Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Tech Corner (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Routers and port forwarding (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=16674)

Tulac 16-02-2008 09:22 PM

Routers and port forwarding

Well I got two PC's and I use uTorrent 1.7.7 as a client on both.

I used port forwarding on my router to assure connectivity (in uTorrent) but the problem is that only the desktop PC is connectible and the laptop is not. I tried changing ports and IP adresses but nothing helps, also I tried turning off the firewall but nothing. :(

Rest of the internet works fine on both.

Anyone can help me out here?

_r.u.s.s. 16-02-2008 09:26 PM

since your nb has different mac, maybe you forgot to setup something in your rooter settings

Japo 19-02-2008 06:46 AM

If torrents work in one computer but not in other and both are under the same router, and even disabling the (router's?) firewall didn't help, I guess it's likely that the problem isn't with the router. Are both Windows machines, what firewall do you use in them?

Icewolf 19-02-2008 07:48 AM

WOW! You still have that problem?!

We already talked about that ... like ... eight months ago? :confused:

Japo has a point here:
Your router releases the IPs by DHCP, right? You tried to switch the ports and give manual IP adresses to check the connection.
If the problem stays with the laptop the prob has to be on the laptop.
Here's something:
There was this workstation in the domain at work and it would always refuse to keep up the Citrix-connection (ica-protocol).
Solution was replacing the facy ass onboard network card (with an integrated FW and loads of shitty stuff) with a usual network card.
Now, replacing the NW-card on a laptop is difficult... PCMCIA could be a solution...?

Hope this helps. :)

Japo 19-02-2008 08:56 AM

It may be a difficult problem or a simple one. Even if you're using only the Windows firewall, if it's set to "not allow exceptions" it will block all incoming requests. Exceptions must be allowed, and of course your torrent client (µTorrent) must be in the exceptions list.

Tulac 20-02-2008 12:39 PM

Yeah it's on the exceptions list and it isn't even turned on anyway.

BTW I also have a problem in LAN via that router. My desktop PC recognizes and can manipulate all the shared folders on the laptop but that isn't possible vice versa, it says access denied when I tried to do the same from laptop to desktop.

What bugs me is that I used that laptop on a another LAN and there it recognized and shared files normally. (didn't try internet there, it was a lan party)

Geezer 20-02-2008 12:57 PM

Edited: Stupid request.

Doesn't your port forwarding setup force all traffic over that port to one IP address? Mine does. Maybe I am missing something here.

Tulac 20-02-2008 01:07 PM

Nope I can forward different ports to different ip adresses. For example:

192.168.1.45 to port 56784
192.168.1.78 to port 48305

Geezer 20-02-2008 01:11 PM

Ok, I'm with you now. I thought you were trying to monitor the same port on two different PCs.

Obviously you have changed the configuration of each client to lock into the specific port that is being forwarded from the router. (turned off randomizing) Have you tried reversing the port listening configuration between the two machines? Did the problem stay on the laptop even under the other forwarded port configuration?

Are you using Norton on the laptop?

Icewolf 20-02-2008 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMB (Post 319571)
[...]Are you using Norton on the laptop?

That would explain a lot!!! :laugh:

If you are releasing a folder on your laptop, you have to allow the network-users access. Otherwise it won't work. Don't just release the folder, check the authorisations.

BTW are you using WIN XP home or professional?

The current time is 04:27 PM (GMT)