Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   No Voices, Text Unreadably Fast In Gabriel Knight: Sotf (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=16028)

feminista 05-11-2007 06:08 AM

This is a game I've been wanting to play forever, and I finally got it all installed and running under DOSBox, and the game speed in general is great, but the text only remains onscreen for a fraction of a second, and there are no voiceovers, despite the "voice" option being on. I've tried cranking down the CPU cycles as low as possible (at 50% it's a tiny bit slower but still not readable, at 5% other things in the game start to mess up), and changing the in-game text speed option does pretty much nothing.

It's the CD version, but I'm running it on linux, so DOSBox is my only option without having a windows 98 disc on hand.

Any ideas?

Guest 05-11-2007 08:35 AM

I've got the CD version myself, and ran it in DOSBox recently without problems. (5th Horseman speaking, BTW)
Here's a couple ideas:

1. Core=Normal; cycles=12000; cycleup=1000; cycledown=1000
More control over emulator speed.
2. Scaler=hq2x; fullscreen=true; fullresolution=1024x768
Will add some extra load to your CPU, while making the game a little prettier.
3. Run game's setup program and configure the soundcard correctly.
If the sound is not set up right, you may experience problems.

feminista 05-11-2007 09:03 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Nov 5 2007, 09:35 AM) [snapback]318283[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

I've got the CD version myself, and ran it in DOSBox recently without problems. (5th Horseman speaking, BTW)
Here's a couple ideas:

1. Core=Normal; cycles=12000; cycleup=1000; cycledown=1000
More control over emulator speed.
2. Scaler=hq2x; fullscreen=true; fullresolution=1024x768
Will add some extra load to your CPU, while making the game a little prettier.
3. Run game's setup program and configure the soundcard correctly.
If the sound is not set up right, you may experience problems.
[/b]

Well, that did make it prettier, but it's nowhere near solving the problem. Like I said, music is fine, game speed is fine, interaction is fine, it's just that the text won't stay on screen and there are no voices. I have DOSBox set to emulate a Soundblaster Pro, and the game settings the same, IRQ/DMA is right, alsa is talking to my virtual midi device. I can't think of anything else to change.

Data 05-11-2007 10:52 AM

you mounted your cdrom correctly ?

e.g mount d /cdrom -t cdrom -usecd 0
?

Unknown 17-11-2012 08:03 AM

The solution that worked for me:

imgmount d: c:/(installation path)/GK1.gog -t iso

Eagle of Fire 17-11-2012 08:44 AM

Thank you. I'm sure that those guys from 5 years ago will appreciate your input... :unsure:

Unknown 17-11-2012 11:22 AM

I guess not, but some others might.

Eagle of Fire 18-11-2012 12:20 AM

I doubt it since

1) Good Old Games didn't even exist back then

2) Dosbox version changed so often since then that it's not even the same thing anymore.

SsjCosty 05-02-2017 10:11 PM

5 more years in the future

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire (Post 447425)
I doubt it since

1) Good Old Games didn't even exist back then

2) Dosbox version changed so often since then that it's not even the same thing anymore.

Writing from 5 years more in the future! That input actually helped me, as I was trying to not use my own version of DosBox instead of GOG's, because I'm trying to streamline my experience of playing old video games all from the LaunchBox interface.

I hadn't accounted for that GK1.gog file and couldn't understand why GOG's inbuilt DropBox worked while mine didn't!

Waiting for someone else to post in 5 more years!

The current time is 12:49 AM (GMT)