Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Games Discussion (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Colonization (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=93)

blastradius14 19-06-2005 08:19 PM

If you want to never die, build a city on a square completely surrounded by ocean.
The war cannot end for you, giving you time to continue building up your military for an offensive rush on the tories. Also gives you time for Foreign Intervention.

The Col Edit utility is awesome. You can get it here http://www.colonization.biz/download.htm.

or here
http://www.civgaming.net/col2/col2dwn.shtml

Grand Dad 20-06-2005 03:41 PM

I've been enjoying reading all the new posts since I last visited this site and they're all so interesting...some even funny.
Yes there's one tiny mountainous island, but my friend where are you going get the resources to build up or expand your city or your empire?...you can get some ore and food by fishing but wood is the most essential item and what and how much can one colonist, two if you make your soldier do a colonit's work do,...unless you just stay there through out the game :D Sure no one can attack you, not even your mother country...sure is an interesting idea :blink:

I've always found that it's better to play as English...you get more colonists free + you get more crosses.
You can build as many colonies as you can afford but defending them becomes an extremely difficult task 10-15 are ideal...at least that's what I have discovered during these past 11 or so years :ok:

Sure you can keep on playing long as you want...just keep on fighting and losing...but then all the fun goes down the ocean :bleh: The whole OBJECT of the game is to achieve independance! In Civ III and it's two expansions I really wonder how our friend managed to extend the time limit, anyway you're told, when the game is finished 'officially' that you can play but no points will be added to your score...!

Happy Gaming!

blastradius14 20-06-2005 07:00 PM

Isn't there an island up north of Hudson Bay? Normally it has a Iroquois settlement on it I think.

On Discoverer, you can plow one of the artic squares at the bottom of the map on a random map for 4 or 5 food. I have even seen some with two fish.

Trade routes are not hard to set up...

A cheap thing I found is the map editor has a document that allows you to change the prices of veteran soldiers (and the other master craft people) at the docks in europe. Just make it so soldiers are dirt cheap and buy wood and tools.... LOL

But what's the fun in that?

blastradius14 21-06-2005 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Camulos@May 28 2005, 05:03 AM
Just to clarify:

The "!" marks over the indians do NOT change colour according to how annoyed they are... the colour represents WHICH country they are annoyed at, blue for French, red for English etc.

They can be annoyed at more than one nation at a time, and so all you can see is the one that they most dislike.

Obviously the more "!!!" the more angry they are.

I recommend everyone to get some scouts going as soon as possible, the indians will soon train them up to seasoned, and if you find the incas and astecs you can make a fortune sending your scouts to collect their beads.

Also, starting as the English for a higher difficulty setting is pointless, as all you will receive at the docks is criminals and servants.

You are WRONG!!!!!!!!!!! My proof: there is no GREEN player. Though you can MAKE yourself green, in the text files of the map editor. This often though will manage to override itself, especially during the war of independence

The color is often highlighted outside of the ! for foreign powers, and the actual ! is what degree of anger they have for you. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in green means you have too many cities around them at minimal threat. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in red means you have 10+ troopers in at least one city less than 5 squares away. The indians can be red at the dutch. trust me.

And whoever asked the max amout of units it tells you when you reach it. Its 255 units for EVERYONE. this means if you kill all of the indians, and have 240 units, there are 15 units that the other three computers can have...

Do I spend too much time playing this game? If I know about max units and talk about having one colony... anybody think that these two are connected? :whistle:

Doc Adrian 21-06-2005 11:15 AM

What level of difficulty do you like to play at Blastradius?

blastradius14 21-06-2005 06:10 PM

When I'm just goofing around its on either discoverer or explorer. Though I have beaten it on all difficulties. It starts to get challenging if you play viceroy with one city, at max you can have only 4 starting food without a wheat square. (If you are using a one square city) :D

anybody know what a almost perfect cycle setting is for col? I can't seem to fanagle it to perfection. I think its somewhere inbetween 500 and 1000 cycles.
Maybe some frameskip would be good, but it makes the game much choppier over 5

I have a
AMD 1.56 GHz processor
384 mb ram
64 mb Nvidia geforce MX 4000
WIN98

my only problem running it without dosbox is sound, as I have a AC97 audio. This sucks for Colonization sound

Grand Dad 23-06-2005 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by blastradius14@Jun 20 2005, 07:00 PM
Isn't there an island up north of Hudson Bay? Normally it has a Iroquois settlement on it I think.

On Discoverer, you can plow one of the artic squares at the bottom of the map on a random map for 4 or 5 food. I have even seen some with two fish.

Trade routes are not hard to set up...

A cheap thing I found is the map editor has a document that allows you to change the prices of veteran soldiers (and the other master craft people) at the docks in europe. Just make it so soldiers are dirt cheap and buy wood and tools.... LOL

But what's the fun in that?

Welll...I don't seem to have seen any 'map editor', there's of course the 'customize your world' option but where is the map editor? It'll be a lot easier to get cheaper vetran soldiers, statesmen, preachers etc.

There's no limit on the number of soldiers once the war starts :bye:

Sharina 24-06-2005 04:35 AM

Hiyas guys.

I went and finally done it. I finally beat Colonization with my attempt at "mega" like I stated a week ago. I'm not sure if I can post screenshots here or not? Could someone let me know about that?

At any rate, I managed to create a truly massive empire, in excess of 20+ colonies, as well as having several hundred thousand dollars before I won the War of Independence. I can walk away from my "mega-game" of Colonization quite satisfied. :bye:

If I can post some screenshots, I think I could try to post a few shots of my empire, and perhaps I can go back and do some fun screenshots with the stuff I already have in that game. :max:

MadMarius 01-07-2005 08:52 PM

and I feared that i will miss the date of the revolution!..those fiteworks are preetii!!
some Q & A
Do not start a revolution with at least 3 fortresses because you're dead meat without them
Many Veterans!
MANY canons
many warships!!
^ make many..
Can't i kill that Fat Bastard that makes me kiss his pinkie every time he raises the taxes? :ranting:
did anywone reached to the top of those rating list?
i got to a Famous prison.. :evil:

Microprose Veteran 02-07-2005 01:15 AM

Getting the highest rating is relatively simple. You just need a lot of patience to sit through the War of Independence.

Fortresses, cannon and ships etc. are all secondary.

The most important asset in any war is: Dragoons, muskets and horses.

The fastest way to get fresh horses to the frontline is to turn them into scouts instead of loading them onto wagons.

During the War of Independence, if you attack the king's troops while both units are outside a colony, you gain the terrain ambush bonus added to your unit's attack bonus! So it's advisory not to cut those trees that are next to your colony and the sea. If the king's troops land in a forest, you get a big ambush bonus if you attack them while your own units are also outside the colony. Ideally, the king's troops should land on a hill or a mountain... :D

With enough horses you can cut down those invading royal troops with little problem. Only drawback is the War of Independence becomes really boring.

Highest rating is A Continent.

The current time is 09:03 PM (GMT)