Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Gaming Zone (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Which is the best Quest for Glory? Finished! (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=28282)

DarthHelmet86 15-01-2012 07:25 AM

Which is the best Quest for Glory? Finished!

So which is your favourite, which is the best of these games to you? Or do you not like any of them? Don't just vote in the poll give us a post telling us why as well.

This poll will be up for seven days then I will end it, if you are a guest become a member of the site and vote and post as well.

Edit: My favourite is the original EGA version of QFG1 it is just about the best game I have ever played. And I still whip it out when ever I feel that I need some good classic gaming. But all of the games besides 5 and some of the fan games rank very high in my favourite games list.

Frodo 15-01-2012 08:30 AM

It's a close call between Part 1 VGA, and Part 4 Shadows of Darkness for me. Love both games! :3:

But voted for Part 4, cos I have a thing for vampires and werewolves :D

Lulu_Jane 15-01-2012 08:39 AM

I really love 3, I've replayed that sooooo many times it's a bit mental.

But I also really enjoyed 5, although I may be the only person in the world. It felt a bit separate to the previous games, and more of a love letter to the series in general. I thought it was a nice way to end the series.

Also, we should have another poll titled, "how angry on a scale of one to ten did that horrific alley navigation system make you in QF2?" ;)

Frodo 15-01-2012 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lulu_Jane (Post 438455)
Also, we should have another poll titled, "how angry on a scale of one to ten did that horrific alley navigation system make you in QF2?" ;)

You ever tried the AGD remake for that? They improved the alley navigation no end! :OK:

DarthHelmet86 15-01-2012 09:00 AM

Maybe it is just because I used the map and have a good sense of direction and how to read a map from different angles but I never had trouble with the alley system at all. I know I am one of few people, so maybe it is just a bit of luck.

Lulu_Jane 15-01-2012 09:40 AM

Possibly, or you could be demon spawn.

WHICH IS IT DARTH, WHICH IS IT?

DarthHelmet86 15-01-2012 10:09 AM

Could it be both? I think it might be both.

netwarrior 15-01-2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frodo (Post 438454)
It's a close call between Part 1 VGA, and Part 4 Shadows of Darkness for me. Love both games! :3:

But voted for Part 4, cos I have a thing for vampires and werewolves :D

Same to me. But I've picked QfG1 VGA because you had there several quest to become a hero that weren't linked to each other.
Also you had different areas, like woods, mountains and ice-world.

What I also liked was the QfG2 and the fan remake.

CaitSith 15-01-2012 11:07 AM

Got to be QFG 4 for me, the darker setting is a nice change from the previous 3 games, and it has some of my favourite artwork as well :D

Banjo 15-01-2012 12:40 PM

I'd definitely say QFG1 EGA (original). Probably one of my fave games ever, one of the most innovative Sierra ever did, and just wonderfully open and immersive. The sequels and remake were great (though I was never very keen on 3 and didn't finish 4 until a few years ago due to bugs) but nothing ever quite recaptured that first game experience for me. I love that the whole series actually feels 'complete' to a degree, though, with 5 being an actual 'ending' rather than just another game like most series.

Lulu_Jane 15-01-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frodo (Post 438457)
You ever tried the AGD remake for that? They improved the alley navigation no end! :OK:

I did actually, and was impressed. I'm a big AGD fan, I don't think they've made a bad remake yet :)

Panthro 15-01-2012 01:16 PM

Shadows of Darkness!

In spite of it being a buggy mess when first released, it had loads of great horror references and some really fantastic characters. The voice-acting in the CD-ROM version is also very good, and I think it's in the ISO cellar so everyone should go and play it RIGHT NOW. Also, read my review! (actually, maybe don't, I'm not sure how good the writing of the review was, it was a long time ago).

So for me it goes: QfG4, 1(EGA), 2, 3, 1(VGA) and a very distant last... 5.

Really don't like qfg5, can't bring myself to play it for very long at all (never finished it, unlike all the others).

damien_wynd 15-01-2012 02:11 PM

I prefer the 2nd game, because I love the all 1001 nights ambience and the storyline. Although it's a bit linear and almost impossible to navigate without a map.

Capo 15-01-2012 04:48 PM

Trial by Fire without any doubt, the others look like crap in comparison.

russianwanja 15-01-2012 08:43 PM

"Shadows of Darkness" -as it has most interesting setting and story of all.

SorEddie 15-01-2012 09:26 PM

I know I'm definitely in the minority here, but I voted for Dragon Fire. I love the soundtrack (best in the whole QFG series I think), and I love how it functioned as both a love-letter to QFG fans and a proper ending to the series. Great stuff. The more enhanced focus on combat never really bothered me, because as a thief I wasn't getting in fights anyway :D

biottigiovanni 15-01-2012 10:17 PM

I have a special bond with Quest for glory 1 (ega)
That was the first game for pc that my father bought me many years ago.
It was awesome and colorful for the time.

Also quest for glory 4 is absolutely wonderful.

DarthHelmet86 16-01-2012 10:07 AM

This is going great guys, up to 40 votes but don't stop here. Keep going, keep telling us about your favourite best Quest for Glory game or why you don't like them.

quaden 16-01-2012 10:34 AM

This is my all time favorite series. Ever since I was eight years old and saw my friend's dad playing the original EGA version of "So you Want to be a Hero" I've been hooked. My favorite is between Part 1 and Part 4. I have to go with Shadows of Darkness even though Hero was my first love. The storyline was so much deeper in Shadows that it really sucked you in. Part five was a horrible steaming pile. It especially made me mad that in part 5 the character's choices within the game were so constrained, especially to who you could marry.

damien_wynd 16-01-2012 11:48 AM

I like part 1, although I prefer the vga version because I'm not a big fan of the text parser (yes, I know QFG2 has a text parser, but the game is so great that I forgive that).
QFG2 remake by AGD Interactive is great, but they don't have the game clock config (where you can choose the speed the days last).
QFG3 looks a bit small, probably because it wasn't planned to be. The Coles said that part 2 was planned to jump to part 4, but they thought that the hero wasn't ready yet to face the Shadows of Darkness, so they made Part 3 in a hurry.
Part 4 is great with all his horror ambience, but the bugs at the time were awful.
And I still have to play part 5.

Dewfire 16-01-2012 02:27 PM

QFG 1 EGA, of course the copy I have is the Original Original Hero's Quest before they had to change the name!

Countless hours playing that game killing goblins and brigands.

Fleabass666 16-01-2012 04:30 PM

Part I VGA, no contest.

I mean... the one that started it all, revamped as a point-and-click game with improved graphics and sound.

Next poll please! :D

twillight 16-01-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fleabass666 (Post 438512)
Part I VGA, non contest.

Yep. No timelimit wins all.

Maxor127 17-01-2012 02:06 AM

I think QFG1 is the most well-rounded game, but I can't choose between EGA and VGA, so I'll say QFG4. I don't like the combat system in it, but everything else was excellent. I'd like Dragon Fire a lot more if it weren't for the combat, too.

ttarp 17-01-2012 05:54 AM

QFGI EGA, I like the fighting style best in QFGII, but I like the setting in Spielburg better. I still haven't warmed up to the point and clicks though.

Lulu_Jane 17-01-2012 06:06 AM

This is just a friendly reminder that if you've not played any of the series installments, we have 1-4 available on site for you, ready to go :)

Quest for Glory - So you want to be a Hero EGA

Hints, tips and discussion thread

Quest for Glory - So You Want To Be A Hero VGA

Quest for Glory III - Wages of War

Quest for Glory IV - Shadows of Darkness

So now is the perfect time to get to Shapeir or battle some vampires if you haven't already! :D

Abandon SKB 17-01-2012 06:19 PM

First time poster here.

They are all great games so it is a tough choice. Hero's Quest wins because of the heavy dose of nostalgia I get seeing those EGA graphics along with using the text parser and the countless amounts of hours playing it. Not an important point but the box art on Hero's Quest is so much better than Quest for Glory!

Somewhere around twenty 5 1/4" floppy disks were swapped between a low density dual-drive IBM AT setup. Please insert disk 18. Please insert disk 17. Next screen, move the character north. Please insert disk 14. Please insert disk 3. Please insert disk 14. Next screen. But you dealt with it! The day that IBM PS/2 Model 30 286 with a big 20MB hard drive came into the household was a great day indeed.

Abandon SKB

e_hal 17-01-2012 07:31 PM

Quest for Glory has been my favorite series throughout all the games i have played so far. They had everything. Adventuring, RPG elements, smart puzzles, a storyline and especially the importing of your hero to the next part of the series really made you go and play the previous game with ALL the hero types and maximizing the stats, just so you had an slightly advantage with the new game.

I distinctly remember the time i had made in QfG I EGA a super thief (with fighter and magic elements) and then my frustration as the QfG 2 recognized him as a mage!

However i have to say that QfG 3 was my all time favorite. First QfG without a parser. Fantastic graphics (for the time), exceptional storyline, nice riddles. I really enjoyed it.

Row of preference: 3 - 2 - 1 - 4 - 5.

4 was buggy at best and 5 was not too QfG equivalent! :(

I think i still have somewhere the CD that was published with all the QfG without 5.

Love QfG!

Quilla 21-01-2012 10:31 PM

It's a close shave, but QFG1, VGA has gotta be my top favorite. It was my first taste of the QFG series, even though QFG3 was the first one I actually got to play through. So You Want To Be A Hero? had many little quests that eventually brought everything together in the end and I really enjoyed that. I also have a fondness for beginnings in stories...

QFG4, however, WAS simply amazing--the dark and serious and sometimes even deeply emotional tones in that storyline were simply amazing, while at the same time it kept its trademark humor with many silly or witty moments. In the end, though, it's bugginess was it's ruin, and I have to place QFG1 at the top.

DarthHelmet86 22-01-2012 03:15 AM

A few hours are left, anyone who wants to get their vote in better hurry. Soon we will name what you think is the best Quest For Glory and start a new Poll.

The current time is 02:27 PM (GMT)