Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Gaming Zone (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   where is my VR helmet? (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=29882)

RRS 31-03-2013 09:43 PM

where is my VR helmet?

While stereoscopy (nicknamed "3D") is the latest fad (...again!), I want something else.

When I was starting my adventure with PCs 20 years ago (not counting playing games earlier with my buddies on their Amigas or C64s), I was seriously interested in 3D computer graphics. Often called "virtual reality", it was different from the prevalent 2D sprites from 8-bit computers. Not only I wanted to play 3D games - I got my 3DStudio certificate before I turned 14.

In order to fully utilize the "virtual reality" effect, those fancy VR helmets were introduced in early 1990s. Expensive gadgets as they were, HMDs were beyond the financial capabilities of average computer users. Yet one could hope that with spreading computer technology, its advancement and reduced unit costs, one day it would be possible to buy a head-mounted display paying as much as for a good joystick or a digitizing tablet (not something everyone owns, but somewhat affordable).

Considering not only recent technical advancements but also their widespread acceptance (only impoverished weirdos like me still using CRT displays) - all those flat lightweight low-energy displays, wireless console controllers et all - I'm unpleasantly surprised that HMDs have yet to become commonplace for gamers (yes, I know that new HMD models were released, but how about the prices? Native game support? How many people use them? etc.)

I recall 20 years ago the problems were: primitive low-res low-refresh display units (don't we have thin, lightweight, stable screens now?) increasing size&weight, heavy power/signal cables (wireless controllers are fairly common today, right? think how batteries in cell phones had shrunk over those 20 years). So most of the problems should be noticeably reduced with today's technology.

I'm not sure if I'd like to play FPS game with that helmet on. But in the context of a flight / racing simulation, where in-game your avatar sits and doesn't run, with hands on controls (joystick/wheel, throttle, pedals), VR Helmet (containing surround headphones) would allow for free looking around. Useful when someone tries to fire at you from your six.

When I was still active in flight simulator community (about 6 years ago), HMDs weren't commonplace even among well-off players (those who could afford extra peripherals such as rudder pedals or throttles), with TrackIR being the ersatz (a device which tracks your subtle head movements to translate them into rotating your view in-game). As you can see, there's a target group for those helmets, those people like to invest in their games (haven't you heard about all those cockpits built at home etc.?).

So, where is my VR helmet? I've been waiting for 20 years, dammit...

TheChosen 31-03-2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RRS (Post 451266)
So, where is my VR helmet? I've been waiting for 20 years, dammit...

Right around the corner!

http://www.oculusvr.com/

Its not yet publicly available though, so I have no idea how well it works really. They got both John Carmack and Valve on board, so they probably have done something right to get some big name support.

Tomekk 31-03-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheChosen (Post 451280)
Right around the corner!

http://www.oculusvr.com/

Its not yet publicly available though, so I have no idea how well it works really. They got both John Carmack and Valve on board, so they probably have done something right to get some big name support.

Yeah, John Carmack has recently started taking VR stuff seriously. Here's him explaining his work so far at E3 2012:

Japo 31-03-2013 10:22 PM

I think VR is one of those technologies that was much anticipated, but long after when it got feasible, it got nowhere, not because it's too expensive, but because people don't really want it. There's just no demand. Pretty much like video phones. They have been offered in the market since decades ago, but nobody's interested. (Of course all that's relative, if it cost $0 demand would be everyone.)

1987, the future was back then: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:S...3D-Glasses.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ic_video_games

There will continue to appear VR gadgets, which is a good thing, and maybe their time will actually come, depending on consumer preferences. Just like so many features of gadgets nowadays had existed in ancient devices that sold terribly.

If you are really interested in getting one of these, you surely have something to choose from. Of course there's no point in blaming other consumers' tastes if there are too few games for it.

RRS 31-03-2013 10:44 PM

I first posted this 9 months ago. Back then there was little info about Carmack's project.

Japo, stereoscopic glasses are like those you wear to watch Avatar in the cinema. I want a head mounted display with motion tracking: if I turn my head back, I see my plane's tail.

If flightsimmers buy this odd TrackIR thing, surely they'd happily replace it with superior HMD that will give them in-game six degrees of freedom - they will no longer need to look into the monitor.

Tracker 01-04-2013 12:11 AM

I can only hope Carmack's VR will be good, other than that, 3D is still a big let down. I've seen a 3D TV, and 3D cinema, not to mention poor old stereoscopic red-cyan glasses. It's not good or not cheap enough for the public yet.

arete 01-04-2013 07:23 AM

Oooh, I can go skiing in the alps without freezing to death!

Eagle of Fire 01-04-2013 08:30 AM

Quote:

not because it's too expensive, but because people don't really want it. There's just no demand.
Yup. Pretty much that.

I will never be satisfied with "3D" until it really become 3D. Anything else until then is a waste of my time, even more of my money.

arete 01-04-2013 03:57 PM

Hmmmm, this is sounding more and more like Larry Niven's Barsoom Project novels.

i must read him again...

Who wants to go see Total Recall with me?*

*Disclaimer: I ain't pain' for the airticket, dayum.

RRS 01-04-2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracker (Post 451294)
3D is still a big let down. I've seen a 3D TV, and 3D cinema

I'm not into "3D movies" fad either.

I want something else. People overuse "3D". Remember when games from the 1980s were called 3D, while they were only isometric? Anything that gave better spatial illusion got this moniker.

* Stereoscopy is the illusion of depth seen on pictures/film (think "Avatar").
This is where you use those two-color glasses.
This is where you still stare at the screen.

It's still like peeking through a keyhole.
What I want is "you're there" experience.
Have you ever seriously played a realistic flight simulator? Situational awareness. The pilot constantly turns his head, looking around for new enemies and tracking known ones. You fly in one direction, but look in another. This is where you need head motion control.

* TrackIR is an ersatz solution. Camera sensor tracks your head movement and translates this to in-game view changes (scaled up, so your small move is sharper in game).
This is where you still stare at the screen.

* Head-mounted display (VR helmet or whatever you call it) is the ultimate solution. The image is projected near your eyes, so you don't look at the monitor. That Oculus thing promises to have such large displays you won't be seeing borders of your visors. Gyro-sensor tracks your head movement and translates this to in-game view changes. Turn back and your avatar in game turns head back.
There are usually two visors, so stereoscopic effect can be achieved as well, but note the difference! Here you have both motion-control AND stereoscopy AND no monitor. This is what I'm waiting for.

Hassialan 16-05-2013 08:37 AM

There is just no interest. About like film telephones.
They have been offered in the business sector since decades back. I got some of them however these quality are so much poor

Tracker 16-05-2013 06:03 PM

Actually, from what I've read so far in the news, this Oculus Rift VR thing is really just getting off, people who are engineers have ordered their own development kits and began experimenting with it - they hooked it up to Team Fortress 2, Half-Life 2 (THE SOURCE ENGINE!) and even Skyrim. It looks appealing to me.
Not to mention hooking it up to Microsoft Kinect!
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Vid...ect-55397.html

Panthro 16-05-2013 08:12 PM

Not sure I'd ever bother with the Oculus Rift (or similar). I don't think that strapping some 3D goggles to your face is really going to be a significant improvement.

I've already tried nvidia's 3D vision, and it can make me feel ill, or get headaches. The 3D effect isn't even that great.

From what I've seen, the Oculus Rift is similar, just with the glasses replaced by a screen in front of your eyes.

A cool gimmick perhaps, but not exactly revolutionary.

Eagle of Fire 17-05-2013 04:52 AM

Especially since it was created like decades ago.

Anything which force me to wear something (glasses, helmet, etc) is not 3D for me anyways.

Tracker 17-05-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire (Post 452733)
Especially since it was created like decades ago.

Anything which force me to wear something (glasses, helmet, etc) is not 3D for me anyways.

Don't tell me you think about Nintendo Virtual Boy. :p Unfortunately, holograms, in sci-fi movie fashion are not currently possible, since there's no material yet that we could project light to in 3D. Until then, I'm with OR, in a year it'll hit the shelves and maybe even my room. :D

RRS 17-05-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hassialan (Post 452701)
There is just no interest.

There was little interest for all those cumbersome "power gloves", right?
Who would like to swing the controller in the air, that sounds imprecise and looks stupid, right?

Lo and behold, Kinect.

========================================

Most of the people who reply on this subject keep mistaking the static stereoscopic display (current reboot of old fad, think watching Avatar in the cinema - I'm NOT talking about this!) with motion tracking display.

Now, motion tracking with static screen is implemented in that TrackIR thing, forcing you to peek on the monitor. If you want to turn around and see who's chasing you in-game, there's no other way than wearing something on your head (even a holodeck like in Star Trek would have limited viewing distance).

Whoever says "little interest" has never been in the flight simulation community. Those people are so dedicated they build custom controllers (like 4-engine throttle levers!), buy expensive rudder pedals ...or even build custom multi-monitor fake cockpits! Don't tell me they wouldn't buy goggles that would enable them to look around the virtual cockpit, checking their six.
Racing simulation fans (who sometimes go as far as buying wheel controllers) would also benefit from motion tracking goggles.

Mind you, stereoscopy in motion tracking goggles is a side effect of having two tiny screens, each in front of your eye. If it was a single screen, there wouldn't be 3D result.

Tracker 17-05-2013 11:50 AM

I need to agree with RRS on this subject. It's a very new technology that is unprecedented. So far what I've heard people who have tried it are very excited and sort of enjoyed the experience.

There's still at least a year until it will be released. I really hope they are not going to jump on the Christmas bandwagon only to ship development kit quality VRs with little to no software support. By the time the first Oculus Rift exclusive titles will be announced it will be ready for mass consumption.

Be sure to check out these links to get an idea of what the Oculus Rift is:

Interview with Oculus Rift Vice President Nate Mitchell Pt. 1

Interview with Oculus Rift Vice President Nate Mitchell Pt. 2

Vireio Perception vs. Oculus Rift - an open letter to Nate Mitchell

Playing Skyrim with Oculus Rift and Kinect

Half-Life 2 on the Oculus Rift

Minecraft in the Oculus Rift

Official News

RRS 17-05-2013 12:53 PM

Trust me, I'm very cautious towards new things. Frankly, I'm not sure if I'll want to play FPS games regularly with motion tracking HMD.

Ever since Quake I've been using keyboard+mouselook control scheme. Looks like the old Doom control scheme (keyboard only) will be reused. Motion tracking HMD (like Oculus) will substitute mouselook, which was used not only for looking, but also for aiming. Are you sure your head is steady enough for those sniper shots?

See? Flight simulations use complex keyboard shortcuts, but otherwise multiple-button joysticks used in conjunction with throttle can give us HOTAS capability - some people play this way even now, so the only change will be beneficial one: no need to use joystick's hat trigger for looking around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOaM3oRvEOY

I'm surprised that so far only MS FSX is being mentioned next to Oculus. They really need to reach the flightsim fans. While less numerous, those people have greater spending power.

Tracker 17-05-2013 04:59 PM

I can imagine Oculus Rift, or Head-Mounted Displays (I didn't know HMD stands for that) being used in FPSes like Full Spectrum Warrior, where aiming is more-or-less separate from looking around. So you could still use your mouse to aim, you would move a crosshair across your vision.
Well, it is only natural that this kind of VR technology would be more than suitable for simulators - the level of immersion is close to real in racing games where you have a steering wheel and pedals like in real cars, especially with force feedback supporting wheels.
Imagine sitting in an AH-64 Apache attack helicopter simulator, firing at targets with the Integrated Helmet and Display Sighting System (IHADSS) - a system which lets you target stuff by looking at them!

RRS 17-05-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracker (Post 452765)
So you could still use your mouse to aim, you would move a crosshair across your vision.

This - or using a handheld motion-tracking controller, similar to Wii Remote, that will serve as your gun (with "run forward", "strafe left" etc. buttons).

Such device requires "hands on controller, eyes off controller" approach.

It's appalling to see all the clueless people on the OculusVR forum... somebody commented "Oculus would be great for chess too" :doh:

Tracker 17-05-2013 10:57 PM

Second Life supports the Rift

So it has begun - with major companies developing for and supporting Oculus Rift, it is only a question of time for the Rift to arrive. Well, Second Life weirdos might not be the people I imagine using OR, but does it matter? The Rift Shall Be Finished. :D

Eagle of Fire 20-05-2013 06:12 AM

Quote:

There was little interest for all those cumbersome "power gloves", right?
Who would like to swing the controller in the air, that sounds imprecise and looks stupid, right?

Lo and behold, Kinect.
Ahem. The Wii is the right example to state here. But even then, it only prove what I was saying: it was already there. They are simply reusing old technologies because there was no interest before.

Like those dance pads for Dance Dance Revolution? If I had to believe every gaming "expert", this was an incredible revolution. Nobody had ever seen this before! Ahem? I had a pad almost identical when I was 6??? That's 20 years ago!

Even then, again, there is the point in which I simply don't care. I could not care less about the Wii remote. All the games I've found the least interesting on the Wii were games which used the remote as an NES controller. And what about Kinect? It is exactly the same thing: I play console games to relax, not to jump around making noise for the neighbors at 2 am!

No interest... That's exactly the reason for me. I know you guys would like to find another reason, but that's exactly that for me. Why try to find a reason which doesn't exist?

RRS 20-05-2013 08:56 AM

My example - Kinect/Wii Remote versus wired gloves - was to counter the "no interest" arguments.

Of course there was little interest when technology was in its experimental stage: buggy, limited, unwieldy, outrageously expensive (you could buy a brand new computer for the price of VR Helmet 20 years ago). But by now the electronics evolved and are faster, lighter & cheaper - this factor changes the customers' interest level, even if the concept had been tried before (with poor results). First cars were inferior to horse carriages, but after their performance was greatly improved they became mainstream...

Personally I have little tolerance for new gadgets, I'm very stubborn when it comes to control scheme (remember when I was seeking for an old keyboard model?), I'm not into this new "video gaming is physical exercise" fad.

Tracker 21-05-2013 10:53 AM

EA more-or-less confirms Dragon Age 3: Inquisition and Battlefield 4 to be developed for the Oculus Rift

Tomekk 21-05-2013 12:05 PM

Since you mentioned Kinect... http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...on/4863-Kinect

Dragon Age 3 for Oculus Rift? Ohh wow, that's really going to make it a good RPG. :p Totally going to help me forget about that the fact that they're ponces and won't even let me be a non-human.

Japo 29-03-2014 11:01 AM

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/8124285440/h89A09E9D/

RRS 29-03-2014 03:01 PM

Yeah, read about it. I'd sooner expect it to be bought by a console maker, but Facebook?? Heck, even Skype would make more sense? (stereoscopic video conferences)

It did lost a bit of "indie" appeal...

florianix 29-03-2014 06:08 PM

Most of those systems result in many people geting sick because of latency and lack of precision of the headtracking systems.

Thats why the castAR system is not exactly a HMD, but an augmented reality system, but nevertheless suitable for applications as described above.

HMDs without headtracking system made it on the market:
- The ZEISS cinemizer
http://www.zeiss.com/cinemizer-oled/en_de/home.html
- and another one by Sony.

We used the Zeiss cinemizer and combined it with an external headtracking system in the company to build a demonstrator for a system without the budget to use original components (military aircraft HMD were out of budget and their use and distribution is limited by several regulations).
However, the headtracker that was good enough to avoid people from getting seasick exceeded the price of the HMD.

The Oculus Rift was not really ready for serious use at that time (and still is as far as I know).

florianix 29-03-2014 06:11 PM

Update: The Zeiss cinemizer has got a headtracker for gaming use.
We didn't use it, however.

The current time is 09:22 PM (GMT)