Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Blah, blah, blah... (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   What's Your Music? (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=1625)

N17R0 23-12-2004 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by FreeFreddy+Dec 22 2004, 03:46 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FreeFreddy @ Dec 22 2004, 03:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-N17R0@Dec 22 2004, 07:45 PM
I also have a music library on my pc which currently consists of 12600 songs.
And you know each of the 12600 songs for itself? :whistle: [/b][/quote]
You'd be surprised how much I actually know by heart. :D
Oh, and if you're getting into trance, I can give you some good recommendations. The trance that stands out in my mind most of the time is the stuff that really gets emotional in the melody. Like Soul Cry by DJ Tatana and The Mystery. That one is just phenomenal once it gets into the song. Then there's some of the trippier stuff that I like too. The songs off Infected Mushroom's cd I'm The Supervisor are just WILD. :Brain:

Koen 23-12-2004 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by wormpaul@Dec 8 2004, 10:52 AM
Van Dik hout (damm..it's dutch...you wont understand it* )

Now that's good music! :P What about blof and Marco Borsato? :D

I like dance, trance, especially from the 90's, but I'm also beginning to like new rock more and more. Hoobastank - The Reason, Keane - Bedshaped and Maroon 5 - Sunday Morning! It's aaaaaaallll IIIIIIIII neeeeed! :P

edlglide 23-12-2004 09:00 AM

To be really accurate, there is no such thing as punk now (in popular music, at least). Punk was a type of music that was only around for a few years during the 70s and early 80s, then it turned into New Wave. But then New Wave merged with mainstream rock and bands like U2 which were originally considered New Wave were really indistinguishable from mainstream rock bands. Then alternative came around, and those genres all merged together to create what is called rock now. But it's as different from 1970s rock as 1970s rock is from 1950s rock.

(I just finished taking a class on the history of rock music, so I know quite a bit about this stuff now)

Omuletzu 23-12-2004 09:08 AM

Metallica, Guns, a little Manson and hip hop

FreeFreddy 23-12-2004 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by N17R0@Dec 23 2004, 07:58 AM
Oh, and if you're getting into trance, I can give you some good recommendations. The trance that stands out in my mind most of the time is the stuff that really gets emotional in the melody. Like Soul Cry by DJ Tatana and The Mystery. That one is just phenomenal once it gets into the song. Then there's some of the trippier stuff that I like too. The songs off Infected Mushroom's cd I'm The Supervisor are just WILD. :Brain:
Yeah, thank you! This one is awesome. :D
Btw., do you have in your collection songs from Frontline Assembly? Very many songs from them are cool, but this is not Trance anymore, but Industrial and EBM. I can only recommend this group if you don't have them. :ok:

Rogue 23-12-2004 01:31 PM

Everything except American country and EX-YU Folk (or so called NOVOKOMPONOVANA MUZIKA).

N17R0 23-12-2004 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by FreeFreddy@Dec 23 2004, 08:28 AM
Yeah, thank you! This one is awesome. :D
Btw., do you have in your collection songs from Frontline Assembly? Very many songs from them are cool, but this is not Trance anymore, but Industrial and EBM. I can only recommend this group if you don't have them. :ok:

48 songs by Front Line Assembly. I have UK version of Corroded Disorder, Epitaph, Hard Wired, Millenium, and a few other various tracks.
Oh, I just remembered, if you want an interesting genre in the electronic branch to listen to, check out groups like VNV Nation, Apoptygma Berserk, and Seabound. They're all darkwave, and it is some REALLY good stuff (especially VNV Nation :ok: )

feminista 24-12-2004 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by edlglide@Dec 23 2004, 10:00 AM
To be really accurate, there is no such thing as punk now (in popular music, at least).* Punk was a type of music that was only around for a few years during the 70s and early 80s, then it turned into New Wave.
While that's partially true, it's an oversimplification. Punk developed into more genres than New Wave. Punk also split into hardcore and post-punk as well as new wave. New wave became more commercially acceptable, so it had the most effect on later "alternative" music. However, grunge developed independently of new wave, and grunge really defined modern mainstream rock. Hardcore kept on going strong and continued in the same direction, though at some point post-hardcore split off and went its own direction. Post-punk is important to mention, because many people consider it to be one of the most creative and rich musical movements in rock history.

Simply put, pure punk no longer exists, but many subgenres of it still do, so "punk" is often an appropriate adjective used as a blanket description. And let us not forget riot grrl, which was essentially a rebirth of punk, but with a feminist focus.

Plus, a difficulty arises when trying to limit punk to a few year spread (say, 1976-1982). That problem is thus: most of the recent music I listen to is not hardcore, grunge, post-punk, or new wave. Yet it cannot be described as being a subsidiary of any other genre but punk, so how is it not punk?

It's better to accept vague labels, and apply more specific ones when given the opportunity, rather than trying to eliminate vague labels all together. That said, saying that you listen to punk is rather en vogue as of now, so take people's claims of punkness with skepticism.

For more information, drift on over to rateyourmusic.com and search out the topic "is punk dead?"

edlglide 24-12-2004 08:13 AM

This is true; old musical styles never really disappear. Even 50s rockabilly still exists.

Also, grunge can be thought of as the real American version of punk -- not necessarily in musical style, but in spirit. Even though we had famous punk bands from the US, punk was really created in the UK. Although the Sex Pistols were more publicity stunt than band, the fact remains that teens in the UK during the 70s were the ones that really had something to revolt against, as the economic situation there was terrible.......far worse than that in the US.

Irregardless of all that, I'm not a big fan of punk. I'm more of a fan of late 60s and 70s stuff, including but not limited to the prog rock of bands like Yes and Genesis (and to a lesser extent Jethro Tull) that punk was partially rebelling against.

TheVoid 24-12-2004 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by edlglide@Dec 24 2004, 10:13 AM
I'm more of a fan of late 60s and 70s stuff, including but not limited to the prog rock of bands like Yes and Genesis (and to a lesser extent Jethro Tull)
High five on that, edlglide :ok:

The current time is 09:01 AM (GMT)