Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Old News (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   Abandonia needs YOU! (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=18674)

The Fifth Horseman 16-01-2009 03:38 PM

Abandonia needs YOU!

Last few weeks have been pretty turbulent for all of us, but in the wake of everything that happened one thing became quite obvious - over last year or two, more staff have lost interest in the site than have joined. We need moderators, we need updaters... and simply people to help with a dozen tiny yet important tasks.

It's been a long-standing custom that apart from offering staff membership to promising active members, the staff also accepts volunteers.

If you wish to join us and help with expanding Abandonia, you can file your application in the Recruitment Office.

PS. Due to certain incidents that happened in the past any volunteers will start small, with their access clearance and powers increased once they've sufficiently proven themselves.
Don't take offence for that, we're simply trying to avoid any possible incidents where someone accidentally wipes out half the archives from the server. *^_^

Inkubus 19-01-2009 04:25 AM

Sorry, where is the application form located? I didn't see one, though I may be overlooking it completely.

AlumiuN 19-01-2009 08:00 AM

There's no application as such, just a 'Recruitment Office' sub-forum. Just post a thread there saying what you want to apply for. :)

Panthro 19-01-2009 05:19 PM

perhaps it would be wise to start topics based on what sort of jobs you require, and then people can apply via that?

I have no idea if I have the ability or time to do anything, and wouldn't be able to tell you unless we get a few more details about what exactly is expected of future Abandonia employees!

The Fifth Horseman 19-01-2009 06:19 PM

Right now we're primarily looking for forum moderators, updaters and proofreaders.
Basically anyone willing to help and able to regularly spend some time on doing so is welcome.

_r.u.s.s. 19-01-2009 06:30 PM

why do you need mods=S i thought there's enough

Spoonman 19-01-2009 06:37 PM

Well, I might very well have enough time left for some proofreading, although I do not know the specifics of that function

Japo 19-01-2009 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. (Post 349329)
why do you need mods=S i thought there's enough

There can't be too many mods. :D Reason is, redundancy decreases reaction time etc. and needn't have any ill efects. It's not that more mods will increase moderating action, instead it would just decrease the workload for each one. If one goes AWOL, no problem.

red_avatar 19-01-2009 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Japofran (Post 349340)
There can't be too many mods. :D Reason is, redundancy decreases reaction time etc. and needn't have any ill efects. It's not that more mods will increase moderating action, instead it would just decrease the workload for each one. If one goes AWOL, no problem.

From personal experience, I've noticed that if theres too many mods, the risk of mod wars increase drastically - I've seen forums fall apart because mods couldn't agree on a ruling (especially if a friend was the 'victim' of a mod action) so there are downsides ;). I needn't mention some of the recent problems that Abandonia had to deal with.

Also, it's common for people to start slacking off when they think they're not really needed. When you think "there's enough mods anyway so I don't need to check up on the site every day" it may have a cascading effect where every mod starts to feel like that. I've seen this happening on many forums as well.

Japo 19-01-2009 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red_avatar (Post 349347)
From personal experience, I've noticed that if theres too many mods, the risk of mod wars increase drastically

True, I said "needn't have any ill efects", not "won't have any ill efects". :p Anyway it's possible for many to live in harmony, and I have (current) experience from a forum with _dozens_ of _global_ mods (really). Many are inactive, then someone who's been off for months reappears... The workload doesn't pile up. The first requirement is not appointing people who look like they might possibly be problematic, and the second is oversight for the problematic cases that may arise none the less (which are rare in my experience if the first requirement is met). For the second requirement we have forum admins. :P :adminpower:

The current time is 10:08 PM (GMT)