Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Blah, blah, blah... (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Where are all these users?? (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=16469)

Doink 11-01-2008 09:18 AM

Where are all these users??

we've now passed 20 000 registered members.

1. why don't we see them in the forum?(there are a few but not that many and you don't need to be a member to download so why join if you're not gonna post?)

2. why the sudden growth? (I know its a new site but like 60-70 new users a day is a little odd)

3. inactive users (for long periods) should maybe be removed from the list.

Icewolf 11-01-2008 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doink
1. why don't we see them in the forum?(there are a few but not that many and you don't need to be a member to download so why join if you're not gonna post?)

These are the lurkers. They rather listen than participating. Some are registered for years and made like 25 posts or so. If somebody is reticent I guess you can't blame him/her for that.
Quote:

2. why the sudden growth? (I know its a new site but like 60-70 new users a day is a little odd)

Reminds me of the number of unemplyed people in germany, but that's another story... :rolleyes:
That is founded in how you count the members. Like bots shouldn't count. The forum is still a building site, so I guess that number will decrease when we're back on top.
Quote:

THAT'S a policy of the site actually. Normal users will never be removed from the board. They might return. I once talked to Kosta personally and he believes that it's better that way. Which is fine, I think.

Romano 11-01-2008 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doink (Post 316030)
we've now passed 20 000 registered members.

Abandonia has 20 000+ visitors daily. 60%+ are first time visitors. If 60-70 new users registered daily it's only about 5%. Not to much at all :rolleyes:

Mighty Midget 11-01-2008 10:02 AM

20.000+? Daily? \o/ :D

Doink 11-01-2008 10:03 AM

thanks for the explanation.
I also registered a few years ago and only made my first post a couple months ago (mainly due to not visiting the site in 2 years)

Just the sudden growth is a bit strange but i suppose it really does't matter:) something like 5000 in a few months.

GTX2GvO 11-01-2008 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doink (Post 316030)

Do keep in mind that an amount of these users are RE-registering.
Some due to not knowing that they already have an account.
Some due to forgetting PassWords and not ask an admin/mod for replacements.
Some due to the fact that when we switched to the new site we had to reactivate our accounts. Some didn't had the respective e-mail addresses anymore. (and needed to be logged IN to tell Admins/mods about that)

An there is EVEN a group of a**h*l*s that use double (or more) accounts to create mayhem on the boards.

Dave 11-01-2008 11:54 AM

You forget that now site and forum are the same thing.
People register here for the forum and for the site, for example, you can play the Abandonia quiz only if you are registered.

Luchsen 11-01-2008 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mighty Midget (Post 316035)
20.000+? Daily? \o/ :D

I would say: 20.000+?! :oh: We had about 100.000 for a long time.

Tulac 11-01-2008 06:17 PM

Nah that was the number of hits, unique visitors are something different.

The Fifth Horseman 11-01-2008 06:21 PM

Quote:

An there is EVEN a group of a**h*l*s that use double (or more) accounts to create mayhem on the boards.
Except the new system makes detecting them much, much easier.
And when we find them, a ban usually follows in next sixty seconds.

Luchsen 11-01-2008 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tulac (Post 316070)
Nah that was the number of hits, unique visitors are something different.

As far as I can remember it was visits. Hits and page views were listed separately. But my memories could be wrong because of the eras that passed by.

Blood-Pigggy 11-01-2008 09:07 PM

I find it strange that so many people don't stick around, sure there are a lot of lurkers, but not many regular members who post a lot.

Romano 11-01-2008 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luchsen (Post 316075)
As far as I can remember it was visits. Hits and page views were listed separately. But my memories could be wrong because of the eras that passed by.

There are 20.000+ visits and 9+ pages visited by each visitors. So we have about 180.000+ hits.
In the last time the problem was Bounce rate! It was 35%+. Bounce rate means that 35%+ visitors come and leave the site immediately. Before redesign bounce rate was bellow 35%.

Doink 23-01-2008 11:55 AM

Though it mite be a good idea for there to be an option to delete your profile in case for whatever reason you have more than one, and the 2nd became disussed. could help in creating more realistic total user numbers.

The current time is 06:17 AM (GMT)