Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Gaming Zone (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Half Life (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=8345)

DonCorleone 08-12-2005 10:22 AM

I bought Half Life from ebay last week. And finally it came today via mail.
Donīt know why...maybe itīs dumb...but I registered HalfLife and Counterstrike (which I own, too) by using STEAM. Since the code from HalfLife is still in use (who wonders?) I put the counterstrike-code into the registration form. Well, I hadnīt the games installed, yet. But now STEAM seems to be downloading them. Or what do you think it is doing? I really donīt know why they are still selling cds if you only need the code to get the game via internet.
Of course there are a lot of people that arenīt able to make use of the internet, I know.
But what sense does it make, that Steam installs the games although I own them on cd and probably could install them much faster then STEAM can? :blink:

And in addition: I can play HalfLife although it isnīt installed nor STEAM is ready with downloading...

efthimios 08-12-2005 10:43 AM

Are you talking about half life or half life 2?

DonCorleone 08-12-2005 10:52 AM

HalfLife the first :bye: Thought I should have played the first volume before playing the second...

efthimios 08-12-2005 11:17 AM

Why would the first Half Life even try to connect to STEAM? STEAM did not even exist when Half Life was released.

Quintopotere 08-12-2005 11:36 AM

I played the first Half Life just without the internet connection... :blink: You're making some confusion, DonCorleone...

You have just to put the CD into the drive, install and play it!

Rogue 08-12-2005 11:51 AM

Steam is there because of Counterstrike.

Uninstall first both, reboot your computer and install Half Life first (also update it). Then install Counterstrike.

Should work. :blink:

DonCorleone 08-12-2005 12:46 PM

Well, it works fine. Thatīs not the problem. I just wanted to register both programs via steam. Therefore I put the key in the form and steam asked me to choose MY programs. So I chose HalfLife1 and Counterstrike. Probably I could have chosen BlueShift, Opposing Force etc. as well. I was just wondering why it downloaded both programs after that.
Now, they are on the machine. Hope that wonīt do any harm to my bank.account...

The Niles 08-12-2005 01:37 PM

This clearly belongs in troubleshooting.

Troubleshooting = Problem with games not running.
Technical Stuff = Problems with or questions about other kinds of software or technical matters.

gregor 08-12-2005 01:45 PM

if i may....

STEAM loads new version of Counterstrike.

Steam did start to exist before HL2 came out, and replaced WON on HL. It's a stupid, stupid system, because instantly you had to have internet connection to play Counterstrike (CS) (before you could use some quite good bots and play it only over LAN).

HL also had a few good mods. The opposing force has failed my expectations (because it was realyl not form soldiers view), while blue shift was quite descent.

A very good mod is Day of defeat (capture the flag in WW 2 theme) who also lost a lot when they made a new version. Because it had a very good bot made, but when new version came out bot didnt' work anymore.

Another one worth mentioning is SvenCoop where you play HL story in cooperative mode. You can do it with people form all over the world. In team or pair - it's fun.

I have WON codes, but i never tried to register them on STEAM. why? because i didnt' need to and because at that time i had only 56k connection. i found it stupid, becaus someone could have already taken them.

Eagle of Fire 08-12-2005 04:29 PM

Moved since this have absolutly nothing to do with troubleshooting.

The current time is 07:45 PM (GMT)