Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Blah, blah, blah... (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Is Our Space Invaders A Clone ? (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=8652)

swiss 02-01-2006 06:05 PM

look here and tell me what you think of OUR Space Invaders ... Do you think that ours is the original ?

Doubler 02-01-2006 06:22 PM

Aren't all Space Invader games for PC exact clones? Otherwise it would have to be an emulation, right? :unsure:
It might be the same, though...

swiss 02-01-2006 06:37 PM

do you think they didnt make a PC version of SI in 197x ? Just imagine how GREAT it was ... but, well ... who had a PC those days ???

You may be right ... sorry for disturbing ... :whistle:

Danny252 02-01-2006 11:03 PM

It was an arcade game. Arcade machine, pc. I see a difference. heck, they didn't even have consoles then! (I wonder why.)

Taskmaster 03-01-2006 09:24 PM

:D Depending on "when" you are refering to they did have a game console... the Atari 2600. which came out around the 1979 time frame. Not sure exactly when but I had one while I was still in middle school (1979/1980).

The original Space Invaders on the arcade machine was black and white and they placed a color filter on the glass that let the bottom be red and the top blue I think. At least I remember reading that somewhere.

plix 03-01-2006 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Taskmaster@Jan 3 2006, 05:24 PM
Depending on "when" you are refering to they did have a game console... the Atari 2600. which came out around the 1979 time frame.
Space Invaders was first released in 1978, PONG (the first console) was released in 1972. The 2600 also predated SI and was released in 1977.

As for the original topic of the thread: no, OURS is not the original. It says right there on the page linked to that OURS was written for a competition of classic arcade game clones rewritten in BASIC in 1996.

plix 03-01-2006 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by swiss@Jan 2 2006, 02:37 PM
do you think they didnt make a PC version of SI in 197x ? Just imagine how GREAT it was ... but, well ... who had a PC those days ???
The original IBM PC wasn't released until 1981. SI predates it by several years.

Lonely Vazdru 03-01-2006 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Taskmaster@Jan 4 2006, 12:24 AM
The original Space Invaders on the arcade machine was black and white and they placed a color filter on the glass that let the bottom be red and the top blue I think.* At least I remember reading that somewhere.
Yep. That's how it was. Lines of coloured plastic were plastered on the screen so the invaders would change their colour when they went down one line. There were like four or five different plastic lines. Then came Galaxian, with real colours ! That was a shock ! :w00t:

efthimios 04-01-2006 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Lonely Vazdru+Jan 4 2006, 01:54 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lonely Vazdru @ Jan 4 2006, 01:54 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Taskmaster@Jan 4 2006, 12:24 AM
The original Space Invaders on the arcade machine was black and white and they placed a color filter on the glass that let the bottom be red and the top blue I think.* At least I remember reading that somewhere.
Yep. That's how it was. Lines of coloured plastic were plastered on the screen so the invaders would change their colour when they went down one line. There were like four or five different plastic lines. Then came Galaxian, with real colours ! That was a shock ! :w00t: [/b][/quote]
Oh man, I have actualy played with one of them (in the 80s)!!!!
The one that I found fascinating (as an arcade) was Phoinix (sp?) where it was (the first) that had a whole closed cockpit, a screen on the bottom ahead which you could see in a mirror infront of you, though in shrinked for some reason. Also it had a joystic k(or close to that) and speakers around the seat. (for the mono sound LOL)
Ah, man I sucked at that game!

Moppie 08-01-2006 10:32 AM

those 2 are exactly tah same. the filename is also identical: inv78.exe. somehow when I try to move/delete it he says a program has it in use. it doesnt make any sense. I tried to shut down all the processes I could shut down without the system to crash. is it because DOSbox? Im just stuck here with copies that I cant (re)move. :tai:

The current time is 11:21 AM (GMT)