Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Old News (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   Usa Legalizes Obsolete Software? (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=12859)

Kosta 03-12-2006 11:33 AM

http://www.copyright.gov/1201/index.html

Quote:

2. Computer programs and video games distributed in formats that have become obsolete and that require the original media or hardware as a condition of access, when circumvention is accomplished for the purpose of preservation or archival reproduction of published digital works by a library or archive. A format shall be considered obsolete if the machine or system necessary to render perceptible a work stored in that format is no longer manufactured or is no longer reasonably available in the commercial marketplace.[/b]
What do you make of it?

Mighty Midget 03-12-2006 11:45 AM

I'm wondering about this bit
Quote:

Persons making noninfringing uses of the following six classes[/b]

Tom Henrik 03-12-2006 12:03 PM

That is is not sold without the copyright holder's concent.

Make money on someone else's work will always be copyright infringement, unless you have permission.

Treewyrm 03-12-2006 12:26 PM

Very interesting, at least the way it sounds, looks promising perhaps. Although I'm not a lawyer.

Luchsen 03-12-2006 12:36 PM

Quote:

exemption from the prohibition against circumvention of technological measures that control access to copyrighted works[/b]
It is legal to bypass copy protections of "old" games for preservation purposes if you don't violate other laws.

Mighty Midget 03-12-2006 12:40 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom Henrik @ Dec 3 2006, 02:03 PM) [snapback]269982[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

That is is not sold without the copyright holder's concent.

Make money on someone else's work will always be copyright infringement, unless you have permission.
[/b]
But the problem is that copyright infringement doesn't have to mean making money out of it, it can just as well be sharing like AB do. I believe that in the eyes of the law (in this case, the US law), making games available for download without the permission from the copyright holder, is infringement, unless what we read here would mean that we have a three year period of bliss coming.

Luchsen 03-12-2006 12:44 PM

No! It's only about bypassing copy protections. It only refers to "our main business".

Kosta 03-12-2006 02:47 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mighty Midget @ Dec 3 2006, 02:40 PM) [snapback]269990[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

But the problem is that copyright infringement doesn't have to mean making money out of it, it can just as well be sharing like AB do. I believe that in the eyes of the law (in this case, the US law), making games available for download without the permission from the copyright holder, is infringement, unless what we read here would mean that we have a three year period of bliss coming.
[/b]
If what you are stating is true, then I don't really understand what would constitute as a non-infringing use of that rule... Do you have an example?

Mighty Midget 03-12-2006 02:48 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kosta @ Dec 3 2006, 04:47 PM) [snapback]270032[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mighty Midget @ Dec 3 2006, 02:40 PM) [snapback]269990[/snapback]
Quote:

[/b]
If what you are stating is true, then I don't really understand what would constitute as a non-infringing use of that rule... Do you have an example?
[/b][/quote]

No, and that seemingly contradiction is what confuses me.

Luchsen 03-12-2006 04:39 PM

Quote:

Furthermore, the copies can be digital, so long as they are not distributed digitally nor made available to the public in a digital format outside the premises of the library or archives.[/b]

The current time is 10:50 AM (GMT)