Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Old Suggestions (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=144)
-   -   Abandonia's current status and future: Questions and Answers (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=18509)

Mighty Midget 03-01-2009 03:37 PM

Abandonia's current status and future: Questions and Answers

I just wanted to have an open topic where we could get all the facts about where AB stands now.

There seems to me to be a lot of "second-hand" truths out there, hear-says, which are clogging up the issue.

One thing that remains unclear due to contradictionary statements, is whether AB has been paid for or not. Surely it can not possibly have been paid for while at the same time not have been paid for. That would be logically impossible.

There are all these questions regarding AB now and ahead I feel there are too many answers to to make sense, or too many theories and worried ideas, not so much about simple facts.

One word: This topic will be STRICTLY about Abandonia as a Site, and NOT about people, whoever they are. I'm no mod, but I ask the moderators/admins to trash any posts that are pointing at certain members instead of the facts regarding this SITE..

I want this to be an open topic for all to see, so that every member can see for themselves what's going on.

As for the posts themselves, well, I hope someone can start by telling what the status is on ownership and covering the costs. Just remember, a thing can't possibly be and not be at the same time. It will become glaringly obvious if someone's posts result in an arguement whether or not a statement is true. Stick to what you KNOW are FACTS, and if necessary, provide some evidence to back it up if anyone question your statements.

_r.u.s.s. 03-01-2009 03:47 PM

my source is a personal message from Romano explaining what happened, you might not believe it (some paranoid of you there), but i think he is the closes person to Kosta, they were together on holidays and has no reason to lie or whatever

i was told that what happened is that Kosta left abandonia because he had to move in his life, he has a full time job, a girl, etc, he just did not have time to work on this site anymore (and i don't blame him, neither nobody should)

so now you might be wondering who the hell paid for the server and who's the owner. it wasn't nor Romano neither Kosta, the server was paid by studentis. i don't know contract details but i thinik that abandonia as a comunity is profitable from ads, that's why they keep it (or not? i don't konw)

this is by the way what Romano meant by "anarchy", that we don't have anyone above us, there is no Kosta because he left and never comes back, we are on our own

but as Romano left, he nominated David for site admin and Dave said that he has some server access and there will probably be an option to develop the site and maybe we'll be able to fix bugs, so there's also some good news

Dave 03-01-2009 04:50 PM

Well, all site's admins have those access, but you know we aren't expert programmers.
It's still a miracle that we can edit the forum and make some improvements...so first we will finish with forums and we will work on the crew, after that we could start thinking about it.

Mighty Midget 03-01-2009 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David86 (Post 346785)
Well, all site's admins have those access, but you know we aren't expert programmers.
It's still a miracle that we can edit the forum and make some improvements...so first we will finish with forums and we will work on the crew, after that we could start thinking about it.

Ok, this is someting solid to work on.

What about this: Start a recruitment among our members, people who aren't aware of all this may have the skills we need. Would it be considered spam if AB sent out a mail to each of our members (or thereabout), asking if anyone out there are skilled at whatever it is we need? Or, should we put up a post on our front page, asking people to apply for these positions? We could then choose those we trust will do the best job for AB.

Japo 03-01-2009 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mighty Midget (Post 346786)
Would it be considered spam if AB sent out a mail to each of our members

unsolicited email = spam :/

IMHO anyone that cares enough to do voluntary work, will learn about this on his own.

BTW if you need help badly, I can help, although I'm no expert, but I could.

I also think the forums are more appropriate than the shoutbox. That is what is to be discussed openly, because then there are the staff forums. The shoutbox is for small talk, it's a bad format to inform or to discuss with the users, and if you didn't want to broadcast the info you wouldn't be using the public shoutbox to start with.

I of course have no priviledged information. Anyway AFAIK nobody else has, including the admins (!), nobody except Kosta HIMself and NObody else. (Understood?)

Since Romano has been mentioned already, I'll say that he stated, when he posted his Christmas pictures with Kosta, that they had not discussed Abandonia. You're free to believe his lies though, it won't change the heart of the situation. But he sure has no more right to "nominate" admins than the latest newbie. I'm done commenting Romano, since it's off topic, and I don't really want to any more, but I just want to make it crystal clear that I do not believe anything Romano said or will say.

The situation has been immovably the same since the site "upgrade" and Kosta's disappearance. Abandonia.com is hosted at Studentis:

http://whois.domaintools.com/abandonia.com

Studentis is obviously providing the hosting, since the site remains on line. But nobody has paid for any number of years in advance. Why? Because that kind of thing simply never happens, that's not how hosting works. Besides AFAIK Studentis doesn't pay an extern hosting provider, they're the ones with the server themselves, only they'll have costs out of it. It is possible however, almost sure I'd say, that there was a compromise from Studentis to pay for host the site during a certain period. (Anyway Studentis hasn't honoured all its compromises I think--concerning server hardware.)

As for the exact terms of the contract between Kosta and Studentis, we can't know the details if Kosta won't tell us. But we could safely guess that it must include a compromise of hosting AB during a period of time. We don't know how long, maybe four years, maybe not. (And after that period Studentis might decide take the site off line even if we finally manage to make it well again?)

As I said, I think the staff definitely ought to contact Studentis. AFAIK they're onto it, as well as other matters. I think they should establish the same level of contact Kosta had, since Kosta has left Abandonia indefinitely. And full access. Then the site could function normally again, which includes the pages themselves being fixed, and stopping this derangement. (There will always be forum drama, we just have to make sure there's an abandonware site behind it.)

The Fifth Horseman 03-01-2009 05:11 PM

Quote:

But he sure has no more right to "nominate" admins than the latest newbie.
David was given site admin permissions a long time before, as he needed them to help users who encountered the "disappearing PoE" bug.

Dave 03-01-2009 05:14 PM

And to update OwList and other ;)

Japo 03-01-2009 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman (Post 346789)
David was given site admin permissions a long time before, as he needed them to help users who encountered the "disappearing PoE" bug.

I know, I haven't said anithing against that, and I certainly consider David apt for the position, and we all know more than one active admin is necessary. I was talking about other member, whose name I needn't repeat...

Mighty Midget 03-01-2009 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mighty Midget (Post 346775)
One word: This topic will be STRICTLY about Abandonia as a Site, and NOT about people, whoever they are. I'm no mod, but I ask the moderators/admins to trash any posts that are pointing at certain members instead of the facts regarding this SITE..

Thank you.

Eagle of Fire 03-01-2009 10:45 PM

Quote:

word: This topic will be STRICTLY about Abandonia as a Site, and NOT about people, whoever they are. I'm no mod, but I ask the moderators/admins to trash any posts that are pointing at certain members instead of the facts regarding this SITE...
It's easy: we know nothing, nothing changed, it is still working like it was before.

What more is there to add?

Is it new that we don't know for how long the servers are paid for? No.

Is it new that we are on our own since Kosta left several months ago? No.

Is it new that we still don't have full power to do with the site as we please? I'd hope that David have some answers to us since he just revealed himself as the "nominee", but so far from what he said I'd have to say: No.

I, too, would like to have answers instead of speculation. That would be a lot of time saved instead of wasted.

The current time is 02:17 PM (GMT)