Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Dosbox (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=1702)

zbarilec 13-12-2004 01:06 PM

Hi. :bye: I'm new around here and alredy having problems. First is that I can't download DosBox v0.63. I have v0.61 but I don't no how to use it. I'm using 466MHz,256RAM,W98. Some games are working and some of them are not, of course. Step by step would be great. In this I'm clueless.

Wael 13-12-2004 01:17 PM

Reading suggested

Nick 15-12-2004 08:27 PM

Kill W98 and don't even think about it again! Windows 2000 is the best! Of the Windows OS, of course...

Eagle of Fire 16-12-2004 01:02 AM

Don't listen to Nick, Windows 98 SE is the best Windows version to play old Windows and DOS games.

For DOSBox, 466mhz is really slow to make this program run well. I would not recommend you using it. You have Win98 anyways, 80%+ of all the old games should work on it.

The Niles 16-12-2004 07:39 AM

I second eagle of fire. Win98SE is the best you could have certainly on a computer like yours.

The problem for DOSBox with your computer is that it is too slow. DOSBox requires quite a substantial computer too even emulate games from 12-15 years ago. This might be causing some problems for you. If you do not have WinXP or 2000 installed you would do well to try and get those games running without DOSBox's aid.

Nick 16-12-2004 06:07 PM

W98 is the best for games - I agree with that, but I prefer OS, that doesn't go crazy after week or two. And in W2000 DosBox and VDMSound are the best progs to deal with old games. I have them and I'm happy. I don't know, guys, why are you having problems with these progs. They are so simple, that... you know, what I mean. And they are intended exactly for NT based operation systems like Win2000. So think about my first publication about removing 9x based systems from your PC again. :ok:

Eagle of Fire 16-12-2004 07:02 PM

Quote:

I don't know, guys, why are you having problems with these progs.
Well, the only real reason why we do not recommend DOSBox to him is really because of his computer speed. He will never be able to emulate a 'new old game' with it because he won't be able to play with the cycles to bring it to the right speed. DOSBox require something like 1000mhz to run efficiently and at the correct speed for some game. It is extremely power hungry, especially if you consider it's made to emulate a 486/pentium at best!

For VDMSound, I have XP and I use it all the time. It would only not be usefull for Win98 since he already have DOS sound compatibility with Win98. All he have to do is write a Autoexec.bat and a Config.sys with a line for his soundblaster (or audio drivers), one for EMS and XMS and then the rest (i.e. anything that your DOS games will need, like a mouse driver for example) and it will work fine.

I used Win98 SE for 5 years and never had a problem with it, apart from the occasional crashes which were extremely rare unless you were trying a new piece of software. Agreed, you had to reboot every 5 hours or so to continue using maximum efficiency... But then what's wrong with that? Just part of the game.

bastin 18-12-2004 06:31 AM

I'm a friend of Nick! So, I agree whith you opinion!!! He's very stranger gay !!!

Eagle of Fire 18-12-2004 07:09 AM

I guess you meant "guy" Bastin? :blink:

zbarilec 18-12-2004 01:49 PM

So the best thing is to get stronger CPU (with everything else) and both W98 & W2000 and joggle betwen them to get max for each game?!
Until then don't use mp3,nero,...when you're playing and don't get nervous when it crash (over and over again)
I can live with that.
One round for the guys in the corner :cheers:
Thanks.

The current time is 02:41 PM (GMT)