Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   dosbox guide help (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=16003)

Aaron 28-10-2007 03:38 PM

im on step 1.3 and when i type CD NCinst it switches to C:\NCINST> and then i typed install and it says install is an illegal command what to do now?

_r.u.s.s. 28-10-2007 04:38 PM

type in dir and tell what it says

The Fifth Horseman 28-10-2007 06:59 PM

Three possibilities: you didn't unpack the archive with Norton Commander at all, unpacked it the wrong way (or to a wrong place), or you downloaded the disk images instead of the archive (which happened to somebody else before, if memory serves me right).

Just as _r.u.s.s said, use DIR inside the NCINST directory to check what you've got in there.

Guest 19-11-2007 02:07 AM

i'm somewhat having the same problem, so i'll do my best to explain it step by step. I open the files and extract them to my oldgames folder. then when i check in the folder all i have are image files and i have no idea what to do. please help.

gregor 19-11-2007 05:40 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Nov 19 2007, 04:07 AM) [snapback]319536[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

i'm somewhat having the same problem, so i'll do my best to explain it step by step. I open the files and extract them to my oldgames folder. then when i check in the folder all i have are image files and i have no idea what to do. please help.
[/b]

what game?

Dosbox has a readme file where you can easilly find how to mount the image.

The Fifth Horseman 19-11-2007 06:17 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Nov 19 2007, 04:07 AM) [snapback]319536[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

[/b]
If you get IMG files from the Norton Commander archive, you have downloaded the wrong one. Use this one.

Rogue 20-11-2007 01:44 PM

You don't have to run install/setup utility for all games found at Abandonia, but it is a good practice to make sure all settings are set correctly.

Easiest way to find what EXE or BAT files you can run is by pressing tab key in DOSBox. (it will circle trough files in current directory)

What DOSBox guide are you following??

The Fifth Horseman 20-11-2007 02:39 PM

He's following the guide I posted in the sticky thread at the top of this forum. Setting up Norton Commander is part of the whole thing, because it makes basic things like moving in the directory structure and running executables much easier than the command line.

Rogue 20-11-2007 03:01 PM

Thanks for reply.

I never used norton commander, as I never had any problems with DOS file management.

Why do you need norton if you can have direct access to files trough windows??

The Fifth Horseman 20-11-2007 05:52 PM

Easier navigation in them when you can't use Windows file manager (which sucks anyway).

The current time is 05:28 PM (GMT)