Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   General compatibility fixes (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   made a old dos system. (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=187)

Petter1979 02-05-2004 05:59 PM

made a old dos system.

Well i made a old computer to play old dos games. The specs on that computer is:

Pentium-S 133 Mhz
intel motherboard, wit pci/isa slots.
64mb EDO ram.
Trident 9680-1 pci graphic card.
floppy drive
old Toshiba cd-rom drive, probally 2x or 4x speed.
Conner 850mb harddrive.
Sound blaster awe64 value ISA soundcard.
newer logitech mouse.

Then i downloaded the soundcard drivers, and got the rest of the files from a win98se install, like mscdex.exe, command.com, and so on.
Found a old cdrom driver vide-cdd.sys on a old floppy drive disk i had. and a mouse driver too.

I made custom made config.sys autoexec.bat so that cdrom, soundcard, mouse all work fine.

Games that work fine now is:
Master of magic
Colonization
Master of orion
Dune 2
Warlords 2
Cavewars
Golden Axe
Blood & Magic

Games wit trouble: (describtion of whats wrong follows)
Syndicate (Sound is working, but game crashes when i click start first mission)

Syndicate wars (Sound is working, but there is graphical errors, cars is not rendered correctly, probally to old graphic card?)

Dynablaster ( atm cant get the sound to work, game is running ok)

Petter1979 02-05-2004 06:37 PM

update

update:
Cannon Fodder 2 is working fine too.

Games with trouble:
Cannon Fodder ( game seems to not be able to detect conventionel memory, says it need 398k to run, and reports that i have 0k free, but i have 592k free. Dont know a solution yet.

Titan 02-05-2004 10:28 PM

I know that last problem of yours... damn.. i think i did some playing around with reserving memory... *L* was 10 yrs since i owned my Compaq Presario DX2-66... sorry i couldn't be of more help.. but i had the same problem with the same game..

Guybrush 28-08-2004 09:21 AM

That's sounds similar to one I built a few years ago for playing old games.

Pentium-S 200 MHz
Chaintech 5SEM
32MB EDO RAM
Matrox 4MB PCI
PowerVR PCX2
Voodoo 2 8MB (SLi)
Seagate 1GB HDD
LG CD-ROM Drive
TEAC 5.25" Floppy
TEAC 3.5" Floppy
SoundBlaster 16

MS-DOS 6.21/Windows 3.11
Windows 95

Most of my games ran great on it. I used the PowerVR card solely for playing Tomb Raider as it kept locking up under 3dfx. The newest game I could get to run on it was Moto Racer, but just barely. Later on I ended up selling it to someone for their kids to do homework with. I put Windows NT on it for them and as far as I know they are still using it.

I'm not familiar with Syndicate Wars, but a lot of times it ends up being a problem with poor VESA support. Scitech display doctor has been released as freeware now, and it's good for diagnosing problems such as that.

FreeFreddy 28-08-2004 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Petter1979@May 2 2004, 07:59 PM
Games wit trouble: (describtion of whats wrong follows)
Syndicate (Sound is working, but game crashes when i click start first mission)

Syndicate wars (Sound is working, but there is graphical errors, cars is not rendered correctly, probally to old graphic card?)

Dynablaster ( atm cant get the sound to work, game is running ok)

For Syndicate and Syndicate Wars I would say, your graphics card is not good, you would be better off installing an Cirrus Logic one - it's most compatible one with all games.
For Dynablaster, set sound & music to Adlib only - the sounds should work then, Soundblaster won't work with this game (at least it didn't, when I played the game on my old PC with Soundblaster 16).
;)

Unknown Hero 28-08-2004 04:48 PM

I have 386. I will get it to work. And play all those old games. As much as I want. :)

Kosta 28-08-2004 05:37 PM

386? That might be a bit tight for some games here, but a good deal of them should work....

FreeFreddy 28-08-2004 05:38 PM

Ultima 8, for example, needs 486DX 50MHZ to run playable fast. ;) Better results with 486DX2 66Mhz or better...

Petter1979 28-08-2004 11:56 PM

hehe yeah, the graphic card might be too old for syndicate wars, but now i got hold on 3 old pci graphic cards :)

I gave about $10

for
Tseng 4mb
Cirrius logic 2mb
Trident 1mb

so im gonna try them the next few days, if the urge comes over me, and i need to play syndicate wars. ;)

Unknown Hero 29-08-2004 02:33 AM

I didn't connect it to eletricity for more than 6 or 7 years. I guess it should still work.

The current time is 01:56 AM (GMT)