Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Gaming Zone (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Best Series (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=3256)

Ajax 18-02-2005 05:14 PM

I don't know it this has been brought up. If so, I apologize for the repeat. I just wanted to see what people thought about game series. It's my personal opinion that the best series ever made was the Quest for Glory series. Those games are simply awesome!! They go from the old school type interface to a more advanced format in 5 and still hold true as some of the funnest and best replayable games. :kosta:

That's just from someone big on adventure games. What about y'all?

Anovich 18-02-2005 05:27 PM

Gabriel Knight. I can't help it, I just my dear Gabe.

But there are many good series, especially the ones made by sierra I think, I mean Leisure Suit Larry for all it's lameness is incredibly entertaining!

marko river 18-02-2005 05:44 PM

Leasure Suit Larry !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, comparing how much time i spend playing CM, C&C and some more series, i shouldn't even mention Larry, but, hey, let's be honest to ourslef. What can be better than hitting on girls with lot of humor? :D

Ajax 18-02-2005 06:36 PM

Sure, I've played all the Leisure Suit Larrys, the Police Quests, the Space Quests, King's Quest, Quest this, Quest that, Gabriel Knight, etc, etc. I loved them all. But those are just Sierra adventure games. What about LucasArts (ex. Monkey Island)? What about strategy games like Warcraft, or Diablo? It's hard to say what he best series is with the different genres out there, but everyone has a favorite, right? For me, as I mentioned, it's Quest for Glory.

Anovich 18-02-2005 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ajax@Feb 18 2005, 07:36 PM
Sure, I've played all the Leisure Suit Larrys, the Police Quests, the Space Quests, King's Quest, Quest this, Quest that, Gabriel Knight, etc, etc. I loved them all. But those are just Sierra adventure games. What about LucasArts (ex. Monkey Island)? What about strategy games like Warcraft, or Diablo? It's hard to say what he best series is with the different genres out there, but everyone has a favorite, right? For me, as I mentioned, it's Quest for Glory.
I've only played monkey island 3 and 4, 3 is one of my all time favorites, while I was very disappointed with 4. I have yet to play 1 and 2, which is very embarresing, I'm so gonna have a marathon when I have the time!!!

Even though I'm a girl, I think LSL is soooooooo funny!!! I have only played nr 8 a little, cause I didn't wanna buy it since it wasn't made by Al Lowe or even featuring THE Leisure suit Larry!

The Niles 18-02-2005 07:09 PM

There are a lot of worthwhile series, Wing Commander, Baldur's Gate and Max Payne are just a few that where not mentioned before. I could not pick a single one that stands out beyond all others.

DeathDude 18-02-2005 09:45 PM

I'll throw my vote to the Monkey Island series. Although I've only played 1, 2, and 4 and have yet to play 3, but still a good series overall.

Tulac 18-02-2005 10:00 PM

I'd have to say Baldur's gate, followed by Leisure suit Larry( withou Magna cum Laude!)...

Omuletzu 19-02-2005 07:30 AM

Diablo!

UnHoly 19-02-2005 09:47 AM

Fallout! I wonder why nobody mentioned it before

Reup 19-02-2005 10:35 AM

Monkey Island series, Gothic serie (well two is a serie, right?), Ultima-series are on the top of my list!

Lizard 19-02-2005 10:50 AM

Wizardy and Might and Magic series

Puffin 19-02-2005 11:38 AM

Monkey Island!!!!!
1, 2 and 3 were awesome... 4 was a bit of a disappointment.

Borodin 19-02-2005 12:44 PM

Far too many game series that were decent to single out just one: Wizardry, Might and Magic, Ultima, Patrician, Monkey Island, Quest for Glory, Civilization, Imperialism, Capitalism, Master of Orion--the list is endless.

Fawfulhasfury 19-02-2005 03:15 PM

Paper Mario and Monkey Island.

xcom freak 19-02-2005 03:24 PM

:blink: no one mentionned FINAL FANTASY what a :eeeeeh:

Ajax 19-02-2005 06:01 PM

HOW COULD I FORGET TO MENTION FINAL FANTASY!!! :wall: :wall:

But then again, I've been thinking computer games and I've only played the Final Fantasies on console systems. Very worthy series to not forget though...

xcom freak 19-02-2005 06:15 PM

Romance of the three kingdoms is really a good series and this series has on the PS2 a bunch of games with the same creators koei same missions but evry games take an aspect of war (for example Rotk takes up economy and strategy while dynasty warriors is an action game where u control the charcater u command in rotk)

JJXB 19-02-2005 07:59 PM

fallout, discworld, GTA, halo. Final fantasy isn't very good compared to most rpg's now.

The Levitating Nun 19-02-2005 08:30 PM

The Baldur's Gate series (including NWN) is amazing, still working through number 2 with my character from the first one. I'm kinda slow on it, bit start-stoppy.

Tulac 19-02-2005 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by The Levitating Nun@Feb 19 2005, 10:30 PM
The Baldur's Gate series (including NWN)
Please don't pin the IMO awful nwn with BG, it's not the part of the series because:
a) story is different
b ) it uses 3rd edition rules
c) it's 3d (OK not so important)
d) it would be a disgrace for the series...

Fawfulhasfury 19-02-2005 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by JJXB@Feb 19 2005, 08:59 PM
Final fantasy isn't very good compared to most rpg's now.
What r u saying. Final Fantasy is awesome!!! But anyway. I'd definitely rate it as one of the best game series of all time. That and Kingdom Hearts.

JJXB 19-02-2005 08:39 PM

ff7 onwards the series went downhill. the early final fantasy games were good but from ff7 it went down the pan.

xcom freak 19-02-2005 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by JJXB@Feb 19 2005, 08:59 PM
Final fantasy isn't very good compared to most rpg's now.
:roflol: i love the joke!!!!!

JJXB 19-02-2005 09:12 PM

what?? ff7 onwards were crap. before they were good (aka 1-6) two of the few rpg series that compared to ff 1-6 was the chrono series (chrono trigger etc) and the secret of mana series.

xcom freak 19-02-2005 09:26 PM

FF 8 was great spent so many hours only card games ! ff x was incredible x-2 was innovative!
The graphics of these games beat any RPG's graphism
these games lifespans are only equaled by Diablo 2 (in RPGs)
The environnement is just enormous,The side quests are a game by themselves

BLITZBALL was really a kick behind feature!!!!

in x2 the dress transformations are just incredible!

i am gonna stop here coz i could talk for hours and i think fawful agrees

JJXB 19-02-2005 09:29 PM

the only reason anyone liked x-2 was beacuse of the females breasts!

xcom freak 19-02-2005 09:35 PM

In every succesful game there are breasts!!!
look at Diablo's rogues,baldur gate also,GTA .........
Well i wont say i havent enjoyed the boobs but the gameplay is also good X2 hasn't exactly THE FF standards i would give that to u but i think this is the case coz in every FF u enjoy exploring new worlds and everything but in FFx2 u already know everything

The Levitating Nun 19-02-2005 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Tulac+Feb 19 2005, 09:33 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Tulac @ Feb 19 2005, 09:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-The Levitating Nun@Feb 19 2005, 10:30 PM
The Baldur's Gate series (including NWN)
Please don't pin the IMO awful nwn with BG, it's not the part of the series because:
a) story is different
b ) it uses 3rd edition rules
c) it's 3d (OK not so important)
d) it would be a disgrace for the series... [/b][/quote]
What's the difference between the rules in BG1 and 2 and those in NWN? I don't know the difference having personally never played D&D or AD&D whichever it is.

JJXB 19-02-2005 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by xcom freak@Feb 19 2005, 10:35 PM
In every succesful game there are breasts!!!
look at Diablo's rogues,baldur gate also,GTA .........
Well i wont say i havent enjoyed the boobs but the gameplay is also good X2 hasn't exactly THE FF standards i would give that to u but i think this is the case coz in every FF u enjoy exploring new worlds and everything but in FFx2 u already know everything

breasts don't neccesaraily mean good gameplay. diablo had good gameplay but the gfx were absolute trash which means the breasts didn't really affect gameplay. tomb raider was popular because lara croft had big breasts but she was an unwieldy bitch to control and it was a sub-standard 3d platformer with sub-standard combat. gta was fun yes, but the gfx didn't show females breasts off now, ff x and x-2 did show off the breasts and also the skill system was absolute trash (now how stupid is the idea of a "sphere system"??)

Calamity 19-02-2005 09:57 PM

I love way too many series to really be able to give one the "best series" title. I'll keep it strictly to the pc though:

-Gabriel Knight
-Leisure Suit Larry
-Laura Bow
-Fallout
-System Shock
-Monkey Island
-Warcraft

And the list goes on...

EDIT-JJBX is right, any FF after VI is complete crap. ;) Best next gen console RPG series: PS2: Shadow Hearts X-Box: Knights of the Old Republic Gamecube: Tough one since it doesn't have any series yet. I know the new Zelda will take the cake but until then I'd have to say either Paper Mario 2 or Tales of Symphonia (It took everything from Tales of Phantasia and made it better)

DeathDude 19-02-2005 10:33 PM

Ag I can't believe I forgot to mention Final Fantasy as well, dang, a very good series indeed, although I admit I haven't played 8, 9, or 10 yet...

xcom freak 19-02-2005 10:56 PM

Sphere system is kinda smart coz ur characater could be anything and they are not predefined as warrior wizard preist thief u can turn Yuna into a fighter and Kimahri into a wizard

dragonLancer 19-02-2005 11:27 PM

Yeah final fantasy the bomb LOL :guns:

Dreadlord 19-02-2005 11:55 PM

Who likes Ultima? Yay, go Mista Garriott! Final Fantasy is getting stale, the combat system is, should I say, poo, compared to other RPGs, I'd rather play a fast paced Baldur's Gate or Diablo game than watch my characters wait for little bars to fill up with mysterious white liquid then swing their swords once and throw a little spell. People who judge NWN for it's singeplayer are insane, this game was made for your own stories and especially the online play. It was a good game, and the third edition rules allowed to customize your characters real nice like.

P.S. : Whoever created blitzball must die slowly and painfully, that is the most atrocious minigame/feature/anything I have seen in a game ever.

A few others

-Doom
-Half-Life
-Diablo
-Warcraft
-Blood
-System Shock
-Quest for Glory
-Monkey Island
-Battle Isle
-Settlers
-C&C
-The Elder Scrolls
-Jedi Knight
-Knights of the Old Republic
-Total Annihilation
-Rollercoaster Tycoon
-Age of Empires
-Caeser
-Dungeon Keeper
-Populous
-Fallout

The amazing thing is that I own all those series!

xcom freak 20-02-2005 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dreadlord@Feb 20 2005, 12:55 AM

P.S. : Whoever created blitzball must die slowly and painfully, that is the most atrocious minigame/feature/anything I have seen in a game ever.

:angry: Blitzball is a great mini game ! Guess everyone has his own likings

Dreadlord 20-02-2005 12:09 AM

Speaking of other's likings, I must admit that I did like it when Tidus screamed "HALP!" When low on health.

I found Blitzball hard, frustrating, badly designed, irritating, and most importantly boring. That's in my opinion though. As a side note I want to add one more series.

-Alien Versus Predator

dragonLancer 20-02-2005 12:29 AM

Hey Xcom i agree BlitzBall rocks Btw i also think Doom rocks, I got 1,2, and final but i dont got 3 yet. Blood is cool too but it needs a #3 right now they only got 2 although the 1st one dose have 5 sections of 9-10 lvls each. (still FF is an old-school/New-school game) they got 1-12 and mini's in between that were not as big + more on the way like chronicles of cerebrus or the new movie Advent Children all in all FF owns RPG series's!!!! :guns:

----------DragonLancer

JJXB 20-02-2005 01:49 AM

FF doesn't own i think you'll find. if you want an rpg on console that beats it, go for chrono trigger. on pc there are countless rpg's that beat FF (like fallout series, BG series, diablo series etc) so all in all, FF SUCKS!

dragonLancer 20-02-2005 02:23 AM

well maybe its just me. i love FF but hey im not here to judge to tell you the truth i hate pickin favorites because i love ALLLLLL kinds of games. i mean hey diablo is sweet and so are games like everquest, Myst, WoW, Neverwinter, Mario (LOL), starcraft, and halo/starwars games! see im varied :D :guns:

------------DragonLancer

TaloN 20-02-2005 10:34 AM

Fallout series = my one love, i got fallout tactics for xmas, its awesome, fallout 2 is stil lgod.

Half-life- 1,2 - spawning mods such as : Day of Defeat, coutnerstrike, team fortress, others. Possibly the most influential series of Mods EVER.

Broken Sword 1 and 2 :D

Discowrld series - comic genius

Sid Meiers games - what cna i say rele, wow.

Tulac 20-02-2005 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by The Levitating Nun@Feb 19 2005, 11:39 PM
What's the difference between the rules in BG1 and 2 and those in NWN? I don't know the difference having personally never played D&D or AD&D whichever it is.
There is a difference, but I'm too lazy too explain them :bleh: (spells work somewhat differntly, weapons and AC works diferently, there are no feats and skills in BG etc.)...

Lizard 20-02-2005 11:27 AM

I fear I never play any of Final Fantasy games(except Endless Nova,but well...) :tomato:
But looking for it.Are some of them abandonware?
My best series:
Baldurs Gate plus NWN
The Elder Scrolls
Warcraft
Fallout
Wizardy
Heroes of Might and Magic
Mortal Kombat(heh,but first three were very good)

Dreadlord 20-02-2005 04:19 PM

Stop bashing FF, it's good for those that like a straightforward RPG, best console RPGs ever made in my opinion (exluding Chrono Trigger)

wormpaul 20-02-2005 04:33 PM

For me:

Monkey island

Karn Shiroshi 20-02-2005 07:06 PM

I have to say. Ultima would have to be by far my favorite series, I mean, they took it so far. What ruined the series for me is when EA bought out Ultima Online...totally trashed the game for me. Yet I suppose that's a tale for another day. Another favorite of mine would have to be the FF Series (up until 7, XI was a total disaster) and, believe it or not, Ghouls and Ghosts. Muahaha..I loved that game, though I'm not sure it would be considered a series, even though it lived up to one in my opinion, the NES version was such a challenge...gargoyles, pft.

Endop 20-02-2005 07:59 PM

This is not that old, but I absolutely love the little-known Dominions series. TBS strategy at its best, IMO. Lots of different nations, magic system inspired by Ars Magica (although not so very visible in the game), hundreds of units/spells/items, great, apocalyptic feeling...

The story short: the God has died, and his Throne is for the strongest to take. You are a Pretender trying to achieve Godhood, leading a nation under your influence to conquer the world and spread your dominion, be it of death and decay, heat of the wastelands or one of earthly order and powerful magics. Or all of that!

I especially like the fact that there are no archetype nations. While there are Tuatha, Sidhe and Vanir, there are no elves, and the Giants are not just brutes, they are Jotuns, descendants of ancient Niefel. As you should have noticed, the nations take from the myths of this world. Might be because half of the Illwinter team consists of a religion teacher. :D

Dreadlord 20-02-2005 08:36 PM

Go Dominions! The only problem with those games were that they were hopelessly confusing and terribly difficulty for casual and newbie gamers to get the hang of it. Wish it had sold better.

Endop 21-02-2005 05:51 PM

Well, it sold well enough that the Dominions II got a publisher, and for the Dominions III to be in the plans... Three articles of "Dominions III Developers Diary" have already been published via the publisher's newsletter, FRAG!. Here is an excerpt from the first one:

"Dom2 was apparently not an easy game to get into, so we will have to work a bit on user friendlieness. This is scary. I'm friendly, but I don't know too much about Users. "

That was written by Kristoffer, "the Master of the World" that creates the units, sprites and stuff. We'll have to wait and see how well Johan "the Clockmaker", games' programmer, fares with UI...

Dreadlord 21-02-2005 05:55 PM

:w00t: Wow! Never knew there was a Dominions 3 in progress! Thanks for the info... :ok:

caesar007 22-02-2005 03:05 PM

uhm can i read a review about dominions somewhere 1 or 2 ? it sounds like a cool game , can we still buy it ?

there are alot of great series made , but i still favour larry , it might be kind of dumb , old , bad graphics and so on , but it was alot of fun to play and very addictive and that's what matters about a game to me !!

Endop 22-02-2005 04:18 PM

Shrapnel Games' (publisher) site for DomII:

http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Illwinter/d2/1.htm

Illwinter's own site exists, but it is awfully outdated. However, the developers read and sometimes write the Shrapnel Games's forum on
http://www.shrapnelcommunity.com/threads/p...at=&Board=UBB74 .

There is a demo of both games available.
Dominios II demo has 40 turn limit, and you can only play as some of the nations. It has much better-looking maps, but is a bigger download. Research is capped at level 4. You can play any maps you like, and even in multiplayer, but research/turn caps stay. Links to it and some helpful files are available at the end of its description in Shrapnel's pages.
I have been working on a tutorial-like map, but it is still only partly finished. It is meant to be easier-than-normal scenario that comes accompanied with a guide written by someone who knows both the game mechanics and what surprises the map file holds.

About the only reason to play Dominions I's demo would be because it has no turn limit. However, the user interface is very different from DomII, maps are from totally different worlds and the small visible part of the (non-zoomable) map gives it very claustrophobic feeling. You could also try some of the nations DomII demo doesn't let you, like underwater R'lyeh of Cthulhoid horrors, but most nations have either been changed a little with the addition of themes or got other improvements. As an example, the once all-undead empire of Ermor starts as living/undead mix by default, but can become its old population-killing, undead-spawning self with the spending of lots of nation points, and R'lyeh has Void Gate, from which the brave souls who venture in might find... things ... that can be persuaded to join your armies. Of course, the summoner might be killed our become feebleminded, or the creatures might be hostile and kill him. :evil:

Janne Joensuu,
Endoperez

Velcrow 04-03-2005 12:57 AM

Diablo was the best series ever
Warcraft was in second
Streets of rage in at third

Diablo has right now over 600,000 active players
Four YEARS after Diablo LOD was released :kosta:

The current time is 06:11 AM (GMT)