Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Games Discussion (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   1-0 Soccer Manager (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=11955)

Romano 20-09-2006 03:53 AM

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)

TheChosen 20-09-2006 08:19 AM

Looks very simple and nice.

I should try this someday.

Mickey 20-09-2006 09:54 AM

Woaw, I was sooo hooked on this game some ten years ago. Simple, to the point and NOT in need of graphics! It was a good step to get to Championship Manager :brain:

velik_m 20-09-2006 12:43 PM

Quote:

Ok, in this game we return to the beginning of the manager games genre.
emm... Football manager - 1982? There's a full decade in there.

Guest 21-09-2006 09:14 PM

Awesome!!!I was looking for that one.I remember playing the shareware version for days.I used to leave the computer on since it didn't have a save.Go Werder Bremen!

Guest 22-09-2006 11:07 PM

I have recently just started playing this game again after many many years. Like the prev user I initially had the older version (which had Stuttgart in the Superleague).

The players peak value is purely based on what club they originated from. The idea is to buy young players from teams whose value is high. If you notice all Werder Bremen players peak at 9m (from memory), all Benfica players peak at 2.9 million etc. Therefore buy young cheap players from big clubs.

Tactically, I haven't found the ideal formation or anything. If you play the "watch the game" mode having players who can beat their man is essential otherwise it just becomes a bit of a long ball ping-pong game.

Guest 24-09-2006 03:09 PM

Why do the game always hang when I try to watch a game? do any of play it on dosbox or not?

The Fifth Horseman 25-09-2006 02:11 PM

I can hardly understand what you mean with your post. Try describing your problem again, slowly and calmly.

Guest 25-09-2006 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Guest @ Sep 24 2006, 03:09 PM

Why do the game always hang when I try to watch a game? do any of play it on dosbox or not?
it works fine on dosbox . a great old game this.
reminds me of a more version of simple champ manager on amiga , i played that for months on end
same tactics work too, play 3-5-2 get 2 good strikers and pack the midfield with quality then play long ball with hard tackles and a offside trap
you need to some backup players too cos you get loads sent off.

Pieter 05-10-2006 09:25 AM

Since 1992 I play this game and I still know the feeling when I started my 286 with 1mb memory. With two of my friends I played many seasons. Nobody understanded why we played such a game. It had many options en you could really watch the game. Sometimes I play it again with dosbox en it works fine by me. After 1-0, Wizard games published 2-1. I am looking for years now for the full version of this game but I havent found it yet. I also would like to know how they programmed this game. The alter.exe can be used for editing the game but the options are limited. :unsure:

Guest 12-11-2006 04:41 AM

This is a fantastic game for the time and I'll try it out to see how it's aged.

In fact this was the first game that I bought using the interweb back in '95 or so (ah, the old days...)

Jacob 10-12-2006 02:23 PM

This is the bets manager game ever!!

I bought the original in 1994, and later the foloow-up in 1996. I haven't stopped playing the game since. Thr reason? The 2D match engine. It's a VERY realistic engine, and it's nice to see that it has finally gotten its recognition, when Champ manager decided to bring an exact copy of it in Championship Manager 4.

I alway take a team from the 4th division, and bring it to the Super League, to win plenty of championships. Once you discovered the tricks, it's not that hard. But still fun!

Some hints :

1 : Always(!) play a 3-4-3 with one sweeper(stay back) and 2 CB's in defence, DM, CM, LM and RM in midfield, and CF and 2 strikers up front.

2 : Players "pop" in value twice during their carrer. At about 20 years and about 23 years. So buy them before those ages. And sell when they are 28!

Guest 02-05-2007 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by the_fifth_horseman @ Sep 25 2006, 02:11 PM

I can hardly understand what you mean with your post. Try describing your problem again, slowly and calmly.

Hi.

I can't play this game in my PC (Win XP Pro SP2).
Anytime I try to play there's a proccess "ntvdm.exe" that takes all the CPU and the game stops (also my PC sound really bad).
In wich configuration do you play? Win 98?

Please answer.
Bye!

_r.u.s.s. 02-05-2007 01:32 PM

it wont run xp, you need to use dosbox. download it from this site and check some tutorial=)

Guest 04-08-2007 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Pieter @ Oct 5 2006, 10:25 AM

After 1-0, Wizard games published 2-1.
I remember playing a very similar version of this game, except it was with the english league and it had fewer options (no economy for exemple). Most probably an earlier version of 1-0 by the same producer.

Does anyone remember that one ?? still looking for it.

SPA2TACU5 10-08-2007 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by TheChosen @ Sep 20 2006, 09:19 AM

Looks very simple and nice.

I should try this someday.
Haha I even bought the game. I believe it came from Ireland. I still have that floppy disk and probably the """"manual"""".
Anyway me and my brother played this game over and over. Thing was it ended in 2040 or something. That was really bad. There were quite some flaws in it, but I was very addictive. I remember one of the first things to do was to buy a guy called Guruceta. A striker who would score 40 - 50 goals per season.

Anyway, I rate this manager game 5/5.

Guest 10-08-2007 07:59 AM

Wizard Games of Scotland Ltd...
ok so it was Scotland :)
Btw my game had black backgrounds instead of grey.

Guest 23-08-2007 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Guest @ Aug 10 2007, 08:59 AM

Wizard Games of Scotland Ltd...
ok so it was Scotland :)
Btw my game had black backgrounds instead of grey.

Hey !!

i can`t save the game....

i hope anyone can help me ....!!!

Guest 05-10-2007 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Guest @ Aug 4 2007, 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Pieter @ Oct 5 2006, 10:25 AM

After 1-0, Wizard games published 2-1.

I remember playing a very similar version of this game, except it was with the english league and it had fewer options (no economy for exemple). Most probably an earlier version of 1-0 by the same producer.

Does anyone remember that one ?? still looking for it.
yesssss! twas The Soccer Game. i can't find it anywhere!!!

spydre 05-02-2008 07:44 AM

Game Play Tips

The key to game play on the field is to constantly change the positioning of players to get the "effects" of the desired position and to move the players to the desired locations. I will list a few examples:

Passing: To encourage a player to pass the ball on command, change the ball carrier to either a defensive position, or (my preference) a forward midfielder on "quick/long pass". Set the player that you desire to receive the pass as a striker (I would recommend on "keep ball" to avoid having him pass it away once he gets it). Change any other attacking players on the pitch to midfielders or defenders to avoid having them become the target of the pass.

Once the pass is received you can then change the receiver to whatever positioning will be of next advantage.

Getting the ball past a defender: To encourage a player to do his trickiest footwork and baffle an approaching defender, change the player to a full back on "quick/short passing". Quickly change another nearby player or players to strikers or center forwards. The ball carrier will go into some quirky dribbling, while the newly converted attackers will begin to rush forward. The defense will rush to cover the attackers while the full back dribbles on by. Once past the defense convert the man with the ball to an attacker with keep ball, or alternatively have him pass or cross onto one of your other players (see passing above).

Shoot on command: Whenever your player with the ball is at the location where you want him to shoot, or if he's about to receive a pass or a cross and you want him to volley the ball straight at the net, convert him to a centerback on "keep ball/short passing", and he will fire the shot instantly.

Other tips: Converting a player to a winger with "quick/short passing" will achieve an effect similar to the "fullback trick" (see above) but instead of fancy footwork, the player will dribble wide and out to the wing and sometimes around potential midfielder tacklers. From the wing, the passing maneuver given earlier can be used to force a cross to an uncovered player rushing up the center.

There are many more such tricks but it's more fun to find them on your own. To properly accomplish these feats, the game should be played on a very slow speed. An hour of actual game time for really fancy play on the field is not out of the question. Playing against another human opponent using this method you should allow for a full 90 minutes (and I'd recommend a half time to allow tempers to cool). Played in this manner the game takes on the aspect of a non-stop action chess match wherein the pieces constantly changing as the game is played.

Peace,

-S

Stoeving 20-03-2008 09:49 AM

wauv!! That's a lot of small tricks.
I've found that I win the championship in the Super League 2 out of 3 years even without those tricks, so that's good enough for me.

The important aspect, is to dominate the economy, and you do that by buying 20-22 year-olds, and watch them rise in value, and then sell them when they're 27-28.

Alfons 14-07-2008 07:21 PM

It always crashes when i try to watch a game (playing under windows, no dosbox)
But if it would run, itd look like a real good football managing game (much stats, great options to choose for the players, ...)

The Fifth Horseman 14-07-2008 09:25 PM

Then try running it under DOSBox and it shouldn't crash. :)

GUesty 12-10-2009 03:42 PM

Me and my mates used to play the demo version all the time back in the day.

We'd set up 2 managers, one as Liverpool or Man U, and the other as Barcelona or AC Milan... then we'd buy all the best players from Barca or Milan for £1, sell our crap players for millions - and then go on a shopping spree!

As I remember, Regi Blinker was our favourite striker and Ed De Goey (which we literally pronounce "Goo-ee") was our favourite keeper.

We also used to leave the PC on because you couldn't save.

Igorovics 10-11-2009 09:36 AM

Great game, but it's a bit frustrating that the manager can be sacked from a team. That makes the game VERY hard when you try to start with a weak team in the third league.

Ramzavail 08-04-2010 01:52 PM

is this the game that when you got fired it brought up a screen in big letters that said "OH DEAR YOU GOT THE BOOT" ?

I'd love a screenshot of that.

Stoeving2 27-01-2011 12:57 PM

Sacked

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramzavail (Post 402209)
is this the game that when you got fired it brought up a screen in big letters that said "OH DEAR YOU GOT THE BOOT" ?

I'd love a screenshot of that.

No. It says "You've been SACKED".
But in 1-095 you can disable this option. It's very frustrating to have a hugely talented team close to a big breakthrough, and then be sacked.

I'm still playing this for the 17th year running. I may take a break for 6-12 months, but I always come back to it. It's great.

- SPA2TACU5 - 31-10-2011 09:06 AM

Disk!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-r...0/IMAG0045.jpg

NewEraCatalog 07-03-2013 02:20 AM

New Era Catalog

I received the copyrights to the entire New Era Catalog (Wizard Games Of Scotland produced) in 2008.

I have every single game..

It is not abandonware as i actively maintain the software for xp, vista and 7, but I can let you have a copy of the Soccer Game 2 if you ask nicely,

I used to play this with my father when it came out, we found a POOLS CHEAT, you would save the game, advance 1 week and write down the results of 10 score draws, exit without saving, re-load and put those score draw games on the pools, the results were the same after reloading so we won £1.5 to £2m every time my email is dbc1702 at gmail dot com if you would like a copy, screenshots available

The current time is 09:56 AM (GMT)