Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   World Of Xeen Lock Up (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=4797)

enchantedmoons 01-05-2005 09:39 PM

Hi everyone. I downloaded World of Xeen and have tried running it in both DOSbox and VDM sound, but either way I get the same problem---the game freezes during the intro screen when the little lizard guy is crawling into what looks like a spaceship. I'm not sure if this is a sound problem or something else, so I thought I'd post and see if anyone else had the same thing happen to them and what you might have done to get it going.

Thanks for your help!

Tracy :)

Omuletzu 03-05-2005 02:58 PM

Just wanted to add that i also got this error.While the intro crash thingy can be worked around(by pressing ESC), there are random movie flics in the game that cause the game to crash.Also there are some graphical glitches which i have noticed.For instance if i have a tree to my left, if i look towards my right, i see the same tree, if i look forward, i see the same tree.Curious is the fact that i can walk through most game objects, ie tables, chairs, trees, bushes, etc; but not walls, doors.Question is:
Is this normal? Is there some patch to correct these bugs(both graphical and the movie crash?)

Data 03-05-2005 03:32 PM

omuletzu did you use dosbox or plain dos ?

I wonder who is too blame.
the game or dosbox.

Mad-E-Fact 04-05-2005 12:27 PM

I had the same problem with the intros a while ago. When I run them now, however, they work fine. Could it be because of the sound settings you have set for the speech? Both intros use speech, and the one in Darkside starts excatly when the "lizard guy" is walking through his tower... I have set soundblaster for both, speech and music, and though the quality isn't the best, it works at least. ;)

Omuletzu 05-05-2005 12:20 PM

I use pure dos data.Also check the game's discussion forum, as many guests complained there of the same problem...
Only the movie with the dragon skull crashes! The other one plays to the end(when some scroll appears, with a guy's head in the middle).As i said this wouldn't be such a problem if the game wouldn't crash on random in-game movies.Also what's up with the graphical problems? Are they normal? Since this game is so acclaimed i doubt it

Moi 09-05-2005 11:05 PM

I had the exact same problem. And it actually does screw up the Clouds of Xeen intro as well. When I ran it a guy would appear on a scroll, state his name, and then the scroll would be rolled up and the intro would end. It's actually supposed to continue from there a bit.

Anyway, the way I got around this bug was very simple. I ran install and selected sound blaster pro as opposed to plain old sound blaster. For whatever reason it worked for me. You might want to give that a shot.

enchantedmoons 10-05-2005 03:03 AM

Hi everyone. I think you all might be right about the sound issue....I have been running it in VDM sound because I can't get it to run in DOS box, and there are probably settings I need to find and change.

I did finally get the game to run by pressing ESC during the first intro screen, so that was good. Unfortunately, my new problem is that the game freezes up when I try to sign in at the tavern. I'm wondering now after reading all of your posts if this might be a sound problem as well.

I guess I'll fiddle with the sound settings after I find them and see if that takes care of any freezing.

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions, you guys. I appreciate it!

Tracy

samtam90 13-05-2005 04:45 PM

I've found a solution. It's a simple sound problem, so open the install, change configuration (press n when it asks if you want to install with current configuration) and set sound blaster for both music and speech. Now save, exit and run WOX with Vdmsound. It'll work perfectly without locking up :ok:

enchantedmoons 13-05-2005 06:31 PM

Thanks Samtam, I'll give that a shot! :)

Tracy

Lord_Scather 14-05-2005 04:00 PM

I have a different problem:

my Intro works just fine (always liked the bit when the dragon is about to fry the fly and then uses the chemical mace LOL)

But my game locks up when I try to sign in at the tavern (for Character generation)

clicking on the food, rumors,.....works fine, but when I want to leave or Sign up, the game hangs.

This happens under Dos as well as under DOSBox.

Doh.....always liked that game and I WANT TO PLAY IT AGAIN. So plz help!!!
:ranting:

The current time is 11:17 PM (GMT)