Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Blah, blah, blah... (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Abandonia memories (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=18358)

Dino 11-12-2008 07:23 PM

Abandonia memories

Recent events on this board somehow got me thinking about old times of Abandonia. Old times when this place was much more visited and people enjoyed it much more.

This thread may be more suitable to long-term members, but may also be interesting for new members who can taste a bit of Abandonia's history.

So, my question to you is... What are the greatest memories you cherish from this board? Funny moments, sad moments, interesting moments, interesting people, whatever you remember.

My answer straight from my mind: Indignus IV's revolution thread, Titan's avatar, Cheesegrater's "The Pope is dead" thread... I'm sure more of them will pop-up eventually. :)

Scatty 11-12-2008 07:38 PM

Indignus was a source of much fun I think, but like everything else that's not overly serious in here he was pretty much hunted off the forum. Quite a loss for the mood on the site, if you ask me.

The ancient Jokes thread here in 3x Blah comes also into my mind as a place of many a laughter, especially when the pictures began to replace the text jokes. Then there were the half-serious Admin Wars between Tom Henrik and Titan during the now long forgotten days of Abandonia. Only very few who're still visiting here would remember them now, and even many of the longest-term members who are still here weren't there yet.

Romano 11-12-2008 07:41 PM

For me it was when we have first serious fight here. Three most influential members at that time: Kosta, Tom, and Titan have after that meeting in Sweden, and decided to allow Dissidents forums. To be a member in this forum was a great joy for me :D

Sebatianos 11-12-2008 07:51 PM

Ah... memories...

I guess seeing my first review being placed on the site, was a nice point... but the high point was deffinetly the First International Abandonia Meeting in Zagreb :)

But there have been many interesting people.
Stroggy, R. Havell, Wendymarrie, Yamcha, The Unknown Hero, Einherjar...

And things that happened?
The hype when we reached 1000 reviewed games :) That was an update :)

And posts, I just can't forget Romano's post on Snail mail... and exchanging postcards in real life.

SlowCoder 11-12-2008 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebatianos (Post 344605)
And posts, I just can't forget Romano's post on Snail mail... and exchanging postcards in real life.

Wow! You guys actually communicated outside the site? That's what I call a community!

Dino 11-12-2008 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowCoder (Post 344606)
Wow! You guys actually communicated outside the site? That's what I call a community!

Not only that. We actually had a few meetings, the largest of which was one in Zagreb. Where did that topic and those pictures go anyway? :(

And how could I forget my old buddy from Split - Unknown Hero. It was lot of fun doing those translation megaupdates. We got lots of things rolling along with our colleagues from croatian crew.

And Einherjar... Hehe, it was pretty entertaining watching him and Seb argue. :)

Sebatianos 11-12-2008 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowCoder (Post 344606)

Check it out :)
Snail Mail
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dino (Post 344608)
And Einherjar... Hehe, it was pretty entertaining watching him and Seb argue. :)

Not as fun as the Stroggy - Anubis fights about the Flag of Israel :)

Scatty 11-12-2008 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebatianos (Post 344609)
Not as fun as the Stroggy - Anubis fights about the Flag of Israel :)

Hmm strange, somehow I don't remember those fights...
Few members here would probably remember Kiddiarni and his dancing-banana-smilie spam fests during the time when the rules on the forum weren't that strict yet http://ugly.plzdiekthxbye.net/small/s000.gif A shame what happened between him and Kosta...

Sebatianos 11-12-2008 08:13 PM

Yeah... those fights were in a shade of some other events... it was at a time an Admin has lost his powers... I guess more people would remember that one :)

Kiddi... never really got to know him... Although I met him on AR, but I think he got banned from there too... never did follow the sister site much...

Anyway, another thing sprung back to mind...
Remember Tom's Cartoon Intro music thread? That one was really nice :)

Tulac 11-12-2008 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dino (Post 344608)

And how could I forget my old buddy from Split - Unknown Hero.

Heh I saw him at a concert about a year ago, we were both to drunk to engage in any meaningful conversation.

There were nice threads at time, everything was nes, many new people that would later become old farts here joined a month or two after I joined. Things were moving then, and abandonia was growing super fast, but everything reaches a plateau sooner or later. Hope we can make this place shine again, and stop this whole bickering and fighting, it didn't solve anything the last time either.

Dino 11-12-2008 08:51 PM

I don't recall Tom's cartoon music intro thread, but I remember lots of nice threads in art section. If I'm not mistaken those were mainly posted by our Italian friend TheVoid.

I remember problems with Kiddiarni, but one thing I don't remember and now it's bugging me. Scatty, refresh my memory and tell me what was your old nickname. Yeah, THAT one. :)

@Tulac: I sincerely hope it will get it's old shine back again.

Sebatianos 11-12-2008 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tulac (Post 344620)
Heh I saw him at a concert about a year ago, we were both to drunk to engage in any meaningful conversation.

That reminds me of Victors drunken visit to Abandonia :)
He claimed something's wrong with his CD drie and that he fixed it...
Next day he realized, he broke it off because it wouldn't close :)

Dino 11-12-2008 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebatianos (Post 344623)
That reminds me of Victors drunken visit to Abandonia :)
He claimed something's wrong with his CD drie and that he fixed it...
Next day he realized, he broke it off because it wouldn't close :)

Hahaha, didn't know about that. That story is priceless. :D

Scatty 11-12-2008 09:31 PM

I think I remember that one :laugh:
The Art section was certainly very alive back then, though it remained that for quite a time still up until now. Though I don't visit it really anymore, I think it went quiet after WendyMaree stopped to be a mod there and left the site, which is a shame in itself. Just to remember the most active members there - TheVoid, Fawfulhasfury, Tom Henrik... hmm.. can't remember many more just now.

Tulac 11-12-2008 09:34 PM

Yeah what was your old nickname dude? I didn't even know you were a member before jan 2006. :p

Scatty 11-12-2008 09:45 PM

I think a story of an admin whose account was deleted by Tom Henrik, which cause a bit of boom back then, should tell you a bit :)

Dino 11-12-2008 09:50 PM

It's so weird refreshing our nice memories here whilst knowing that all hell breaks loose in the Chatbox. :D

Scatty 11-12-2008 09:57 PM

Well for a chance it's a nice change of pace from watching all this bickering going on. Actually memories are always something important, not only to remember from, but also to learn from them how things can get better again.

Dino 11-12-2008 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scatty (Post 344630)
Well for a chance it's a nice change of pace from watching all this bickering going on. Actually memories are always something important, not only to remember from, but also to learn from them how things can get better again.

I agree completely. This is exactly what got me thinking and motivated me to make this thread.

Sebatianos 11-12-2008 10:00 PM

And a great idea it was OvErLoRd... damn, you weren't kidding that that's hell to type :)

Tulac 11-12-2008 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scatty (Post 344628)
I think a story of an admin whose account was deleted by Tom Henrik, which cause a bit of boom back then, should tell you a bit :)

Freefreddy?

Dino 11-12-2008 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebatianos (Post 344632)
And a great idea it was OvErLoRd... damn, you weren't kidding that that's hell to type :)

Shhhhhhhhh, Seba... Nobody knows about that nickname. :ph34r:

@Tulac: SHHHHHHHHHHHH! :D

Scatty 11-12-2008 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tulac (Post 344633)
Freefreddy?

Now tell it louder so that everyone around knows :p
Not that it matters now, not many still there knowing anything about it anyway I suppose.

Sebatianos 11-12-2008 10:13 PM

Well Freyja returned to the site... she'd remember you :whistling:
But then again... she knew :)

Dino 11-12-2008 10:14 PM

I think everyone who remembers - knows. :)

Tulac 11-12-2008 10:16 PM

Damn I think I'm the last one to have figured it out. :(

Sebatianos 11-12-2008 10:17 PM

Not sure... maybe Tom didn't know... and Tai probably didn't either :)

Dino 11-12-2008 10:18 PM

Why looky heeeere, what have I found...

http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/sho...hlight=meeting

EDIT: Daaamn, the hair I had back then. :doh:

Tulac 11-12-2008 10:22 PM

Heheh, I have long hair now, I'm quite different then I was back then. :P

Dino 11-12-2008 10:23 PM

Yep, it's called growing up. :)

However, some pics vanished, so did mine with the funny hair. Yaaay!

Sebatianos 11-12-2008 10:29 PM

Hey, that's a nice found :)
I never bothered to check if it's still here... Those were fun times :)

Should do it again, hopefully more people could come this time :)

Dino 11-12-2008 10:33 PM

That would be good. But no cats this time, please. :)

Sebatianos 11-12-2008 10:38 PM

Well, Beti is no more, so you're safe :)

Think we could convince Playbahnosh and marko_river to join us?

Dino 11-12-2008 10:45 PM

Well, I hope so. I recall Playbahnosh had some enthusiasm to attend those meetings...

EDIT: Let's wipe the dust off this gem as well. Revolution topic

Sebatianos 11-12-2008 10:52 PM

He was angry about not being able to make it to the first one... Never got a chance to meet him in real life, but we were talking about getting together just last week.
And I remember Romano inviting Marko over...
But somebody else has to invite Rainwife :) Her new guy's acctually a computer wiz, maybe he should come too :)

Dino 11-12-2008 11:00 PM

That would be polite if we had any contact with her at all. We don't, so we can't invite her.

And about her new guy... Scratch that, Seb. We don't need any fight at the meeting. :D

Freyja 11-12-2008 11:38 PM

Mmmmemories.

About Kiddi's banana-spam-fest? Don't give him all the credit, I was totally there too :whistling:

Members I've met irl... Well, I knew Kiddiarni before that (he's actually quite the bigshot today, he's the president of the student body council of Iceland's best and biggest college). I met TheVoid in 2005, then we lived in the same province for 6 months and met several times a week... If anybody remembers EgAt (i think that was his nick), I met him a couple of times long time ago...

The thing I miss most about "old" Abandonia is the spirit, there were people who have gone/changed now and I really miss them a lot... Everything was so easy. If I'm to use a metaphor, Abandonia used to be a child but now has grown up with all the drama, distress and difficulties of adulthood.

*Freyja wonders how the hell she managed to write such a sentimental post without throwing up on herself, but she really means every word of it*

Dino 11-12-2008 11:46 PM

Boy oh boy, do I like memories. :)

Titan 12-12-2008 12:20 AM

Just for the record: The Tom vs Titan Epic Battle was just for the laughs.
We used to find more and more creative ways to insult eachother, like i posted a picture of a smurf getting beat up, and Tom changed my forum-title to something, and so on. :)

Btw.. apparently i'm the one to blame that we HAVE a forum :)
I got annoid at Kosta for just having a guestbook and told him to get a proper forum... and he did. :thumbs:

Dino 12-12-2008 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titan (Post 344665)
I got annoid at Kosta for just having a guestbook and told him to get a proper forum... and he did. :thumbs:

I always thought Braindead was the one responsible... Oh, well.

Now Titan will slay me.:titan:

Titan 12-12-2008 12:34 AM

I think it was even one of the question for one of the giveaways; Who the responcible was... and apparently it was ME :) YAY!... erhm

The Fifth Horseman 12-12-2008 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scatty (Post 344635)
Now tell it louder so that everyone around knows :p
Not that it matters now, not many still there knowing anything about it anyway I suppose.

*shrug*
The topic about that is still out in public for everyone interested, you know.

Sebatianos 12-12-2008 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titan (Post 344665)

Yup, Kosta repeated that several times... best dicision you ever made... helped to make... anyway :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Scatty 12-12-2008 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman (Post 344694)
*shrug*
The topic about that is still out in public for everyone interested, you know.

And who do you think would be interested? How many know now at all to look out for it in the first place? :p
Not that it's really worth doing that anyway. It's a part of the ancient past now.

Dino 12-12-2008 10:36 AM

Let the sleeping dogs lie, eh? ;)

Titan 12-12-2008 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebatianos (Post 344697)
Yup, Kosta repeated that several times... best dicision you ever made... helped to make... anyway :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

NOOOOOOOOOO!!! It was a misstake!!! I Promise!!! I never meant for it to become a forum! :whops::sos::wall::dunno::blush::imsorry:

Dino 12-12-2008 11:06 AM

Now, look what you have done, Titan! :D

Mighty Midget 12-12-2008 11:13 AM

Titan's up for a nuke for that! Someone get Titan. This could be interesting. :)

Dino 12-12-2008 11:15 AM

But who? Who has that kind of power on this board nowadays? :)

Mighty Midget 12-12-2008 11:22 AM

ME! I'm the REAL Richelieu here! MWAHAHAHA!

Scatty 12-12-2008 11:23 AM

We would need right now someone like Titan here for a quick ownage and good behaviour :p

Lulu_Jane 12-12-2008 11:33 AM

I miss how active the art section used to be too Scatty. Of course, I'm not doing much to help it by not picking up a pen for so long. But it was lovely, and Quinto's art competitions were and still are a great idea :D

For some strange reason I remember little UBC Dave fondly, his teenage brand of ADD always made me laugh.

Dino 12-12-2008 11:41 AM

U-boat Commander David... I remember him, funny guy. :D

Scatty 12-12-2008 11:45 AM

Oh yes, well, his visit was short but shiny. Another star that disappeared just like Indignus without finding a comfy enough place to stay. Now look how serious it is here right now without enough silly and funny kids who would lift up the mood of the forum.
Actually, speaking about which, are there actually still any kids visiting here? I would rather think it's more adult people who visit here in memories of the now long gone childhood than any kids. Was different some time ago though.

Lulu_Jane 12-12-2008 11:48 AM

Actually there's a fair few young folks here, IanFreddie, Kugerfang, and a few others who I don't know well enough to drag up through the cobwebs of my terrible memory :D

Scatty 12-12-2008 11:55 AM

Well I didn't notice Kugefang being around here when I came back, but maybe he was there shortly before that. Still those two aren't awfully a lot, seeing as how very few only talk about games now in Games Discussion. I can remember coming back here after 1 day and having to go back for at least 2 pages in Games Discussion to see all threads that have been posted into recently.
Either it's the negative karmic influence of Studentis now or Abandonia's days are counted, your pick :p

Sebatianos 12-12-2008 12:07 PM

I'm guessing it's also got somthing to do with the age of the games... They just don't attract that big of an audience anymore... I'd say that ever since Win95 - back in 1995 came out, DOS was becoming less and less interesting and used in the eyes of the general gaming public.

Hopefully when more Win95 games become abandonware and get reviewes that will draw in a larger crowd and a lot of fresh young blood :)

Dino 12-12-2008 12:26 PM

Anyone remembers that guy nicknamed Win98? He used to drive me crazy with his spelling and lack of ANY interpunction. :D

Freyja 12-12-2008 01:16 PM

Lol i used to spend soooo much time on Abandonia and on msn talking to abandonians that my mum was really scared for a while :doh:

I guess I was a kid back then... I was 16 when I joined - I'm 21 now.

But I think that the reason I'm studying IT now is that I met loads of cool people here who got me interested in it. And maybe the fact that my mom works in the field affected me as well :p

Tulac 12-12-2008 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scatty (Post 344715)
Either it's the negative karmic influence of Studentis now or Abandonia's days are counted, your pick :p

I think it's because the forum discussion button on the game review page is much less obvious now than it used to be, seriously.

Sebatianos 12-12-2008 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tulac (Post 344720)
I think it's because the forum discussion button on the game review page is much less obvious now than it used to be, seriously.

You know... you might be right!
If people would come and comment games (after all they found this site because of games - I imagine), I guess they would also check out the rest of the forum.

It should be a button, sticking out... not a link... Good thinking Tulac. :thumbs:

The Fifth Horseman 12-12-2008 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scatty (Post 344715)
very few only talk about games now in Games Discussion. I can remember coming back here after 1 day and having to go back for at least 2 pages in Games Discussion to see all threads that have been posted into recently.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tulac (Post 344720)

Even more likely cause for the drop in activity is that the forum no longer allows guests to post anywhere.

It happened one time on the old forum, when it was under heavy bot attacks. The guest posting was switched back on after a few days and a few dozen new filters, but in the meantime the results were pretty much identical with the current situation.

Scatty 12-12-2008 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebatianos (Post 344722)
You know... you might be right!
If people would come and comment games (after all they found this site because of games - I imagine), I guess they would also check out the rest of the forum.

It should be a button, sticking out... not a link... Good thinking Tulac. :thumbs:

To the resque, Abandonians, we need to get crowd back in http://ugly.plzdiekthxbye.net/small/s422.gif

Dave 12-12-2008 03:06 PM

I'm sure many of you will appreciate this flashback.

http://www.surg3.com/dfl/images/screens/34_4.png

More will come, I'll ask your help soon for an important thing ;)

Dino 12-12-2008 03:07 PM

My heart just got bigger looking at this screenshot. :)

Japo 12-12-2008 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman (Post 344726)
Even more likely cause for the drop in activity is that the forum no longer allows guests to post anywhere.

Yeah I started to post as a guest. Only after watching myself returning now and again I realized over the time (half a year later) that I should register. I started in Games Discussion--and even limited my participation to that single board quite long after I had registered.

EDIT: Now I realize I should have posted this in the new poll... So yes I voted aye.

Scatty 12-12-2008 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David86 (Post 344737)
I'm sure many of you will appreciate this flashback.

http://www.surg3.com/dfl/images/screens/34_4.png

More will come, I'll ask your help soon for an important thing ;)

Good old times, when the sun was brighter (if it ever came out) and the days longer http://ugly.plzdiekthxbye.net/small/s122.gif

Spoonman 12-12-2008 04:12 PM

I find it amusing when young people start to talk like old men on their virtual back porches :) It's a natural thing in small community forums after a while (people go on, lives and habits change, etc), but do keep in mind that today is tomorrows yesterday, so enjoy every minute of it ;)

Scatty 12-12-2008 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoonman (Post 344761)
do keep in mind that today is tomorrows yesterday, so enjoy every minute of it ;)

Well said, but I'll try to say it better yet :p
Yesterday was today that died long ago, tomorrow will be a today one day yet. If we stay too much in yesterday or the yet to come future, we'll miss the today. But today is the most interesting time ;)

dosraider 12-12-2008 04:29 PM

Ponder about this:

When you want to move forwards, looking straight behind the whole time will get you flat on your face.

Spoonman 12-12-2008 05:42 PM

mine was shorter :P

Dino 12-12-2008 07:15 PM

You should turn to writing poetry, guys. :)

DoomYoshi 13-12-2008 04:59 AM

Only on an abandonware forum can people fill up 8 pages in two days reminiscing about the past. I suppose it's good though. The essence of AB is shining through right now. Anyways, the best way to focus on forum activity is to make people have a reason to want to discuss something. I downloaded over 50 games and visited the site maybe a year before I made my first account. Perhaps if we deliberately messed up games it would force people to post in the troubleshooting section?:whistling:

Playbahnosh 15-12-2008 06:27 PM

Holy Molly! I could talk for ages about Abandonia's past. Back then, I absolutely loved it. With Indignus IV's and Game_****'s ranting rages, also I made and extinguished a few flame wars... hence the title :)

Do you remember the weekly avatar theme poll? That was awesome, I still remember the StarCraft one, I loved it ^_^

Also, the Forum novels we started, where the next poster had to continue the story, boy... the memories... I still remember we had Area 51, Capn. Kirk and, Spaceships and a cave in there, somehow...

I remember making friends with Seb, he was my one and only friend on the board back then, I was still a newbie though, but he was nice to me. That's how I stuck here. BeefOnTheBone, Evad, Win98, Tulac, Fawfulhasfury....

...damn... I miss Abandonia... :(

Morrin 16-12-2008 06:04 PM

Hi guys.
Used to had tons of fun around here, then something happened when the place got updated. I guess something as simple as updating (althought many seemed to like it more like an downgrade) can upset people so much that they don't like it anymore.. In matter of fact, I've experienced that with other forums aswell.

Playbahnosh 17-12-2008 12:00 AM

Well, to tell the truth, when the 'old' site got switched over to this one, I was very disappointed. I thought this is some pre-alpha stage site, because it looked awfully empty, white, and was full of bugs and features that didn't work. Well, this site is up for a long time now, and nothing seem to have changed. Nothing. The design is still barren and empty, still lotsa bugs and missing stuff... why?

The old site and forum was awesome, it had that certain feel to it. This one feels like a hospital...or more like an insane asylum now with all the things going on. Kosta, if your are reading this, please do something! Don't abandon Abandonia!!! :(

Spoonman 17-12-2008 06:41 AM

I have to admit that ever since the 'new' site is up it could have done with some polishing. But at least the game updates are on a move again, and the content of the (or any) forum is still what the visitors make of it.

Ioncannon 18-12-2008 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoonman (Post 345125)
I have to admit that ever since the 'new' site is up it could have done with some polishing. But at least the game updates are on a move again, and the content of the (or any) forum is still what the visitors make of it.

I have to agree with you on that... I still sometimes get forum posts cut off, and have to clear cache and refresh.

Dave 18-12-2008 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Playbahnosh (Post 345111)
The design is still barren and empty, still lotsa bugs and missing stuff... why?

Studentis remembers you anything?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Playbahnosh (Post 345111)
The old site and forum was awesome, it had that certain feel to it. This one feels like a hospital...or more like an insane asylum now with all the things going on. Kosta, if your are reading this, please do something! Don't abandon Abandonia!!! :(

Actually I'm working on the forum, perhaps we have found a way using css.

Japo 18-12-2008 05:07 PM

Hey I didn't know you could edit the CSS. Then you can do anything to the layout. :) Are you having any trouble with it?

L0L I remember one Studentis employee coming here and asking us to boycott Abandonia because whatever labour conflict. Well mister if you worked on abanconia.com I don't know how much you got paid but I know it was too much L0L. You did such an ass job that it will have to be done anew.

Freyja 18-12-2008 05:40 PM

Hehe I was reading some old threads... I actually thought there were more pages of the archive :oh:
But it was a nice stroll down the memory lane, and I realized I used to hate christmas. Forgot that, had a bad December that year...

Japo 18-12-2008 05:44 PM

The oldest threads got their posts deleted I think last time I checked. http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/ima...ons/icon13.gif Abandonia abandoned its own memories--thanks to Studentis I presume?

Freyja 18-12-2008 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Japofran (Post 345286)
The oldest threads got their posts deleted I think last time I checked. http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/ima...ons/icon13.gif Abandonia abandoned its own memories--thanks to Studentis I presume?

Yeah there are lots of threads in the way end with 0 posts :(

Ioncannon 18-12-2008 08:21 PM

Seems a lot went to crap with Studentis... I wasn't paying attention to the politics, but what did they do? What did they have control over?

The Fifth Horseman 18-12-2008 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Japofran (Post 345286)

:omg: WHAT?!

*Jumps into the archives to check*
*long silence*
*a loud... LOUD scream*
No effing way...

Dave 18-12-2008 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Japofran (Post 345280)
Hey I didn't know you could edit the CSS. Then you can do anything to the layout. :) Are you having any trouble with it?

I'm trying to recreate the old forum style, I did some progress :)
Waiting a green light from Data, I guess he is one of the few that can access forum database ;)

Japo 18-12-2008 09:56 PM

Anybody heard a scream from the general direction where Poland stands? :whops: Sorry man but you didn't ask, and besides you didn't want to know. :unsure:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ioncannon (Post 345292)
What did they have control over?

Something we like to call "Abandonia". And it's "do", not "did".

The Fifth Horseman 18-12-2008 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David86 (Post 345297)
Waiting a green light from Data, I guess he is one of the few that can access forum database ;)

He's the one who has any idea how to edit the templates. :p

arete 19-12-2008 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman (Post 345296)
WHAT?!

*Jumps into the archives to check*
*long silence*
*a loud... LOUD scream*
No effing way...

Um, look in the chatbox some time ago... When I started modding I asked why we were keeping a lot of old, empty, threads... You and Data probably thought I was kidding. MEN, I ask you. :rolleyes: I mean, there's pages and pages of them... And they're empty...

Dave 19-12-2008 01:10 PM

Quote:

He's the one who has any idea how to edit the templates. :cheesy:
OH :omg:

Little preview of a test.
Opinions?

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/8...izedno9.th.png

Playbahnosh 19-12-2008 01:44 PM

Well, at least it has some color. Nice job!

The design could use a background IMHO. What if you put one of the Abandonia wallpapers we made as a background? I think it would do wonders.

Dave 19-12-2008 01:50 PM

I think it could be done, but it's harder.
The biggest problem is that we can change forum but not site layout, this would mean a huge contrast between white bar on the top and background.

Reversed colors version:

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/9...rsedkd8.th.png

Which one do you prefer?

Japo 19-12-2008 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David86 (Post 345345)
Which one do you prefer?

Now we need the girls. :whistling:

BTW the priority would be the errors and glitches. But I assume these are all in the site by Studentis and not in forum by vBulletin? :doh:

Spoonman 19-12-2008 05:55 PM

Any sign of improvement is good to me

And although I'm no girl (nor planning on becoming one), I prefer the fir.. no wait, the second version

The Fifth Horseman 19-12-2008 07:02 PM

Quote:

But I assume these are all in the site by Studentis and not in forum by vBulletin?
Quite so.

Lulu_Jane 19-12-2008 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Japofran (Post 345367)
Now we need the girls. :whistling:

The first one :p

Romano 19-12-2008 07:17 PM

Well, here is on not so good image from Sudan.
But Abandonia was there too :D
Sorry. Seems I have not be allow to add attachments :(

Japo 19-12-2008 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lulu_Jane (Post 345380)
The first one :p

Woman has spoken to us o aesthetically ungifted males. Praise your good fortune and obey.
:kosta:

punch999 20-12-2008 06:40 AM

Oh jesus, the stories I could tell about Abandonia. I joined up I think....Late 2004 and I was 12 when I joined. A lot if not most of my maturing happened here. I learned that grammar is your friend. I learned more about computers then years of computer classes in school and I made tonnes of friends. Some of who I still talk to today..

Unfortunately old abandonia is gone. It's been left in the dust as the freedom and old community got washed away eventually by (IMHO) Stupid mod decisions and the handing off to Studentis.

But it's great to see some people still remember everything. (I use to have 1000+ posts OMG!)

The Fifth Horseman 20-12-2008 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punch999 (Post 345400)
(I use to have 1000+ posts OMG!)

If you want I can merge your old account with your new one. Just say a word.

punch999 20-12-2008 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman (Post 345405)
If you want I can merge your old account with your new one. Just say a word.

Please?

The Fifth Horseman 20-12-2008 03:24 PM

It's done.

punch999 20-12-2008 04:15 PM

Who's the man?

YOU the man!

*sinks back into obscurity

Dino 20-12-2008 08:04 PM

Ah, punch. Nice to see you back.

You left Abandonia as a kid and now returned as a man.

P.S. What's with the smilies? Can't add any to my post.
:):D:D

The Fifth Horseman 20-12-2008 09:22 PM

They're on our FTP server.
The one which is down.
Do the math.

punch999 20-12-2008 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman (Post 345441)
The one which is down.
Do the math.

Well back to our apparently ABANDONED memories. Anybody just remember the pure joy that just eminated while being on this forum. People would argue and stuff but people would always post and things would usually be forgiven.

Oh and there was a shit load of drama back in the old forum to. Which was really fun.

Dino 21-12-2008 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman (Post 345441)
The one which is down.
Do the math.

I was never good at math. *whistling smiley*

punch999 22-12-2008 02:57 AM

So anybody else have any great memories of the old forum? A active programming forum, And art forum...Didn't takea day for someone to respond in Blahx3

Fawfulhasfury 22-12-2008 03:32 AM

Credit Punch for dusting me out of the long lost file cabinets of the catacombs within the internet. I had completely forgotten AB by now. He mentioned some stupid chat box message which I went to look at, and this topic caught my eye as I just glanced over the place. So what happened to this place, I mean really. Did Abandonias balls drop off? It's....so quiet and saddening compared to what it once was.

I remember when Abandonia was not just a place for news and abandoned PC games, but a place to go and chat with some of the most unique and crazy people on the internet. Dang. Anyone remember what I was like. Little monster, lol. I'd probably have a heart attack and URINATE my pants if I read any of my old posts here. I can't even believe the change in this place. It went from everyone being friendly to everyone fighting to everyone just not having anything left to say.

Reading this topic brought back some heavy memories. I sat through a lot of the most heavy hitting incidents in this board, ever since I lurked on it in it's first year. I remember being friends with Indignus. I never understood the slack he got. Same for Einherjar, though now I can see he enjoyed the debates. So did I. Man, seeing everyone get so mad was funny as snot. He's one of the only people I still know from the old days. I was a friend to a lot of people, even when most of my friends here were enemies with each other. But looking back I cna't understand why I was so popular with all the neer-do-ells. I remember Freefreddy especially. I'll give a shout to that mullet sporting fart; hope he's doing well. I remember being a mod here and making a steaming pile out of that job. I remember when everyone said Danny252 and I were two kids not old enough for the responsibility, and they were right. I never did any work.

I remember Titan, and Data, and Picard was it? I also remember they terrified me. Until Picard got that David Hyde Pierce avatar. I just laughed every time I saw him from then on. I remember Titan's nude avatar that I had to surf past really fast in case my mother saw it. Thanks Titan for creating a lot of harrowing situations in my house. I remember Data as the one who was stupid enough to give me any position of power. Thanks for giving me a chance though, but you frighten me dude.

I remember the arts board, and how jealous of Void I used to be. I remember Tom and him tied in artistic ability. I remember Seb as being one of the people I had the greatest chemistry with on here. Man, what a sick sense of humor. You're sick, man! lol

So what. I have the greatest and scariest stories out of all of you! I know the most AB history out of all of you too! Haah! So you know what! I survived Abandonia all the way, chanchos! Vive la Abandonia!

Scatty 22-12-2008 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fawfulhasfury (Post 345499)
I remember when Abandonia was not just a place for news and abandoned PC games, but a place to go and chat with some of the most unique and crazy people on the internet. Dang. Anyone remember what I was like. Little monster, lol. I'd probably have a heart attack and URINATE my pants if I read any of my old posts here. I can't even believe the change in this place. It went from everyone being friendly to everyone fighting to everyone just not having anything left to say.

Well the spirit of Abandonia is pretty much dead now, I think. Without good-looking, well looked after, much visited by guests and moderated forum people also like less often to come here, so does the spirit sink.

Nice to see you here again though, Fawful. Quite some memories connected with you for me, too. That mullet sporting fart is doing well, thanks. Hope you do, too ;)

Data 22-12-2008 09:18 AM

Being called stupid and scary at the same time. Interesting....
That might be a very stupid move on your part as that might turn me scary ;)

Freyja 22-12-2008 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fawfulhasfury (Post 345499)
Did Abandonias balls drop off? It's....so quiet and saddening compared to what it once was

Yes.

Quote:

Anyone remember what I was like. Little monster, lol. I'd probably have a heart attack and URINATE my pants if I read any of my old posts here.
That's how we reacted when reading your posts back then!

Quote:

I remember when everyone said Danny252 and I were two kids not old enough for the responsibility, and they were right. I never did any work.
That's right!

Quote:

I remember Titan's nude avatar that I had to surf past really fast in case my mother saw it. Thanks Titan for creating a lot of harrowing situations in my house.
Yeah, then I once had an avatar that wasn't nearly as nude-y, and I got a warn =(

Quote:

I remember Data as the one who was stupid enough to give me any position of power. Thanks for giving me a chance though, but you frighten me dude.
Data... Stupid and frightening? Lol he's like the total opposite of that in my books!

Quote:

I remember the arts board, and how jealous of Void I used to be. I remember Tom and him tied in artistic ability. I remember Seb as being one of the people I had the greatest chemistry with on here. Man, what a sick sense of humor. You're sick, man! lol
Agreed

punch999 22-12-2008 03:09 PM

It's almost sad that we can't somehow just restart abandonia the way it used to be. Now that there is the Studentis problem and the whole ugly ass forum.

Pity as I am sure if this forum improved a lot of people would come back. I know I would.

Mighty Midget 22-12-2008 03:14 PM

As for the design, nothing is static :) AB's design has changed before and will again, one day. As for Studentis, my guess is that too can and will be sorted out one day. In the mean time, I'll rather go about no business thinking it'll get better.

Dino 22-12-2008 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mighty Midget (Post 345532)
As for the design, nothing is static :) AB's design has changed before and will again, one day. As for Studentis, my guess is that too can and will be sorted out one day. In the mean time, I'll rather go about no business thinking it'll get better.

I agree, MM. It will change again, someday... We can just hope it will be a change for the better.

Havell 22-12-2008 06:20 PM

Wow, awesome thread here. It's a shame I didn't see it earlier due to my pre-Crimbo activities.

My very early times were dominated by the Riddles and Brain Teasers thread and my Jokes one (which last time I checked was still the biggest in x3 Blah). I remember my Grim Fandango avatar that loads of new members started using as it popped up in the list of stock avatars you could pick from in the old layout. I also remember us spending yonks on a terrible riddle Titan posted about a guy getting poked in the neck by his wife while asleep in church and his head falling off...

As for the drama, it's always been there. Tom v. Titan doesn't count as it was just a bit of fun, and fun it was. FreeFreddy was the biggie and I remember how angry I got with the admins about how it was handled but there were smaller events, the founding of the dissidents forum, Tom v. Tiki, etc. Ironically, the drama is pretty much the only thing that hasn't changed.

Great to see punch and Fawful in this thread, they're two of the people I know best from this forum and I still talk to them both occasionally. I can't thank the old school admins, Titan and Data enough for all the work they've done over the years either. Good to see you too Freyja, you're a genuine oldfag, remember when we all thought you were male since you had an AC/DC avatar and we all assumed that Kiddi didn't know any girls?

Dino 22-12-2008 06:45 PM

Anybody remembers a guy named "PrejudiceSucks". I remember him from the old times, don't know why though. :)

Havell 22-12-2008 07:50 PM

Yeah, I remember Prej. He moved to Reloaded after a while, along with a fair few of my very favourite members ever (like BeefontheBone, A.J. Raffles and FruitPieJones, ie, the old Grammar Squad). I think he still posts on there occasionally and I've talked to him on MSN a couple of times (though not for a few months now, I must admit).

I really hope that the AR forum can be saved from the ravages of spambots, it's a hell of a lot of fairly unpleasant work for the AR mods to clean them out all the time and there are some truely awesome people there and a great vibe.

Fawfulhasfury 22-12-2008 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Data (Post 345510)
Being called stupid and scary at the same time. Interesting....
That might be a very stupid move on your part as that might turn me scary ;) I've never had a Red Bull before, but I really like Red Bull! Ableedeedeeah Deyboo!

lol You misunderstood me. I didn't mean stupid in general, but mainly just when you made me a mod. (I stand by scary.) But why should I be reverent? All you ever did was try to keep me from doing wrong. And who wants that? :max: Is Titan still around here at all or has he left too?

Its funny that all we have to talk about that seems really interesting is drama. Believe me, drama is not interesting. Well, anyway this topic holds my attention. After all, I'm one of AB's memories. :amused: I'll stick around long enough for this gooey sh...ow of emotion to hold my interest then I'll split.

Japo 22-12-2008 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Havell (Post 345562)
I really hope that the AR forum can be saved from the ravages of spambots, it's a hell of a lot of fairly unpleasant work for the AR mods to clean them out all the time and there are some truely awesome people there and a great vibe.

The bot onslaught at AR seems to be over. Studentis bothered to do something to the forum software, probably update it I'd guess.

Freyja 22-12-2008 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Havell (Post 345555)
Good to see you too Freyja, you're a genuine oldfag, remember when we all thought you were male since you had an AC/DC avatar and we all assumed that Kiddi didn't know any girls?

Good to see you too, Havell :amused:
Yeah, I was one of the first girls to join (or at least that were active). The only one I remember that was there before me was Wendy. Some people really didn't believe I was a girl :p
Kiddi is being stalked by girls now, he's seriously THE most popular guy in his school.

Tulac 22-12-2008 09:40 PM

I thought that TheVoid was the girl and you a guy. Cause you had each others photos in profile, IIRC.

punch999 22-12-2008 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tulac (Post 345575)
I thought that TheVoid was the girl and you a guy. Cause you had each others photos in profile, IIRC.

LOL, didn't they have some wierd obsession with changing the other persons profile picture?

Freyja 22-12-2008 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punch999 (Post 345576)
LOL, didn't they have some wierd obsession with changing the other persons profile picture?

Yeah, we swapped pictures :whistling:

Dave 23-12-2008 11:33 AM

Yeah...they tricked me...I thought TheVoid was an Italian girl :oh:

Freyja 23-12-2008 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David86 (Post 345626)
Yeah...they tricked me...I thought TheVoid was an Italian girl :oh:

A hot Italian girl, you mean.

:bleh: :whistling:

arete 23-12-2008 11:55 AM

Wow. *sniff* --The testosterone on this forum... You could strip paint with it... :D

The Fifth Horseman 23-12-2008 12:08 PM

Certainly. Along with blowing out the roof, if anyone so much as lights a match.

*holds out a pack of matches*
Want to see for yourself?

Grinder 23-12-2008 08:36 PM

Anyone remember me? I used to come here quite a lot, and I have a lot of fond memories of this place. Most of them are a little dizzy, but I do think I know the majority of the users here. Many good people, some less good, most of them awesome.
I haven't been here in ages, I remember in the days of the dissident forum, AB was my favourite website. Maybe I'll stay here for a while again. Any objections?

Mighty Midget 23-12-2008 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grinder (Post 345727)
Any objections?

Only if you decides to wander off :) Yeah, I remember your user name, but not your avatar. New one or is my memory crap?

TheChosen 23-12-2008 09:40 PM

He had the sniper cat.

The Fifth Horseman 23-12-2008 09:52 PM

Well, well... Hi again, Grinder!

TC: And if my memory serves right, he used a mushroom avatar for a long while.

Japo 23-12-2008 10:35 PM

Yeah I remember Henning. Anyway be most welcome back, everyone. L0L I've seen this very same thing happen at another forum, with the very same precedents. Let's hope this time some of you decide to stay... After they're done with the nostalgia, people will have in principle the same reasons to stay as during the last months. :/

Freyja 23-12-2008 11:13 PM

I remember Grinder!

Grinder 24-12-2008 12:43 AM

Hey Freyja, long time no see! How's life treating you?
And yes, I had many avatars over time, including a sniping cat and a dozen mushroom themed ones. None of them related to psilocybin fungi, of course. :max:
So anyway, what'd I miss?

Freyja 24-12-2008 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grinder (Post 345756)
Hey Freyja, long time no see! How's life treating you?

Life's treating me just fine :max:
Hope you're doing fine?

punch999 24-12-2008 04:42 AM

You've missed nothing.

Grinder 24-12-2008 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punch999 (Post 345767)
You've missed nothing.

Ah, I was going to ask about just that.
So how are you, punch? Still feeling a bit iffy about me?

punch999 24-12-2008 02:55 PM

I have forgotten all my grudges from the old days.

And I'm good thank you. How are you?

_r.u.s.s. 24-12-2008 03:15 PM

ahhh grinder, the mac fan boy=P

arete 24-12-2008 04:13 PM

Wb Grinder! ^_^

Data 24-12-2008 04:35 PM

Hi Grinder!

I remember the fact you used a Mac as well :)

Dino 24-12-2008 07:45 PM

Grinder... Why hello there, mate! Very glad to see you back. :)

Some of the old crew have returned. That's very good news.

Grinder 25-12-2008 10:27 AM

Hi Data! I thought you were taking a time-out or something? Great to see you here! Same for you, Dino. How is your hair? :bleh:

Dino 25-12-2008 01:36 PM

Well, my hair is a lot shorter than it used to be... I'm a handsome devil now. :D

Maz2 27-12-2008 06:50 AM

-Tom / Tai / AJ Raffles (in general)
-EPIC pm chain with blood-piggy about Dead Rising (EPIC as in longggggggggggg)
-Punch's thread about becoming a priest or whatever through that "order a kit online" religion
-Pic of the month competitions in the art forum
-Sean (in general)
-That "How do you get a custom title" thread where I got mine...from Tai I think

Dino 27-12-2008 10:41 AM

Hey Maz2! You seem to be a senior member. If you don't mind me asking... What was your nickname back then? :)

Lulu_Jane 27-12-2008 11:59 AM

Haha, I'd forgotten about the whole, "I've just become a religious leader," thing :D

The Fifth Horseman 27-12-2008 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maz2 (Post 346087)
-Tom / Tai / AJ Raffles (in general)
-EPIC pm chain with blood-piggy about Dead Rising (EPIC as in longggggggggggg)
-Punch's thread about becoming a priest or whatever through that "order a kit online" religion
-Pic of the month competitions in the art forum
-Sean (in general)
-That "How do you get a custom title" thread where I got mine...from Tai I think

I take it you were a member before, but can't access your old account? Tell me its username and I'll do my best to help.

punch999 27-12-2008 11:51 PM

It wasn't a order a kit online thing thank you. It was more then that.

Dave 28-12-2008 04:20 PM

Another big jump into the past guys! :perv:

http://www.waldvelen.de/Abandonia/ab_crew.jpg

Mighty Midget 28-12-2008 04:22 PM

Golden revisit, Dave! :1stplace:

Seeing lots of names there of people I remember as good folks :)

Lulu_Jane 28-12-2008 05:13 PM

Hahaha, everyone looks so young, it's lovely :D

punch999 28-12-2008 05:40 PM

Damn, I was hot.

Tulac 28-12-2008 06:11 PM

We should make a new one like that, though I'm afraid it would be much smaller. :P

AlumiuN 28-12-2008 07:36 PM

Lol I remember that. It was brought up again not so long ago. And punch looks like he'd had maybe a little too much punch. :D

Eagle of Fire 28-12-2008 10:03 PM

Hummm... I don't see my name there. How old is this picture?

Ioncannon 28-12-2008 10:07 PM

I look thinner :(

punch999 28-12-2008 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire (Post 346221)

You were around, but I don't think you had a picture of yourself floating around

Dave 28-12-2008 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire (Post 346221)

2006 I think, but there is not all the old crew there.

Tulac 28-12-2008 10:46 PM

It's a compilation from the personal photos topic, so if there were no photos of you there, you're not on the mosaic. :p

Eagle of Fire 28-12-2008 11:06 PM

Heh, I guess you are right... And you guys are never going to have a real photo of me either. :p

punch999 28-12-2008 11:07 PM

Which is why some of the people in that crew thing were in fact nearly utterly insignificant site wise except posting on that topic.

Man we all looked younger then.

Havell 28-12-2008 11:25 PM

Heh, that's awesome. A before-and-after picture for whoever we can still find and all the young folk would be great indeed.

Oh, and Eagle, I seem to recall a picture of a bunch of dudes in a field dressed in LARP gear, including one gentleman dressed as a tiger. Ring any bells, or am I getting mixed up in my old age?

Playbahnosh 29-12-2008 01:18 AM

Wow, Abandonia Reunion? Welcome back people! :)

Just look at that! The old Abandonia Crew wallpaper... gawd, I look so young...

Well, now that you are all here, let's make this place Abandonia again, shall we? ;)

Caged 29-12-2008 02:49 AM

*walks through door brushing aside cobwebs, dust rises up from the disturbance

huh...this place does still exist....and my acount is even intact, I'll be danged
:max:

Guess I shouldn't be so surprised by the low activity though, Vista isn't exactly dos friendly...

punch999 29-12-2008 05:35 AM

Caged I can't believe you only have 269 posts. It seemed like you were all over in the olden days.

Yobor 29-12-2008 06:43 AM

Man... The good old days on Abandonia. Before all that crap went down and it got... less cool.

I fondly look back at those days and all the fellows I haven't talked to in far too long. Well, fellow (Tulac, I'm talking at you). I'm consistently bothered by Punch still, but that's how it goes when the 12 year old slowly develops into a real human being. God, I can't believe you were that young, Punch...

Bottom line, good times. Good times.

Freyja 29-12-2008 12:09 PM

Wow, lots of oldies that are back :thumbs: \o/

Dave 29-12-2008 12:10 PM

That pictures makes miracles :thumbs:

Caged 29-12-2008 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yobor (Post 346245)
Man... The good old days on Abandonia. Before all that crap went down and it got... less cool.

I fondly look back at those days and all the fellows I haven't talked to in far too long. Well, fellow (Tulac, I'm talking at you). I'm consistently bothered by Punch still, but that's how it goes when the 12 year old slowly develops into a real human being. God, I can't believe you were that young, Punch...

Punch is funny like that, i keep deleting him off my buddy list yet he always resurfaces 5-6 months later...generally to somehow trick me into revisiting this place (or direct me to random ass youtube videos):omg:

Tulac 29-12-2008 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yobor (Post 346245)

Hey Yobor dude, I think I lost your msn/icq contacts during many of the program switching, nice to see you here again. :)

Fruit Pie Jones 29-12-2008 11:04 PM

I may as well jump in here too. I've got some great memories of this place, most of which had to do with the Grammar Squad. Unfortunately, this means that most of you never saw those memories, but we did have some fun in our little enclave. I miss those days, but then I'm prone to nostalgia, so I miss most days!

My current employer's web traffic filter likes to block access to Abandonia arbitrarily. I can get to AR with no problems, so shortly after I started working here (that'd be about 2.5 years ago), I moved over there. Most of the Grammar Squad folks had moved over there by that time anyway, for one reason or another. The AR forums have been quite dead for a while now, though. If I can consistently access this place, I'll certainly turn up more frequently. I'd love to see Abandonia restored to its former glory.

I agree with everyone else: the old site layout was significantly better. That may be nostalgia talking, but I don't think so.

punch999 30-12-2008 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Pie Jones (Post 346339)
I may as well jump in here too. I've got some great memories of this place, most of which had to do with the Grammar Squad. Unfortunately, this means that most of you never saw those memories, but we did have some fun in our little enclave. I miss those days, but then I'm prone to nostalgia, so I miss most days!

My current employer's web traffic filter likes to block access to Abandonia arbitrarily. I can get to AR with no problems, so shortly after I started working here (that'd be about 2.5 years ago), I moved over there. Most of the Grammar Squad folks had moved over there by that time anyway, for one reason or another. The AR forums have been quite dead for a while now, though. If I can consistently access this place, I'll certainly turn up more frequently. I'd love to see Abandonia restored to its former glory.

I agree with everyone else: the old site layout was significantly better. That may be nostalgia talking, but I don't think so.

Nice to see you again Fruit pie. I think everyone would like to see it restored that was around back then. So many amazing memories gone. Funny how it seemed like it would last forever.

Yobor 30-12-2008 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Pie Jones (Post 346339)

Oh I definitely agree. The old layout was much better, but I'm sure there was some sort of hullabaloo when that was changed, like there's always a hullabaloo over thisaways. Grammar squad was good times, even though I was appointed and promptly was too busy in my "rl" to do much of anything on it; I don't even know if anyone noticed I was on the grammar squad until we did the forum change and I lost the priveliges I never used... Ahh, good times.

Dino 30-12-2008 11:34 AM

Nice to see you all back here, guys. :)

Grinder 30-12-2008 07:41 PM

Yobor and FPJ, I demand you change back your avatars so I can delve deeper into my memories of the Old Abandonia.
Also, you guys are awesome.

Maz2 30-12-2008 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman (Post 346125)
I take it you were a member before, but can't access your old account? Tell me its username and I'll do my best to help.

Yea, not certain exactly what happened, either it got deleted somehow (an error somewhere, who knows), or, more likely, I managed to forget my password, which would be rather sad.

Either way, any help would be appreciated ;)

Moogle.

And yes, that picture is indeed awesome.

Fruit Pie Jones 30-12-2008 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grinder (Post 346450)
Yobor and FPJ, I demand you change back your avatars so I can delve deeper into my memories of the Old Abandonia.
Also, you guys are awesome.

I wasn't sure I'd be able to dig up my old avatar, but I found it...on AR! Yobor, I remember your very short stint in the Grammar Squad. The rest of us were a little...nonplussed by your signup and prompt departure, but that kind of thing happens!

A quick question about the new forum layout: does it work any better in IE than it does in Firefox? I do most of my recreational web surfing in Firefox, but this forum is giving me mixed results - things like posts getting cut off halfway through and Google ads appearing on top of (and thereby blocking) links or buttons. Is there any remedy for this? It's not enough to keep me from coming back, especially if the forums will stay active and some of the old crowd will pop in from time to time, but it's annoying.

Eagle of Fire 30-12-2008 08:20 PM

Here's my old avatar, BTW: http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/5236/eagle02hi1.jpg

Maz2 30-12-2008 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Pie Jones (Post 346461)
A quick question about the new forum layout: does it work any better in IE than it does in Firefox? I do most of my recreational web surfing in Firefox, but this forum is giving me mixed results - things like posts getting cut off halfway through and Google ads appearing on top of (and thereby blocking) links or buttons. Is there any remedy for this? It's not enough to keep me from coming back, especially if the forums will stay active and some of the old crowd will pop in from time to time, but it's annoying.

I'm using firefox as well, and, while I'm not sure what to do about posts getting cut off, you could try using adblocker (http://adblockplus.org/en/) for the google ads, that's what I have and I don't see any ads anywhere.

marko river 31-12-2008 02:33 AM

Man, so much memories, so much nostalgia...
I remember after months of visiting many abw sites looking for some games and kept being stuck at HOTU hoping that their archive will work I found AB looking for Jagged Alliance. Somehow, sun broke through clouds. Nice review page, easy download and live community.. And i posted very long post in Jagged Alliance games discussion... and that was it. I was trapped.

So nice it was. I always kept some distance from main thing going on. Kept myself somewhat busy with reviews. I never really had any sort of fights with Tom but i joined dissidents forum since every very active memeber was there. AND BOY WE HAD FUN. We were really small group of workocholic. Everything was arranged - what archives do we have, who is doing what review, what about next week and so on? I did my Ocean mega update there, and we did 1000th game mega update on abandonia's birthday. That was great! Romano was in charge for updating, Seb was doing any kind of games, Bruno was doing sport games, and so on... It was really good.

I remember some people i miss now. Wendy, warmpaul... and what was the name of the member who had indiana jones avatar and i was confused that he was Tom Henrik at the first. Tom had that body-building smurf avatar... Void's art, Stroggy's attitude, other memebers you already mentiond. Punchy man, is that you??? Man you grow up and you're still young :) :D

That reminded me of this situation, punch reviewed Mastertronic's Barbarian and Seb added Barbarian 2 and shots and used punchy's reiveew!! DAMN!!!! I started to write proper review immediately and Seb changed some parts due to my english. That was team work :D

I remember some stuff too. Like Sebs greatest PM reply pyramid. I can't remember with whom but thay used lot of Slovenian language. I'm so sorry I never make it to Zagreb... :(

I remember warmpaul's topic about member of the month idea, it made me laugh. And myself had some revolution topic against admins. That was at the time i was new and didn't really know who the admins were and what are they like. I just liked making some mess. Those are some less known stuff.
I also remember x-com game on forum. And "guess the game name" by giving hints and winner post new hints. Man, that was great :D

I have to stop now, too much memories. I will write more. Man, i miss old AB.... :( :( :(

punch999 31-12-2008 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko_river (Post 346504)
I remember after months of visiting many abw sites looking for some games and kept being stuck at HOTU hoping that their archive will work I found AB looking for Jagged Alliance. Somehow, sun broke through clouds. Nice review page, easy download and live community.. And i posted very long post in Jagged Alliance games discussion... and that was it. I was trapped.

So nice it was. I always kept some distance from main thing going on. Kept myself somewhat busy with reviews. I never really had any sort of fights with Tom but i joined dissidents forum since every very active memeber was there. AND BOY WE HAD FUN. We were really small group of workocholic. Everything was arranged - what archives do we have, who is doing what review, what about next week and so on? I did my Ocean mega update there, and we did 1000th game mega update on abandonia's birthday. That was great! Romano was in charge for updating, Seb was doing any kind of games, Bruno was doing sport games, and so on... It was really good.

I remember some people i miss now. Wendy, warmpaul... and what was the name of the member who had indiana jones avatar and i was confused that he was Tom Henrik at the first. Tom had that body-building smurf avatar... Void's art, Stroggy's attitude, other memebers you already mentiond. Punchy man, is that you??? Man you grow up and you're still young :) :D

That reminded me of this situation, punch reviewed Mastertronic's Barbarian and Seb added Barbarian 2 and shots and used punchy's reiveew!! DAMN!!!! I started to write proper review immediately and Seb changed some parts due to my english. That was team work :D

I remember some stuff too. Like Sebs greatest PM reply pyramid. I can't remember with whom but thay used lot of Slovenian language. I'm so sorry I never make it to Zagreb... :(

I remember warmpaul's topic about member of the month idea, it made me laugh. And myself had some revolution topic against admins. That was at the time i was new and didn't really know who the admins were and what are they like. I just liked making some mess. Those are some less known stuff.
I also remember x-com game on forum. And "guess the game name" by giving hints and winner post new hints. Man, that was great :D

I have to stop now, too much memories. I will write more. Man, i miss old AB.... :( :( :(

Yes this is me, Yes I am still the same person. It's great to see you back even if it is for one post Marko. It's great seeing everyone from the old days. I just wish it was still that way.

Yobor 31-12-2008 04:18 AM

Oh, my old avatar is long since deleted from my computer; it was a self-made one of a necromancer from Warlords 3. Before that I had the shotgun toting terminator image from Fallout.

Holy cow. The only thing that would take the cake more in this thread would be Kosta posting.

Tulac 31-12-2008 06:05 AM

We should try to play Warlords 3 over the net once :P

punch999 31-12-2008 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yobor (Post 346506)
Holy cow. The only thing that would take the cake more in this thread would be Kosta posting.

No, a full on well punctuated apology post by Quatroking would take the cake.

Scatty 31-12-2008 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punch999 (Post 346514)
No, a full on well punctuated apology post by Quatroking would take the cake.

Oh yes, that one. He was banned back then long time ago, wasn't he?

@Yobor - how about this one?

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/7...ereaperhx6.jpg

Romano 31-12-2008 03:50 PM

@ Marko_River: Thank you :)

@ Yobor: Your old Avatar & Signature

http://www.freeebay.net/site/images//yobor%20avatar.jpg
http://www.freeebay.net/site/images/...0signature.jpg

Dino 31-12-2008 04:06 PM

@Romano: I see your archives are really thorough. :)

@Marko: Welcome back, neighbour. Nice to see you here again.

Grinder 01-01-2009 01:23 AM

Hey Marko, it's been a while! How are you?
And yes, FPJ, that's the one I was looking for.
Yobor, I believe yours was a hand drawing of some sort of figure on this piece of leather or something?
Greetings to you too, Romano! How's life treating you?

Yobor 01-01-2009 09:27 AM

@Romano: Haha yeah that was my old avatar and signature, and the one I uploaded to Abandonia Reloaded I'm pretty sure. Thanks for pulling that up... hehe. After that one I went to the terminator one, and then after that, my final one was the necromancer. I can remember it was the last one because that was the one I had during my brief time in the Grammar squad. I was so shamed that I had to bail that I just left the forum totally for over a year so it was only deleted in the Studentis dealie.

@Scatty: Nah mine was just the in-game graphic of the necromancer sitting in a one man stack on the plains background, on the yellow nation palette. I'd go through the bother of making it again, but then I'd have gone through the bother.

Tulac, good times failing at working out the email system... I'm sure we could have done it if either of us cared more.

And, does Quatroking even exist anymore?

Romano 01-01-2009 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grinder (Post 346601)
Greetings to you too, Romano! How's life treating you?

Thank you Grinder for asking how I am :)
I'm fine at the moment. The whole (small) family is here in Zagreb (Croatia) for Christmas and New Year holidays. Unfortunately it will not last to long. Ines will go back to Khartoum in Sudan where she works, and Kosta to Dublin where he study and work in the same time.

I have some Christmas photos:

http://www.freeebay.net/site/images/...mas%202008.jpg

We have not discuss anything regarding Abandonia :D

Btw. I am working on the new site: http://www.freeebay.net
You will be welcomed!

Grinder 01-01-2009 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romano Krauth (Post 346629)
Thank you Grinder for asking how I am :)
I'm fine at the moment. The whole (small) family is here in Zagreb (Croatia) for Christmas and New Year holidays. Unfortunately it will not last to long. Ines will go back to Khartoum in Sudan where she works, and Kosta to Dublin where he study and work in the same time.

Christmas was nice this year because all three family members that are living alone came to visit, so it was a bit like a reunion. Ours didn't last long either. I hope you savored the moment :)

marko river 02-01-2009 01:23 AM

Well guys, I wasn't really gone completely. After 1000th game mega update i stopped reviewing. Actually, I remember reviewing Rastan and Artura since I had idea of making another mega update (I guess I'm nothing better but a showman :whistling:) and I probably will during the summer.
Anyway, after those 2 reviews, I tried writing for 3 new ones and there was a real lack of creativity. I simply can't write short and simple reviews somehow...:suspicious: Day for a new and better abandonia was closing and I talked with Kosta about some things and ideas. We all expected much from this new abandonia. So, step by step, I created some sort of vision for new and hopefully the best search engine for games on the net. I defined the tags that should be used and divided all those tags into some groups that should be easy for users to understand and Kosta liked it. So I kept myself busy for weeks going through EVERY GAME ON THE SITE defining those tags for each and every game and making an archive file for everything. Eventually, job was finished but, unfortunally, new abandonia lacked support for any advanced search and it seems that it will stay that way :unsure: There simply was no time to be created. Well, I still keep my files about that, maybe one day...

After that I remained mostly quit waiting for this studentis thing to be solved. I was checking forum to see what's going on on that matter... Now I was very happy to see that site can function again... well, with some changes and then this fighting happened. I was really sad to see that and I remained silent about it, not wanting to take any sides.

All in all, I'm not leaving abandonia. I don't want to care about who's in charge or something. I was here primary because of my love for old games, because they gave me so much fun and this reviewing is also fun. And abandonia is really the best abw site on the net. So, in next few months, i'm still not sure will i do any review. I got lot to do and when i come home i just wanna relax and waste some time on the net. I was thinking to start adding info about games in the abw list, just to be useful a bit :)

I'll be around guys, maybe not always seen, but around...

wormpaul 02-01-2009 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko_river (Post 346504)
I remember some people i miss now. Wendy, warmpaul..

I have to stop now, too much memories. I will write more. Man, i miss old AB....

Hey Marko,

Just to say that it is a great honour that you still remember me, off course I remember you also and the good discussions we had.

That topic that you spoke about (war against the admins) there was also someone involved who was beneath or exact 12 years old and always very angry. As far as I can remember it was not Punch but someone else who was very active at the forum and always negative and fighting against the admins :thumbs:

But you named my employee of the month topic, I know it have never reached the front page but still love the idea :max:

Remember also mine personal moment of frustration (was angry with some people on the forum, specially Sebastionas) and that I just had to beat him with spamming for 1 week?

Made the topic 7 Days off and except that I reacted to every post behind me (no matter what er stood) I probally made the most post in a row (9 post in row without reaction from other members) without a warn

Maybe I was lucky there or the admins just love my words when I was praying them while you were burning them to the ground.

Love those old days, will get here more to hear stories and see old friends from AB long time ago :whistling:

Ps. got somewhere on a back-up a soundtrack where you can hear Puffy (Puffin) sing...maybe I should dig it up :bleh:

Regards,

Wormpaul aka WP

Dino 02-01-2009 09:52 PM

I'm happy to see another old member here. Welcome back, wormpaul! :)

BTW, is the young individual that you're reffering to maybe Danny252?

Scatty 02-01-2009 10:10 PM

Maybe it's rather Yamcha.

Japo 02-01-2009 10:45 PM

I don't remember Danny being negative and fighting against the admins :omg:

_r.u.s.s. 02-01-2009 11:04 PM

danny was always flame-y

Caged 02-01-2009 11:41 PM

@Wormpaul

huh, wow, Kenya...thats nowhere even near where i thought you were 0_o

somehow i always pictured you in France for some reason...

Japo 03-01-2009 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. (Post 346734)
danny was always flame-y

I still don't remember that. :dunno: Examples?

Anyway Danny himself will drop by sooner or later. Coming, coming...

BTW welcome back WP :)

The Fifth Horseman 03-01-2009 11:52 AM

Danny didn't really fight the admins... but his "poster from hell" title was there for a reason.

Dino 03-01-2009 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman (Post 346756)
Danny didn't really fight the admins... but his "poster from hell" title was there for a reason.

That's exactly why he came to my mind...

Dave 03-01-2009 01:57 PM

Great guys, I see that many of you are coming back :)
I have other candies for you...waiting a new green light from Data to do other changes to the forum...

Havell 03-01-2009 04:23 PM

I think the member Wormpaul is thinking of is Indignus. He had a fairly enduring revolutionary topic.

I recall my avatar of the week thingy running for a few months and spanning lots of the forum's members. I was dead chuffed with that.

Dino 03-01-2009 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Havell (Post 346793)
I think the member Wormpaul is thinking of is Indignus. He had a fairly enduring revolutionary topic.

Found the gem you're talking about - Revolution thread

:D

Havell 03-01-2009 05:27 PM

Hahaha, that's the one.

Reading that thread reminded me of another awesome member from the past, omg. His name required the code for the smiley :omg: to be changed so it didn't keep popping up when people talked about him.

We had a great time hanging out in the English Gentlemen's Club thread. Until Data closed it :(

Hoping for him to come back is probably one step of optimism too far though.

wormpaul 03-01-2009 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dino (Post 346728)
I'm happy to see another old member here. Welcome back, wormpaul! :)

BTW, is the young individual that you're reffering to maybe Danny252?

Yessss

It was Danny252, he was that 9 year old kid that made a picture of me (searching again in old files)

Maybe there is some minsunderstanding about his role but sure I can tell he was spamming and flaming (against mod/admin) from time to time!!

Not that heavy as that other topic named above (that was just sick in my eyes) but more with a sense of humor and positive correction...still sometimes very angry and frustrating (specially for a kid) but always loved his fights against everyone who didn't liked his spam :nuts:

Thx for remembering the right name!!!!

@ Kenya

It's true that I don't live there, just hate to name real personal information on the world wide web, but if you think of France...go a little bit higher (skip that non country Belgium) and then you got the place where I live :bleh:

wormpaul 03-01-2009 06:27 PM

http://members.lycos.nl/wormpaul/danny252%20as%20me.png
A Picture that Danny made for me, based on the avatar I always used in that time (got it back on now)

marko river 03-01-2009 10:14 PM

I see it but I don't believe it!!!! Wormpaul is here!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

And you got you old avatar back too!!! Man, how are you????

If my memories are correct you are dutch. Good to see you man.

Well, at least this topic has some "old spirit"... Not bad for a start :thumbs:

edit: just dig this up http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/sho...light=yourslef
I really had no reason to question any admin, just wanted to start some fire and see some opinions... Well, forums are for discussions, right? :)

Dino 03-01-2009 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko_river (Post 346838)
edit: just dig this up http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/sho...light=yourslef
I really had no reason to question any admin, just wanted to start some fire and see some opinions... Well, forums are for discussions, right? :)

My god, that was even before I joined... :)

Morrin 04-01-2009 07:54 AM

Well, I have to say this new look really looks more like home but I have to remain tough and say that I still love the old abandonia. :(

Romano 04-01-2009 02:01 PM

I think Snail Mail was also a good idea: http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/sho...ght=snail+mail

Unfortunately it dies :D
Maybe it could come to life again!

Dino 04-01-2009 02:02 PM

Yeah, "Snail Mail" is a legendary thread. Too bad I'm too lazy to send postcards. :D

marko river 04-01-2009 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dino (Post 346849)
My god, that was even before I joined... :)

Doesn't matter when you joined, it's what you carry inside :D :bleh: :thumbs:

Dino 04-01-2009 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko_river (Post 346969)
Doesn't matter when you joined, it's what you carry inside :D :bleh: :thumbs:

That was almost poetic. :D

hahajejeje 04-01-2009 05:47 PM

yikes!

no no no,the old abandonia was more simple,the new look is much better now.

Dino 04-01-2009 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hahajejeje (Post 346984)

I wouldn't agree. I preferred the old one as it had a warmer atmosphere and didn't suffer from any bugs.

punch999 05-01-2009 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hahajejeje (Post 346984)

If I stay on this site for more then an hour my eyes bleed.

And the old site had less features but all of them worked

Yobor 05-01-2009 04:11 AM

Much agreed. Abandonia seems to be one of the few places in the world where the "good old days" really were better and it's not simply us remembering an idealized version of events.

Or maybe not.

Dave 05-01-2009 06:34 AM

Time warp opened :)
(Thanks to Japo for the site!)

http://web.archive.org/web/200603152...rew&country=en

Doink 05-01-2009 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David86 (Post 347038)
Time warp opened :)
(Thanks to Japo for the site!)

http://web.archive.org/web/200603152...rew&country=en

Interesting stats:

Back then
212483 posts
Members :6597
Most users ever online was 142 on May 29 2005, 12:52 AM

Right now
347,374 posts
Members: 77,936
Most users ever online was 103, 10-15-2008 at 05:44 PM.

So we've picked up alot of bots.

Romano 05-01-2009 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wormpaul (Post 346804)
@ Kenya

It's true that I don't live there, just hate to name real personal information on the world wide web, but if you think of France...go a little bit higher (skip that non country Belgium) and then you got the place where I live :bleh:

Well, when I have recounting manually Peaces of Eight for all contributing members that were not renewed their accounts, I have send all of them to Kenya at Shella Beach.
I was there and I spend a great time swimming in the Indian Ocean (With sharks - it's a joke :P) I'm sure you will enjoy there, too, and that is the only reason why some members still have been from Kenya. :D

http://www.freeebay.net/site/images//shella%20beach.jpg

For what a reason I can not add any attachment here ???

The Fifth Horseman 05-01-2009 01:47 PM

Quote:

For what a reason I can not add any attachment here ???
Most likely because attachments are not enabled for this part of the forums.

Romano 05-01-2009 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman (Post 347065)
Most likely because attachments are not enabled for this part of the forums.

Ah so. Thank you TfH :)

Japo 05-01-2009 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doink (Post 347046)
So we've picked up alot of bots.

Welcome to the digital era. They'll be very valuable members once they gain self-conscience. :p

Can you believe these bastards:
http://74.125.77.132/search?q=cache:...7&client=opera
http://74.125.77.132/search?q=cache:...3&client=opera

(It's the Google cache since that site was taken down fortunately.

EDIT: The site is up again, probably not legal issues, they're based in Russia. :oh: Bastards.)

Dave 03-02-2009 12:42 PM

As you may have noticed Abandonia is awakening, you are all invited to be part of this community again. Something is moving into Abandonia Reloaded too, but that's not into our jurisdiction :amused:

I'm talking about old users, helpers, contributors, or simply lurkers that loved this site. We did huge steps forward during last months and the crew is doing well, I'm sure with your presence we could do better.
I can't list all of you...my memory is not so good :oh:

Enjoy the site and our forums :)

Romano 03-02-2009 03:32 PM

I like your attitude :)
It is to early to say definitely, but you apply for the position of the best Abandonia administrator ever :D

Dave 03-02-2009 03:37 PM

Nahh, that won't be fair for the other Admins that work hard to make this place better ;)

Romano 03-02-2009 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David86 (Post 351510)
Nahh, that won't be fair for the other Admins that work hard to make this place better ;)

Including me :p

OK. I see that you have not updated Abandonia to abandonware rings any more.
I will do it. Not to much work, but it will increase visits for at least 5%.

Dave 03-02-2009 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romano Krauth (Post 351511)
OK. I see that you have not updated Abandonia to abandonware rings any more.
I will do it. Not to much work, but it will increase visits for at least 5%.

I asked around but nobody offered his/her help yet for that task, except you of course :)
Thank you!

Romano 03-02-2009 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David86 (Post 351517)
I asked around but nobody offered his/her help yet for that task, except you of course :)
Thank you!

We have a deal :)
I'm a new / old "rings updater" :D

Blood-Pigggy 03-02-2009 09:25 PM

I remember when U-Boat David was destroyed in the SB by Russ and Himmler.

hahajejeje 04-02-2009 12:01 AM

I remember when this page starts!!,but i didn make a member,y only enjoy the games here,such as Ufo 2000,settlers.....

Dino 04-02-2009 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blood-Pigggy (Post 351590)
I remember when U-Boat David was destroyed in the SB by Russ and Himmler.

I didn't witness that one, unfortunately. Exactly how destroyed was he? :D

Dave 04-02-2009 06:00 PM

Look what I've found :doh:

http://www.grapheine.com/bombaytv/in...9919a81c25c80f

Dino 04-02-2009 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David86 (Post 351714)

Hahahaha! Priceless.

You know, David, we should make one of those with... you know... power... 9000... :D

TheChosen 04-02-2009 06:29 PM

The unoffical Abandonia movie

Leftovers

hahajejeje 04-02-2009 06:43 PM

hahaha funny

_r.u.s.s. 04-02-2009 06:43 PM

ohh that reminds me of horseman mock :D
the speech used in the movie is actuall quote of the horseman talking in chatbox after there have been quite an intriguing chat between ubc and me with himmler

Japo 04-02-2009 07:35 PM

A pop remake featuring the Abandonia admins:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6iFD6-sc-A

Dunno who's who though :P

_r.u.s.s. 04-02-2009 07:41 PM

how dare you filth this topic by posting japanese songs in it..?

hahajejeje 04-02-2009 08:02 PM

Japanes songs are great,like nobodyknows+ band,but this is somekind of mix with trash (warez talk off) and bronw "stuff".Seriusly Japofran what the hell is that?!?!

Japo 04-02-2009 08:35 PM

Let me soil your eyes further. :) The remake of Titan vs. the Bots:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW1S2tsxVHg

sgtboat 04-02-2009 09:04 PM

You all have way too much time on your hands.

JoM 04-02-2009 09:57 PM

I remember when the site was first set up with just a handful of games. Luckily it had the game I was looking for - The Settlers 2 so I decided to patronise it from time to time.

When the forums went up I considered becoming more involved in the site but studying got in the way of that, unfortunately. I was gratified to find my account still existed when I thought of this place again a few weeks ago. It's quite funny seeing that I have a join date earlier than quite a few admins/super mods.

How I got this signature is a mystery, though, as I never remember putting it there but 6 years is a long time I suppose. I also find the title of "Junior Member" somewhat insulting as if there's anything I'm not, it's a junior :P

U-Boat Commander David 29-04-2009 09:32 AM

I still vividly remember absolutely pointless and retarded (on my part, be sure) discussions about almost everything in the entire world. Reading stuff now i back then took serious.....:hysterical:

And lets not forget all that shoutbox-spam-action. It was even called "davids monologue box" for some time. I enjoyed the repeated "attacks" by me and "the punisher" on the forum, and just in general being an annoying prick wich lead to quite a few warnings and even a short term ban.

Also, i played my first ever online game with people from the forum. Some multiplayer version of ufo with "six apes" and a few other members. I raged so hard because i lost almost all the time, but got lucky on the 3rd round. I'll never forget that.

One of the funniest things ever was when "MightyMidget" (i think that was it) went into ranting mode because he sucked at silent hunter 3 wich i reccomended to him.

The many avatars i had always resulted in pretty funny comments as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lulu_Jane (Post 344711)
For some strange reason I remember little UBC Dave fondly, his teenage brand of ADD always made me laugh.

Haha, oh yes, im sure of that.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scatty (Post 344713)
Oh yes, well, his visit was short but shiny.

Im still surfacing from time to time.

Danny252 04-05-2009 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. (Post 346734)
danny was always flame-y

...I resent that statement.

I was spammy, not flamey :(

_r.u.s.s. 05-05-2009 10:04 AM

sorry i mistaken you for punch LOL

i always messed your names

Danny252 05-05-2009 04:05 PM

Now that's just cruelty D:

JJXB 07-05-2009 07:31 AM

i may not post here hardly ever now but meh. i don't have any specific memories about abandonia really but it's been odd how much it's changed over the years.

_r.u.s.s. 07-05-2009 09:10 AM

how's your girlfriend with hentai on her desktop background?

JJXB 07-05-2009 11:57 AM

she's fine. not as much into hentai as before but she does still like it.

punch999 20-06-2009 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. (Post 362864)
sorry i mistaken you for punch LOL

i always messed your names

You biiitch.

_r.u.s.s. 21-06-2009 01:38 PM

you should be the glad one actually

punch999 21-06-2009 07:53 PM

Why?

punch999 22-06-2009 03:09 AM

I would like to point out for a abandonian memory. That Yobor has infact seen me completely naked.

Lulu_Jane 22-06-2009 08:44 AM

My first memory of here is offering to review some game that was so terribly translated from Italian that I just couldn't do it. I avoided it for weeks, then I ended up feeling really guilty and wrote an apology letter to Kosta... Bless him, he replied and told me not to worry. I still get a tingle of embarrassment when I think about the letter now.

TheChosen 23-06-2009 12:36 AM

When I first came here, I wrote a silly comment in the Spellcasting thread (I actually did forgot the name of the games). Then, I kind of stuck around and after I moved in to 3xblah for casual conversation, I started making lots of polls.

Lulu_Jane 23-06-2009 08:59 AM

Were you the cake vs. pie guy?

Fubb 07-08-2009 10:06 PM

New this summer, TheChosen returns in the hilarious sequel to "Naught Dumpster Nurses 7", a new comedy called "TC IS: THE CAKE VS. PIE GUY"

Man that'd sell.

TheChosen 08-08-2009 09:13 AM

I wasnt that guy

Fubb 08-08-2009 11:49 PM

:mhh: you look allot liek him

Evad 09-07-2010 03:29 AM

wow

This thread is sort of a microcosm of the site, for is not the point of this whole endeavor appreciation of the past?Can't believe that my account is still active !!
Still come here occasionally; not much in forums, anywhere, these days; but, definitely reminisce now and again of the good old days of Abandonia (at least for me) .
was heart warming to actually seen my name in here...even if it was in '05 lol.
peace out.

StaaViinsZ 22-09-2013 05:23 AM

Ah, Memories...

Ah, Memories... This September on the The Best AB Gamer Thread...:lol:

And of course... Uhm...

Well, that's about it. :hihihi:

Poke Out.

STUVAN=_=

Kugerfang 10-04-2014 06:05 AM

The time Kosta asked me to review a game... and I never did.

*puts on sunglasses*

Dino 23-08-2019 09:44 AM

This seemed like a proper place to sign in. Still alive. Still kicking.

Wishing all the best to old crew, wherever you may be...

Doubler 01-06-2020 02:02 AM

It is a really strange sensation when you google how to do something in a game, only for it to send you to a post you yourself wrote 14 years ago answering that very question...

DrWho42 01-06-2020 05:22 AM

my earliest memory may have been downloading simtower, which had good build-up. :OK:

Scatty 01-06-2020 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubler (Post 484947)
It is a really strange sensation when you google how to do something in a game, only for it to send you to a post you yourself wrote 14 years ago answering that very question...

I've had that one, for a couple of games. Ironically enough, Abandonia remains as one of the biggest sources of game / troubleshooting info, be it on more obscure, or very well known games. If not even, lately, in some cases only source by now.

yoga 19-07-2020 07:19 AM

Наше Вам почтение

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scatty (Post 484949)
I've had that one, for a couple of games. Ironically enough, Abandonia remains as one of the biggest sources of game / troubleshooting info, be it on more obscure, or very well known games. If not even, lately, in some cases only source by now.

:smile2:
OFF

Sehr geehrte Scatty,

Was denkst Sie über das Spiel Arx Fatalis 2003 Arcana, hast du es

gespielt?

Ihre Meinung wird wie immer sehr geschätzt.

все тот же назойливой Володя

ну, ну я не русский несмотря на русское имя

скромный болгарь

Scatty 19-07-2020 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoga (Post 485024)
Sehr geehrte Scatty,

Was denkst Sie über das Spiel Arx Fatalis 2003 Arcana, hast du es

gespielt?

Arx Fatalis is one of my most favourite games, just played it through recently again. It's very immersive, because there's almost no music at all except in story-based narration sequences, it relies entirey on ambience sounds and the quiet mood. In many ways similar to Ultima Underworld I & II (in fact it was back then a spiritual successor, at least design-wise), unfortunately also much too short, I wish it would be a bigger game and last longer.
Highly recommended, also if you intend to play it on Windows 8 or 10 you'd probably need to install the Arx Libertatis port of the game, it enables the game to run on modern systems while making no changes to it gameplay-wise.

yoga 19-07-2020 03:54 PM

Absolutely correct

Yes, yes this a very nice game indeed.

And Yes the gamer has to install and start Arx Libertatis 1.1.2.

The humble yoga starving to reach powerful Capo the best gamer in AB (i think this is unmöglich-impossible) started the game and just killed both snake - Frauen and first artefact is mine.

What was Yr hardest moment, please?

OFF
Dear Mod, please excuse my fail.

I thought I was writing a personal message to Mr. Scatty
and I was wrong. I'm sorry

Scatty 26-07-2020 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoga (Post 485026)
What was Yr hardest moment, please?

That would be me trying to stay alive when attacked by the Evil Chicken of Hell when summoned through a specially modified Summon Demon spell (with 3 Mega runes at the start). I don't even mention the insanely deadly Ylside with golden armor, which sometimes gets summoned instead, that is only possible through cheesy tactics.

yoga 29-07-2020 03:16 AM

The good old times

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scatty (Post 485040)
That would be me trying to stay alive when attacked by the Evil Chicken of Hell when summoned through a specially modified Summon Demon spell (with 3 Mega runes at the start). I don't even mention the insanely deadly Ylside with golden armor, which sometimes gets summoned instead, that is only possible through cheesy tactics.

Yes, the game is not easy at all, even if you take advantage in the first room, when moving a bone 10 times you get a wonderful weapon, armor and all spells. I keep crying that this game is not followed by 2nd, 3rd ..:blush:

OFF
I started again Clouds of Xeen (for 13 times) using nice ExoDos. Sehr gut.

yoga 29-07-2020 06:03 AM

No luck

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by yoga (Post 485055)
Yes, the game is not easy at all, even if you take advantage in the first room, when moving a bone 10 times you get a wonderful weapon, armor and all spells. I keep crying that this game is not followed by 2nd, 3rd ..:blush:

OFF
I started again Clouds of Xeen (for 13 times) using nice ExoDos. Sehr gut.

..... but always there is some NO - being in Vertigo town and trying to enter an option of Smith or Food service the game freezed.. (I enclose file with above mentioned Food seller)
Trying to Reload saves again freezed.
Very bad.
I tried DosBox - same result.
Maybe some Virtual box to install XP.
Duno:(

Hunter Hunted 20-09-2022 08:42 AM

Perhaps I wasn't as active on here as some users were, but I did have some good banter on Abandonia years ago.

Sadly, Twitter, Reddit, Facebook and all that pish just had to come along and render message boards so very dead. About the only active gaming forum left online is GameFAQs. There's ResetEra too, and NeoGAF. But ResetEra is hard to sign up to.

However, I don't recommend visiting GameFAQs or GameSpot at all. I posted there in the past and there were so many tossers responding, not really contributing anything that made being active worth my while. So I left, only to be more active on sites I hadn't really visited much. The response was much better, until this pathetic Australian fool showed up in 2017 on biohaze.com, and has been stalking me on a regular basis ever since. But Jesus. I have known this idiot since 2004. So that's rather sad, to be honest.

Time catches up with everything.

The current time is 12:57 PM (GMT)