Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Games Discussion (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Simon The Sorcerer (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=1689)

Kosta 11-12-2004 02:20 PM

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review & Buy Link

Stroggy 11-12-2004 02:21 PM

Damn you for getting my hopes up :(
My heart skipped a beat when I saw the small screenshot in the news section... then i read the announcement :cry:

Iron_Scarecrow 11-12-2004 02:37 PM

Same thing happened to me when I saw this thread. I been dying to play this game again since I have pretty much no memory of it except that I absolutly loved it.

*EDIT* Oh it looks so beautiful. I want now. :cry:

wendymaree 11-12-2004 02:47 PM

I played Simon The Sorcerer and the sequel ages ago and both were great fun.
Not abandoned YET? :ranting:

Infocom must have made millions out of these games.

Eagle of Fire 11-12-2004 04:44 PM

What's the point in putting a game which is not abadonware on the site if it's only to review it?

Really get the site quality down IMHO. Especially if it become a new trend.

Guest 11-12-2004 05:30 PM

*drools* I really want to play this game dammit, if only I could buy it somewhere that isn't online! :ranting:

Rogue 11-12-2004 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle of Fire@Dec 11 2004, 12:44 PM
What's the point in putting a game which is not abadonware on the site if it's only to review it?

It is fine for me, as if is soo good game (as this one is) you might decide to buy it.

Kosta 11-12-2004 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle of Fire@Dec 11 2004, 05:44 PM

Why should we not show and review true classics if they are still for sale? If someone REALLY wants it, he/she is always free to buy it, nothing wrong there. I don't see how it brings the quality down. Its not as if the game is impossible to obtain.

Guest 11-12-2004 10:03 PM

I'm lucky enough to have got myself a copy of this gem 5 or 6 years ago in a bargain basement for just a few dollars. It's the CD talkie version with Simon being voiced by Chris Barrie (of Red Dwarf fame) and is just fantastic. One of the best adventure games I've played :ok:

Guest 11-12-2004 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle of Fire@Dec 11 2004, 05:44 PM

It's already down due to all the stupid freeware made in the past few years that gets posted here.

wendymaree 12-12-2004 12:44 AM

Some of the freeware games are as good or better than commerical ones. I think the VGA remakes of Kings Quest 1 and 2 that are on Abandonia are awesome. The team that made these games are working on another Sierra remake that should be released soon. I can't wait.

Guest 12-12-2004 12:48 AM

That's not the point. Freeware isn't abandoned. Hell, it's even more pointless considering you can download the games on their OFFICIAL SITES.

wendymaree 12-12-2004 12:55 AM

If you wanted to make a new topic about this, I'm sure others would be interested in discussing it, too.

Classic Pig 12-12-2004 01:08 AM

I missed a large portion of my gaming education and Simon was one of those I missed! Pity! :cry:

Good news however is that eventually it will become abandoned and then it will be here I suppose! :Titan:

DiamondSoul 12-12-2004 02:34 AM

Hopefully it will be abandoned in our lifetime. :wall:

Rogue 12-12-2004 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by DiamondSoul@Dec 11 2004, 10:34 PM
Hopefully it will be abandoned in our lifetime. :wall:
Don't worry, I'll reserve you a copy in underworld! :twisted:

I finished first one on amiga, and all I can say, it's worth the money.

FreeFreddy 12-12-2004 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Anubis@Dec 12 2004, 05:49 AM
Don't worry, I'll reserve you a copy in underworld! :twisted:
Don't forget to reserve the old 486es PC's there too, the game alone wouldn't use much. ;)
Well, I had myself a copy of this game, but as it was saved on a floppy, one of them became damaged with time and the game stopped to be playable then. Long time ago now...

Sebatianos 12-12-2004 07:54 AM

Sorry to hear you most of you have problems with this game, I don't :whistle:
So don't worry - as soon as it is abandoned it will be here (but I'm afraid that won't be so soon - Simon 3 got out just 2 years ago - so they'll be selling a package of all 3 games for quite some time I guess).

Eagle of Fire 12-12-2004 10:22 AM

Quote:

Why should we not show and review true classics if they are still for sale? If someone REALLY wants it, he/she is always free to buy it, nothing wrong there. I don't see how it brings the quality down. Its not as if the game is impossible to obtain.
Excuse me for my obtuse logic, but when I look for an Abadonware site, I seek Abadonware.

What makes a good quality ABW site IMHO is: 1) Good reviews. 2) Number of games on the site and 3) All games available for download so I don't lose my time looking at tittles that I won't buy anyways considering all the true classic genres I love to play been played a long time ago. You can't say you are really into a genre if you missed one of the biggest classic of it.

Abadonnia has next to no games that you can't download, and it's really a plus IMHO. I just hope that game is one of the few exceptions.

Iron_Scarecrow 13-12-2004 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Sebatianos@Dec 12 2004, 08:54 AM
Sorry to hear you most of you have problems with this game, I don't :whistle:

Yeah just rub it in why don't you. :ranting: :ranting: :ranting:

Timpsi 13-12-2004 08:28 PM

From the front page: It is still being sold, so the appropriate 'Buy it' button is displayed where 'Get it' should be. So, you're free to buy it or obtain in some other way!

Is it just me or does that sound a bit suspicious? What other way are we talking about? Surely not downloading?

Anyway, I'm glad to see reviews of games that are still sold. They're excellent for those who missed the golden age of gaming and need guidance to the greatest titles. A good review of a classic game will surely attract buyers. While Abandonia is an abandonware site, I think it can do good work at educating the newer generations if it doesn't limit itself too severly.

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ("Eagle of Fire")</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>3) All games available for download so I don't lose my time looking at tittles that I won't buy anyways considering all the true classic genres I love to play been played a long time ago.[/b][/quote]
When I buy games, I don't look at their age. It's the same thing with music; it's the quality that matters, not the year when it was made.

Sebatianos 13-12-2004 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Timpsi@Dec 13 2004, 11:28 PM
Is it just me or does that sound a bit suspicious? What other way are we talking about? Surely not downloading?
Most deffinetly not - it's illegal!!!
That's why our admins are so careful to remove any link to a warez site that is accedentaly made by a newby who still hasn't learned the rules (basically the Newbys just want to help).
But maybe someone can give you the game as a gift (it's that time of the year again), or you might trade it for some other old game you purchased,...

Iron_Scarecrow 14-12-2004 08:40 AM

I been looking for a free download for a while now. But no luck. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Wanderer 15-12-2004 08:27 PM

Simon! Sweetness. I loved this game. Played a demo for it many years ago, and then was given it by a friend since he was done with it. A truly magnificent piece of adventure work. It doesn't surprise me at all that it's still being sold.

Now if only I could find the sequel...

Wanderer 15-12-2004 08:31 PM

Erm... I mean I was given the FULL game by a friend. Just wanted to clear that up.

And I didn't realize there were TWO sequels! OMG Now I really need to go searching...

Xeros 24-12-2004 12:45 PM

i bought this one like 4-5 years ago in a local store :P its quite a nice game ... cant belive its not abandonware XD

BlackMageJawa 24-12-2004 04:25 PM

I got Simon 1&2 from the library: free rental + CD burner = Much happiness!

But these are great games, and I would advise anyone to not hesitate in buying them.

BTW, I don't suppose the two non-PnC Simon games are abandoned, are they (Simon the Sorcerer Puzzle Pack and Simon The Sorcerer Pinball)?

Sebatianos 25-12-2004 08:55 PM

OK - I just spotet a huge mistake I made while writing the review!
It's something I didn't notic, because the spell check understood this word too, so it was only after I read the Croation translation I noticed it.

The dwarfs need BEER :beer: not a BEAR :roflol: !
:wall: :wall: :wall:
*goes and hides* :ph34r:

Unknown Hero 25-12-2004 09:12 PM

I better go and fix that error! :ph34r:

*goes to fix an error*

JJXB 05-02-2005 06:45 PM

i finally found my cd! :D:D:D
and even better, its the full dos talkie! :P
if you want to play it properly, install scummvm, install simon and then copy over the *.voc and simon.gme files into the dir where you installed it. the you can direct scummvm to the simon folder and it'll play! :)

edit - the guy that did simon's voice that "hillary" was referring to is named chris barrie :P

Christian IV 02-05-2005 05:26 PM

:bye: :D :D
I really liked Simon, the games have a nice intro with the
animations of simon, and the game itself has nice visuals,
i like the forest path scenes, and seeking things in the game,
the owl who tells you hints, the dwarfs in their mine, it is a lot
of fun and neat. I did not play it with sound so that will be a
fun part of continuing to explore this game in time.
thanks for having reviews of games even if they are not
yet abandonware and I do like the honesty and care taken by
this site and the integrity behind it. It is important.
thanks

:ok: :ok:

MdaG 11-05-2005 06:07 PM

I just bought the talkie versions of Simon 1 & 2 for ?6. Yup I'm happy.

dr_st 11-05-2005 06:20 PM

Yeah, without the talkie, the game loses like 50% of its fun. To me, at least.

MdaG 11-05-2005 07:59 PM

Yeah, I just wish I could have text and speech at the same time. Sometimes it's hard to hear what the characters are saying.

dr_st 11-05-2005 08:05 PM

I thought you do get text and speech at the same time... I do, at least. Weird...

A. J. Raffles 11-05-2005 08:16 PM

If you can't get Simon to run with text and speech, you should try running it with ScummVM. I'm pretty sure it has a subtitles option.

MdaG 11-05-2005 08:26 PM

Actually I am running it in scummvm (Linux user here :))

How do I enable text and speech?

A. J. Raffles 11-05-2005 09:34 PM

Usually via the game settings (edit game - audio - display subtitles, I think). I can't check it at the moment, though, because my CD of Simon1 has gone missing.

MdaG 12-05-2005 06:50 AM

I've enabled the "display subtitles" in both global and local options, bit I still don't get any. Hmm my version is ompatible with Win XP, maybe they removed that option there?

A. J. Raffles 12-05-2005 08:06 AM

That would be just like Windows XP, wouldn't it? :D Probably the Win XP version just isn't fully supported by ScummVM. Mine is the old DOS version, so I suppose I can't really help you there. Sorry.

Arwen 17-05-2005 10:07 PM

I own this game in hardcopy...but it doesn't work on my computer. I think I've gotten all the patches and stuff, but it still doesn't play. Any suggestions?

A. J. Raffles 18-05-2005 05:15 AM

So ScummVM didn't work either? What system are you using?

kOS 18-05-2005 10:11 AM

i have a win95 copy of simon.. and no text is visible :(

Arwen 21-05-2005 07:23 PM

I don't really understand computers that much, but I am using Windows XP...if that helps.

A. J. Raffles 21-05-2005 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Arwen@May 21 2005, 07:23 PM
I don't really understand computers that much, but I am using Windows XP...if that helps.
Right, at the main site select 'programs' and follow the link to the ScummVM site. Download ScummVM. Once you've downloaded the programme, run it and click on 'Add game' select the directory you have the game installed in (if the game is on CD, make sure it's in the CD drive). Then select the game and click on 'Start'.
Hope this helps.:)

Argith Nuei 08-06-2005 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dr_st@May 11 2005, 06:20 PM
Yeah, without the talkie, the game loses like 50% of its fun. To me, at least.
I agree. :ok: Simon the sorcerer without speech is like... Well... Its just not a good thing. By far the best adventure game I`ve ever played, though the third game was more or less frustrating. To many open areas with enough dead ends to make one run around for hours at a time. :blink:
I also didnt like the fact that you had to be right next to an item and facing it almost directly to get the "action" window to appear. I,ve finally left the countryside and gotten into the first city and seem to stuck once more.
I,ve had to resort to a walkthrough for one small step. (Oh the shame... :cry: )
But now I`ve decided to keep going on without one for the rest of the game.
(Needless to say I,m losing sleep over it. *sigh*)

Sebatianos 08-06-2005 03:33 PM

Yeah. Simon 3 was a dissapointment (they should have kept to the 2D perspective).

Guest_Mia 22-06-2005 12:04 PM

Hi everyone! I'm extremely happy that there are some people who I can talk to about this game. I loved Simon 1 and I have been trying to get Simon 2 but unsuccessfully. Do you think it is still on sale on http://www.adventuresoft.com? Can I get it also somewhere else (perhaps cheaper)?
Thanks for reply.

Long live Simon!!

A. J. Raffles 22-06-2005 03:13 PM

Some place like ebay would probably be your best bet, Mia. And yes, as far as I know, all Simon games are still for sale. They're worth paying for, though (at least the first two; I never played the third one).

Guest_Mia 23-06-2005 07:22 AM

Thank you for your advice. Do you think that Simon 3 is too bad? I've seen some screenshots and read some reviews and it doesn't appeal to me at all. Good old days are gone. Is there anyone who would recommend Simon 3?

Mia

A. J. Raffles 23-06-2005 07:26 AM

If I were you, I'd post that question in the 'favourite oldies and newbies' forum. What put me off playing Simon 3 was that it was supposed to be in 3D. And that just sounded wrong to me.

Sebatianos 23-06-2005 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Guest_Mia@Jun 23 2005, 09:22 AM
Do you think that Simon 3 is too bad?
Well I bought the game and played it...
The game is still fun - it has most of Simon's wit, but it's very :sick: at some parts. They wanted to make some sort of action game at some points and I really didn't apreaciate that.
Most of the time I was trying to figure out just where to go next (it's so easy to get disorientated), so I had to use the walkthrough (something I pride mayels of not using during adventure games - the fun is in solving the game yourself - but here I just gave up).
So if you're really a Simon fan - you will enjoy the story (after all Simon 2 did leave off at a point that requires a sequel), which picks up after Simon 2 is finished (more or less), but for the gameplay I give it :not_ok: :not_ok: (and those tumbs should be much bigger).

Guest 06-07-2005 09:42 AM

i just bought simon 3 on ebay i hope its good...

MdaG 06-07-2005 06:26 PM

How come Sordid appears as an old man i Simon 1 and as some kind of monster in Simon 2??????

A. J. Raffles 06-07-2005 07:39 PM

Maybe he had to have plastic surgery after that bath in the fiery pits of Rondor...

Sebatianos 06-07-2005 08:20 PM

If you'd follow the story closels you'd see, that it's only his spirit that survives and he needs a body for that spirit to live in.
His helper makes that mechanical monstrosity for his master, but at the end of the game...

Well that's why they made Simon 3D :not_ok:

aagr 19-07-2005 06:22 AM

Simon the Sorcerer is the best 2d-quest I ever played.

Simon 3D is pretty fun too, don't know why you did not like it.

Guest_Mia 05-08-2005 11:29 AM

Hi everyone,
I bought Simon 1 and 2 at last (version 95/98) but they won't run under XP. The seller told me they will - with compatibility mode. I tried it - no result. I dowlnoaded the patches from adventuresoft.com and tried them. Only Simon 1 ran successfully, Simon 2 didn't. Is there any other way to run it under XP?

Guest_Mia 05-08-2005 11:30 AM

Oh yeah, one more thing: how can I turn the subtitles on in Simon 1?

A. J. Raffles 05-08-2005 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Guest_Mia@Aug 5 2005, 11:30 AM
Oh yeah, one more thing: how can I turn the subtitles on in Simon 1?
Hmm, I'm not entirely sure you can, actually, but if you can there should be an option in the setup menu of ScummVM.

The Fifth Horseman 05-08-2005 12:31 PM

Quote:

Is there any other way to run it under XP?
Try Microsoft Virtual PC.

Guest 14-10-2005 02:54 PM

One of the best Adventures. Itīs funny like the old LucasArts Adventures.
Great graphics for its time.

Vinnyq12 14-10-2005 03:00 PM

I really enjooyed Simon 1 and 2, the only thing that sticks out in my mind that irritates me about it is having to turn the dog into a pair of slippers! So random!

Frodo 14-10-2005 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Vinnyq12@Oct 14 2005, 03:00 PM
I really enjooyed Simon 1 and 2, the only thing that sticks out in my mind that irritates me about it is having to turn the dog into a pair of slippers! So random!
Hush PUPPIES is a famous brand of shoes that has a dog as their logo.
Hence turning the dog into slippers.

:D

A. J. Raffles 14-10-2005 08:33 PM

Ah, yes.:D I also really liked that bit about the Royal Seal...

Sebatianos 14-10-2005 11:09 PM

Yup, the jokes have my seal of aproval :D (even though these are from the second part you know, first part wasn't so funny).

http://www.abandonia.com/~sebatianos...f_approval.gif

Oi, that reminds me, I promised Kosta I'd send in Simon's soundtrack along with the review... I guess I'm running a bit late.

ScytheKnight 02-04-2006 05:18 AM

Well I found a place to get it (and II) and it'll will run under Dosbox OR ScummVM :cheers:

Unfortunetly I can't find a version of the manual with the coppy protection compas (the one at Replacement Docs doesn't have it for some reason), there's a CP crack for running on Dosbox but I'd prefer to run under ScummVM, but I just trip over the CP :cry:

ScytheKnight 02-04-2006 06:36 AM

ARRRGHHHH!!!!!! :pissed:

Gave up trying to get STS1 working on ScummVM(II works fine however, seems to have a built in crack for ScummVM).. but it still won't work even on Dosbox!! Damn thing just loops through Simon reading the letter from Cylipso endlessly.. any time I try to do something it starts the sceen again, and then when I try to skip it it just starts it AGAIN!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH HHHH!!!!!! :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed:

Guest 02-04-2006 07:50 PM

That's why they call that copyright protection - but the real thing and you won't have the problem! :bleh:

Guest 03-04-2006 07:09 AM

Heh, well if I had a credit card I would think about buying official coppies of StS I & II, I wouldn't mind ones with speach packs (the versions I found where the old floppy version for DOS, no voice packs). :angel:

Ahh well, I guess I could always play II (it seems to be working fine) would love to know WTF is going on with I on Dosbox though, now when I skip the into the interface won't display!!! :cry: :eeeeeh:

ScytheKnight 03-04-2006 07:10 AM

ehh.. last post was me BTW. :tomato:

Guest_Virus 11-05-2006 05:52 PM

Man, this game rocks. Can't wait untill I can get the sequels to it. I loved the humor here, especially when they mentioned Tolkein. That was something. The only thing I did dislike is that you can't configure speed, speed of subtitles and stuff like that, but overall, this game rocks my socks.

Guest 28-06-2006 03:30 PM

Love this game :D. Especially StS2... I played it so many times and I never get bored. How sad, that now graphics is most important thing. I love the games made in a cartoon-style.

Guest 29-06-2006 06:58 AM

I have the demo where you can only go to the place to eat stew and theres a cave where I need a password... There is so many options to try but I think its just a gimmick...

Guest_dave_* 13-05-2007 07:18 PM

This and Simon 2 are some of the absolute best games ever made!

Guest 16-06-2007 07:09 AM

Hey, im running this fine on DosBox under Windows XP, but I can't figure out how to save. anyone care to help?

Guest 16-06-2007 07:20 AM

ahh i figured it out. u use the postcard. LOL.

Simon The Naked King 22-09-2010 11:03 PM

I can't believe nobody said this on 7 pages of a topic which expanded through 3 years:
THIS GAME IS A BAD MONKEY ISLAND CLONE, IT HAS NO STORY AND THE CHARACTERS LACK ANY CHARM. MANY OF THE PUZZLES ARE TOTALLY RANDOM AND THE GRAPHICS ARE MEDIOCRE. IT'S DRAWN LIKE A CHILDREN CARTOON, FOR GOD SAKE. Some people say even the sound is a bit annoying. I'm afraid to test it myself.
THIS GAME CAN NOT COMPARE IN GREATNESS TO MONKEY ISLAND 2, APPEARED MORE THAN 1 YEAR BEFORE, AND MANY OTHERS, INCLUDING THE MANIAC MANSION, INDIANA JONES, SPACE QUEST, KING'S QUEST AND LARRY SERIES, therefor its rating of "5 out of 5" is a highly unexplained mystery to me. Probably the only people who get close to this game are the ones who love it.
This is a case of "The Tmperor's New Clothes".
Simon The Sorcerer is a naked King.
Of course not everything in this game is bad, but the obvious rating would be 2 or 3, come on. ;)
I humbly recommend to read this review to all the people posting before me on this thread:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/si...iewerId,48599/

DarthHelmet86 23-09-2010 01:17 AM

You don't like this game, and thats fine, but this game isn't a poor mans Monkey Island, it is its own game. The control setup is the same as the Lucas Arts games but thats cause it is using the SCUMM engine, just like a lot of other games.

Maybe next time you play it, just enjoy it for what it is, and don't think about Monkey Island.

Mighty Midget 23-09-2010 12:25 PM

Simon: You could at least link to more than just one review and even if it has to be one, single review, perhaps not deliberately choosing the one giving the lowest score. The average moby score on the user review list is actually closer to 4 than to 2.5. Try not to be so selective the next time :)

twillight 23-09-2010 01:06 PM

Gzz, some people.

Comparing this to Monkey Island is nonsense. Maye Discworld would suffice with all the sorcery, but still not the same at all. And Monkey Island 2 was BAD. I mean really bad. All the gamers hated it, the series almost got finished because of the hugh dislike it got.

If I'd want to criticise that list further, I'd say Indiana Jones had terrible interface, King's Quest was EGA and the text-based interface I hated (and the later parts were too candy in story), Laisure Suit Larry (whatever the spelling is) could be really blamed for being random and nonsense in the field of puzzles, and Space Quest was just another "Quests of Sierra" clone.
But as I don't want, I'll just leave that on you:bleh1:

ayoeness 23-09-2010 02:59 PM

I liked monkey island 2

Professor Oak 23-09-2010 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twillight (Post 414365)
Gzz, some people.

Comparing this to Monkey Island is nonsense. Maye Discworld would suffice with all the sorcery, but still not the same at all. And Monkey Island 2 was BAD. I mean really bad. All the gamers hated it, the series almost got finished because of the hugh dislike it got.

Monkey Island 2 - LeChuck's Revenge was better, in my opinion than Secret of Monkey Island. Also, Simon the Sorcerer is a very fun game, got to love the voice acting by Chris Barrie. Speaking of which, Simon the Naked King, you do know that the Simon the Sorcerer games were aimed for the teenage demographic of gamers, right?

Evil Bunny 07-11-2012 07:09 PM

I love, love, love this game, its graphics and, above all, its music.

When I discovered this - Enhanced by James Woodcock - an enhancement of MIDI files, I was over the moon!
(I checked the forum rules - this is okay for linking, right?)

The current time is 08:03 AM (GMT)