Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Blah, blah, blah... (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   To Gain Respect... (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=3244)

taikara 18-02-2005 01:29 AM

Watching the progression of this particular section of the forum, I've been wondering recently what everyone thinks about this issue.

I personally feel that to gain respect, you must give it first. Also, you must be willing to put others before yourself. You may be brilliant, but you can share in someone else's brilliance by helping them grow into their own. In that way, both you, and your community becomes stronger. In some ways, encouraging differences allows the whole to be stronger. Emphasizing divisions only leads to fracture. A house divided will fall, after all...

But perhaps my own beliefs on respect aren't shared by this community. I am curious as to what others think about this.

Please, contribute your own thoughts here as well, if you have any you'd like to share.

xoopx 18-02-2005 02:27 AM

talk softly and carry a big stick

punch999 18-02-2005 02:30 AM

definatly contribute to the site and members that always works but what makes it even better is giving others respect and showing your a nice guy/girl

Fawfulhasfury 18-02-2005 02:52 AM

Give respect, and you will gain it. And if that doesn't work, beat the living crap out of em. :evil: All right, if #1 don't work, try helping people. :whistle:

Kon-Tiki 18-02-2005 04:01 AM

Be more than that you show you are, but never let the limits shimmer through. Use those things to help others out whenever it's needed. If you've done well, you can just stay silent 'bout it, as others'll talk 'bout it. That way, you'll gain respect of those worth gaining respect from.

FlightorFight 18-02-2005 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Fawfulhasfury@Feb 17 2005, 06:52 PM
Give respect, and you will gain it. And if that doesn't work, beat the living crap out of em. :evil: All right, if #1 don't work, try helping people. :whistle:
I agree that you have to give respect to gain it. Although I'm not sure you should resort to beating them. Then again... :butcher:

wendymaree 18-02-2005 06:13 AM

This is an interesting topic, Taikara. I'm glad you opened it. One of the options mentioned, the one about giving respect before you receive it, is so true. If I meet someone who is respectful and kind - and can be forgiving/understanding even after I make my usual round of mistakes - then I think they're awesome. I couldn't ask for anything more from anyone.

taikara 18-02-2005 06:29 AM

Thanks, Wendy.

I think you're awesome! :wub: :D

And I couldn't agree more.

Actually, everyone's said really awesome stuff.

Well, minus beating the crap out of people.... :whistle: :Titan: :angel: :D

Kon-Tiki's words were very poetic! Beautifully put. :)

Stroggy 18-02-2005 06:36 AM

First off you need to make others know that YOU are better than THEM. Instant respect.

Seriously, respect is such a 'gansta' word. We all just live along here on the forum and we like eachother more or less for who they are. If you show knowledge and care for the good of they site people will hold you in higher regard. Its simple really.

wendymaree 18-02-2005 06:44 AM

Good point, Stroggy. But even if someone shows how clever and knowledgable they are, but yet makes others feel bad about themselves, then I suspect if they really know anything.

The current time is 12:39 PM (GMT)