Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Games Discussion (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Warcraft - Orcs and Humans (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=3034)

Kon-Tiki 10-02-2005 12:28 AM

Warcraft - Orcs and Humans

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Download and Review (if available)

Canadianmonk3y 10-02-2005 01:38 AM

Welcome to no unit AI. Hehehe... I remember how much micro you have to do to get your units to fight when I played the game last summer.

gildedgirth 10-02-2005 02:58 AM

I remember buying this game after playing Dune II to death. Finally, we all thought, there is another game like Dune II, and we proceeded to play this game to death as well. It's funny to think though, at the time, we also all thought of Warcraft as a simple Dune II clone and and Blizzard as minor gaming company, only capable of making clones of other games. Not much in the game was original besides the theme and setting and played pretty much like Dune II. It seemed to me at the time, they just wanted to capitalize on the popularity of Dune II and the the small and emerging RTS market.

Little did we realized Blizzard would grow to such heights and become a premier gaming company with many hits, but I still think, after all these years, if you first play Dune II, and then Warcraft I, you'll see more similarities than not. You have to remember Dune II was the only PC RTS game around at the time so comparison would inevitably happen. Anyway, Warcraft is a very fun game and in Warcraft II, will see Blizzard finally adding more polish and some cool ideas.

ALthough this does make me wonder about Blizzard, it seems they excel at polished games from already proven concepts rather than coming up with totally new ideas? Diablo = Rogue clone, Warcraft/Starcraft = Dune II clones, WoW = Everquest/MMORPG's clones... Have they made a totally original game? Not to take anything away from Diablo, any gaming company could learn a thing or two about making a game polished, playable and with good production values like Blizzard does.

Durak 10-02-2005 03:10 AM

No way Blizzard gave this classic up! What a great game, I remember making hoards of skeletons that were unstopable. Warcraft 2 will stay my favorite Warcraft though ^_^.

DiamondSoul 10-02-2005 03:29 AM

:w00t: Ooooh, awesome awesome game, this is a real jewel, I highly recommend. Such a feeling of nostalgia!

My tips for the game:

-Archers are great for both defence and offence. When attacking with archers, form a perfect line with them and slowly move them to level the entire base.
-Keep a healer (if playing with humans) at the back of your line to heal any wounded. No unit regeneration in this game.
-Have a few fast units in your group to scout ahead quickly for catapults.
-If the level allows it, tech to Daemon as fast as possible :evil:

Apoorva 10-02-2005 04:10 AM

When I try running this on DOSBox it comes up with:

"Please run SETUP.EXE to properly configure WARCRAFT for your system"

I already went to the settings and put it on NO SOUND but it still came up with the same error. Please help, thanks.

Apoorva

Kon-Tiki 10-02-2005 04:22 AM

Hmmm... I remember testing one game that gave alot of trouble under DosBox, but worked fine for Win98, Dos and XP. Lemme test this. Hold on...
Woops. 't Is this one. Setup messes up under DosBox. Lemme adjust that on the main page :whistle:

Melchior 10-02-2005 04:50 AM

I was wondering when a website like Abandonia would put this classic for download.

I remember the old days...

Mardi-Gras 10-02-2005 06:42 AM

Every day, in every way, this site gets better and better.

Such a great game, this, both for the playability and the nostalgia value. Nice one, Kon-Tiki, fantastic work.

ultranewbie 10-02-2005 08:37 AM

this is the first game i REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted!

way to go abandonia! :w00t:

The current time is 09:36 AM (GMT)