Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Abandoned Times (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Feedback: Please let us know what you think of our magazine! (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=19795)

red_avatar 13-05-2009 03:06 PM

The title says it all: please spill your guts. What needs improvement, what is missing, what should be left out?

Also, make sure to rate our magazine (starting with issue 1) using the poll.

The first issue is just a small taste of the next issues, however, so we're well aware that it's too short ;). Expect the next issue to contain 4-5 times as much easily.

http://www.abandonia.com/en/node/25024

dosraider 13-05-2009 05:32 PM

Nice and well done.
Congrats -(again)-.
:)

Simoneer 13-05-2009 06:08 PM

Nice, but... those quotes in the articles felt so... out of place. Shouldn't you quote some sort of deep lines instead of a line explaining a certain game mechanic? I mean... it just feels wrong. I thought quotes in magazines like that was for memorable lines in the articles. Great work, still!

Too bad I wasn't able to (or perhaps was just too lazy to) contribute with an article. I'll do my best to write something for the next issue.

Capo 13-05-2009 06:18 PM

Just...wow!

Keep on the good work!

leebigh 13-05-2009 06:56 PM

Great work, guys !!! :clap:
I gave you only 4 points because the magazine is too short for me.
I think that next issue will have 5 stars !!!
Thank you for first abandonware magazine on the market :)

The Fifth Horseman 13-05-2009 07:00 PM

It's good. The "Consolitis" article had me chortling like a sadistic hyena. :D

Now let's start typing at the 2nd one, shall we? :spyder:

aarne 13-05-2009 07:09 PM

This is niiice ;)
I'll checkif I have enough time to write something myself, if i have then i'll send txt file to TFH

Xhumed 13-05-2009 09:25 PM

Excellent first attempt and it has (at least for me) achieved one of it's objectives by encouraging me to have a go at playing the likes of Mechwarriors and Fallout as for years I have played mainly point and click adventure games and read about them in the "Adventure Lantern" reviews.

It's clear a lot of work has gone into putting the magazine together like the watermark images embedded in some pages (not sure if that is the correct term?) and the clean, clear layout with box outs and a colour scheme that matches the website, nothing jumps out and hits you like it shouldn't be there so if it looks right it usually is.

It's refreshing to read an honest review about older games rather than the stereotypical "It's old, needs DOS, low resolution and it's 2D" therefore it's not worth playing attitude, only the smallest of very small points I would say is as the magazine gets bigger maybe have the download as a zip file as well as a pdf.

Conclusion. A very solid first issue, well put together with informative reviews by people that obviously know what they are talking about and are passionate about older games, bring on the next issue. :clap:

Havell 13-05-2009 10:44 PM

Well done guys, I really enjoyed the magazine. The chance to focus on particular games, and highlight them beyond what is possible on the main site (mainly thinking of Dreamweb here, I love that game).

Just a couple of technical points though; the page numbering was one step ahead of the page numbers given in the contents page due to the cover being page one. In a magazine that's intended for a web release, to be read mainly in .pdf format, it'd be a nice thing to have them in step with each other (ie, count the cover as page one in the contents). Also, it'd be cool to have clickable links to the appropriate games along with the reviews, again, it's something that can be done in a web-based magazine.

Have some further kudos on the magazine though, I really did enjoy it.

AlumiuN 13-05-2009 11:02 PM

Just having a cursory look, this looks very impressive. Poor Commander Keen. :D I look forward to reading the rest later. :)

The current time is 05:56 AM (GMT)