Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Tech Corner (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   My strategie for beating MS DEATH (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=17363)

Bp103 10-06-2008 07:02 AM

My strategie for beating MS DEATH

Ms Death is when Windows just dies for little or no reason and you lose all your vulnerable data.
*new windows health hazard "SP3" update*

How I found my way of beating MS Death.

I was bored one day and i decided to play around with instigating windows errors on a older desktop computer (ie. corrupting binary files, random deleting, ect.) just trying to cripple it then steal its walking stick basically. then i tossed a small hard drive (about 20GB) along with the original hard drive (60GB) and killed windows once again on the 20gb hard drive. 2 years later i got that same computer out of my closet and installed windows on it again then i installed sp3 on it then bsod *what a shocker* once i have installed windows again i saw all the stuff that I have installed to the 60gb hard drive was ok and working fine. but the stuff on the 20GB hard drive was all dead.

So in a nut shell just put windows on a small hard drive (I would not go less then 5GB) and put all your important stuff on a different hard drive without windows on it. its better than a backup and saves allot of space and headaches in the long run.

it might work the same way with partitions too but i just don't trust it.:notrust:

dosraider 10-06-2008 10:07 AM

Congratulations, now you just need to invent hot water again.

BTW, partitioning your HD works 100%.
:)

D4NG3R 10-06-2008 10:26 AM

Nice work :O

I had this once to ;) now im using the same trick as you (im doing it for like 6 months now)
i putted all the windows data ect on a small (older) drive of 10gb,
and the rest (vunerable data like documents) on a 250gb drive :D worked fine for me on the last system crash i had (last month just after i installed SP3, but i found a little patch to make SP3 available :o)

thanks again for the reminder ;)

Japo 10-06-2008 04:20 PM

That's what I did (with partitions since I had one disc only) in my old Win98 machine. However my current XP one isn't partitioned since the HD is single partitioned as I bought it, because my current strategy for beating Windows death is not killing Windows myself--so far so good, two years and just like new at top performance. ;)

By the way when partitioning, be sure to do it in a way supported by the OS you'll install, preferably with the tools provided by the OS's own installer, or even it won't hurt to take the time to check for HD errors once after the partition. I suffered a couple of instances of very bad and faulty performance between reformat-partitions with Win98, and they weren't due to the fact that Win98 sucked, alone. HD errors needn't be hardware-based. Sometimes you'd partition your HD with one of those Linux-based beta freebies (or with famous PartitionMagic like I did), then install Windows uneventfully, and everything seems fine. But crashes etcetera happen from time to time, and if you care to check for HD errors you find some. Then you reformat-partition properly, and the same disc now has no errors.

Eagle of Fire 11-06-2008 12:25 AM

I still use Windows XP SP1.

*Gasp!* No problems ever! I wonder why... :rolleyes:

Bp103 11-06-2008 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire (Post 328534)
I still use Windows XP SP1.

*Gasp!* No problems ever! I wonder why... :rolleyes:

Same here, If it works don't fix it. :)

dosraider 11-06-2008 10:48 AM

Aslong as you're happy with that, why not.
My mother is still on W98SE, and she's also happy.
So, why not?

And of course, when you're on a pirated XP you need extra compy skills to get the updates installed correctly ........... :cheesy:

Kugerfang 11-06-2008 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dosraider (Post 328558)
Aslong as you're happy with that, why not.
My mother is still on W98SE, and she's also happy.
So, why not?

And of course, when you're on a pirated XP you need extra compy skills to get the updates installed correctly ........... :cheesy:

My dad stole our version of XP from his office. :D

Scatty 11-06-2008 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dosraider (Post 328558)

Not when you're on a pirated corporate edition of XP Pro :p

Icewolf 11-06-2008 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scatty (Post 328564)
Not when you're on a pirated corporate edition of XP Pro :p

...with an Enterprise License...

The current time is 09:34 AM (GMT)