my QofL was 24%. about .5% above the average.

Doubler 03-08-2005 09:59 PM

A president decided he did not like the Netherlands, and nuked it. The handfull of survivors in the Netherlands condemned the attack on their country, but of course this backfired ( :P ). The United Kingdom showed their gratitude by improving their relations with the US.
The US then decides to attack the Netherlands from troops stationed in Germany, aided by Canadese and GB troops. The handfull of Dutch survivors, however, manage to hold of the invading force (which was over 50 times as large, I believe).
Following these events the US president is murdered.

Does everyone start this game by nuking their own country? *:evil:*
I know. Childish, isn't it? The balance seems a bit off, though. Or are we Dutch really that hated that most nations wouldn't care if the US bombed us to hell? :unsure:

Guest 04-08-2005 02:47 PM

What if you start the game invading your non-nuclear neighbors like mexico (top choice since theyre weaker than canada) and then canada (i believe theyre non-nuclear)? I guess what i'm trying to ask is if you take over the country, do you become even more powerful with more assets in your grip, or do nuclear nations get annoyed/scared and nuke you? j/w because i'm thinking about a slow imperial progression kinda game where I invade my neighbors, then I get political and I pound iraq with surgical strikes which always boosted my pop support when election comes around ha.

Oberon 04-08-2005 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by HarryMoe@Aug 1 2005, 10:34 PM
There is a way to add new scenarios. Someone a number of years ago had made a module for UGE. With it you can change the ideology of all countries, ownership and trade (I think you could change ethics and ambition too but I can't remember everything that was in it. To bad you couldn't change the countrty you controlled). I remember the readme told how to make a new scenario though I don't recall if I made one so I don't remember much about that.
The changing of trade status in that editor was a great way to bring up your countries money along with the others (or hurt them). If you went in and changed certain countries to blocked trade you could then go back and give them a better trading status. You could do the opposite to hurt someone economy.

Well i found that UGE stuff but i don't know how to Edit those files :wall: , anyway here is the link for the UGE file .. good luck

Guest 05-08-2005 01:46 AM

I tried to do different things.... My last game I tried going on a crusade in 3rd world communist countries and installing new government, but public support eventually ruined the game when they kicked me out for ending communism and ending any possible post-communistic dictatorships into capitalistic nations!!! That really sucked.... Thought I was doing a good job actually. Ah well

Guest 05-08-2005 01:48 AM

Now my gameplan is taking out aid to countries that don't affect my nations economy! Does this game ever end on its own?

HarryMoe 05-08-2005 05:32 PM

Editing the files with UGE I found that copying the files you wish to edit (morenums.* or numbers.*) to your UGE directory is the easiest. In UGE press a to add a module. You will want to pick either one of the sptrade ones (You are usally 1 in trade but can drop lower) or the sppoldat one which you edit the ownership, ethics ideology and ambition. Once done just copy the edited file such as numbers.2 or whatever it may be and paste it back in the Shadow President directory. The readme for the UGE module explains it pretty good. Hopefully that helps you out some.

Quote:

Now my gameplan is taking out aid to countries that don't affect my nations economy! Does this game ever end on its own?
Also I don't think this game ever ends but maybe it does. I have let the thing run for a long period of time.

Quote:

What if you start the game invading your non-nuclear neighbors like mexico (top choice since theyre weaker than canada) and then canada (i believe theyre non-nuclear)?
If you can get Mexico and Canada you will gain from that. Good way to balance the budget. You will also notice a population enlargement, income and whatever else it may change when you look at the statistic maps. If you took over a bunch of poorer nations you would notice the income level of the US would be down. Only problem with taking Canada or Mexico is it can really hurt your approval but you should be able to get away with it as long as you can stop them from removing you from office.

Triton 06-08-2005 04:37 AM

Libya hijacked an American passenger plane and made a mess of things, so I started brow beating them. I blocked trade, sold weapons to rebels, and constantly condemned them. My effectiveness eventually dropped to 30% due to all the times they condemned me. I found that if you enter the war room for a hostile country, you automatically negotiate with surrounding countries for a place to station your troops along that border. Even if you can't find a place, military tension in the region will rise greatly, and can be used to bug stubborn countries.

When I was bullying Iraq out of invading Saudi Arabia, I performed probably 20 or more surgical strikes on them, but it killed my ethics and raised ambition... I need a good way to repair ethics and raise effectiveness.

Guest 06-08-2005 12:12 PM

I have a question regarding this game. I got reelected in 1997 (IIRC) so i entered my 3rd term. I thought that game ends in 1997 so is it open-ended?

Triton 06-08-2005 08:22 PM

It probably is, since presidents are in office for no more than two terms.

Unright 07-08-2005 01:27 AM

Is there a way to add/remove countries from your world team alliance?

Guest 07-08-2005 02:50 PM

Anybody figure out how to fix the budget button yet?????? :help:

Unright 08-08-2005 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Guest@Aug 7 2005, 02:50 PM
Anybody figure out how to fix the budget button yet?????? :help:
Yeah... Just run the game from Windows, not DOSBox. Just run SNDSETUP.EXE first so that you can get past the sound glitched main screen.

HarryMoe 09-08-2005 09:47 PM

Quote:

Is there a way to add/remove countries from your world team alliance?
If they change their Ideology they will leave unless it is changing from Dev. Capitalism to Capitalism for example. I think they may also leave your allience if they become a powerful enough nation but not sure.
To see any change you have to wait for the end of the year.

GunshySlycat1 11-08-2005 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by HarryMoe@Aug 5 2005, 05:32 PM
Editing the files with UGE I found that copying the files you wish to edit (morenums.* or numbers.*) to your UGE directory is the easiest.* In UGE press a to add a module.* You will want to pick either one of the sptrade ones (You are usally 1 in trade but can drop lower)* or the sppoldat one which you edit the ownership, ethics ideology and ambition.* Once done just copy the edited file such as numbers.2 or whatever it may be and paste it back in the Shadow President directory.* The readme for the UGE module explains it pretty good.* Hopefully that helps you out some.*

Quote:

Also I don't think this game ever ends but maybe it does. I have let the thing run for a long period of time.

Quote:

What if you start the game invading your non-nuclear neighbors like mexico (top choice since theyre weaker than canada) and then canada (i believe theyre non-nuclear)?
If you can get Mexico and Canada you will gain from that. Good way to balance the budget. You will also notice a population enlargement, income and whatever else it may change when you look at the statistic maps. If you took over a bunch of poorer nations you would notice the income level of the US would be down. Only problem with taking Canada or Mexico is it can really hurt your approval but you should be able to get away with it as long as you can stop them from removing you from office.

My strategy is keeping one or two methods to boost popularity going so that even when my popularity drops during war, I keep on boosting it from something else. I just think that parts really annoying... I took over England, Canada, Mexico, all of South America, Greenland, New Zealand, Ireland, and Cuba...guess what! My popularity STILL dropped! The funny part was right after i defeated cuba, the soviets launched a nuke at cuba and the international community were focusing in on them... Took the heat off of me! But yeah, I was eventually impeached once I realized that instead of boosting my popularity, bombing iraq ended up hurting my popularity.... Not knowing a good method to boost my pop support without testing out new ways is what eventually took me out of office... Too bad we couldn't have had a civil war instead of just taking me out... Atleast give me some damn options heh

I was going to leave the UK alone until it messed with my invasion of NZ! Then I invaded the UK and then I took england and all of its territories went independent, ha. My next plan was to stretch into europe, damn pop support. Wish I could turn it off! grr Anyway, does my troop size increase with new territories I take over, or do I only have just over 2 mill to use for the whole game?

There should really be a pdf manual to this game though. That would help so much! I was going to surround the Soviet Union in the end and then launch one final invasion! From there i'd look to china and probably nuke them with everything and invade.... Hopefully make a dent on their pop! If I defeated the world.............Then I don't know. Create stability I guess.

HarryMoe 12-08-2005 03:31 PM

Quote:

does my troop size increase with new territories I take over, or do I only have just over 2 mill to use for the whole game?
Yeah it can go both ways. I had it at just shy of 3 mil. I believe it depends on your budget.

Quote:

The funny part was right after i defeated cuba, the soviets launched a nuke at cuba
I have had that happen when I attacked Iraq before.

I think I have a manual on my original cd. I will have to try and find.

If you go to your Sec. of State (I believe it is) He will tell you how close you are to countries. Sometimes attacking those countries that are low will boost up pop. Then again I attacked Libya and my pop went down for sending troops and up for my attack. Sometimes I don't know what the game takes into account

GunshySlycat1 12-08-2005 06:11 PM

There's no manual online anywhere. That would be cool if you could get it on this site in .pdf or whatever. I looked everywhere for that SP manual...no luck at all. It really frustrated me because I knew all my questions could be answered in the manual.

Gith 13-08-2005 05:12 AM

Have a peek at underdogs for a manual for this.

Triton 15-08-2005 03:14 AM

It's hard to download anything from The Underdogs. I tried to download it before, and I got a corrupt file.

Guest 15-08-2005 02:47 PM

Heh, it was kinda funny what I did. I invaded Russia after like 5 minutes of playing (saving, beforehand, of course), and then they fired a nuke at me. With that, 2 of my advisors were killed, and my popularity plummeted from 40% to like 20%.

Heh, guess that wasn't really a smart move, LOL.

i luv shadow pres 15-08-2005 05:10 PM

i have three questions to people out there:

1. can i change what ideology i am.
2.how do i increase military spending
3.can i make a country start a military program.

Triton 15-08-2005 05:58 PM

1. Decrease ethics and increase ambition.

2. Budget Window

3. Raise their ambition, send military aid, encourage military spending

i luv shadow pres 15-08-2005 07:44 PM

how do i lower ethnic and raise ambition

Triton 17-08-2005 02:03 AM

Start problems with other countries. Launch surgical strikes and condemn other countries.

Guest 22-08-2005 09:27 PM

The first thing i did was to invade Mexico, soviet helped mexico from cuba.
When I had taken Mexico, I guess Soviet got pissed, so they nuked Mexico.
Then the interesting part started:
China nuked Soviet, France nuked Soviet, Soviet nuked China and France, China nuked Soviet again and France nuked Soviet again, I dont remember if Soviet sent another wave...
Anyway, than I got to be the good guy, going in and taking care of them...Invaded Soviet, Invaded France...I would have taken China also if my popularity had not killed me.

Some unlogical things: After I took Soviet, China still could kill the leader of Soviet.
And when i tried to defend Kuwait from Iraq while invading China,
Soviet which i had already captured sent troops to help Iraq against me :blink:

Guest 25-08-2005 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Guest+Jul 24 2005, 10:19 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Guest @ Jul 24 2005, 10:19 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-A. J. Raffles@Jul 24 2005, 09:55 AM
Ah, but did it really happen? Was there ever a Berlin wall at all? Was there ever such a thing as the Soviet Union? The moon landings were faked in a Burbank studio,you know... :P [/b][/quote]
the moon landing was real, Lenin led russia to the U.S.S.R. du! youer sooo much like dale in king of the hill

Hopkins 12-09-2005 09:00 PM

I think there are some serious bugs in this game. I had a massive troop buildup around iraq of 1.8 million troops with 800 thousand turkish troops helping me too. I attacked iraq and had over 500 thousand of my soldiers killed in the first attack while turkey only lost a few thousand and iraq only lost a few dozen. it doesn't make since that i attacked with 1.8 million troops and 800 thousand turks and only kill a few dozen iraqis.

Mickfrom OZ 01-10-2005 04:47 AM

This is a great site ...I used to have this game on CD ...runs ok on windows Me...but cant get the animations to run ?...and also to speed up the days so to speak ...have I set it up wrong ??? :wall:

Thanks

Guest 02-10-2005 07:16 AM

It would be perfect if the popularity crap didn't ruin my game!!!

Guest_Ryan 02-10-2005 03:11 PM

So I ignore the Iraq/Kuwait situation, letting the Iraqis win the war in under a week.

Then all's quiet until December, when Iraq goes to invade Saudi Arabia. I decide to help the Saudis, but change my mind when I notice 'Soviet Union is defending Saudi Arabia with 2000 troops!' (luckily, I hadn't committed any yet).

So, there's a war going on, yadda yadda yadda.

Until January 17, when out of the blue, the Soviets nuke Saudi Arabia, the country they're helping to defend. (Obviously it's a bug, but go with me here).

Within hours, France retaliates, nuking the Soviets. Those two countries exchange a few more nukes, the Soviets AGAIN nuke Saudi Arabia, and China nukes the SU.

Few days later, blam. Europe has been wiped out and India is now the second most powerful nation in the world.

That's the end of it, right? Wrong. Iraq tries to take advantage of the confusion by turning its eyes towards Jordan and Israel.

In the meantime, Norwegian terrorists (remember, thanks to all the nukes, everyone's ambition is at max) crash a plane in the Western Sahara. Damn those Norwegians!

Finally, Iraq invades Jordan, and I finally decide to do something, helping to defend. Lasts about a week before the US nukes Jordan, without me giving any such order...yeah. I give up after that.

Guest 04-10-2005 11:55 AM

How can someone make almost certain victory against enemy armies?i send more than a million troops in Iraq and launched dosens of surgical strikes but i am loosing twice the number of troops they do.Whats wrong especially since the leader eff. is less than 10% whilst mine more than 90%?

Sebatianos 04-10-2005 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Guest@Oct 4 2005, 01:55 PM
How can someone make almost certain victory against enemy armies?i send more than a million troops in Iraq and launched dosens of surgical strikes but i am loosing twice the number of troops they do.Whats wrong especially since the leader eff. is less than 10% whilst mine more than 90%?
Hmm... maybe the game is more realistic then one might have thought... :bleh:

Sorry - I had to make that comment :ot:

Guest 04-10-2005 08:57 PM

If it were realistic, the US would crush iraq very easily...

Danny252 04-10-2005 09:48 PM

Uh, look at Iraq now... The Americans, after (insert length of Iraq war here) they're still losing men. I wonder how long it'll be before the Iraqis will take over the American bases there and invade America...

Guest 05-10-2005 09:00 AM

Can someone please try to answer seriously about the wars and how to win if anybody knows of cource.

Guest 05-10-2005 04:41 PM

Yeah, is there an actual ending to this game? Or is it just election after election until you get bored, get locked out, or fail to get reelected?

Guest 08-10-2005 07:15 PM

Well I now own Canada, Mexico, the Middle East, Japan, Brazil, Western Europe, and the USSR

What's left to do? Will the game end if the US reaches a certain level of influence?

BTW interesting fact... by hitting an enemy from multiple countries, their morale plunges more rapidly, and your own troops are more effective. The downside is there is way more economic damage as well.

Still, it's a good way to deal with large, annoying countries like China and India that are not worth owning.

Pedafiliac9000 09-10-2005 11:50 AM

This runs fine in XP for me, I just click the executable and I'm off.

Does anyone know of any similar games that are available for download?

What games would you recommend for someone that likes this game?

:apple:

Borodin 09-10-2005 12:28 PM

For someone that likes Shadow President? Well, there's always SuperPower 2, but it's awkwardly designed and pretty buggy. It's also not for download. There's also an early DOS-based game called something like Conflict in the Middle East, which involves diplomacy; but I found it pretty boring. And there's always CyberJudas for download, which was a successor to Shadow President. Problem is, it's really just a frame (and not a very good frame, frankly) to place around SP.

PEDO 09-10-2005 01:55 PM

Thanks

This game would be great if you didn't have to be the U.S. :wall:

I was actually looking at reviews for SuperPower 2 when I found out about Shadow President.. when I searched that in google, I found this site and downloaded it :ok:

I think I'm going to go buy SP 2, but I don't know if I'll be able to run it because I downloaded the demo and when I try to play it I get a "failed to render init" message, which I think is because I'm using a generic video card driver (I'm on a laptop and I can't figure out what my video card is so I can get the right driver).

Guest_John 20-10-2005 05:25 PM

How do you start DOSBox?

A. J. Raffles 20-10-2005 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Guest_John@Oct 20 2005, 05:25 PM
How do you start DOSBox?
It should be listed somewhere in the 'programs' section.

GunshySlycat1 24-10-2005 01:49 PM

I want to re-release this game when I disable popularity....... It's the most annoying this EVER! I go so far and damn popularity ruins it everytime! I'm the president, cant I like use my troops to over ride them? And it's a god damn poll.. polls don't have any real power... without popularity it would be perfect.. i just wanna take over the world.. thats my challenge

take 1 country at a time when you have a high rating

surround them through different countries before!! !prepare!

have a few popular sources.. meaning like if bombing iraq is popular, then keep doing it to counter the dropping polls

1 country at a time.... never use nukes because you'll get nuked.. russia will use it later on and its fun to watch the international community take action on them ha

*REVIEW* Subject to change

First Thoughts = 5/5!!! Yeah, this game looked really nice!

Sound = 1/5 Sucked on that regard. When I enabled sound the game wouldn't work!!

Graphics = 3/5 Not bad/Not good I don't think you should play it for graphics personally... But for its time it's pretty good.. I debated with myself to give it a 2/5 or 3/5, but I decided 3/5 because other games on the same genre are horrible when it comes to graphics!

Game itself = 4/5 Really nice, but I hate the popularity factor even though it's fair game! And how the hell do I lose tons of troops invading iraq? That makes no sense... after the war MAYBE lose some troops, but not IN the war.. still a 4/5 instead of 3/5 because the game is really addicting and free flowing regardless of its set backs

Replayable = 4/5 It's staying on my hd! Great game and an a great addition to anyones collection...

Overall = 4/5 Great game...room for some minor improvements.. sorry DC

Guest 28-10-2005 11:53 PM

The only thing I regret about this game is that there is no positive ending.

After invading my immediate neighbors, Japan, the Middle East, Western Europe, China, USSR invading, say, the isle of man just doesn't cut it. Neither does winning election after election after election.

i luv shadow pres 01-11-2005 07:10 PM

how do i add people to my alliance

Guest 04-11-2005 02:18 PM

"And there's always CyberJudas for download, which was a successor to Shadow President"

Excuse me...where can You download it from? I didn't found it anywhere as I mentioned above:(

Thanks for help in advance!

Guest 06-11-2005 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by DakaSha@Jul 24 2005, 05:07 PM
im running Xp and it works fine... with sound and all... just configure your soundcard and run it

seems to be a VERY cool game. never heard of it to tell the truth :blink:

**EDIT**

at the copy protecion screen just press enter

How do you do that?

A. J. Raffles 06-11-2005 08:46 PM

Do what? Press Enter??:huh:

GunshySlycat1 07-11-2005 08:18 PM

What's the best way to disable popularity all together? I just don't feel like getting kicked out of office anymore LOL..otherwise a very good game

Guest 16-11-2005 02:02 AM

Good lord I need a guide... That or I'm not paying attention to the tutorial enough (half the stuff goes through one ear out the other)...

*sigh*

Jumbo 28-11-2005 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Guest@Nov 16 2005, 03:02 AM
Good lord I need a guide... That or I'm not paying attention to the tutorial enough (half the stuff goes through one ear out the other)...

*sigh*

Excuse me, but where did You get it from? I would need a copy. I would buy it if I could donwload it for my money. Or can anybody send it to me?

Michelle 08-12-2005 05:51 PM

i wouldn't mind a Cold War version with East and West Germany the Berlin Wall etc etc

FreakPower 12-12-2005 04:00 AM

found manual @ HOTU, but i haven't invested much time in figuring out how to access it. just get some error prompt. here, you try:
manual @ HOTU

if you figure it out, explain what you did to view it for us less computer-saavy people.

Master MC 22-01-2006 02:36 PM

I launched 5,000 nuclear missiles to the Netherlands, everyone dead. Invaded the country with full power. 15 million soldiers vs. 600.Netherlands succesfully defended itself. And now I got murdered! Strange.....

Doubler 22-01-2006 03:14 PM

Heh, if you read back, it happened to me too :P
Then again, we are a brave little country, aren't we LOL

Master MC 22-01-2006 04:33 PM

1990s... let's see... Dutch heroes... ah! Power Unlimited? They probably killed about 14 million American soldiers.

Ramidel 28-01-2006 10:19 PM

Invading -some- countries will be popular...like Libya, or Benin. Weak little countries who can get kicked in the backside in a few days.

Anyway, trying to play Shadow President as a World Conquest game doesn't usually work. It can be done, but not by force majeur... and yes, you have to make sure the world collapses into nuclear hell first. Save often.

Anyway, if you want to fight the Gulf War, it's probably best to let Kuwait fall to Iraq while you build up in Saudi Arabia, -then- kick righteous Iraqi behind.

Guest 06-02-2006 10:07 PM

What a mess you guys do. I've played this game quite often in my old computer and always won. It's very easy. Here's some tips.

- The goal is to get reelected, not to play Hitler against other nations. You must always remember this.

- Ignore the Iraq/Kuwait situation for now. Build up forces at least in S.Arabia and Turkey and start doing small strikes against Iraq. If necessary bring troops from other places. Also you can use cover ops against Iraq.

- Decrease a little military spending and increase a little the taxes. You'll have plenty of time later to decrease taxes and improve your ratings.

- Cut a bit foreign aid too.

- Increase the QoL of your citizens and try to do the same around the world. Trade partner treaties are good for this.

- When time is right free Kuwait. If you want invade Iraq too from both fronts. I've always done this and had very low casualties rate. There's a bug: even after Iraq is considered American colony (?) it says the Iraqi leader will try to assassinate me.

- After the invasion cut military budget a big chunk and cut taxes too. You'll get a surplus that can be spend raising the QoL. Bring most troops home. This will increase world peace.

- If China and Sov.Union start to have some skirmishes, ignore the problem. It's not your business anyway.

- Work towards world peace by proposing START treaties with other "nucular" powers. They'll be rejected many times, but sooner or later you'll get positive responses.

- See who the poorest countries are and give them some aid. It's easy to increase QoL and world peace by doing this and it doesn't take much money. And you ratings home will also increase.

- Like in Civilization once the goal is met (reelection) I think you can still play the game.

Tim 08-02-2006 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Matt Shizzle@Jul 25 2005, 01:01 AM

the quotes are avbailable at gamefaqs.com

search for the game in pc platform, and then under shadow president, click under "codes"..
they give a list with "levels", the level is the corresponding number quote, level 1 is george bush, level 2 is seneca, and so forth.

can't get it to work in dosbox either...seems to not want to install.... but dosbox did get it farther than just the queue file...
:Titan:

Tim 08-02-2006 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Pedafiliac9000@Oct 9 2005, 11:50 AM
This runs fine in XP for me, I just click the executable and I'm off.

Does anyone know of any similar games that are available for download?

What games would you recommend for someone that likes this game?

:apple:

How did you do that? I'm having all kinds of trouble.

Master MC 08-02-2006 07:21 PM

OK.
Shadow President = compatibality in Windows.
1. Set up your sound card with (probably) setup.exe/
2. Run shadow.exe.
3. Nuke Canada and send humanitarian help afterwards.

Pascal 15-03-2006 01:14 PM

Nice tip, Master.

I'm already in the year 1992 and Russia nuked Yemen. France didn't like that and nuked Russia. In 1992 Japan wanted to invade Russia with 700'000 soldiers. I did like the idea and stationed 900'000 soldiers in Japan and waited for the final moment, but the Japanese didn't want to make the first step, so I did. Russia had 18'000 soldiers against the rest of the world (2 million) :D.... now Russia is mine :bleh:

dread 15-03-2006 01:19 PM

I have a few questions.

1. How do you form alliances?

2. When I declare war on someone, why doesn't it say how many troops I have in there home country, it only tells me the troops that I have stationed close to that country. For example - I declared war on Russia but not once did I read that I had troops in Russia. Turkey allowed me to have troops in there country but that was only around 800, what do I suppose to do fight Russia's 2 million troops with 800 troops in Turkey? Shouldn't I have troops in Russia instead of Turkey?

3. Why do you deploy troops in countries when you're not in war? Is it to help keep peace? Do countries dislike the ideal of you deploying troops inside there country?

Thanks in advance.

Pascal 15-03-2006 03:31 PM

Hi dread,

1) So... this is one of those difficult questions, which i can't answer, but i have an idea ;)... those countries, which have common interests with you, form an alliance. but you can't tell a country like russia that it isn't allowed to stay in your alliance...

2) If you declare war on someone, your troops will join your enemy country and fight then... and it makes no sense, when you station your troops in the enemy country and then you declare this country war...
For example: the usa wouldn't station his troops in the iraq und would fight after 2 weeks against iraqi troops. the usa would deploy his troops in turkey like they did...

I suggest you: deploy your troops near the enemy country and increase your troop number in turkey up to 1 million or more.... but this will be difficult, when you have no friends, which help you....

3) So, i do this either for keeping peace in this region and to keep away one country from antoher or to make ready a war against the neighbouring country.

I hope i can help you with my answers...

Nionios 15-03-2006 03:45 PM

Hello guys...A couple of questions:
1) Is there a way to run the main game under DosBox 0.63 in full screen? The intro is in full screen but then it switches to a very small box and when I press Alt-Enter it still is the same size but in the center of a black screen. :help:

2) How can I resolve the issue of the budget? I can't run the game without DosBox (it freezes the PC and I have to reset it - WinXP user) and all other times when using DosBox and entering the budget screen it crashes the game. Is there maybe a specific cycle speed of DosBox that should work normally? It really sux not to be able to modify your own budget. :wall:

Thnx in advance for any answers :kosta:

Master MC 15-03-2006 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Master MC@Feb 8 2006, 10:21 PM
OK.
2. Run shadow.exe.

Hey, welcome.
As I said earlier, the game can be run perfectly fine under Windows.
Follow my instructions and look if problems persist.
Good luck!

The Fifth Horseman 15-03-2006 03:54 PM

Quote:

1) Is there a way to run the main game under DosBox 0.63 in full screen? The intro is in full screen but then it switches to a very small box and when I press Alt-Enter it still is the same size but in the center of a black screen.
"fullfixed=true" in dosbox.conf

Nionios 15-03-2006 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Master MC+Mar 15 2006, 04:50 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Master MC @ Mar 15 2006, 04:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Master MC@Feb 8 2006, 10:21 PM
OK.
2. Run shadow.exe.

Hey, welcome.
As I said earlier, the game can be run perfectly fine under Windows.
Follow my instructions and look if problems persist.
Good luck! [/b][/quote]
Hello Master MC.Concerning your suggestions:

1) I have setup the soundcardcard with sndsetup.exe (there is no setup.exe) and chosen NO SOUND.
2) I tried to run shadow.exe and the PC still freezes and I have to reboot. :cry:
3) Haven't tried this one yet... :bleh:

Any other suggestion(s)? What compatibility mode should I choose? Win 98,Win95 or Win NT?

Also,anything on the fullscreen issue maybe or the crashing due to the budget screen?

Thnx.

Nionios 15-03-2006 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by the_fifth_horseman@Mar 15 2006, 04:54 PM
"fullfixed=true" in dosbox.conf
Thanx... :kosta:
It is now somewhat bigger but not big enough for a 17" widescreen laptop monitor.
I tried editing the resolution to 1400x900 but it does not work...Any ideas how to make it stretch to the whole screen?

Master MC 15-03-2006 04:07 PM

Really odd situation - and you're not using DosBox right now?
As far as I'm concerned, I don't think the compatibality modes differ a lot, just pick one, if you even have to pick one. I could run the game perfectly in XP.
What if you try to select a soundcard?
How far does the screen go, until the intro (and then it freezes)? Because this is the place the game locks up when you have not installed the driver properly enough. So if the game goes further I guess you can neglect the information above.
I will look into the budget problem later, if you don't mind.

Nionios 15-03-2006 04:16 PM

@MasterMC
No I am not using DosBox...
When I try to select a soundcard it has the exact same result. It freezes the PC (please note that in both cases -sound or no sound- the PC freezes before the intro). Just a black screen and then I have to reset. It is not possible to enter even into Task Manager.
But if we found a solution to magnify the screen even more and solve the issue with the budget, I would have no problem playing under DosBox...

Thnx for your quick replies btw... :)

Master MC 15-03-2006 04:31 PM

TFT you said? My brother has a TFT - and he is not able to play dosgames (using dosbox, or without) at a normal resolution. Darn, that I didn't think of that before.
Since he is not that into dosgames, we haven't found a solution. I use a plain, good 'ol monitor and everything works.
Try to play other dosgames, like BioMenace. If the resolution is low, well... then you're screw-drivered. Or someone must have an ingenious solution.

edit 1
Hm.. wait, sorry, you never mentioned a TFT, I must have confused you with someone else. Sorry again.

edit 2
No, I'm not crazy! You said laptop monitor. What a relief.

Nionios 15-03-2006 04:37 PM

I justed fixed the resolution. I put "fullfixed=true" in dosbox.conf and also I put "output=opengl". Now I can see perfectly fine in almost full-screen. :ok: :Brain:
Now, if only I could find a way to adjust this #@$%@#budget without crashing the game... :wall:

Guest 15-03-2006 05:07 PM

use the .exe under windows and you have no problems...

another question: how are the world standings in your games?

The Fifth Horseman 15-03-2006 05:11 PM

Quote:

"output=opengl"
:eeeeeh:
Should not make any difference.

dread 15-03-2006 05:12 PM

Thanks Pascal :ok:

Just one more question:

Why is it I have over a million soldiers in a territory and the other has 800,000, yet I still managed to lose the war?

Is this a bug in the game or do I need tons more than the enemy to defeat them?

Thanks

Nionios 15-03-2006 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Guest@Mar 15 2006, 06:07 PM
use the .exe under windows and you have no problems...

Helloooo?? Have you read any of my previous posts?! :hammer:
Please read them before replying with something so simple... <_<

Nionios 15-03-2006 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by the_fifth_horseman@Mar 15 2006, 06:11 PM
Quote:

"output=opengl"
:eeeeeh:
Should not make any difference.

Oh, but it did make a difference...
Initially I had only a 40% screen coverage...with "fullfixed=true" I got a 65-70% size.
With "output=opengl" I got almost a full screen of the main game. I didn't changhe anything else. :)

The Fifth Horseman 15-03-2006 05:31 PM

Well, actually there are resolution control parameters that affect Fullfixed as well.

Pascal 16-03-2006 11:13 AM

@dread:

i have the same problems like you... i can't imagine why i lose a fight with my 1 million soldiers against 0 soldiers :eeeeeh: :wall: ....

Guest 16-03-2006 03:54 PM

so.... the newest standings: i fought with 3 million soldiers against 570'000 soldiers (iraq), but i lost... how can i increase the "will to fight"? i have no idea...

Doc Adrian 16-03-2006 09:22 PM

I normally have more luck doing the surgical strikes to kind of build my own strength, beyond that I am still trying to figure out how to make the wars a little bit more assured

dread 17-03-2006 02:46 AM

Yeah, the wars would be nice to win once in awhile. I wish I could figure out. I downloaded the manual but I couldn't never get it to work, we need it in text format.

The surgical strikes do work well, unless it's the Soviet Union. I tried that and they nuked me and whiped everything out :help:.

Pascal 17-03-2006 11:21 AM

what the hell... :wall: :wall: :wall: ....

those *dirty word* damn iraqis... i got 1.8 millions soldiers and killed only 50 k iraqi soldiers and then my soldiers gave up, 'cause of the will to fight (55%).... i had such good chances to win this fight.... and i only want their oil :max: ...

why is bush so succesful? i want also their oil .... please help me.... how can i increase the value of my "will to fight"?

Guest_hello 01-04-2006 05:18 AM

I used 250,000 soldiers stationed in Saudi Arabia, when Iraq attacks Kuwait it asks you if you want to enter the conflict room... do so, and allow the 250,000 soldiers in Saudi Arabia to participate in the fighting against Iraq... war ends quite swiftly, I had 150,000 Iraqi soldiers killed, 3,500 American and 800 Kuwait.

Things to do... cut all aid to Iraq and send some to Kuwait.

Lots of surgical strikes[on Iraq.]

Guest 08-05-2006 06:51 AM

To stop Iraq from invading Kuwait
On day #1
1)Cut off all trade to Iraq and take back their foreign aid.
2)Enter the iraq war room and send 70,000 troops to Kuwait, Turkey, Jordan, Neutral Zoneand Saudi Arabia.
3)Count how much aid Iraq gets from other countries and send Kuwait, Turkey, Jordan, and Saudi Arabia almost all your aid money. You want them all more powerful than Iraq.
4) Increase intelligance spending to the max.
5) Program in 3 air strikes on Iraq
6) Click on the 4th button then one of the options. (this stops the clock) With the clock stopped give every nation in the world except Iraq Most Favored nation status. Also order plenty of attacks of differant types on Iraq.
7) Click on the budget button lower Military spending to 101 Million. Do not worry about the rest after all the nations become most favored you will have plenty of money. You will have to go to your budget later and put it into Investment and a little to foreign aid. You need to have your economy growing faster than Iraqs.
8)Differant nations will ask you to do differant things. Keep track of what they are asking and do the same actions back to them. Check your odds from your advisors first. Watch your effectiveness rating and Iraqs economy and ambition. When you kill the leader of Iraq and their ambition falls to below 4 stop the war and make peace. Keep hitting them with offers until their ethics rise. If your advisors resign it is time to stop the war. Giving Iraq Most favored nation status and sending them peace offers will stop the war.
9)After you get past Dec 2 take back most of your aid from Kuwait, Turkey, Jordan, and Saudi Arabia and start sending out your aid to differant nations. Give aid to commie china and they will be your friend until Jan 01.

iwannaplaythisgame 19-05-2006 07:42 PM

:help: hello, i really like the sound of this game but even when I run the sound setup and set it to no sound, the game CTDs after the shadow president logo fades out, any help?

The Fifth Horseman 24-05-2006 01:21 PM

Are you trying to run this game in XP?

Guest 28-05-2006 12:54 PM

Can anybody help me with the budget screen?
:sos: :sos: :sos: :sos: :sos: :sos: :sos: :sos: :sos:
I tried turning sound off.(using dosbox) Run the game in windows and it locked up(compatibility issue.
Tried to run it in dosbox ran into budget issue again.

Its drivng me crazy!!!!!!!

Data 28-05-2006 01:29 PM

Did you use DOSBox 0.65 ?

U-Boat Commander David 28-05-2006 05:35 PM

I have a question. How do you Nuke Someone in this game? I read someware that it is possible.

Or at least Make War?

I know it sounds sick, but:

1. I wanna Kick some in Behind!
2. I wanna see how it feels to nuke someone, i never had a game were this was possible.

Please help me.

Guest 28-05-2006 05:49 PM

Hmm I guess I didn't :whistling:

hmm... that got it to work....
.................................................. ....................sorry....I feel kinda emberassed now...... :unsure:

:ok: Thanks for the help.

--Hail Dosbox 0.65--

Guest 04-07-2006 08:04 PM

I'm having trouble running this game on a new computer...try to be as helpful as I can...

-If I run the game flat-out from Windows, the window closes itself right away
-If I run the game from DOSbox 0.65, the game freezes at the "Accessing Shadow Network" Screen
-both of these are with sound driver set to no sound

Any help?

The Fifth Horseman 05-07-2006 08:03 AM

Try VDMSound. Also, read the previous posts in this thread and run a Search in Troubleshooting forum - chances are someone already had that problem and found a solution.

Guest 10-07-2006 10:38 PM

I have a question about Quality of Life levels.

After the year 2000, the quality of life levels start to fall off all over the world. At first, I thought it could be fixed by expanding trade and strengthening economic times, but this seems to only exacerbate the problem. Then I thought it might be caused by too much (e.g., over 5%) yearly GDP growth -- a kind of inflation simulation. So i kept my growth at 5% which seemed to stave off the problem for a bit, but not prevent it -- around 2008 or so, QoL tanks to below 80%. Also, a curious thing: Canada seems to be best at hanging on to its 100% QoL rating, sometimes as much as 10 or 12 years into the century before finally plunging too. Haven't been able to figure out why that is. Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas what causes it and how it might be prevented? Also, has anyone been able to access the manual? If so, maybe someone could upload it here as a text file?

Dutch warrior 04-08-2006 02:21 PM

:brain: I did it!!!! I conquered the world!!! No cheats, no nuclear war.

I have perfect ethics
I have 73% qol
I have full freedom
Have a rediculous amount of people.
And it ownly took me one election ^_^

Rico 15-08-2006 10:28 AM

:sos:

Hi, I just downloaded the game, but it always stays at the title screen (Where you see 'Shadow President', but I can't go any further...Anyone has an idea of how that can be. Does it have anything to do with the quotes before you start the game?
Thanks for your help...

Guest 15-08-2006 10:32 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Data @ May 28 2006, 01:29 PM) [snapback]232767[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Did you use DOSBox 0.65 ?
[/b]

How do I use that? Cause I have the same problems. I run it in XP and After the title screen it fades out and I cant do anything. :sos:

Guest 16-08-2006 03:48 AM

I've conquered most of the world, but can't select really small island nations like french polynesia and the faroe islands. Does anyone know how to select countries that are too small for a mouse click?

Dutch warrior 19-08-2006 09:38 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rico @ Aug 15 2006, 10:28 AM) [snapback]248662[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

:sos:

Hi, I just downloaded the game, but it always stays at the title screen (Where you see 'Shadow President', but I can't go any further...Anyone has an idea of how that can be. Does it have anything to do with the quotes before you start the game?
Thanks for your help...
[/b]
Do you use the latest version of Dosbox? Have you run the setup file?

Guest 19-08-2006 09:50 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Aug 16 2006, 03:48 AM) [snapback]248819[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

I've conquered most of the world, but can't select really small island nations like french polynesia and the faroe islands. Does anyone know how to select countries that are too small for a mouse click?
[/b]
What you want to do is click on a country nearby and then use region or country view on those. This shows you some of their neighbouring countries. I think New Zealand worked best for polynesia and Fiji for American Samoa. Then use these islands to get a view further out in the ocean. Vietnam or the Phillipines(not sure) works best for Hong Kong as I believe China was to large. Basically just keep trying and you should get it eventualy.

Also dont forget, in the Arab Gulf you have Bahrein and Qatar its easy to miss the last one

Also don't forget that there are some islands north of Norway and West-Russia that are considered independent states.

NOTE: Sometimes you will see some islands that should belong to a country, but the game says it can't find the region file or something. You should basically ignore these as it is caused by a scaling vault in the game. They are part of a country on the worldmap.

Happy hunting

Guest 19-08-2006 07:54 PM

Here's a fun thing to do in Shadow President:

1.Take over Iraq and keep it as a colony-->all the oil really adds to the economy
2. Lower taxes at the end of the year to really boost your popularity
3. Be really nice to other countries. Peace talks, aid, etc.
4. When popularity is about 90% or higher, take over another country, and lower taxes again.

Repeat. You can really take over the world.

Guest 19-08-2006 07:57 PM

How do you win the war in Iraq?

1. Blockade Iraq.
2. Bring in all your troops and wait several months until they all arrive in the region. Accept whoever will take them.
3. Declare War.
4. Launch surgical strike after strike to soften them up. This ADDS to popularity (but only temporarily so do it early and often). Ten or more times in a row is not unreasonable.
5. Try to asssassinate the leader and sabotage economical assetts.
6. When their will to fight gets low enough, they will surrender.

Guest 19-08-2006 07:58 PM

How do you stop the invasion of Kwait in the quickest way possible?

1. Wait for Iraq to invade.
2. Go to the crisis screen and threaten a nuclear strike.

SeeDub 21-08-2006 01:40 PM

The reason you are losing to a country that you have just nuked is the radiation. The Allies did'nt march to Hiroshima on the next day after bombing them to pieces.

Guest 24-08-2006 08:33 AM

The extraction prossess takes forever, can anyone help?

Icewolf 24-08-2006 08:38 AM

What extraction program do you use?

Guest 24-08-2006 12:24 PM

Windows Extraction, but I installed WinZip and everything's going smoothly, thanks.

Icewolf 24-08-2006 01:05 PM

I recommend WinRAR, 7Zip, TugZip. WinZip isn't too great.

Guest 25-08-2006 04:47 PM

WinZip works/ed for me, but I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for trying.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Aug 24 2006, 12:24 PM) [snapback]250704[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Windows Extraction, but I installed WinZip and everything's going smoothly, thanks.
[/b]

Guest_Jordan_* 06-09-2006 12:43 AM

Man, this is a great game. The first time I was doing the usual foreign relations stuff, until one of my passenger jets suffered a Syrian terrorist attack. So I condemn Syria and launch a surgical strike.

Then Iraq invades Kuwait. I tried to defend, but I misinterpreted the troop numbers and only sent a few thousand soldiers. I tried maintaining my defense of Kuwait while attacking Iraq, but the effort quickly collapsed, and Iraq triumphed.

I invaded Iraq several more times and failed after making the same mistakes.

Frustrated, I launched a nuke at Iraq, killing a few thousand people. My Press Secretary resigned in protest.

Within days, China responded to my attack with a massive nuclear strike, killing millions, wrecking the nation, and killing most of my Cabinet. England immediately counterattacked, and I struck back as well after collecting my wits.

The world sat in shambles for awhile, as the war with China petered out and I tried to retake Iraq.

The game ended after a French agent assasinated me.

Guest_Earth200_* 06-09-2006 09:55 AM

Cant the french and the us ever get along?

bruno 06-09-2006 09:57 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest_Earth200_* @ Sep 6 2006, 10:55 AM) [snapback]253072[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Cant the french and the us ever get along?
[/b]
Yes, they can, you need to improve the trades, and make friendly talks with France, after when you enter a war they help you. :ok:

HarryMoe 14-09-2006 07:43 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Aug 16 2006, 03:48 AM) [snapback]248819[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

[/b]
Actually if I recall correctly it has a sort of search button you can press. It seems like it is the ?/ key but I don't really know. I do think they tell you in the tutorial when you start a new game. I will have to look because some island countries are sure hard to get to with even the zooming in.

Decebalus 23-11-2006 07:27 PM

Haha. I just launched 5000 nukes at Rusia. Shouldn't that like blow it of the face of the world or cause nuclear winter, at least? Anyway it's really fun to go beserk and start attacking small nations and generaly being an annoying *meep*.

grayfrank 01-12-2006 04:18 PM

I managed to avert the Gulf War and a potential Russo-Japanese war by sending out peace envoy after peace envoy. After all of this I felt the age-old longing for war. At this time Sudan and Uganda were having a little spat. I decided to get involved on the side of Uganda, mainly because I thought that by caputuring Sudan and installing a capitalist democracy I would have a fairly powerful ally in Africa and my thirst for blood would be quenched. The war didn't go too well and my public opinion plummeted until I was at risk of impeachment or assassination; so, I surrendered only to see the option to install a new government pop up. I looked at the filter view and saw that I did indeed control Sudan. I did the same with another country and the same thing happened. A very helpful and very unsportsmanlike bug it seems!?!
Has this happened to anybody else?

P.S. This is my first Abandonia post. Hello everybody!!

Guest 17-12-2006 06:31 PM

So, what is the furthest anybody has gotten in this game? I made it to around 2002 on my last go...then I got bored and diverted all of my budget to Military, attacked Russia, I lost so I nuked them...game over

Guest 20-12-2006 06:29 PM

Is there a way to edit the files so my troops are not scattered across the world at the beginning of the game?

Thanos6 11-01-2007 08:37 AM

Pretty interesting concept, and I love the detail; but it moves SO SLOW. A lot of the game is just spent sitting there waiting for the next thing to happen.

(There's an Amiga game called Armageddon Man/Global Commander, depending on where you live, that's like this. It has the opposite problem, the world crises can accelerate too fast)

Krustacean 11-01-2007 12:05 PM

If it moves too slow for you, make sure to turn off the action sequences in options and up the speed. The game is kind of built so that you shift time to fit your needs (at least thats how I find it easiest to play). Also the more countries you try to engage in any way good or bad means you will have more action overall. If you do nothing it seems like the whole world will follow suit which is kind of weird.

Guest 15-01-2007 02:16 PM

Sorry if it was asked before, but...

Any way to get Cyber Judas?
Seems to me it is not sold anymore even at the few online stores where was avalaible a couple of years ago.

Thank in advance for any response.

The Fifth Horseman 15-01-2007 03:20 PM

It's sold, allright. At CDAccess.

The Shadow 16-02-2007 04:46 PM

Great game! Past first elections, and invaded Asia, France, Eastern Europe, nearly the whole of Africa, nearly the whole of Oceania and nearly the whole of the Middle East. (And some of South America, and Cuba).

Sometimes when I surrender I take control of the country anyway. Is this a bug?

kallstrom86 16-02-2007 09:24 PM

I've played this game to death. Its definetly the best abandonware game i've found. One major flaw is when you take control of a country then set up a new government it sometimes isnt aligned to you. Thats annoying. i'd really like to play Cyber Judas now . It should be available for free shouldnt it?

Guest 17-02-2007 05:43 AM

I would really like to play CyberJudas but it still costs money. (Who owns the rights?)

gamesgalore 17-02-2007 01:25 PM

I've been playing for a while but as of yestarday the game kept closing.

The Fifth Horseman 19-02-2007 01:57 PM

Quote:

I would really like to play CyberJudas but it still costs money. (Who owns the rights?)[/b]
It's not ESA protected, so the only factor that prevents us from putting it up for download is the little itty bitty thing that it's still for sale.
And in case you wanted to ask: no, there is no circumventing that one.

Guest 22-03-2007 07:07 PM

Can anyone help? The game does start but it stops at the Shadow President logo, I can't play.

The Fifth Horseman 23-03-2007 06:51 AM

Your problem description is insufficient for us to provide a proper answer.

Please answer the following questions:
1. What operating system do you have?
2. Did you try using VDMSound or DosBox to run the game?
3. What exact steps did you follow when trying to run the game?

Guest 23-03-2007 07:56 AM

Ok I'm a bit further I found out that my problem can be solved with DOSbox which is great. However now my problem is, after reading the manual I'm more confused about how it works as before. I have NO idea how to opperate DOSbox to get Shadow President Running.

BTW I have XP.

The Fifth Horseman 23-03-2007 03:15 PM

You might want to check out the official DosBox FAQ, and particularly this part of it. It is quite helpful for users unfamiliar with DosBox.

Also, I've been working on a more up-to-date guide, current version posted here. If you feel inclined to check that one out, please tell me what you think of it and what could be improved. Thank you.

The Presidant 27-03-2007 02:15 AM

Is it possible to edit files in Shadow President so that one can play as a different nation? It would be so awesome if it were possible to play as a different nation!

The Fifth Horseman 27-03-2007 06:55 AM

Doubtful. If the game designers did not allow the player to play with a nation different than US, it's likely they didn't even consider that possibility when programming the game engine.

The Presidant 27-03-2007 09:00 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Mar 27 2007, 06:55 AM) [snapback]285152[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Doubtful. If the game designers did not allow the player to play with a nation different than US, it's likely they didn't even consider that possibility when programming the game engine.
[/b]
Too bad... I really can't seem to find any good world simulation games like it these days... If the company would still exist I would suggest them to make a new one where one can play as any nation. If there was only a way to edit it...

Havell 27-03-2007 09:05 PM

Try Hearts of Iron 2 if you're interested in a newer "world simulation" game where you can play as any nation, it's a great game.

TheChosen 28-03-2007 06:02 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Mar 22 2007, 08:07 PM) [snapback]284584[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Can anyone help? The game does start but it stops at the Shadow President logo, I can't play.
[/b]
The game also crashes when I try to play it. The system I used is Windows 98.

However, the game did worked before on that computer.

The Presidant 28-03-2007 09:58 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Havell @ Mar 27 2007, 09:05 PM) [snapback]285266[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Try Hearts of Iron 2 if you're interested in a newer "world simulation" game where you can play as any nation, it's a great game.
[/b]
I have HOI 2 Doomsday, a very great game! However I am looking for an extream realistic world simulation (of the modern world) that allows basically any reforms and actions, ie Social reforms, military action, espionage, economic growth, UN leading (ie one can play with the nation's UN delegate and can help bring about peace (or war).

The Presidant 30-03-2007 08:29 PM

Is there no way to edit a couple files for the game? maybe changing names of things, or editing ideologies. (I mean they all have letters next to them so it would make sense that these letters are editable in some file (s).

KPJ 31-03-2007 01:59 AM

:ok:
This game is so incredible! The only drawback is that the interface is a little bit difficult to deal with.
I haven't figured it all out, but here are some tips if you find yourself scratching your head like I was for the first few hours.
First off, I don't think that you can really invade the Soviet Union. The simulation is based on the political delicacy of the Cold War, there are plenty of great games where you can have a lot more fun as a warmonger. Take the game a little bit seriously, it's a balancing act- if you act like Hitler you will end up like Hitler. For this game we have to take a page out of the books of Reagan and the Bushes. What I mean by this is that there is plenty of conquering to be done, but you have to be sneaky, you have to grease the right palms, and you have to trick weaker nations into helping you.
Now, playing this game in 2007 is a little disorienting. It's hard to remember the climate of 1990, at least for me (born 84). As a history buff I really enjoy this aspect of the game, but it did throw me for a bit of a turn. Obviously we have the 2 "800 pound gorillas" in the room- USA and USSR. There are also a number of nations who are important for their own unique reasons.
For example, Turkey is an early ally of the USA, and a very valuable one. By keeping a good relationship with Turkey you can influence their actions in two important ways. Firstly, if you are worried about warmongerers like Iraq getting high 'Ambition' rating, you can use your influence in Turkey to reduce military tension in the area. Secondly, if and when diplomatic means fail, placing soldiers in Turkey can threaten both the Iraqis and the Soviets.
Other important things about 1990 are these: Iran is still incredibly weak, though they are nonetheless the same Islamo-Fascists that are now represented by Ahmoud Ahmadinejad. Either work with them to improve their quality of life and ethics- removing fuel from the Jihadi fire- or blockade them and remove the Islamic government from power.
China is not the industrial superpower that it is today, 17 years later. Their economic boom was only just beginning in the 90s. These are communists, and not the watered down type that run China today. Don't let that scare you though, they love American money and have philosophical differences from the USSR. With or without removing their government, you can probably make an ally out of China if you spend a bit of time working with them. By giving them aid, having cultural exchanges, and increasing economic cooperation, you can make an American-friendly China with a great quality of life, and less human rights abuses.
Canada, Mexico, and most of Western Europe are good allies, with strong economies and sizeable diplomatic and military strength. Building relationships with these nations is good for economy, ethic, and to have allies in case of wars.
Flexing Your Might Against Mighty Russia:
This is an example game, my first serious game after messing around learning the controls.
Early on, I put sanctions on Iraq, placed troops in Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and the Saudi-Iraqi Neutral Zone. I put about 300-400,000 troops in each of those three places, meaning my forces surrounding Iraq numbered about 1.3 million strong. Remember, Iraq's army is 2 million strong, and numerical advantages are no laughing matter. This force was strong enough to dissuade Iraq from doing anything stupid, though it may have been a bad decision in the long run, because it created escalation efforts from Iraq. But escalation was not a Kuwaiti invasion, so the Middle East was temporarily dealt with.
This was all around the first few days. Throughout the following week troops were arriving in the Middle East, and I also decided to place troops in Jamaica, Puerto Rico, and a new ally, Haiti (so destitute they'll do anything for a few pennies). Other soldiers were gathered around the coast of Florida (place troops in Cuba- and it gives these as options).
Then began the condemnation of Cuba. We condemned them many times, didn't want that Castro to have any power. With economic sanctions in place, we angered their population enough that Castro's Leadership rating suffered greatly.
With a few Surgical Strikes, the Cuban nation was completely in chaos. Our invasion forces, with help from the British stationed in Jamaica, were able to conquer Cuba before the end of July. Approval ratings during the war were very low, but after we established a Developing Capitalism and restored Old Havana, those ratings went through the roof.
By this time, we could remove soldiers from the Carribbean for the most part (leaving some behind to maintain order in Cuba). Inspecting Iraq, we discovered that they were working on constructing Nuclear Power. This simply would not do. We asked them to stop, we really did, but they just wouldn't listen. As their Ambition rating climbed through the roof we decided to destroy their nuclear capabilities with a Precision Strike. When we did finally attack Iraq, it was still with the smaller force fo 1.3 million, but the Turks added their 800,000 to the force, making the numbers about even. Using a few more Precision Strikes the Iraq war was finished by Decembre, with a new American-friendly government in place.

Hope any of this helps somebody, I can't explain how much I love this game! Thank you so much Abandonia,
Kyle, a long time reader, and first time poster

The Fifth Horseman 02-04-2007 01:59 PM

Quote:

Is there no way to edit a couple files for the game? maybe changing names of things, or editing ideologies. (I mean they all have letters next to them so it would make sense that these letters are editable in some file (s).[/b]
Maybe there is, maybe there is not.
What's sure is that there doesn't seem to be a write-up on the subject anywhere, so you'll have to figure that out by yourself.

bosiydid 10-04-2007 04:41 PM

I'd also like to play CyberJudas. There was a post that said Chips and Bits sells it but I was unable to locate it on their website or any other for that matter. I think even Chips and Bits is done selling this game. I can't find any outlet that does carry it. Any ideas where I can get it? Man, I loved this game when I was a kid used to spend hours and hours playing it.

The Fifth Horseman 10-04-2007 05:07 PM

You can still buy it on CD Access: http://www.cdaccess.com/html/quick/cyberjudpr.htm

Guest 01-05-2007 06:35 PM

Just so you know, it is possible to conqour USSR (before the elections, I think the first year). I put max forces in the countries sorrounding, though to get some I had to invade them (which meant I had to invade parts of Scandinavia). I waited till the numbers were about 2 to 1 and launched the assault. I launched surgical strikes up till the point where they'd nuke me. The fight would be 3 v 3 so you have to have big advantages because your allies are useless compared to USSR's.

I've stopped playing for a while, but generally I'm taking over the world.

Guest 01-05-2007 06:39 PM

EDIT above post: Bug? I'm on USSR world team and USSR is on my world team.

Some_Guy 01-05-2007 07:01 PM

After invading France, they released all their countries. I tried to invade them but my game just closed around the time I declared war on them.

Some_Guy 02-05-2007 05:15 PM

I checked it out and France hasn't released their countries, which is weird because I control France, so maybe it's a bug.

Malmo Blue 28-05-2007 01:19 PM

So I was playing the game yesterday, and I noticed that Canada condemned me for no reason.
So I condemned them back.

Now, my Secretary of State calls it a day, and resigns. What a bitch! <_<
Eventually, I did a "Canadian Bacon" and invaded Canada. :titan:

Guest 14-07-2007 01:24 PM

I downloaded this game on this website but i looked at the read me file and it was a patch. Is there a way to run it or do i need to get the game from somewhere else?

The Fifth Horseman 16-07-2007 08:50 AM

The readme refers to a patch that has been installed onto the version available for download here.
What you downloaded is the full game.

To run it, just run Shadow.exe.

Guest 29-07-2007 02:53 AM

Just so you guys know I have CyberJudas. It's a Windows game, but it will not run in XP. Keep that in mind before you buy it.

Cyberjudas wisher... 25-08-2007 01:54 AM

I wish so much that some day the stores stop selling Cyberjudas... I mean I really want to play it, but I will not pay to play such an old game... I am short on cash anyway... too bad the stores still sell the game, despite the fact that it is abandonware... Oh will Cyberjudas ever become available for free? I can only pray so...

Also does Cyberjudas at least run on Windows 2000?

Guest 09-09-2007 08:29 PM

I'm hoping someone can help me here.

I've gotten the game to run perfectly, hewever, no matter what actions I take or don't take, I'm always assassinated at the end of the first month. Also, at the summary screen, it states "Simulation Terminated".

Sami Ahmed 22-09-2007 03:55 AM

What is deal with popularity and budgets? I keep going from 48% to 0%.

Evil Freak 14-10-2007 05:05 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sami Ahmed @ Sep 22 2007, 04:55 AM) [snapback]312390[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

What is deal with popularity and budgets? I keep going from 48% to 0%.
[/b]
You suck? LOL!

I don't know... I usually get a very good budget and have a popularity rating of over 60%...

Guest 25-10-2007 11:34 AM

Mmm. Some simple economic rules may be in order...

Income tax. Cut it every year if possible. This will be popular, and the loss of money will be made up by higher economic growth. (In a few years, anyway)

Corperate Tax. Leave alone if you need popularity. Cutting it will be unpopular, but raising it will hurt the economy.

Sales Tax. Remove immediatly. The amount it raises=unpoplarity caused ratio is higher than income tax. Again, this will help your economy.

At least keep your social spending level. Increases in military spending helps very slightly. More aid is massivly unpopular.

Unless there is unforseen events ie. nuke wars, etc, you can cut income tax by 0.5- 1.0c every year and due to a booming economy (growth can shoot upto 9%) you will be able to in a few years afford guns AND butter. Obviously, this will make you popular.

This is a tried and tested method.. for me , the year is 2016 , the GNP per capita is 33,259, my military budget has doubled, my aid budget has quadrupled, I am running a surplus of 100-200 billion p/y, and my income tax stands at a tiny 3c per $. My massive aid has managed to co-opt nearly all of the poorest countries to me, and even France in my alliance! And only 3 nuke scares!

And my popularity? 86%

And thats after five Vietnam's (Iraq '90-'91, Lybia '94, N. Korea '97, Iran-Syria-Pakistan '99-'01 and Brazil '11-'12)

Of course, all this tax-cutting will not save your behind if you are as popular as GW. Bush , but it may if you are hovering around 50-52 to get you in the clear. :)

Guest 26-10-2007 04:07 AM

To get the game to work in XP, just run the Sndsetup exe and set to no sound... works for me.

Guest 01-11-2007 02:18 AM

I think this may have been mentioned... where do I change the speed of the game?

_r.u.s.s. 01-11-2007 07:33 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Krustacean @ Jan 11 2007, 02:05 PM) [snapback]274340[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

If it moves too slow for you, make sure to turn off the action sequences in options and up the speed. The game is kind of built so that you shift time to fit your needs (at least thats how I find it easiest to play). Also the more countries you try to engage in any way good or bad means you will have more action overall. If you do nothing it seems like the whole world will follow suit which is kind of weird.
[/b]
?

Guest 01-11-2007 04:41 PM

hmm, oddly enough, I cant seem to find a speed option in the options menu. I see, elections, sound, clock, disasters, animations, and auto-pilot toggle on/off for all. I cant seem to find anything related to speed. :/

The Fifth Horseman 02-11-2007 02:11 PM

Try the "clock", perhaps?

Donners 02-11-2007 09:59 PM

Has anyone else had a situation where the game wrongly accuses you of launching a nuclear attack?

Just after Iraq defeated Kuwait (I withdrew my troops due to plunging popularity), my Press Secretary walked out and I was getting condemnation left, right and centre for nuking Kuwait. Then China nuked the US!

It's not possible to accidently do this - it takes three clicks to launch a nuclear attack, and I know I didn't do that. Some sort of bug?

Guest 14-11-2007 03:40 PM

It's a definite bug, I've found it a few times.

caesar007 29-11-2007 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guest (Post 235450)
I have a question about Quality of Life levels.

After the year 2000, the quality of life levels start to fall off all over the world. At first, I thought it could be fixed by expanding trade and strengthening economic times, but this seems to only exacerbate the problem. Then I thought it might be caused by too much (e.g., over 5%) yearly GDP growth -- a kind of inflation simulation. So i kept my growth at 5% which seemed to stave off the problem for a bit, but not prevent it -- around 2008 or so, QoL tanks to below 80%. Also, a curious thing: Canada seems to be best at hanging on to its 100% QoL rating, sometimes as much as 10 or 12 years into the century before finally plunging too. Haven't been able to figure out why that is. Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas what causes it and how it might be prevented? Also, has anyone been able to access the manual? If so, maybe someone could upload it here as a text file?

hi

I have the same problem as you. But the QOLF goes down in the year 1996 already for me. I don't know how that happened ..... . Everything was going very well. I had a high economical growth , budget was fine, not in any wars, leadership was fine, approval rating was fine. So I have no idea why it suddenly dropped from 100% to 74%. it wasn't just the USA QOLF that dropped but it dropped all over the world with similar %. So I guess I will repeat the question. Does anyone know why this happens and how to fix it ?
Also the next year I suddenly noticed that the winning alliance was the Sovjet-union ..... and I don't know why that happened either. My military and total influence was higher than ever before and I had like 50 or more countries in my team and they have like 5 countries .... .

And is there a manual for this game ? That would be very helpfull to deal with certain issues.

Overall this is a great game, but as I said above a manual would be very helpfull to explain certain things that happen.

Mr_Fusty 30-11-2007 10:02 AM

There is a Manual. It came with the original CD-ROM version (I must be the only person who actully owns a ligit version of Shadow President.) I'll dig it out and send it in. It's in PDF format, and admittedly it's not alot of help.

In my version at least, there is a problem when you encorage social spending or vice-versa, it acutully goes down. Take a look at your social spending stats. That may be the reason for your declining QoL.

One question - is there any place where there are any other scenarios? If there is not, does anyone know how I could make a new one?

One last comment - has anyone seen a resergance of Fascism?

Donners 30-11-2007 11:56 PM

There is a manual at The Underdogs which I managed to download after a few attempts. It tells you even less than the tutorial, IMO.

Donners 30-11-2007 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guest (Post 309954)
hmm, oddly enough, I cant seem to find a speed option in the options menu. I see, elections, sound, clock, disasters, animations, and auto-pilot toggle on/off for all. I cant seem to find anything related to speed. :/

Try the number buttons on your keyboard... :)

Deavile 16-12-2007 03:28 AM

Woooooooooooo First Post First Post

OK, this is the next best thing to a fansite I've ever found, so a bit of posting seems in order.

A friend of mine and I used to play this quite a bit when we were in the West Indies. I was pretty young at the time and absolutely apeshit horrified of nuclear war, so I wasn't *quite* as bellicose as he was - but I picked up a few interesting things.

To wit: war is REALLY hard to manage properly, but it CAN be done. There are a few rules that can be exploited pretty heavily, although they're not universally true.

1) Quantity is a quality all its own. Call this Rule #1 of Shadow President. Whether intentionally or as an accidental quirk of the engine, it is almost always a better idea to do whatever it is you want to do repeatedly instead of just once. Negative consequences for any action either stop working long before the 'positives', or are so drastic that a single action isn't going to do anything near enough to justify them. Take surgical strikes, my favorite military tool. (This game, made in the wake of Stormin' Norman's absurd military campaign in Iraq - which killed a lot of innocents, but nowhere near as much as the current campaign, and had the fourth-strongest army on the planet surrendering to camera crews - clearly understands JUST how important air power is to a global superpower like the US, although a lack of any other air/sea options is disappointing.)
Surgical strikes do a number of different things: they kill what seems to be a more or less fixed number of military personnel (grumble: if only they could be programmed differently, because using air power to sweep and destroy the enemy military would be really nice), destroy a certain amount of military spending, dramatically affect social numbers in the US and wherever you hit, immediately flattens their nuclear program, etc. (More on surgical strikes in relation to society later.) The social effects are such that a single strike WILL top out military/nuclear/etc. anxieties in the target country, and likely the US. The problem is that the military effects are pretty minor.

The best solution is to press zero and launch surgical strikes until your clicking finger gets tired, then resume time and authorize every last one as they come. There's probably an ideal number - there's a certain granularity of time in Shadow President, and so many actions of a certain type in a day/week/month/whatever stop doing much, but start again after a time.

I've never had an Iraq war last longer than December.

This WILL bottom/top a lot of seriously important things: your LER is going to be in the stratosphere, but so is your ambition and anxiety. Your ethic level is going to be at rock bottom before the first week. But it's a very efficient way of getting things done.

Nukes are best used in a similar fashion - if you choose to use them at all. I've never encountered nuclear winter, but the post-nuclear world is a violent place suited only for violent men. World conquest REQUIRES nukes. There's no way to get around it, and usually the only way to create a favorable climate for conquest is through nuclear attacks.

The more peaceable options might pose more of a problem this way: rejections seem to have a bigger effect on LER than acceptance, so only do this with actions in the 80%+ range of success, or your LER is going to plummet.

There are a few options for which this obviously doesn't work - econ settings, for instance.

2) Your National Security Advisor is more important than he looks. If he dies, waging war and remaining popular will become effectively impossible. Why? Simple: country attitude.

You may have noticed that taking an action towards some countries raises your popularity (and LER, but we won't tackle that now), while doing the same with others will lower it. While there's a range of reasons for this, the one that seems dominant in the calculus to me is the country interaction attitude, or whatever the game calls it. Select country, select NSA, first or so paragraph.

It might be wise to try and compile a list of attitudes and their effects on various actions, but this much I know: surgical strikes improve popularity if and only if the target's attitude towards you is Rivalry. This is why repeated surgical strikes on Iraq can put you in the 80s-90s for approval, yet a single nuclear strike on, say, Iran (enmity) or Nigeria (competition) will pretty much shitcan you immediately (I've had drops of better than 8%, something difficult to exceed without a nuke strike).

This is actually a fairly good way to get really popular and stay really popular, as well as shooting your LER into the clouds. Bomb the bejesus out of a country who hates you, but only a lot instead of a whole bunch - Iraq, Syria, and Libya are initially good ones, although there are probably others, and I'm fairly sure others crop up over time as well. Libya is actually a pretty much ideal punching bag, they've got an extremely weak military and nobody likes them. Chad did it, and so can you! (IIRC, they have a military size >50,000, so they're a walkover after softening with military strikes anyway) Be warned that this is NOT going to work with Rivalry countries who are aligned with the USSR. Gorbachev will nuke you and you will cry. Or nuke back, but either which way you're out of office within the month.

3) The War Room has a bizarre significance that takes a little while to get used to. It's a lot easier to observe trends within it - there's a pause every 24 hours no matter what, and events happen a lot faster (no animation/sound for every international event). You are immediately apprised of any drops in popularity (I've had deaths of a thousand cuts outside of the War Room, where my popularity went down by degrees to 35% by signing too many trade agreements, without anyone saying a word about it), and obviously it's where you want to be in a war.

Additionally, and this is REALLY important: YOU ARE IMMORTAL IN THE WAR ROOM. You know how people were claiming it's impossible to essentially declare martial law/civil war in response to popularity being low enough to cause impeachment? That's how you avoid it. It's also the only way I've ever been able to see an assassination carried out by domestic agents; you can stay in the war room during an unpopular war and have your popularity plummet to 1-2%, and the moment you emerge, blam! Someone shoots you. Or, if you're really lucky, you get impeached.

I'm not 100% sure if the immortality is true of a paused simulation outside of the war room, but I'd go with no to be safe. It *might* be possible to leave the war room, perform actions, then return to your subterranean lair; I dunno. Beneath 25% or so, if you step out of the war room you're essentially a dead POTUS walking.

4) Miscellaneous observations:
*The scenarios are pretty fun, although the setup is a little different: initial 50% global LER, stuff like. And every country has different attitudes towards YOU in each one. And there's a Somali-Ethiopian war going on in each and every one, oddly enough.
*Free trade is good, but unpopular. (In the game. In real life, it sucks ass but is easy to pull off politically - but we won't get into that.) There should be a way to predict how changing trade levels will affect your LER; as far as I can tell, for popularity, more trade is always worse, and there seems to be a 1x inverse correspondance between trade levels and popularity. It took me MFNing every little country in South America to realize that; by that point, I was in the low 30s. Then I had to deal with Iraq.
*Play it as a game. The ideological/professional slant is paleocon/wonk, something that can be summed up pretty well with 60% of the budget being devoted to 'social' and social reducing GNP growth. (Ay yi yi.) Pressure for social/education reforms *reduces* spending instead of increasing it; one of the scenarios proposes a spending orgy 1981-1996 as a cause for massive US decline, Iraq as a nuclear superpower is treated as a serious option, and then there's the cute terror of Japan/Germany growing into hyperpowers and extinguishing the poor US. (Remember that? Back when Michael Crichton was writing about the menace posed by the Japanese - for him, generally evil, racist cyborgs bent on the destruction of the innocent West - instead of anybody who thinks global warming is real - i.e. ecologo-islamofascists bent on the destruction of the innocent West? Ah, good times; how innocent we were before South Africa fell to communism.) A few of the country setups are basically politically inflammatory, and the enemies of the US policy establishment at the time are all Evil Bad Ambitious Unethical Police States(TM), with few US allies getting the same treatment. As an ardent leftist I take issue with a lot of it, but I don't write it, folks - I just play it.
* It's a LOT easier to exploit a warlike world than a peaceable one. The real challenge might just be in creating Global Peace - and in this regard, SP simulates reality admirably.

5) Search through the game files. You can find a lot of stuff in there you wouldn't normally encounter. For instance, here's a list of ideologies, with a representative scenario/country for each:

Democratic Capitalism - 1990, US
Communism - 1990, USSR
Democratic Socialism - Resource Wars, Sweden (?)
Fascism - Never encountered
Democratic Islam - 1990, Egypt (?)
Fundamental Islam - 1990, Iran
Zionism - 1990, Israel {NOTE: Only seems to occur in Israel/colonies}
Imperialism - 1990, South Africa
-- index 8
Developing Capitalism - 1990, Mexico (?)
Democratic Nationalism - Resource Wars, Vietnam
Developing Centralism - Never encountered (? - might be wrong)
Centralized Islam - ? Resource Wars, Sudan?
index 13
Capitalism
Communism
Socialism
Fascism
Demo Islam
Fund Islam
Zionism
Imperialism
Environment {Seems to have been cut out; never encountered it}
Dev.Capital
Nationalism
Centralism
Cent. Islam

Deavile 16-12-2007 03:37 AM

Huh. The forum keeps on calling me Deavile. Strange.

*mutter*

The Fifth Horseman 17-12-2007 01:21 PM

You probably registered through the forum rather than the site. Go to www.abandonia.com/user and register there.

digitCruncher 26-05-2008 07:22 PM

Great game!! I love it already. There are a couple of issues / questions I have however...

#1: During peace-time my ambition heads downwards. HARD. In fact global ambition is often between 1 and 2 (I am 2.3, making America one of the most ambitious countries in the world), EXCEPT for the Middle East, which has ambition, quite often, maxed out. How do I increase my ambition, or is the only way to declare war, or have a terrible economy? [Edit] I know WHY my ambition is slumping: Its all the trade / cultural / diplomatic missions I am doing... [/Edit]

#2: I want to strengthen ties with the economic hotspots of the world... how do I find out who has a strong economy??

#3: Is it possible to find out Police State Level / Peace Level WITHOUT doing a mission?

#4: Is it just me, or is the Great Britian <-> American alliance VERY weak??

#5: I want more Humantitarian Aid, and less Nuclear aid (and preferrably less Military Aid). I note that the total Economic and Humanitarian Aid is less than either of the Military, or Nuclear Aid. How do I change the aid rates?? Other than NZ, I don't want any new nuclear super-powers.

Otherwise its a great game. I would have thought that Iraq losing a war would crush their ambition totally, but it didn't, so I wasted ALOT of time and effort defending Kuwait. Otherwise, there hasn't been much action ATM... China / Soviets seemed to nearly invade Japan, but they have shyed away. I am currently trying to get China to love America, by spreading tons of cultural trade deals, as well as giving them TONS of aid :P I am building up for a massive military strike on Iraq in '92, and it seems as if no-one has noticed that 800,000 troops have been deployed. As is, I will NOT declare war before the election, as there is nothing I could do to get re-elected (last time, I went down to 8% popularity in the polls... I think the only reason I didn't get assasinated was due to the fact I was cowering in the War Room :P)

Anyway, could someone answer my questions? Cheers.

Fubb 27-05-2008 09:59 PM

Shadow President is awesome..

My quality of life tanked in August 2001. I first noticed it on the second, and by the 30th it had, (by my calculations) gone down by a head numbing 2%. To quell this, I lowered the personaly tax per dollar an entire cent, hoping My people wouldn't impeach me.

I lasted until December 2nd, and when this happend, I was really mad at china, and meracusously, got CAUGHT trying to perform a coup...

I was sucked into war almost immiediatly. By this time, however, Russia came to save me :) And we managed to win the war, and destroy N.Korea, and Cuba..

Only to have France and Brazil launch nukes at us.

In no time at all, after numerous deaths all over the world with the never ending Nuclear war that was just started, My people tore me away from my conosle and I lost...all because I tried to fix QoL...

..Anyone know if CyberJudas (sequel to shadow) Is free?

Fubb 31-05-2008 04:14 PM

I wish in Shadow president:

1) You could be any country you like, from Qatar to the Soviet Union

2) It was multyplayer!

I'd expect someone would have made like a mod or remake of it already. Hmph:(

Holy Paradise 22-06-2008 09:13 PM

I got Windows Vista (A worthless piece of crap) and i can't run this game alone.

dosraider 22-06-2008 10:05 PM

Dosbox works flawless in Vista.
As it's a dosgame, you hardly can expect this game to run directly on a modern OS.......
Run it in dosbox.

Holy Paradise 23-06-2008 12:40 AM

on Dosbox, It starts up and I get to the world map, but then it freezes. Also there is no sound.

dosraider 23-06-2008 06:19 AM

Run sndsetup first.
After the sound setup it shuts down, probably because it's cracked, but it runs fine when you start it with
shadow from dosboxprompt.

Holy Paradise 23-06-2008 07:42 PM

Still doesn't work.

Wait...

It works now, I don't have sound yet but I can just reconfigure that.

Thanks.

Holy Paradise 23-06-2008 08:00 PM

Okay, I have a built in Sigmatel High Definition Audio Codec speakers

how can I get sound to play for this game with those speakers?

dosraider 23-06-2008 08:06 PM

Via dosbox .....
[edit]
But the game seems to been ripped, means it doesn't have all sounds.
Some music at start, and the voice of the president when closing, and some ingame sounds.

SadisticLycan 26-07-2008 06:04 PM

My First Term

The first timeI played, I was assassinated. I've been hooked ever since!

ShadowPres 22-08-2008 11:37 AM

Strategy

OK, now I've played this game a few dozen times and have it fairly well figured out, usually the most challenging way to play is to try and invade and hold onto as much of the world as possible without getting nuked. But (after nuking New Zealand) it's the first thing everyone does. So I'd like to share with you my strategy for building a peaceful world.

In every scenario Iraq will invade Kuwait in August 1990 so the first thing I do is go to Saudi Arabia(If SA won't allow you to place troops Kuwait or Iraq/Saudi Neutral Zone will do just as well) and Turkey and send as many troop as possible(about 2.1 mil)
if they won't allow you to send the troops try sending fewer troops to start with(even as few as 1) then up the numbers a few days later.

Then I go to the budget screen and and have a bit of fiddle with that
1) abolish sales tax
2) get rid of all investment(in the US Econ decline scenario this alone will actually increase growth as you are balancing the budget)
3) if you're not playing the US Econ decline scenario decrease taxes so the budget deficit is the same as it was before you got rid of investment. The people are now happier, you have higher growth and the budget is in the same shape.(I usually lower Corp. taxes to about 45% and then make up the difference with income tax)
4) increase foreign aid to about $50Bn, you'll need it later on.

Then I start handing out MFN trade status like there's no tomorrow.
First to any Western European country that doesn't already have it, also Poland, Czechoslovakia and Austria
Then Mexico, Brazil, India and Japan. Your budget should be in better shape now.
Giving out too much MFN is dangerous to your popularity though but giving it out to developed countries doesn't seem to hurt and the other big economies are well worth the small popularity hit for the extra cash.

Next I'll usually just hit 5 and wait for Saddam to invade Kuwait
I have my troops help defend Kuwait and invade Iraq at the same time. Sometimes Turkey will help you out with some troops but don't count on it.
Immediately hit Iraq 5 or 6 times with Surgical Strikes, don't overdo this, it'll make your human right and ethic scores plummet and make it nearly impossible to get anything done later on.
Unless Iraq does it first restrict trade, it'll be a blow to their leadership effectiveness.
The war should be over by the early 1991 if not before the new year.

Typically I'd put about 500,000 troops in Iraq as an occupation force and bring the ones from Turkey and the Arabian Peninsula home. Return trade status for Iraq to Regulated or MFN.

I'd usually hang onto Iraq for a while, doing Peace Envoy and Promote Human Rights until HR has reached 'Mostly Free' and peace has reached 'Just Peace'(Use the 'Filter View'), then return Iraq to autonomy and bring the rest of the troops home.

Ok, this is where the real statesmanship begins, armed with 90+% leadership effectiveness from the victory in Iraq I start doing Peace Envoy and Promote Human Rights in South and Central America until each country has 'Just Peace' and 'Mostly Free'.
I then give all these countries MFN and Economic Aid to have them growing at 3.6%(or 4.2% whatever the green level is) or above and Social Aid in proportion to the Social Aid Needed filter.
Mexico and Brazil will take ridiculous amounts of aid to get their growth up to scratch so I'll usually leave them out of this step.
You can also win over some small countries to your team by giving military and intelligence aid(as well as nuclear but i usually wouldn't, we're trying to build a peaceful world remember)

Now you have your own backyard in order, Economic Growth at about 5% and popularity of about 60%. Now you can start worrying about what to do with the rest of the world. Use similar patterns for the rest of the world. You have a lot of credibility so you can afford the occasional little war, Libya and Syria can be a pain in the ass so invade them and set up a friendly government like you did in Iraq, North Korea is a pain also but invasion will usually result in Soviet intervention so I'd leave that alone.

A few Misc. observations

The game is very heavily geared to a free trade ideology
ie:

Lowering Tariffs is good for the economy but disastrous for your popularity, don't touch it.
Investment will never get you as much growth as an equivalent tax cut(as mentioned above you should just do away with it early on)
MFN always gives growth benefits to both countries but is unpopular if you give it to poor countries.

The game model only really works well for about 7 or 8 years then weird things start happening (It seems to happen even quicker the more you upset the status quo, eg. if you are having a lot of wars or flinging nukes about the place)

As mentioned a few times in this forum quality of life starts going a bit wacky(I have a theory about this; that one country achieves a huge increase in QofL and as it is relative to highest ever reached other countries therefore have a lower ranking despite having not gone backwards, I don't know if the game gives enough data to verify this but Avg GDP seems to not change so who knows, it is just as likely to be me over-rationalizing a bug)

Also national ideologies start changing in unpredictable ways, you quite often see Russia or China adopting imperialism and joining a team with South Africa and one or two other randoms that have decided to adopt it as well.(this is just one example, I've also seen a socialist Mexico and a few other weird things along these lines)

Hope this is useful to someone.

ShadowPres 22-08-2008 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Presidant (Post 277941)
Is there no way to edit a couple files for the game? maybe changing names of things, or editing ideologies. (I mean they all have letters next to them so it would make sense that these letters are editable in some file (s).

This would be brilliant, i used to muck about with alot of DOS games, a cursory glance at the files though they don't seem to be simple text documents easily edited, I looked at about 6 or 7 likely named files, they are either indecipherable gibberish or are only for text so I guess you can change some of what is said, menu text, country names etc. but none of the actual gameplay.

Al-Ibrahim 28-08-2008 04:04 PM

It'd be nice if this game simulated the breakup of the USSR considering the effects it had in world politics. Then again, this came out in 1993 for DOS, so probably a bit too complicated. Also, have you guys noticed that you can make Puerto Rico independent? (It starts off as a puppet state, or at least has the same status as if you conquered a nation, and you can revoke that status to make it free)

Another thing I disliked (that its sequel actually made slightly worse due to waiting) is that information isn't centralized. It should all be in one menu with dropdown things and such.

Also, what's with the Iraq-Saudi Neutral Zone being its own 'country'? Why not just have it as an unclickable... thing? It's odd when you hear news of riots in it and such. Not to mention that it came to an end in 1991.

TrueRebel 09-09-2008 08:38 AM

:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guest (Post 129218)
I love this game! I nuke everything, and it rocks. I nuked France for saying they don't like me.

I couldn't stop laughing after reading this one. Boy, you must be crazy :laugh:

Fubb 04-10-2008 12:09 AM

Erm, how do I contact the U.N? Cause I was only ever able to contact them after Iraq Invades Kuwait (which rarely happens for me, btw, cause i usually get good relations with Iraq and stop them from doing it)

Also, WHY HAS'NT ANYONE MADE A FAN-MADE REMAKE OF THIS GAME?

Think of it, we could add so much stuff, like, instead of nuking a country, you'd see the missile appear on your radar thingie, and see it's trajectory heading and stuff and where it'll land so you can prepare yourself. I was royal pissed when Israel attacked me, even after I help them hold off Syria in the year 1993. dont ask, but I was fooling around with them :p

If i saw the nuke appear, i'd be like "Oi what the hell man?" and nuke them back just as fast :) and also try to shoot down the nuke flying to me (if such technology existed in the 90's that is)

Also, Peacekeeping would be a nice factor to add to the game. I would send peace keepers into Israel and Ethopia and Sudan and stuff like that :)

WilliamC23 04-10-2008 08:29 AM

I remember one time I played this the USSR nuked Japan for no apparent reason, no one retaliated with nukes but the USSR became incredibly unstable and they had like 3 assassinations and nfteen coups.

fettoswe 04-10-2008 08:33 AM

Shadow president must be one the of the greatest simulator games ever. I can play it for hours and never get tired of it. I even have the sequel "cyber judas" it has little better graphics but it's kinda slow compared to shadow president. In cyber judas you can only skip time 2 hours per second. In shadow you can skip one day per second. :max:

WilliamC23 04-10-2008 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fettoswe (Post 338867)
Shadow president must be one the of the greatest simulator games ever. I can play it for hours and never get tired of it. I even have the sequel "cyber judas" it has little better graphics but it's kinda slow compared to shadow president. In cyber judas you can only skip time 2 hours per second. In shadow you can skip one day per second. :max:

I bought CyberJudas. I enjoy the "traitor" aspect of that game.

fettoswe 04-10-2008 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamC23 (Post 338868)
I bought CyberJudas. I enjoy the "traitor" aspect of that game.

Yeah I enjoyed it to but i can only play it in Vmware and it's pretty slow.:oh:

Fubb 04-10-2008 04:07 PM

I want Cyber Judas, but it's not abandonware yet :p And i dont like buyign things off the net...

ANYWAYS no one answered my question, is there a way to contact the U.N whenever you want? Cause im only able to contact them when Iraq invades Kuwait. I don't like launchign desert storm, I always have so many casualties.

fettoswe 04-10-2008 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fubb (Post 338941)
I want Cyber Judas, but it's not abandonware yet :p And i dont like buyign things off the net...

ANYWAYS no one answered my question, is there a way to contact the U.N whenever you want? Cause im only able to contact them when Iraq invades Kuwait. I don't like launchign desert storm, I always have so many casualties.

Well it's to bad it's nearly impossible to find if you don't buy on the net.

I don't think there is another way to contact the UN. You can only contact them if another country invades/attackes you or another country. I like experiment sometimes and have been able to get canada and mexico to attack me. I did just by blocking trade with them and make some surgical strikes.:whistling:

Fubb 04-10-2008 04:24 PM

I wasn't alloud to contact the U.N when Argentina invaded the Falk Land islands from the brits...

Coarse I invaded it back right after, and stockpiled troops on it (around 10,000) right after, just to have men in the theater so I could try to be ready for a war against Argentina. They attacked the islands 2 days later, and 7000 casualties for them later and 4000 for mine, we had peace.

Is there a way to make 2 countries (say France and Britain) go to war with each other?

fettoswe 04-10-2008 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fubb (Post 338944)
I wasn't alloud to contact the U.N when Argentina invaded the Falk Land islands from the brits...

Coarse I invaded it back right after, and stockpiled troops on it (around 10,000) right after, just to have men in the theater so I could try to be ready for a war against Argentina. They attacked the islands 2 days later, and 7000 casualties for them later and 4000 for mine, we had peace.

Is there a way to make 2 countries (say France and Britain) go to war with each other?

I have never tried to do that but I can experiment. It can proberly be done if you raise presuare the countrys enough. I know it possible to make france hit england with a nuclear strike.

Fubb 04-10-2008 05:29 PM

one last question

CIA things like assassinations, coups, and sellign arms to rebels never work for me (well, selling arms to rebels works occasionaly..)

The only time assassinations have worked for me is when im at war with the given country, and im yet to have the coup d'et work no matter what :(

WilliamC23 04-10-2008 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fettoswe (Post 338872)
Yeah I enjoyed it to but i can only play it in Vmware and it's pretty slow.:oh:

I've played it in DOSbox.

fettoswe 04-10-2008 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fubb (Post 338958)
one last question

CIA things like assassinations, coups, and sellign arms to rebels never work for me (well, selling arms to rebels works occasionaly..)

The only time assassinations have worked for me is when im at war with the given country, and im yet to have the coup d'et work no matter what :(

It works sometimes for me you need to have your "president effectnives" high. Try o assassinate the great britain in the beginning of the game it almost always works for me.

Fubb 04-10-2008 06:33 PM

But Great Britains my friend :( Im trying to demolish communism (I want to assassinate leader of China and the Soviet Union (Even though China and Soviets arn't even friends)

fettoswe 04-10-2008 08:49 PM

I have played many hours shadow president and have only succeded assainate the leader of russian maybe two or three times it's proberly because they are on their guard. :notrust:

Fubb 04-10-2008 11:02 PM

Well after the Soviet Union becomes Russia, I won't try to assassinate them, cause ill be lake 'Hey man!'

But i'll still go after China

fettoswe 05-10-2008 09:07 AM

I would go for soviet first then china. Raise your military budget so you get about 5 million soldiers then attack. Many many lifes will be sacrificed but you will proberly win easily.:thumbs:

polarcheese 24-10-2008 08:58 AM

ive got the text file of the quotes, where can I upload it?

The Fifth Horseman 24-10-2008 09:09 AM

Um, perhaps first you could explain to us... what quotes?

polarcheese 24-10-2008 09:59 AM

the ones for the copy protection questions

DoomYoshi 24-10-2008 10:40 PM

Not only is the game cracked, making those unnecessary but they are included when you download the game. Thanks anyways.

Fubb 31-10-2008 09:04 PM

Um, occasionaly when I ask a country to increase there nuclear or military spedning or ask to make an investment, they say "You first"

How do i increase my spending in those fields? I mean, I gotta get ready for the economy war...it is coming for me, it's 1993 and everythings slowly going downhill!

angry axe 02-11-2008 03:50 AM

lol O.K game but the logic is a bit thwarted, e.g Iraq invades quwait wins and im not allowed to even do a little surgical strike without getting condemned? but anyway every country that condemns me brings me a few nukes closer to being a "nuclear free nation" if you catch my drift. :thumbs:

Fubb 03-11-2008 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angry axe (Post 341504)
lol O.K game but the logic is a bit thwarted, e.g Iraq invades quwait wins and im not allowed to even do a little surgical strike without getting condemned? but anyway every country that condemns me brings me a few nukes closer to being a "nuclear free nation" if you catch my drift. :thumbs:

:nuke: Im preparing my Fallout Shelter as we speak.

Yor nation always hates surgical strikes, as do all the others, though it's a good way to make another country attack you..

Its spelled Kuwait.

Also, why did my popularity go down from 56% to 25% after I initiated desert storm on August 5th (i waited a couple days to see how Kuwait was doing on its own. Iraq didn't heed to my U.N requests.

DoomYoshi 04-11-2008 05:18 PM

^^This game was made by hippies!

I recently decided to nuke Brazil because it was not on any of the hot spots lists. China nuked me in response. Soviet Union then allied with me and nuked China. World Population after a few years of this... 2 billion. This game is awesome.

Fubb 17-12-2008 11:50 PM

Does anyone know how to win a war quickly? Desert Storm always costs me allot of men and popularity, even with other nations helping me

In other news, Argentinan Forces have been pushed off of the Falk Land islands for the second time in only 5 years! Yay! U.S suffered 143 casualties.

And in other other news, Some little island in the Pacific fell to american forcces for only 50 deaths.

Im on the war path :D

laiocfar 18-12-2008 12:26 AM

Defensive wars normally are cheaper and popular. The problem is that you can make 1000 preventive deployments for free.

Fubb 18-12-2008 09:22 PM

No i want to know how to win a war faster, and easier

dtsmith1984 26-02-2009 12:58 PM

Someone mentioned before about putting troops in Iraq after winning the war to occupy. How is this done? Even during the war I cannot put troops in Iraq it always tells me Turkey or Saudi Arabia or Kuwait is willing to accept your troops.

And then even after Iraq surrenders, they are not friendly and I can still not put troops in the country.

Is there a way to take over countries where you have control of them? or atleast make them friendly towards the US and accept troops?

Oh I wish... 18-03-2009 05:34 AM

Still?

Is Cyberjudas still not available for Download?

arete 18-03-2009 06:03 AM

It's available. Click on the "Download this Game!" tab in the upper left corner of your screen, under the game info. :)

TheChosen 18-03-2009 06:22 AM

He's talking about a whole different game Arete.

enrell 19-03-2009 04:40 AM

how to recruit advisors?

anyone managed to recruit new advisors after the prev died/resigned??

Fubb 28-03-2009 06:55 PM

Enrell I dont think you can.

Arete Cyberjudas is the sequel to Shadow President that i want to play but its still sold.

Or somefin.

NOW MY PROBLEM

WTF On my new pc it wont play, i open it and when the tutorial starts and i press esc to exit it, it just locks up and does nothing. Grrr, what do I do?

EDIT: Also, If I do get Shadow President to work, what course should I take? I want Cuba out by 1992, but cant invade it because of the Soviets, so is there a way to bring the Soviet Union down faster? I want a Capitalist-style goverment in Cubas place, because I dont want Russia or something aiding there nuclear spendings.

Also Is there a way to persuade Russia to lower Troop garrisons in N. Korea if I do the same in South Korea? I want military tensions in the area low while i provide South Korea and Japan with nuclear spending aid.

one last question: Last time i was playing before my pc died, China was going to invade Taiwan, but Taiwan wouldn't let me place troops on there island, is there a way to make them? Because polotic and stuff doesn't seem to work.

Thats all for now.

your possible next President of the (shadow) United States of America.

VOTE FUBB!

EDITEDIT: Also to occupy a country sort of, you need to first deploy troops in there. They only let you deploy troops if they LIKE YA, and getting them to LIKE YA is hard.

Though I once had 50,000 troops based in China :D which was communist so that was sorta big. Also helped when India invaded burma in roughly...1995 or so when everything started to slide. I was trying to make the Commie goverments happy, OK?

Also i noticed that budgets are...holy CRAP

How can i get my budget up to +1 billion so on, and put my economic growth rate up? I thought strengthening economic ties would work, but...yea.

Also anyone ever notice how if your friends areas (e.g Falk Land islands which belong to England and were invaded by Argentina in 1982 and again in SP in 1990-1991 for me) are invaded and you invade them back, you gain a ton of popularity?

Fubb 29-03-2009 10:02 PM

^PLEASE pay attention to my question up thee....^

Also another question. If you have troops, say in Albania, and theres terrorism/insurgency in that country, can some troops die in the cross fire? That'd sorta simulate a "War on terror" sorta deal, that'd be a neat simulation experience.

Also, time for "Strategy corner" with your host, Fubb.

Islands. Islands in the pacific, carribean, atlantic! Islands are helpful, because it counts you as having troops in "a region" and inturn those troops can help out in any sort of armed conflict. It's always safe to keep a garrison of 1000-5000 troops on an island. An example of where this comes in handy, would be while I was playing one time. I had a garrison of 1000 troops on the Falk Land islands which belonged to england. That didn't stop Argentinan forces from invading the island though! Oh no. An Argentinan expeditionary force landed on the island in hopes of capturing it, but when they ran into 1000 american troops, they turned tail and ran! Minimal casualties for us, heavy for them. Island garrison came in handy.

That was "Strategy Corner" *que soft piano music*

TheSurgeon 24-04-2009 04:12 AM

Can't run

Sorry for posting on the wrong thread.

I can't seem to be able to run this game. Every time - DOSbox or not - it gives me "file not found' and blocks out.

Is the problem with me or in the game?

devilisme 24-04-2009 06:22 AM

@TheSurgeon: it runs fine with me using DosBox 0.72.. i ran the shadow.exe..

zirkoni 24-04-2009 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSurgeon (Post 361368)
Sorry for posting on the wrong thread.

I can't seem to be able to run this game. Every time - DOSbox or not - it gives me "file not found' and blocks out.

Is the problem with me or in the game?

Maybe you should try re-downloading the game.

TheSurgeon 24-04-2009 02:03 PM

Yep

Yep, thx, that fixed the problem. :)

The game looks fascinatingly interesting. I only have to find out how it works now (lol).

I've gotten the hang of it I think, except for foreign aid. I still haven't figured out the "demand" & "recommend" and how to distribute it (they recommend me to send 2.4 aid to Pakistan, and I'm already sending 32?).

MaxStone 01-05-2009 03:48 AM

Any Advice?

Any advice on what to do? I'm pretty lost at the beginning of the game, having totally insufficient foreign aid to send to Israel, Turkey, Pakistan and the Philippines.

Also, can the time be sped up and slowed down?

El Quia 05-05-2009 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fubb (Post 358114)
on the Falk Land islands which belonged to england.

The Malvinas are Argentines! ;)

The Malvinas/Falklands issue is a touchy subject for us Argentinians, ho. And the war was a bloody propaganda effort from the thrice damned assassins, torturers and despicable military dictators that ruled Argentina at the time. Fortunately, we lost that war: that finished to weaken the little support they had, speeding the return of democracy to my country. But it also leaved us with a generation of "colimbas" (conscripts. At the time, we had compulsory conscription) scarred for life and a shamefull history of abandoned veterans.

But this has nothing to do with the game. Sorry for the digression.

Budgeteer 17-05-2009 12:10 AM

Budget?

Does anyone know how the budget works and are there any advices?

I always seem to get my leadership incredibly low and keep falling in popularity, until I get angry and nuke my enemies. Any advices?

zx08zx 24-05-2009 08:17 PM

help

hey all i have windows xp and i get to where i enter the question to get on the game it takes it goes to next screen and freezes this is me favorite game can ne one plz help i have tried running in windos and cmd

zirkoni 24-05-2009 09:13 PM

Use DOSBox!!!

zx08zx 24-05-2009 09:18 PM

help

Quote:

Originally Posted by zirkoni (Post 366500)
Use DOSBox!!!

I TRIED dosbox it starts playing the music for like 5 seconds then stops and freezes on the screen saying shadow president w the eye on it
if could help me my msn msg is [EDITEd]

plz help ty
bin trying for 2 hours

zx08zx 24-05-2009 09:33 PM

daang it

ok ty for the help i got to work and not freeze but i caint move me mouse it sits in spot and shakes when i try to move it in dosbox anyone know how to fix this?

zx08zx 25-05-2009 08:10 PM

games like shadow president??

hey all i have win xp and seems to be several problems w doxbox and xp. so i looking for games simular to shadow president that xp can run? any of u konw if there any games very simular to shadow president? ty all

Narnyay 29-05-2009 02:47 PM

can anyone make scenarios?

hi i love this game, been playing it since 1993.

i'm wondering has there ever been other scenarios released for the game besides the few that come with it?

could anyone edit the game and create their own scenario? Perhaps maybe a 2009 scenario or being able to play as another country? This game has so much potential but it deserves more. How cool would it be to play as Iraq and trying to invade nearby countries or play as north korea and develop a nuclear program or becoming more peaceful with other countries and raising the standard of living?

Al-Ibrahim 26-07-2009 05:02 AM

The game was clearly made for only the US to be playable and for all actions, etc. to be based on playing as the US. If somehow an editing god managed to make, say, Saudi Arabia or something playable, the game would probably be very unstable.

WilliamC23 29-07-2009 06:45 PM

It seems to me that technology level has absolutely no impact over the success of the troops. I've had massive casualties against any backward nation. On top of that it seems that any war is unpopular, even if necessary.

NotLoggedInSurgeon 06-08-2009 12:36 PM

Sequel

Everyone keeps telling me the sequel is a lot better, just I can't seem to find it anywhere on the net.

Any hand?

TotalAnarchy 06-08-2009 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotLoggedInSurgeon (Post 378790)
Everyone keeps telling me the sequel is a lot better, just I can't seem to find it anywhere on the net.

Any hand?

Maybe it's because you're searching the wrong name. Try CyberJudas

NotLoggedIn 06-08-2009 07:27 PM

Nope

Quote:

Originally Posted by TotalAnarchy (Post 378794)
Maybe it's because you're searching the wrong name. Try CyberJudas

Nope, I've looked it using the correct names.

There really isn't any place to download it. Does anyone on Abandonia perhaps possess it?

Luchsen 06-08-2009 08:09 PM

Take it while it's fresh. :max:

Fubb 06-08-2009 11:17 PM

time to try the sequel out :clap:

Surgeon 07-08-2009 10:59 AM

Ah

Ah, just when I thought I got it! :no:

I managed to download all files except for CJ.r01. If I am not mistaken, it seems that piece has a broken upload. I've tried downloading it both through a downloader softwer and "manually", and every single time it stops at 18%.

So close this time... :sick:

Luchsen 07-08-2009 11:29 AM

Does work for me. :oh:

Surgeon 07-08-2009 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luchsen (Post 378931)
Does work for me. :oh:

It must be with my router then again.

I use the download for continued download, because ordinary downloads constantly keep cracking for me, and surprisingly, always at the very same place they cracked the first time.

However, according to the big red NO, the website doesn't support continuous downloads, so that means there's no chance for me to download it from that link. :no:

TotalAnarchy 07-08-2009 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surgeon (Post 378960)
It must be with my router then again.

I use the download for continued download, because ordinary downloads constantly keep cracking for me, and surprisingly, always at the very same place they cracked the first time.

However, according to the big red NO, the website doesn't support continuous downloads, so that means there's no chance for me to download it from that link. :no:

Delete your temporary files and download again.

Surgeon 07-08-2009 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TotalAnarchy (Post 378961)
Delete your temporary files and download again.

I've tried. It still stops and always at 18% or 33%. At 3 computers.

The only option is if there were an alternative link (uploaded again). 2 games were sent to me that way by one forum member using sendspace. If someone had the enough time to do so...

CaptainWill 10-08-2009 06:01 PM

I'm guessing the link posted on the last page has expired? If so then that's some bad luck because I've been looking for that game forever. :mhh:

CaptainWill 10-08-2009 06:09 PM

Sorry, just realised what I'd done wrong. Apologies.

AnHero 23-08-2009 09:19 PM

About the budget.

When I first start the game, I notice the budget is in deficit (i.e in the minus range), and no matter what I did to resolve it, it either chewed up my popular support or GDP.

Is there any other way to add earnings instead of raising taxes/tariffs?. Thanks in advance.

It's a pretty realistic game, I might add. Now I know why Presidents tend to sprout the greys a whole lot faster than normal.

Racing Fanatic 01-09-2009 02:41 AM

I think I can confirm that the game breaks if you mess with the status quo...

After blasting Iraq so badly with surgical strikes that they couldn't strike ANYONE (ambition went down to 2 for some reason), I noticed my police state rating had shot through the roof. I spent the rest of my first year trying to fix that.

Only to notice at the start of the next year that France, South Korea, and Germany had allied with the USSR. "What the hell?," methinks.

Then I look at the ideologies. The Soviet Union? Developing Capitalism.

That's... going to be interesting to deal with...

Unregistered Guest 04-09-2009 06:05 PM

downloading the game

Hi, when I downloaded Shadow President and went to unzip the file I got screensavers but not the actual game. There is no game on the download just screensavers. Can someone help me?

Thank you.

Lulu_Jane 04-09-2009 06:40 PM

I just downloaded the archive and checked for you, it was fine. Perhaps you should try downloading it again, also I suggest you read our DOSbox tutorial :)

EDIT: I just tried running this under windows like the review suggests and it tends to hang during the title screen. Perhaps this is the problem you're referring to? The game seemed to run fine using VDMSound though, so I recommend using that.

Unregistered Guest 04-09-2009 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lulu_Jane (Post 381893)
I just downloaded the archive and checked for you, it was fine. Perhaps you should try downloading it again, also I suggest you read our DOSbox tutorial :)

EDIT: I just tried running this under windows like the review suggests and it tends to hang during the title screen. Perhaps this is the problem you're referring to? The game seemed to run fine using VDMSound though, so I recommend using that.

First, thank you. It is nice to know someone will respond.

Ok, I have DOSbox and I have downloaded other games before here. But when I go to unzip Shadow President it says, "Install screen saver from Shadow President.zip." I had the same problem with King of Chicago. For example I get this list from Shadow President:

elecan.scr
eleccut.scr
election.scr
etc, etc (the list is long)

This does not happen to me with most games. Most of the games run fine but with this one all I get are screensavers. It is very weird.

The Fifth Horseman 04-09-2009 07:05 PM

*cough*
Not screensavers. Game data. The SCR extension is a coincidence. Just unpack everything in the game directory and use the DIR *.exe command in DOS to find the actual executable.

Lulu_Jane 04-09-2009 07:09 PM

If you still have a problem I recommend you ask your question in the Troubleshooting section of the forum, and someone much more clever than me will definitely help sort you out :)

EDIT: And there you have it, someone much more clever than me got there first :D

Unregistered Guest 04-09-2009 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman (Post 381898)
*cough*
Not screensavers. Game data. The SCR extension is a coincidence. Just unpack everything in the game directory and use the DIR *.exe command in DOS to find the actual executable.

See... that makes sense but my WinZip is telling me they are screensavers. I can’t download them all at once but one at a time and when I do it just tries to put it in as a screensaver. The WinZip even gives a long speech about how to deal with multiple screensaver files. Haha!

So how can I unpack everything in the game directory if it does not even recognize it as a game? Normally, WinZip says. “unzip or install from “title of game.zip” but that is not the case here. Again, same with the game King of Chicago. To be clear, I have to unzip the file if I want to unpack the game right?

Unregistered Guest 04-09-2009 07:29 PM

Fifth Horseman, I forgot you can open the zip file without unzipping... anyways I got what you are saying I think.

Thanks for the help everyone!

UntouchableJ 18-11-2009 04:20 AM

Budget

I cant figure out why my (public reaction to budget) keeps plucking away at my popularity and no matter what I do the public reaction always is negative to the budget(well it usually starts after a year)
income:1619
spending:1616
gnp growth:3.2%
proj:3.5

popularity:45.1%
proj:12.2
tax
pers:15.0
corp:44.0
sales:6.8
tariff:4.0

no matter what i change the people have a "negative reaction" to the budget:doh2:

UntouchableJ 19-11-2009 08:34 AM

nvrmind I know now :P..but does anyone know how I can increase nuclear & military spending in my own country? my defense budget is high(700 billion) but both of those are low and nuclear spending is zero

AnHero 24-11-2009 08:31 AM

I've written a rudimentary playing guide on gamefaqs.

If anyone has any questions/comments, please feel free to ask.

arete 25-11-2009 06:39 AM

Nice. Tks very much ^_^

Cycieties 08-01-2010 09:55 PM

Here's a way to cheat in Shadow President: save often and reload when you don't get a desired result. I haven't tried it but in theory you can befriend all of the hostile nations by reloading until they accept your social action(s). Sometimes though two actions will cluster together so it's best to cancel the second action and retry it if the first action is successful.

Cycieties 08-01-2010 10:02 PM

Oh and I managed to get Iraq notr to invade Kuwait by surgical striking 'em while they were doing their big build-up to invade Kuwait. Helps to have at least 500,000 troops in Kuwait and/or Saudi-Iraqi Neutral Zone.

Surgeon 16-01-2010 10:22 PM

CJ

Someone had posted CyberJudas, but it's not in the ISO Cellar, nor anywhere.

TotalAnarchy 19-01-2010 10:09 AM

Check again. I see it now. I don't think someone moved it though, so maybe you didn't check well enough :mhh:

spain 15-03-2010 08:48 PM

Troops

Does anyone know how to increase the amount of troops you have?
I still don't know how to do that.

Fubb 16-06-2010 03:38 AM

Helpful guide;

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/583416-sh...ent/faqs/58316

Pinsel 26-07-2010 11:00 AM

It would have been a great game if it didn't have that "quality of life" bug (Cyber Judas has that same bug) and an even greater game if you could play other countries like China or Russia.
Ah well, maybe somebody will mod someday it and fix it.

Cycieties 01-08-2010 10:10 PM

I'd mod it if I had the tools.

vassago77379 17-08-2010 02:56 AM

Am I missing Something?

I see allot of people in here questioning how to play full out ballistic style without recourse from civil unrest... When I originally had this game I found it is easiest to in your first turn, change your government to if i remember correctly a military dictatorship, or like a monarchy, something to where your citizens could no longer influence your reign. From there I relegated all of my funds into the creation of 1) the world's most devastating nukes and 2) the world's most extreme badass soldiers... Just research the technologies til all of their equipment is absurdly huge... I was France and had 3,000 'Le Douche' soldiers that could wipe 50,000-100,000 normal soldiers out while barely losing anyone.

I also successfully took over every single country in the world until the game broke down on itself and basically melted down... it would not even load after that.

Spain 27-08-2010 08:24 PM

Shadow President

I was looking through the files for shadow president and I noticed a file that included a list of the ideolgys in the game. In the file, there were some goverment types that I have never seen. They are: Environment and Fascism. Has any one ever encountered these in the game?

Al-Ibrahim 30-08-2010 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spain (Post 412779)
I was looking through the files for shadow president and I noticed a file that included a list of the ideolgys in the game. In the file, there were some goverment types that I have never seen. They are: Environment and Fascism. Has any one ever encountered these in the game?

Maybe a hyper-militarized dictatorship can become Fascist, and I'd imagine Centralism is its more moderate brother. I don't know what "Environment" is meant to signify, though. Maybe it's not actually an ideology at all, and is just a tag to signify landmass in code language or something not meant to be seen by actual players.

cary123 30-08-2010 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vassago77379 (Post 411988)
I see allot of people in here questioning how to play full out ballistic style without recourse from civil unrest... When I originally had this game I found it is easiest to in your first turn, change your government to if i remember correctly a military dictatorship, or like a monarchy, something to where your citizens could no longer influence your reign. From there I relegated all of my funds into the creation of 1) the world's most devastating nukes and 2) the world's most extreme badass soldiers... Just research the technologies til all of their equipment is absurdly huge... I was France and had 3,000 'Le Douche' soldiers that could wipe 50,000-100,000 normal soldiers out while barely losing anyone.

I also successfully took over every single country in the world until the game broke down on itself and basically melted down... it would not even load after that.

How do you make your nation a dictatorship?

_r.u.s.s. 02-09-2010 04:35 PM

you play them twilight 24/7 on every tv station

Drep 07-12-2010 05:06 AM

So, I need some technical help with CyberJudas. I have an installation of the game, but I've tried it on three computers to no avail. I've tried it in DOSBox on two computers, and on a Windows 3.1 machine. I can run the installer from the CD fine, but anytime I run the actual exe, the game doesn't start. I get some text in the command prompt saying "CYBERJUDAS v1.0" and then the game doesn't start. I have also run the patch, but it doesn't do anything. Anyone else have these problems?

dosraider 07-12-2010 05:24 AM

http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?...=1516&letter=S
Quote:

Works perfectly when we put it at 5000 cycles with 63 memsize
[Edit]
Maybe I should add that I'm not the one confused here, after all this topic is about Shadow President, so I'm spot on, Drep is the confounded one. ... Just saying.
:p

Drep 10-12-2010 10:43 PM

I only chose CyberJudas because this thread seems to be the only place where I can find people talking about Shadow President, and it had a link to a download of CyberJudas too. I figure if there's anyone who has experience with CyberJudas, they would be here.

Al-Ibrahim 15-12-2010 06:37 AM

CyberJudas is semi-disappointing. It's a lot slower (IIRC only like 2 hours per second or something like that) and has some noticeable bugs, like Cuban trade being regulated rather than restricted—even though it was restricted in Shadow President, and the weird bug of the Ukraine having a whopping $1 GDP per capita. Then there's the fact that it's basically Shadow President 1.5 rather than a fullblown sequel. I have a feeling it was rushed.

The best thing is that the city view is a lot more useful, since you can click on the quadrants for statistics.

ryacku 20-01-2011 07:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

As president, your responsibility is to find peaceful alternatives to war, whether America is directly involved or not. However, there are times when you must decide to make a show of force in order to get the other countries to listen to you. If a power-hungry country threatens to invade a peaceful country, you can put pressure on the aggressors by establishing a military presence in the victim and neighboring countries. You can also dissuade the enemy country by cutting or eliminating trade, making it more difficult and expensive for the country to start a war. Just because the country declares war doesn't mean there will be bloodshed. You can file complaints with the UN, demand global sanctions against that country, and try to form a coalition to oppose them. You can even send the CIA to give arms to rebels in the country, initiate a coup d'etat to overthrow the government (hopefully a better one will replace it), or assassinate the leader. If all else fails, you'll have to fight. Hopefully, you can stop the country before it gains nuclear warhead capabilities and decides to try it out.
What? How do you form a coalition against a country? The most that nations have done when it comes to overseas deployments is do some bizzare build up with nonexistent troops.

I even attached some rather funny moments in Shadow President.

Moleman 18-03-2011 08:28 PM

I've been playing this game religiously for the last few days and a have a couple questions.

-How do you make a country allied with you enough to allow troops to be stationed in their country? This would be especially helpful for invading Libya since there are no nations surround that are willing to hold troops and the closest I can get is Israel if I go through Egypt or Tunisia if I go through Italy. Problem is the only way to invade Libya is to invade either Tunisia or Eqypt first which are friendly towards me. There's another way by going through both Morroco and Algeria via Spain so I'm not invading any friendly nations but I just think it would be so much easier if I could just get in good enough relations with Egypt or Tunisia. I've tried "improving diplomatic relations" and a few other positive actions dozens of times with each for months in game but the status never seems to change.

-How do I access Guam? If I'm in the Philippians or Papa New Guinea and I enter the war room I can see that I have 8,000 troops in Guam. Problem is I can't click on Guam and I've even looked it up on a map to make sure I'm at the right area. Even when I full screen the game on a 1920x1080 monitor It's still too small to click. There's got to be a way in there or else why include the troops as part of the game? I can only see a use if you wanted to invade the Philippians or Papa New Guinea for some reason.

That's all I got and thanks to those who have answered other people's questions, they've helped me out as well.

Cycieties 23-03-2011 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moleman (Post 424786)
I've been playing this game religiously for the last few days and a have a couple questions.

-How do you make a country allied with you enough to allow troops to be stationed in their country? This would be especially helpful for invading Libya since there are no nations surround that are willing to hold troops and the closest I can get is Israel if I go through Egypt or Tunisia if I go through Italy. Problem is the only way to invade Libya is to invade either Tunisia or Eqypt first which are friendly towards me. There's another way by going through both Morroco and Algeria via Spain so I'm not invading any friendly nations but I just think it would be so much easier if I could just get in good enough relations with Egypt or Tunisia. I've tried "improving diplomatic relations" and a few other positive actions dozens of times with each for months in game but the status never seems to change.

-How do I access Guam? If I'm in the Philippians or Papa New Guinea and I enter the war room I can see that I have 8,000 troops in Guam. Problem is I can't click on Guam and I've even looked it up on a map to make sure I'm at the right area. Even when I full screen the game on a 1920x1080 monitor It's still too small to click. There's got to be a way in there or else why include the troops as part of the game? I can only see a use if you wanted to invade the Philippians or Papa New Guinea for some reason.

That's all I got and thanks to those who have answered other people's questions, they've helped me out as well.

Instead of just doing diplomatic actions every month, you can spam-command it. You could also always invade or coup so that they will like you if they are an enemy ideology. Foreign aid helps a bit too.

Unfortunately I don't think anyone can get to Guam as I've tried all of the adjacent nations...even hundreds of miles away. It's just too freaking small.

Surgeon 31-03-2011 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drep (Post 418534)
So, I need some technical help with CyberJudas. I have an installation of the game, but I've tried it on three computers to no avail. I've tried it in DOSBox on two computers, and on a Windows 3.1 machine. I can run the installer from the CD fine, but anytime I run the actual exe, the game doesn't start. I get some text in the command prompt saying "CYBERJUDAS v1.0" and then the game doesn't start. I have also run the patch, but it doesn't do anything. Anyone else have these problems?

Yeah, I've got the same problem.

Putting it to 5000 cycles and 63 memsize, however, does not remove the problem.

desertranger16 21-04-2011 03:24 AM

Hope this helps...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cycieties (Post 424994)
Instead of just doing diplomatic actions every month, you can spam-command it. You could also always invade or coup so that they will like you if they are an enemy ideology. Foreign aid helps a bit too.

Unfortunately I don't think anyone can get to Guam as I've tried all of the adjacent nations...even hundreds of miles away. It's just too freaking small.

Excellent, something I can help with! :D I started playing Shadow President back in '94, got it in a bulk pack of games at Wal-Mart I think, and it's always been one of my favorites. Anyway, at any point in the game you can hit / (or ?) and it will bring up a box that has all countries alphabetically available for selection. To find Guam you would-
1. Press /
2. Press G (this will bring up Gabon)
3. Press the down key until you come across Guam
4. Hit enter, selecting Guam
5. Profit

If you have any other questions about Shadow President, I can probably answer them, just give me a shout.

forgot my UN 31-07-2011 04:29 PM

for some reason i cant get SP to work in dosbox, i got it to work once or twice on xp but i dont know how (i know i used dosbox) i downloaded form hotud.org but when i load it the mouse click doesnt register i can press esc to skip the tutorial and move the mouse but clicking the mouse does nothing, any1 know whats wrong?

Cycieties (not logged in) 01-08-2011 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forgot my UN (Post 431749)
for some reason i cant get SP to work in dosbox, i got it to work once or twice on xp but i dont know how (i know i used dosbox) i downloaded form hotud.org but when i load it the mouse click doesnt register i can press esc to skip the tutorial and move the mouse but clicking the mouse does nothing, any1 know whats wrong?

I suggest redownloading from Abandonia since it's a far more reliable site and its dl may not have the problems in your download.

lonefox 09-09-2011 06:32 PM

does anyone know how to speed up time in this game. i seem several references to it but no instructions.
Any help?

Al-Ibrahim 18-09-2011 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonefox (Post 433670)
does anyone know how to speed up time in this game. i seem several references to it but no instructions.
Any help?

Just press number keys on the keyboard. 5 is for fastest.

Experiment632 18-12-2011 09:11 AM

Timeline for World War III

November 1990: (A)Soviet Union Condemns China (B)China Condemns USSR. (C): Soviet Union attempts to sabotage Chinese economy. (D) USA opens Diplomatic Channels with China and is allowed to deploy troops, staving off potential Sino-Soviet conflict that likely would have gone nuclear.

December 1990: (A)Chinese Communism proves over past month to be compatible with Western Capitalism. By the time negotiations are concluded, Chinese stats are; 1.0000 on police state, 1.0000 on ambition, 6.0000 on ethic, 6.0000 on peace, etc. (B)Statements of Condemnation from both China and United States cripples Soviet leadership ability to get anything done.

March 1991: United States blocks all trade with the Soviet Union.

April 14, 1991: World War III begins. I staged a four-pronged invasion of the Soviet Union from Norway, Turkey, China, and Japan. Norway and Iceland sent troops to assist. Sadly China remained neutral in conflict. Since the Soviet Union was no longer a member of the Soviet Union World Team Alliance thanks to the coup, North Korea and its nearly one million strong remained neutral in the conflict. My polls drop to 53%

April 25, 1991: Over half the Red Army is beaten. The Soviet Union refuses to surrender. My polls drop to 35%

May 4, 1991: Most of the Red Army is gone. Only 900,000 remain. My popularity is down to 25%. I demand the Soviet Union's surrender: They comply. My polls shoots up to 65% and doesn't drop again. The Soviet Union is occupied by the United States and ideology is set to Capitalism

Currently I have saved the game and am taking a break. Overall Plan for Soviet Union: (A)1.0000 on police state, 1.0000 on ambition, 6.0000 on ethic, 6.0000 on peace, Quality of Life at least 75%, etc. (B)Maintain an occupation force until no earlier then the start of 1992 when the Soviet Union's official stats should be officially reset to friendly. At that time they should be ready for a return to sovereignty.

Experiment632 18-12-2011 09:24 AM

Possible Bug?: My available troop level has reached zero. However I was still somehow able to place slightly over 2 million troops into multiple territories. The troop increase did slow after reaching zero available but still went up. I had an average of 1.5 million EACH in Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Israel, Norway, Japan, South Korea, and China. And the numbers still kept going up.

Also what is up with Chinese Communism being compatible with Western Capitalism unlike Communism elsewhere? Could it have something to do with the fact they are part of the Soviet Union World Team Alliance?

Also... is it possible to edit the game so the United States is communist and part of the Soviet Union World Team Alliance?

Experiment632 26-12-2011 04:25 PM

Conflict list in my current game, as well as post-war popularity polls.

Cuban War July-August 1990: Cuban Defeat Polls up to 60%

World War III March 24-May 2 1991: Soviet Defeat Polls up to 70%

2nd Korean War May 7-May 9 1991: N. Korea Defeat Polls up to 78% (N. Korea already lost 80% of its military during WWIII so US reinforcements weren't needed in S. Korea. S. Korea as the larger force took control of the north)

Operation Desert Storm: June 13, 1991: Iraq beaten Polls up to 99%.

experiment 632 17-01-2012 03:00 AM

Nationalist Cold War?

Well this is something totally new to me. The United States World Team Alliance is THE only WTA in existence right now so 1993 will be a pretty quiet year with the US more powerful then OTL. With Communism pretty much destroyed in World War Three, it seems Nationalists are considered to be at odds with Capitalists. I am thinking a possible new Cold War with USA Versus India once India upgrades to Super Power status.

India has been increasing militarily and at anytime they could start constructing nuclear weapons. Have you reached a point in the game in which India starts building it nuclear arsenal?

Anticipated India WTA membership:
India, Bangladesh, Papua New Guinea, Argentina, Brazil, Mexico, Guatemala, Algeria, Poland, Czechoslovakia, and a few other countries.

In order to prevent a possible threat Indian Threat close to American soil, I decided to take preemptive action by toppling the Nationalist Government in Mexico. First I killed Mexican nuclear spending with a surgical strike followed by a ground invasion which last 12 days before Mexico surrendered. My polls dropped from 75% to 52% during the invasion. After the US Marines marched a second time through the Halls of Montezuma, my polls shot up to 77% then went to 78%.

Experiment632 22-01-2012 04:16 AM

Alternate Persian Gulf Wars

1: OTL--You know the story. Iraq takes Kuwait, US slowly builds up, US attacks Iraq between February-April 1991

2: US-Iraq Alliance--Assist Saddam in his conquests. Sadly polls drops from 52% to -48% with very swift impeachment the same day as Kuwaiti defeat. Guess that was deliberately hardcoded into the game.

3: Defense of Kuwait--Immediately assist Kuwait by sending in troops. I made two attempts. One my polls dropped too far down in only a few days, the other time my polls held for a month before dropping. Maybe I should have started building up in both Saudi Arabia AND Kuwait from the very start.

4: Nuclear Response--The moment Saddam invades Kuwait, I respond with nuclear weapons. My polls fall a good deal but not near low enough for impeachment on the spot. However France or China are likely to nuke me as well, earning a nuclear strike from the UK. I am dead or impeached by mid-August.

5: Neutral At First--I plan to just pull my forces out of the Middle East and let Saddam conquer the Middle East, minus Israel hopefully. About all I will do is make sure my CIA spending there is high. After Iraq has become powerful, I finally get involved by sponsoring a coup to overthrow Saddam, which should result in every state under Iraqi control becoming Capitalist as well. Might be fun having "Super" Iraq on the United States World Team Alliance. This is the only scenario listed that I have not yet tried.

str4ng3r 15-07-2012 07:33 PM

Waaazzzuupppp...

I re-found this game and i'm having a blast. :lol:

However when today i tried to launch a surgical strike against a rogue country, the game crashed!

I downloaded it from abandonia and i'm running dosbox 0.74 for ubuntu (although i'm running the Mint 12 distribution).

Do any of you know how to correct this problem?

Cheers... and... let's get back to the memory lane, and do everything to not issue a surgical strike. :3:

Experiment632 27-07-2012 01:36 AM

Okay, I have decided to place some of the progress of my latest game. The Year is 1995. The Soviet Union still exists and is still Communist. The U.S. decided not to stop Iraq from conquering half the Middle East. However after Iraq had taken Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, & Jordan, the U.S. sponsored a successful Coup 'd Etat in Iraq and its holdings. Iraq became Capitalist and was allowed to keep its gains. With U.S. help, Iraq took over Iran. In 1993, a shakeup in the Soviet Union caused them to temporarily abandon their own World Team Alliance despite still being communist. Taking advantage of this, the U.S. and South Korea invaded North Korea. The Second Korean War lasted about three weeks after which the North surrendered. Due to having more troops in the invasion, South Korea took control of North Korea. In 1994, several nations in Africa became Capitalist though rebel takeovers and wars.

Countdown To World War III: In June 1994, the Soviet Union attempted once again took political action again Japan and successfully sabotaged their economic assets. After determining it was virtually impossible to use covert espionage and due to the USSR's persistent action against Japan for the past 4 years, the U.S. decided to take military action by launching several surgical strikes against the Soviets. Miraculously, the only major Soviet response was a single surgical strike against the U.S. which failed. Nuclear war was averted however Soviet aggression increased. They committed more covert ops for the rest of the year against nations such as France, Japan, Eygpt, South Korean-controlled NK, etc. They successfully launched a Coup 'd Etat in Tunisia in November '94. During January 1995, the Soviets launched a surgical strike against Israel, prompting a successful Israeli sabotage against them. The U.S. responded by placing a full trade embargo against the Soviet Union. The next few months, the U.S. increased their troop deployments in nations bordering the Soviet Union as well as nations bordering those nations. On May 1, 1995, a massive fleet of Soviet warships and full loaded amphibious assault craft are spotted in route to Japan. The Third World War was about to begin...

The Third World War: 1995
http://i.imgur.com/ig62Y.png
World War III continues, despite this U.S.A. Quality of Life is still at 100%
http://i.imgur.com/WI0rk.png
While Soviets can stack more troops to a territory, mine are more well trained
http://i.imgur.com/wCwIB.png
U.S. is clearly in the lead in regards to military power
http://i.imgur.com/VHKo1.png
I can see this conflict continuing into 1996--Unless someone decides to pop a nuke
http://i.imgur.com/1be7y.png
Soviet Invasion of Japan is entering its fifth month
http://i.imgur.com/7NNLS.png
Allied Attack on the Soviet Union continues
http://i.imgur.com/yNnZc.png
Despite not being Communist, Angola is at odds with the U.S. and has Soviet-backing
http://i.imgur.com/seXB3.png
Current WTA setup -- Clearly the enemy is virtually surrounded now
http://i.imgur.com/6Cb2G.png
Capitalism is definitely expanding while Communism & Centralism are declining
http://i.imgur.com/Dd82B.png
I am thinking this is now the largest deployment of U.S. troops since the Second World War
http://i.imgur.com/sKKnb.png
I am sure it is only a matter of time before the Soviets max out their deployments and attack U.S. interests

Allied Holdings
http://i.imgur.com/8lQE1.png
Iraq: Kuwait (1990), Saudi Arabia & Jordan (1991), & Iran (1992) Persian Gulf Crisis, U.S.-Sponsored Coup 'd Etat, & Second Iran-Iraq War
http://i.imgur.com/yCRTF.png
South Korea: North Korea (1993) Second Korean War
http://i.imgur.com/huL7o.png
Liberia: Ivory Coast (1994) Liberia-Ivory Coast War
http://i.imgur.com/kT8M5.png
Zaire: Congo (1994) Congo War
http://i.imgur.com/sUBHe.png
Libya: Chad, Niger, & Algeria (1994) Libyan Territorial Disputes
http://i.imgur.com/ngINO.png
Gabon: Equatorial Guinea (1995) Part of World War Three
http://i.imgur.com/pHEL5.png
Italy: Tunisia (1995) Part of World War Three
http://i.imgur.com/k2AUR.png
Greece: Bulgaria (1995) Part of World War Three

Negotiations & Coup 'd Etat
http://i.imgur.com/yeSf0.png
India is now on U.S.A. WTA for the rest of year -- Very useful setup against Soviet-backed China
http://i.imgur.com/f5m9j.png
Not much to look at but every additional soldier counts
http://i.imgur.com/EwB1C.png
Now a former Soviet ally is fighting for me! May help Ethiopia get back at Somalia for invading them in 1990

Active Combatants of World War Three--Could expand at anytime
U.S.A. WTA
United States, Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, Turkey, Poland, Czechoslovakia, Romania, Norway, Zaire, Libya, Italy, Greece, & Gabon
Soviet WTA & Soviet-backed
Soviet Union, Afghanistan, Bulgaria, Tunisia, Equatorial Guinea, & Angola (Also launched surgical strikes on China & Cuba)

U.S.A. Casualties: 183,918
Soviet Casualties: 899,910

conquer_everything 04-02-2013 12:49 AM

Popularity exploit

An easy way to get infinite approval is to go to any country that has US troops and is a staunch ally (britain, germany, italy, japan, etc). Enter the troop menu and repeatedly click the button to change the troop levels without altering the number of troops first; each time you do this, if the country accepts, it will raise your popularity a little (1% to 1/3% per click, less the higher your popularity is already). It even works if the troop level is 0, as long as the country accepts. I used this trick to conquer the entire world except a couple of countries I couldn't select, while maintaining 90%+ approval and altering the budget to get vast economic growth. The only feature I found that interferes with the exploit is if you mess with countries' foreign aid packages, then the exploit may stop working. Also beware of lowering social spending too much - it seems like the popularity level may get stuck at 0 if it goes too far below 0 from a single budget change. Dropping to 5% each year with successive cuts and then exploiting back up probably works, though I just stayed in a bunker whenever I unpaused the game to avoid being assassinated.

RidleyReport.com 21-02-2013 07:22 PM

This is a question about Cyber Judas rather than SP...

Can anyone tell me where to find an electronic copy of the manual? More specifically I want to know how to grant most favored nation trading status to a country? Right now the only way I see to do it is if one your advisors recomends it. But I seem to remember being able to do it manually or something back when I played this in the 90s....

Even just a list of controls would help. I did find C for controlling clock and / for changing country. F3 or F2 gives yes/noadvice from advisor...but how do I tell WHAT they are advising me for/against?

Experiment632 19-03-2013 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conquer_everything (Post 449226)
An easy way to get infinite approval is to go to any country that has US troops and is a staunch ally (britain, germany, italy, japan, etc). Enter the troop menu and repeatedly click the button to change the troop levels without altering the number of troops first; each time you do this, if the country accepts, it will raise your popularity a little (1% to 1/3% per click, less the higher your popularity is already). It even works if the troop level is 0, as long as the country accepts. I used this trick to conquer the entire world except a couple of countries I couldn't select, while maintaining 90%+ approval and altering the budget to get vast economic growth. The only feature I found that interferes with the exploit is if you mess with countries' foreign aid packages, then the exploit may stop working. Also beware of lowering social spending too much - it seems like the popularity level may get stuck at 0 if it goes too far below 0 from a single budget change. Dropping to 5% each year with successive cuts and then exploiting back up probably works, though I just stayed in a bunker whenever I unpaused the game to avoid being assassinated.

I use this very same feature myself with freezing the timer and using the troop deployment feature--very useful during a world war. Me, I prefer to use this feature in Puerto Rico or other US controlled country to prevent from getting spammed with lots of Diplomatic talks. Also US ethic rating does have an impact on the effect of raising popularity.
5.0-6.0: Once you feel you made enough troop deployment requests, starting up the timer will move the popularity up.
4.0-4.9: The poll level raises instantly when deployment request is made, even while the timer is frozen.
3.0-3.9: Troop deployment requests have no effect on the polls.
1.0-2.9: Polls DROP with each deployment request!
Note: If polls are at zero percent, don't bother with deployments as they will have no effect in this case.
As for conquering countries you can't select, that's easy. Just hit the "?" key and scroll down on the ingame pop-up to the country you want.

heisant 19-03-2013 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al-Ibrahim (Post 434091)
Just press number keys on the keyboard. 5 is for fastest.

Didn't work in my version.

tinosotochgo 24-11-2013 05:04 AM

Where can i download?

Will one of you guys help me get a copy of this game?? I played this game for years and years until my pc crapped out on me and i lost my copy of the cd. I love this game and wish somebody would make a app for android with this game. I gladly pay for someone to send me a copy. only question??? will this run on windows 8??

The Fifth Horseman 24-11-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinosotochgo (Post 458274)
Will one of you guys help me get a copy of this game??

You can download it from Abandonia right there: http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/579
Is there a problem with the download?
Quote:

only question??? will this run on windows 8??
No. It will, however, run in DOSBox and DOSBox will run in Windows 8.

toybasher 19-07-2014 12:12 AM

On cyberjudas gambit, how do you deal with those constant "NEWSWIRE says white house is compromised, details sketchy" etc messages. (some are differently worded and have bigger effect) They sap my approval rating and kill my leadership score, making me get impeached less then a month into my first term! The longest I've lasted is January 18th before being thrown out. Since all my stats drop I can't even get it back up because everybody hates me.

They often pop up several times in a row, making the effect even more traumatic!

How do I stop the press from getting at me? I wish I could assassinate my press secretary (You actually CAN assassinate cabinet members via the menu) but sadly there is no such secretary like there was in shadow president.

I've tried using certain crisis options when I find the unauthorized events like restrict press access or deny authorization but I still get a torrent of "DATA suggests the cabinet breach is bigger then first imagined" messages. Each one takes like 15 percent off of my approval rating and as I said I can get several in a row, leading to immediate impeachment. Even if I had the evidence to convict (Not relevant since I get my butt thrown out immediately before I can gather much.) since my approval rating is so low the charges wouldn't stick.

Please, help!

EDIT: I found out what was happening. If you intrude into the advisor's rooms, do NOT try to randomly guess the computer passwords. I was thinking you could just guess. Every time you get it wrong you're locked out of the session and it triggers the "Cabinet security issues" announcements with the popularity drop. Do NOT randomly hit the passwords. I remembered a few of them and noticed I lasted a full month without seeing a single one of those announcements.

So to put it simply, randomly pressing buttons hoping for the best WILL get you impeached very, VERY quickly, so don't do it!

DaveTheMan 08-01-2021 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRealShadowPresident (Post 129140)
Quote list for anyone interested...

Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4

Now, somebody needs to whip up a single downloadable text file while I sleep... :whistle:

Links no longer work.

Where else can I find the Codes?

Smiling Spectre 10-01-2021 06:31 PM

You can get the manual here, for example.

DaveTheMan 30-01-2021 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre (Post 485597)
You can get the manual here, for example.

Sorry for Late Reply but Thank you very much for the Link

The current time is 12:26 AM (GMT)