Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Games Discussion (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Laura Bow 2 - The Dagger of Amon-Ra (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=634)

Kosta 20-08-2004 11:21 PM

Laura Bow 2 - The Dagger of Amon-Ra

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review

xndr2181 21-08-2004 02:14 AM

Good game, but can be frustrating some times, let me know if anyone needs help, cause god knows I could used someone, lol.
-Sean

wendymaree 22-08-2004 11:09 AM

Your review made the game sound very intriguing, Xndr. It sounds like something I could get into, whereas normally I prefer fantasy. Laura Bow 2 reminds me of Broken Sword for some reason. The screenshots look gorgeous and authentic for the period the game was set in. :)

Omuletzu 22-08-2004 01:55 PM

Sierra games always had verry good graphics for their time!

xndr2181 22-08-2004 04:53 PM

Yeah, I recommend this game to anyone, but just be forwarned it's verrry tough to beat the game. Just let me know if any of you get stuck, I'll see what I can do.
-Sean

FreeFreddy 22-08-2004 04:57 PM

Slimer :P

xndr2181 22-08-2004 05:18 PM

Quote:

Slimer *:P
you lost me there Freddy?
-Sean

FreeFreddy 22-08-2004 05:22 PM

Nope, I seem to have no troubles there, yet. :D

wendymaree 22-08-2004 05:43 PM

As a moderator, FreeFreddy, aren't you supposed to offer constructive and helpful comments? Rudness is not a good advertisement for the site. :?

FreeFreddy 22-08-2004 05:45 PM

Quote:

As a moderator, FreeFreddy, aren't you supposed to offer constructive and helpful comments? *Rudness is not a good advertisement for the site. *:?
Ehmm, that was just a joke, you know? :? :roll:

wendymaree 22-08-2004 05:54 PM

I know you might have meant it as one, FreeFreddy, but it can be hurtful to be called names on a site where many people read the postings...especially when someone's only trying to be helpful. 8)

FreeFreddy 22-08-2004 06:18 PM

Well, you're right, so I must to apologize for that. :oops:

wendymaree 22-08-2004 06:24 PM

Thank you, FreeFreddy. Very nice of you. :)

JoA 24-08-2004 05:58 AM

Just found your site yesterday and downloaded Laura Bow. Seems to run O.K. except that the audio doesn't work on my machine - the music's fine though. I find the same problem with quite a few of the older Sierra games and can't use DosBox as I only run Win98 (the original version) and I don't think you can use VDM sound either - is that correct? I'll play the game anyway but wondered if there is anyway of getting the audio to work.

Good site by the way and I just found you by accident. :)

FreeFreddy 24-08-2004 06:11 AM

Actually, I think DosBox functions in Windows 98 too, but perhaps slightly slower as in Windows XP.
You say you have Windows 98, which soundcard do you have there? I ask that, because if you have Soundblaster Live!, there are drivers for it available on it's drivers-CD. There are these drivers available for download on this site in Drivers-section (of course :wink: ) too, maybe they work even for other, newer Soundblaster models than the ones listed there. In my case they also only work in Windows 98 (SE), but not in Windows XP, so you should have no problems there...
Try it out and say, if that didn't help.

JoA 24-08-2004 06:22 AM

Gee, that was a quick reply and thanks. :D My soundcard is an ESS Solo-1 Sound Blaster Compatible (WDM)/ ESS Solo-1 PCI Audio Drive (WDM) - just as old as the machine itself! I updated my video card so that's fine and also have enough RAM, it's always just been the actual audio/speech that I have problems with. I'll check out the drivers section, not sure if I even know what to do with them at the moment, but I generally find that I can manage things if I can find enough information. :wink:

So far as DosBox is concerned, I was told by someone on another site awhile ago that it's no use with Win.98 - but of course that person may never have tried it with anything other than XP.,

FreeFreddy 24-08-2004 06:42 AM

You say, you have that ESS Solo-1 Sound Blaster Compatible (WDM)/ ESS Solo-1 PCI Audio Drive (WDM) soundcard. To be honest, I never heard anything of that one (always had only Soundblaster cards, too :D ), but if it is Soundblaster-compatible, those compatible soundcards mostly only support plain Soundblaster or Soundblaster 2.0-setting, not Soundblaster Pro or Soundblaster 16. Also the Soundblaster-sound does not work with system-drivers that Windows 98 uses to contact the soundcard. It's because the settings for them in Dos are different as in Windows and they don't support Ms-Dos sound in any way, so you'll most surely need these drivers for sound in Dos, or, if they don't work, try to search on www.google.de for the drivers for this card specifically.

Guest_guest 29-08-2004 11:09 PM

Just wanted to thank you for putting this game up. I used to play it when I was eleven or twelve, and have been searching for it since i got a pc two or three years ago. True angels!

Tom Henrik 30-08-2004 12:10 AM

Just watch out. We will soon put up the first Laura Bow game ;)

BillyBuerger 22-09-2004 03:22 AM

Does anyone have the copy-protection codes for this one? I actually bought this game many years ago. I wanted to play again but then couldn't find the book.

Thanks!

Michelle 02-10-2004 03:10 PM

I had just found your site yesterday and was so excited to download the Laura Bow games (I've always thought amon ra was the one and only!) but unfortunately everytime I download them they seem to be corrupted..is there anyone that can help me? maybe it's just me idk, but I would love any suggestions..

thanks!

Tom Henrik 02-10-2004 04:23 PM

That is strange. Have you tried to turn off your firewall? Maybe it stops the transfer.

Rhiannon 18-10-2004 01:12 AM

I bought the King's Quest Collection in '97 (I was twelve... damn, that's long ago), and it came with this game. Unfortunately, I've recently lost the first disk (install disk), so I'm trying to replace all of the games now. I LOVE Laura Bow! I've always had trouble beating this game, though, and I've NEVER managed a good ending. Must... defeat... it...!!!

I DO miss hearing Laura's cute little southern drawl. The voices don't work on my machine, it seems, even with Vdm Sound. I won't touch DOS box with a 10 foot pole. Bad memories of it.

I'm on Win XP, and I don't know what my sound card is. I have two listed under system info, I think. The top one is Creative Audigy Audio Processor, and the second is SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio. Any help would be appreciated. I must hear Steve's voice again! Swoon...

Spikey 28-10-2004 06:52 AM

Ah.. it seems LBII runs on 'audblast.drv'. I've got a patch somewhere to fix this game..

Oh goody, it's already on my FTP.

Grab it here:
http://smc.sq7.org/miscfile/sb16drv.exe

Regards,
- Spike

P.S. Note that you can contact me at agillett@(bracketsincludedtostopspiders)ihug.com.a u if you need further assistance.

Cassima 06-12-2004 11:02 PM

I have Windows XP and have no sound either. The game started up saying it couldn't initialize audio hardware. So, I downloaded sb16drv.exe, unzipped it, and put it in the folder with the other LB II files. Now the game starts up without the audio message, but still, no sound. When I unzipped the file, it asked if I wanted to replace audblast.drv. I said yes, and that was probably a mistake. However, the audblast file is still there. It also asked if I wanted to replace a readme file, and I said yes. Any ideas? You are so awesome to make this game available to everyone!!!

Manawhore 18-12-2004 12:30 AM

one of the first pc games i ever played, became a total obsession when i was ten years old. :bleh: brings back memories

Guest 22-12-2004 10:09 PM

wow... I rember that I searched for this game for so long! Now I thought "okay let's give it a try again" and what did I see? I've found it on the first side I clicked on! Yeah!! I'm so happy! This game is so interessing because here you really have to think.

Rosella 23-12-2004 11:45 AM

:ok: I love this game! I actually still have the original that I too got with the KQ Collection. The only problem I had was that I could never seem to answer the questions at the end correctly..

Johnny C 25-12-2004 04:30 AM

Hey, I got this game out of the KQC and recently installed it on a new computer. Now, unfortunately, I cannot get the graphics to work in XP at all. Any ideas?

wendymaree 25-12-2004 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Rhiannon@Oct 18 2004, 01:12 AM

I DO miss hearing Laura's cute little southern drawl. The voices don't work on my machine, it seems, even with Vdm Sound. I won't touch DOS box with a 10 foot pole. Bad memories of it.

I must hear Steve's voice again! Swoon...

Don't think the voices are included in this version, unfortunately.

wendymaree 25-12-2004 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Johnny C@Dec 25 2004, 05:30 AM
Hey, I got this game out of the KQC and recently installed it on a new computer. Now, unfortunately, I cannot get the graphics to work in XP at all. Any ideas?
Johnny, not having XP I'm no expert. But I do know that many of these old games need to be played with Dosbox if you use this OS.

Download For Dosbox

Basic Setup and Users Guide

Help needed 27-12-2004 01:39 PM

Hello!

I just downloaded the game yesterday and started to play, but I have no idea what to do and where to go! When I go out of building I cannot go anywhere except call the taxi, but the taxist says that he cannot drive me because I have to be a member of trib! Then Laura says she does work in the newspapers and he asks her to proove it, but I don't know how!
So, what should I do?

Can't open the ZIP 10-01-2005 09:32 PM

Everytime I try to open the zip file it tells me it is either corrupt or not in normal zip format. I'm running XP and using PowerArchiver to unzip. Is there something wrong with my settings or is the file corrupt? Anyone got help?

Anovich 19-01-2005 03:19 PM

No WAY. I have to RESTART because I forget to pick up a freakin boot in act 4????
CHRIST! Anyway it's a very good game in spite of all that stuff u miss out on.
I'm pretty sure Jane Jensen must have been inspired by the Laura Bow games when making Gabriel Knight 3, I seem to recognize certain similarities in the detective teqniques :)

Hooba 19-01-2005 10:34 PM

I absolutely LOVE this game.
I think I still have the box!
All of you major adventure fans should really check this out.
It may start off a little slow (with some unrelated stories and characters),
yet, it's picks up once you get to the museum.
And boy, talk about some exotic and grisly deaths...
An absolutely fabulous game. It's a pretty clever mystery where your involvement determines how much of the mystery you uncover and the ending you get (one is particularly hilarious).
:rifle:
Anyway, I don't want to ruin anything else for you.
If you enjoyed the first game, you'll most likely appreciate this one.
Either way, check it out and try to stay away from any of those damn walkthroughs that may tempt you along the way.
And make sure you save a lot (see Anovich's comment).
Have fun!

Calamity 11-02-2005 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Anovich@Jan 19 2005, 04:19 PM
No WAY. I have to RESTART because I forget to pick up a freakin boot in act 4????
I'm pretty sure Jane Jensen must have been inspired by the Laura Bow games when making Gabriel Knight 3, I seem to recognize certain similarities in the detective teqniques :)

Actually you're quite right in a way. Ms Jensen did a little bit of work on Dagger (namely voice acting in the talkie version) so I'm sure it must have influenced her a bit. :ok:

I recently found out about the site and I've got to say you folks are doing a bang-up job. I had the absolute hardest time finding Dagger, I ended up getting it off a Russian site but if only I knew about this place a little earlier it would've saved me a whole lot of effort getting half these games, especially from P2P programs (which is where I got pretty much all the LSL games and Police Quest IV) where you always run the risk of people leaving before the download completes.

Guest 12-02-2005 12:56 PM

ok, i've downloaded the game [took me forever to find] and now i can't open any of the zip files. i'm not to keen on MS-DOS, so any help would be appreciated. maybe a walkthrough on what i should be doing or what i could be doing wrong? i'm currently have XP on my computer.

Sammo 12-02-2005 06:24 PM

Woah, what a wonderful game!

Always had a soft spot for Miss Bow...She was my first, ya know. :w00t:

Yeah, actually The Colonel's Bequest was the first computer game I managed to end...well, maybe because it was almost impossible not to finish it: you could pretty much sleepwalk through it all, ending with an absymal rating of course... :whistle:
In this one, not only you have to actually pay attention during all the events, since you'll get to put your evidences and intuitions to use (the ending trial...pure genius!), but the killer in an act is actually trying to get ya....he ain't just lurking in shadowy corners or waiting for you to take a shower like in Colonel's Bequest ! LOL

Nonetheless, the museum is quite spooky, but nothing can beat Dijon Mansion IMO: hey, in CB there was a murderer on the loose and NOBODY would believe you about his presence...in this one, the bodies don't vanish in thin air before anyone can see it! :D

Sadly, they don't make games like this anymore...oh, old Sierra games! They were so funny! Maybe it was because they could be so marvelously stupid at times, like in this game, where you DIE everytime you DON'T WATCH BOTH WAYS WHEN YOU CROSS THE ROAD... Oh, how much I miss these games!

Sammo from Italy

skatesa207 27-02-2005 03:40 AM

i loved this game damn its so original, there is actually a very good story and characters that unfold. i think that they should re-release these games with the modern technology they have and maybe even make them 3-d, this one would be hella creepy in 3-d, but this game is kind of humurous, so i dont know if making it scary would be a good idea. anyways, thanks for putting up this game.

Maftik 04-03-2005 06:59 PM

Hello everybody
Now I´m not playing the games anymore but when I was a teenager I LOVED (!!!) the adventures. Laura bow 2 is ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC AND GENIAL GAME!!!!!!!! Although I don´t play games anymore, I have one "wish" that still wasn´t fulfilled and it is the last thing from the adventure world that I would really like to get know. Well, in Laura Bow 2 as you surely know, you must use your detective skill or ability, cause on the end of the game you will be given a lot of question about who killed who and why and who did what and why. It is your task during the game to watch everything absolutely carefully, think logically and put things into relations to decover the mystery, or, simply, to get know who killed who and why etc. Well, this is it - although I wanted to get know this during playing the game myslef (I´ve played it several times) I failed and I had to look into direction of our czech computer game magazine called excalibur. Well, there were written the right answers - BUT THERE WASN´ T WRITTEN HOW TO STRIKE THE TRACKS, HOW TO FIND THE DETAILS, SIMPLY WHAT I HAD TO NOTICE IN THE CONCRETE TO UNCOVER THE MURDERER, HOW COULD I FIND THAT FIRST KILLED SECOND etc. If here is somebody who have a little of time and know it everything, or at least something, please really please write it to me :cry: :tomato: :bye: :help: :Brain: my email is: maftik@seznam.cz. This is the last thing from adventure world I want to know, then the piece of my adventure heart can definitely die and rest in peace :angel:

Doc Adrian 05-03-2005 09:01 PM

Another great Sierra Adventure, I miss those folks.

Where else can you see "Death by Porcupine!" :evil: Poor Laura must need lots of Therapy after finding all the bodies between part 1 and 2.

Cowowar 07-03-2005 04:45 AM

god, i love this game. the part at the end where you're being chased by the killer was really cool (but REALLY hard :wall: ), definitely not something you see very often.

Anovich 10-03-2005 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Calamity+Feb 11 2005, 05:51 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Calamity @ Feb 11 2005, 05:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Anovich@Jan 19 2005, 04:19 PM
I'm pretty sure Jane Jensen must have been inspired by the Laura Bow games when making Gabriel Knight 3, I seem to recognize certain similarities in the detective teqniques* :)

Actually you're quite right in a way. Ms Jensen did a little bit of work on Dagger (namely voice acting in the talkie version) so I'm sure it must have influenced her a bit. :ok:

I recently found out about the site and I've got to say you folks are doing a bang-up job. I had the absolute hardest time finding Dagger, I ended up getting it off a Russian site but if only I knew about this place a little earlier it would've saved me a whole lot of effort getting half these games, especially from P2P programs (which is where I got pretty much all the LSL games and Police Quest IV) where you always run the risk of people leaving before the download completes. [/b][/quote]
there's.... a talkie version???? :w00t:

Calamity 10-03-2005 12:32 PM

Yes ma'am! Bloody hard to find though (next to impossile on the net to find for download sadly). I found the cd version being sold on ebay for $1 once but I lacked any sort of cash at the time (:() so that's probably your best bet. :ok:

Anovich 10-03-2005 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Calamity@Mar 10 2005, 01:32 PM
Yes ma'am! Bloody hard to find though (next to impossile on the net to find for download sadly). I found the cd version being sold on ebay for $1 once but I lacked any sort of cash at the time (:() so that's probably your best bet. :ok:
oooooh I'm intrigued.... e-bay here I come!

Amy 15-03-2005 10:00 PM

I cant seem to play laura Bow 2...it keeps saying " unable to initialize your audio hardware" I have windows XP right now...what should I do??

Amy 15-03-2005 10:23 PM

never mind..this is the old version where there is only text....the newer version inkings quest collection series is awesome cause you can here their voices. oh well.....

Guest_Chris 24-03-2005 08:39 PM

Just DL'ed this game the other day but it won't let me get the skeleton key from the painting. I'll put the wire cutters or the dagger right over it and it just gives some generic response about how it's not accomplishing anything or whatever...anybody else having this problem?

Tatuin 28-03-2005 04:15 PM

Where could I find the codes?

Romnut 07-04-2005 06:20 AM

This game will run on XP with VDMSOUND-only music-not speech.

When you get the message "cannot initalize the audio hardware", just hit enter and the game starts up.

Eden 11-04-2005 07:34 AM

ok, so far I reckon I'm doing well. learnt loads about all the scandal and shady goings on, but I cant get that damn key off the painiting! I tried both the wire cutters and the dagger, but all I get is the "that doesnt achieve anything"-type message! I know Im in the right place cos the messages for the eye and hand icon make it clear I am. Can anyone tell me where Im going wrong? I'm loving this game and I wanna get on to act 4!!!!!!

Eden 11-04-2005 08:00 AM

It's ok, I figured it out now. You gotta use the magnifying glass on the key a second time before you try to remove it. D'oh!

guma.kawauso 28-04-2005 04:37 PM

I got a serious problem! In the act entitled "Rex Takes a Bite Out of Crime" I am stuck trying to get out of the sercet temple. Like the walkthoughs said, use the snake oil on the snakes. Did that. They went away. I continued up the passage to the rats, but this is where the problem is! I can't access my inventory to throw the cheese!

Does anyone else have this problem? I'd really like to finish this game.

Guma Kawauso

Guest 09-06-2005 03:54 AM

I am soo stuck!!! I have talked to everyone and listened to their conversations, looked at the daggers in the gift shop, got the water glass,etc. The problem is that all the characters have left the rotunda but Wolf Heimlich is still blocking me from getting past the room with all the paintings. There is no one left for me to talk to and nothing that I can figure out left to do. In all the walkthroughs it says he should be out of the way, but he still won't let me past. Can anyone help?? You can email me at kbrookewalters@yahoo.com. THANKS!!!!!

Guest 12-07-2005 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Guest@Jun 9 2005, 03:54 AM
I am soo stuck!!! I have talked to everyone and listened to their conversations, looked at the daggers in the gift shop, got the water glass,etc. The problem is that all the characters have left the rotunda but Wolf Heimlich is still blocking me from getting past the room with all the paintings. There is no one left for me to talk to and nothing that I can figure out left to do. In all the walkthroughs it says he should be out of the way, but he still won't let me past. Can anyone help?? You can email me at kbrookewalters@yahoo.com. THANKS!!!!!
If Wolf is still in the painting room then you're not supposed to go through there yet. When you're in the dinosaur bone room, you have to click right of the screen. There should be an arrow.

Act 5 bug/crash 13-07-2005 01:35 AM

I have a problem in Act 5. When Laura is being chased by the hooded guy, I make it to the armour room but can't get into the Egyptian room (what I'm supposed to do) without the game crashing. An error message pops up and says "We didn't expect you to do that, find another way to the situation, 5.1 S I" or something like that. I've heard of this bug in other forums, but I've tried all of the possible answers. Reloading from a previous save game, turning the game dials, none of them worked. I even replayed Act 4 and got more stuff and it still crashes at the same point.

Act 5 bug/crash fixed 13-07-2005 03:24 AM

Never mind...I re-installed and switched to the basic PC sound output, and it worked. Then I switched back to my regular soundblaster option after I passed the problem area.

Chronos_cvb 13-08-2005 10:39 PM

I have the original of this game and I was wondering if I needed to have Dosbox to run it on 98?

Guest 05-09-2005 11:16 PM

What the hey?? Did this game used to be available for download and is now ESA protected? When did that happen?? Is there anywhere I can get this game? I bought it from Ebay but the manual wasn't included so I can't play it unless I get lucky on one of the egyptology questions. I'm really bummed, can anybody help?

A. J. Raffles 06-09-2005 06:56 AM

Quote:

What the hey?? Did this game used to be available for download and is now ESA protected?
It was ESA-protected to begin with, but we used to have permission to host it.
Quote:

When did that happen??
11 May. See this topic for details.
Quote:

Is there anywhere I can get this game?
Not for free, I'm afraid.
Quote:

I bought it from Ebay but the manual wasn't included so I can't play it unless I get lucky on one of the egyptology questions. I'm really bummed, can anybody help?
This is your lucky day: the manual is up at replacementdocs.

Guest 05-11-2005 02:40 AM

hi i'm stuck in my game, when being chased by the killer i forgot to open the window on the empoyees only door and just pushed the chair in front of it. then i ran to the mummy room and hid then i saved. so now everytime i start the game the killer just comes in and kills me. is there anyway i could reload the next act and start over?? please help thanks!

amnesiac 23-11-2005 07:22 AM

Man, I loved these Laura Bow games. I spent hours and hours as a kid playing Colonel's Bequest...I was just fascinated by it and especially with all of the things you could miss while playing the game. I replayed it over and over to make sure and find absolutely everything out.

I wish there were more games out there like the Laura Bow series, but I think the mystery-adventure genre is finished...temporarily, at least.

tomf 01-12-2005 09:56 AM

When I am running away from the murder when I run into the mummy room the game gives me a error telling me that they did not expect me to do that and I tried reinstalling and changing the sound to pc speaker but it still happened

flowerbud08 06-02-2006 12:06 AM

hey why can you not dowload this game anyomore?

Brainpolice 26-02-2006 10:28 AM

Got a problem. Whenever I try to run Laura Bow II in DosBox, it says this:
"Can't find INTERP.ERRC"
It won't run. Do I simply need to find this file and put it in there?

Johnny Bravo 30-03-2006 02:47 AM

So I have a question for y'all that maybe you can give me a hand with.

I own the original hard disks of LB2... and since way back when I was younger and playing it I've always had one room I'm never allowed into... the African Death Mask room... the one where your suppose to find Ziggy's head... if I go into the room I can see Laura clearly.... but the entire room becomes a kaleidoscope of rainbow colors and frozen static... I can still move but if I attempt to leave the room or click on anything other than walking the dame locks up...

Any suggestions? Or maybe I just have a bad set of discks... which would suck since they're over a decade old...

The Fifth Horseman 30-03-2006 11:18 AM

a corrupt file, most definitely.

Johnny Bravo 30-03-2006 04:37 PM

Ugh drat! Figures! Durn lazy old people who don't return what's broke! (I refer to my grandfather who initially bought the game...but I digress) Oh well back to the ol' drawing board... thanks Horseman

The Fifth Horseman 31-03-2006 10:49 AM

I might send you a working copy of the bad file, if you like.
First make MD5 checksums of all files in the game directory, and send that checksum to me.

Doc Adrian 03-05-2006 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Guest@Nov 5 2005, 03:40 AM
hi i'm stuck in my game, when being chased by the killer i forgot to open the window on the empoyees only door and just pushed the chair in front of it. then i ran to the mummy room and hid then i saved. so now everytime i start the game the killer just comes in and kills me. is there anyway i could reload the next act and start over?? please help thanks!
Afraid not, if you save too far ahead you will continue to die repeatedly.

Sierra games can be fun but are very unforgiving

ammo 09-05-2006 06:03 PM

will this game the dagger of amon ra work in wondows xp?

The Fifth Horseman 10-05-2006 09:59 AM

Just read the compatibility info in the review. Only one line above the link to this thread, you know.
And to answer your question: yes.

charcoal888 23-05-2006 09:08 PM

Ok guys, I d9ownloaded this game from another abandonware site, but if i try to open them, they say they are not compatible with my computer or something. I really want ot play! Is there anything else that I need to download to be able to play? Any help would be great, thanks!

The Fifth Horseman 26-05-2006 01:49 PM

Have you extracted the ZIP or RAR archive or are you trying to run the game from inside it?

As for extra compatiblity enchancers, you might try using VDMSound and if that fails, DosBox. VDMSound consumes less system resources, but may experience problems with certain games. DosBox needs you to be a bit more computer-savy and willing to experiment with different settings, but it is by far and large the best DOS emulator around, and runs most of the games perfectly (albeit some of them might need a tweak or two in your config file)

Guest 20-06-2006 07:49 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tomf @ Dec 1 2005, 10:56 AM) [snapback]185267[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

When I am running away from the murder when I run into the mummy room the game gives me a error telling me that they did not expect me to do that and I tried reinstalling and changing the sound to pc speaker but it still happened
[/b]
I have the same problem. I tried using CPUKiller, but that did not help.

Guest 21-06-2006 05:52 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Jun 20 2006, 07:49 PM) [snapback]238252[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tomf @ Dec 1 2005, 10:56 AM) [snapback]185267[/snapback]
Quote:

[/b]
I have the same problem. I tried using CPUKiller, but that did not help.
[/b][/quote]

I THINK this only happens when you haven't done something that is needed. It could be that you forgot something to pick up or put in your notebook...

Guest 28-10-2006 07:59 PM

When I got out from the newspaper's building and called the taxi, the game simply hangs. The taxi comes, stops near Laura, the pointer changes into halt hand and that's all. Have anyone encountered similiar thing in this game?

I am playing on DOSBox

geekai 18-04-2007 02:12 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(xndr2181 @ Aug 21 2004, 02:14 AM) [snapback]9319[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Good game, but can be frustrating some times, let me know if anyone needs help, cause god knows I could used someone, LOL.
-Sean
[/b]
Hey there, I have a very silly question for you.
At the end of act 5, in the tunnel when I come across the cobras, I use the last bit of the snake oil by they do not react to it. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

faeornran 18-04-2007 09:42 PM

I love this game. It is awesome not only because of the fact that the entire game tests your ability to use reasonable logic (IE, not trial and error like most "logic" games) to survive, AND it tests your ability to pay attention to the story and surrounding details of the murder mystery. Well, provided you don't cheat. I love the Inquest at the end.

Good job, guys, another awesome Sierra classic has made it on Abandonia.

MarcoAY 27-04-2007 05:07 PM

Euh ... I'm trying to install and for some reason right at the beginning when it tells me to press enter my keyboard just doesnt seem to work :S ... I tried re-downloading the game and it does the same thing ... help would be greatly appreciated thanks!

_r.u.s.s. 28-04-2007 04:52 PM

um, might be a dumb question, but, was you using dosbox? if you did, was your dosbox window active ('clicked')?

TAMMY 07-06-2007 03:57 PM

Im having the same problem with the taxi. The hand icon just frrezes there while everything else is moving around. I'm using windows XP but I've also tried playing it in dosbox...is there a bug in the game?anyone knows how to fix this?

Guest 17-08-2007 11:47 AM

I downloaded the game, and I can play, but everytime I try to save the game just shuts down. Does anyone have an idea how to fix this?

The Fifth Horseman 17-08-2007 11:57 AM

Are you running the game in DOSBox?

Lapislazuli 17-08-2007 12:02 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Aug 17 2007, 12:57 PM) [snapback]305109[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Are you running the game in DOSBox?
[/b]
No, in Windows XP - would it be better to run it in DOSbox?

_r.u.s.s. 17-08-2007 02:10 PM

try it..=)
and by the way, maybe you clicked the wrong finger print on the begining. i think it was supposed to be the top-left one

The Fifth Horseman 17-08-2007 02:25 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lapislazuli @ Aug 17 2007, 02:02 PM) [snapback]305111[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

[/b]
Let me explain it this way: 9 times out of 10 when someone has a problem running one of these games, it tends to "magically" disappear when they try and use DOSBox to run the game. :whistling:

Lapislazuli 18-08-2007 12:02 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Aug 17 2007, 03:25 PM) [snapback]305145[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lapislazuli @ Aug 17 2007, 02:02 PM) [snapback]305111[/snapback]
Quote:

[/b]
Let me explain it this way: 9 times out of 10 when someone has a problem running one of these games, it tends to "magically" disappear when they try and use DOSBox to run the game. :whistling:
[/b][/quote]

:thanx:
Dosbox solved everything, I even have sound now and I can save ;-)

The Fifth Horseman 18-08-2007 02:04 PM

LOL
See? Just like I said.. :ok:

mdeba 19-08-2007 04:21 PM

Does anyone get the freezing error in act 4 when walking out of the office after talking to yvette?

Apparently an event is meant to occur, but doesn't. It just leaves me with the hand option but nothing else.
I'm using the latest dosbox. Even without sound it doesn't move on.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

xxblackrosesxx18 25-08-2007 05:44 AM

I was wondering if there were any patches for the game on this site. I tried looking around but I wasn't sure about what if any to download. When I am in the armour room, I can click on some things (the knight's helmet, the boot) but I cannot examine them at all. It gives me no option but to walk away. It does not acknowledge me trying to touch the objects or look with the magnifying glass, etc. I was wondering if I need the boot or to examine under the knights helmet in detail to continue the game. And if so, what patch would help me do this.

zafo999 17-09-2007 02:03 AM

I could have sworn that this game was a talky. Am I remembering wrong? Or are my audio settings just screwy? Are there separate versions of the game?

Help!

The Fifth Horseman 17-09-2007 08:48 AM

There is a talky.
You'll be able to access the ISO Cellar - and therefore the game archive - soon.

zafo999 03-10-2007 05:52 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Sep 17 2007, 01:48 AM) [snapback]311330[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

There is a talky.
You'll be able to access the ISO Cellar - and therefore the game archive - soon.
[/b]
I may be stupid, but I don't think it's in the ISO Cellar.

Moonypond 04-10-2007 03:33 AM

It's in the "Requests" thread down the bottom of the cellar.
On the last page there is a quote of the post so you don't have to rummage through all the pages.

The talky version seems to be more buggy than my floppy version. I can't seem to save my games properly without it going "whoops! you did something we didn't know about. Try doing something else." and having to start all over again. :wallbash:

Guest 04-11-2007 08:56 AM

So glad I found this. I have this on floppy but when I'm being chased and go into the mummy room iget that silly error! I thought I was the only one. Not sure whats wrong as I know I have gotten past it before :) I love this game soo much.

Capo 26-12-2007 01:43 AM

I have found a little patch that should resolve two bugs:
- Endless driving
- Moving painting to reveal safe

Here: http://www.geocities.com/belzorash/

A question: There is a way to listen the speech and have the text at the same time ?

Luchsen 26-12-2007 03:55 PM

If you mean the version on the main site, it's non-talkie. It's possible with the one in the ISO Cellar, though. (hello russ :) )

[edit] But it seems I can't find back the way I've done it. I should write down the solutions I discover - bad memory, you know... :( [/edit]

Capo 26-12-2007 07:26 PM

I have the talkie version,but the options are: only speech or only text.
Any tips ?

Capo 28-02-2008 10:26 PM

Very nice game,but it has a big problem: Without the right items you cant finish the game,so i will post here these items for who dont want to use a walktrough.

WARNIG SPOILER

You need these items in the inventory at begining of Act 5,otherwise you CANT complete the game

Wire, Snake lasso, Smelling salts, Lantern, FULL snake oil bottle, Cheese

Ok,now if you want the happy ending you need these items in the inventory before the end of the game:

Dagger of Amon Ra, Watney's police file, Ankh Medallion, Red hair, Pocket watch, Wire cutters, Carbon
paper, Bifocals, Pippin's notepad, a Garter, Grapes, Warthog hairs, and
Yvette's shoe.

Thats all,Enjoy the game :D

arete 08-05-2008 07:55 AM

Okay: hard question. Does anyone know how to help me with this? I get to the museum, I do everything I need to do, I talk to everybody about everything, but then I need to "eavesdrop on conversations". I'm supposed to sidle up to various groups and wait for about 16 conversations to take place, and then the stevedore is supposed to show up. None of this happens! Any ideas, anyone?

Sal 08-05-2008 11:45 PM

Laura Bow

Hi Arete.......Haven't played this game for a while but I do remember the bit you are asking about and I had that problem too so I went back and checked everything I had done before. If you have missed something like an item or speaking to someone etc...(sorry to be so vague) then you will find yourself wandering around the museum forever...I loved this game and had no technical problems at all...sorry I can't be of more help....SAL
Just had another thought..as you talk to people take a note of how many you talk to and look at everything . Try to pick up everything. I don't want to spoil anything for you but need to be sure that you have talked to everyone and picked up what you need to....SAL

Dwalin 25-05-2008 01:49 AM

Could anybody help me with a problem, please? I have installed the game and it functions rather well, but if I try to save it while playing, it starts to slow down and takes an enormous amount of time to find the folder which contains the savegame files and the same time to save it. Since this is a game in which a player has to save very often, all these slowdowns can become extremely annoying. Do you know it there is any patch that can solve the problem? I can't find any on internet.

P.S.
Sorry, if I did some grammatical errors - English is not my mother language.

Capo 25-05-2008 03:06 AM

This is the only patch and i dont think it can resolve your problem :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capo (Post 314677)
- Endless driving

The Fifth Horseman 25-05-2008 08:19 AM

Quote:

Could anybody help me with a problem, please? I have installed the game and it functions rather well, but if I try to save it while playing, it starts to slow down and takes an enormous amount of time to find the folder which contains the savegame files and the same time to save it. Since this is a game in which a player has to save very often, all these slowdowns can become extremely annoying. Do you know it there is any patch that can solve the problem? I can't find any on internet.
Running it in Windows or in DOSBox?

Dwalin 25-05-2008 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman (Post 326749)
Running it in Windows or in DOSBox?

It was in DOSbox, but I tried it in Windows just now and it seems to run faster, and not only during saving. It is strange though, because everywhere where I read about the game, it is said DOSbox shoud run faster. But in the Windows version, when I try to speak with characters or open the notebook, most of the screen becomes black.

The Fifth Horseman 26-05-2008 11:23 AM

What version of DOSBox do you have and what is your PC's hardware configuration?

Dwalin 26-05-2008 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman (Post 326841)
What version of DOSBox do you have and what is your PC's hardware configuration?

DOSBox0.72-win32-installer.exe,dosbox.conf – default, changed scaler to hq2x and:

[autoexec]
MOUNT C E:\OLDGAMES\amon
C:
SIERRA.EXE

PC:
WinXpro sp2
Intel pentium4 3.2, 2gb memory

The Fifth Horseman 26-05-2008 08:10 PM

Might be caused by the usual problems with detecting too much free HDD space. Try changing your mount line to:
MOUNT C E:\OLDGAMES\amon -freesize 100
Another possibility is that the automatic speed control doesn't work correctly for this game. This can be resolved by manually setting the speed to an arbitrary value. In DOSBox.conf, find the cycles setting and change it to 20000, also change the cycleup and cycledown settings to 1000 each.

Dwalin 28-05-2008 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman (Post 326896)
Might be caused by the usual problems with detecting too much free HDD space. Try changing your mount line to:
MOUNT C E:\OLDGAMES\amon -freesize 100
Another possibility is that the automatic speed control doesn't work correctly for this game. This can be resolved by manually setting the speed to an arbitrary value. In DOSBox.conf, find the cycles setting and change it to 20000, also change the cycleup and cycledown settings to 1000 each.

Thanks, it works much better now.

Dwalin 02-06-2008 06:19 AM

I need help again. I just deciphered the two hieroglyphic messages in Olympia Myklos’ office, but I don’t understand if I need to use the translations right now or only during the questioning at the end of the game? When I tried to tell the message to one of the suspects wandering in the museum , I could write in the notebook only the beginning of the first sentence of the first message ( “I pay homage to thee…”) and after that the computer refused to write further – the sentence was too long. When I tried to click on the sentence with the mouse, it just became one letter shorter, and when I just pressed exit, after having written the sentence, the character I was speaking to didn't reply. So is the impossibility to tell this the message to the other characters a bug or is it all right that way? I am asking that only because I read that, if a player doesn't do something important during the game, he won't be able to complete the investigation and will have to replay all the game from the start. And I don't want to look into the walkthrough yet, because I might casually read some spoiler, while seeking for the answer to this particular question.

Capo 02-06-2008 09:49 PM

The messages in the office arent fundamentel,you can finish the game without translating these messages.

Dwalin 03-06-2008 10:39 AM

I just finished the game and have a question about the plot:

SPOILER

What was the point of killing Pippin Carter? All the others were eliminated, because they were accomplices of the murderer in the theft of the dagger and had to be silenced (except Yvette Delacroix, who was killed for jealousy ). But why kill Carter, who was not one of the gang and, as it seems, knew nothing? Or, if he did find out who the thieves were, why didn't he tell anything at the party? Maybe I missed something in the game?

satsubatsu347 05-06-2008 04:34 AM

CDs are good

I got hooked on this game over a decade ago and absolutely became enchanted by the speakeasy scene... But the download available here is the lean version. Anyone know where I can get the meaty CD version?

arete 30-06-2008 01:40 PM

Laura Bow

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sal (Post 325449)
Hi Arete.......Haven't played this game for a while but I do remember the bit you are asking about and I had that problem too so I went back and checked everything I had done before. If you have missed something like an item or speaking to someone etc...(sorry to be so vague) then you will find yourself wandering around the museum forever...I loved this game and had no technical problems at all...sorry I can't be of more help....SAL
Just had another thought..as you talk to people take a note of how many you talk to and look at everything . Try to pick up everything. I don't want to spoil anything for you but need to be sure that you have talked to everyone and picked up what you need to....SAL

I can haz a hint? :unsure: I think I've got everything, and I've spoken to everyone I can think of. I even went into the back room, but was kicked out by the security guard for "szpooking zer mastodons". Hur hur. I checked two walkthroughs, and they didn't mention anything I didn't do.

MandrakeMousse 09-07-2008 02:51 PM

I'm having the same problem with this game on DosBox that I had when I played the original floppy version back in the day. There's a bug that happens during a specific scene involving Yvette Delacroix and Steve Dorian.

SPOILERS just in case...

Shortly after you find the body of Ernie Leach and the dagger of Amon Ra, you encounter Yvette Delacroix crying in her office about how much she loved Ernie. Laura Bow eventually excuses herself to let Yvette grieve in peace, and leaves the office. At this point you're supposed to encounter Steve Dorian outside in the hallway (I must have played this game a LOT as a kid to remember this!). However the bug that happens is Laura leaves the office and is out in the hallway with the Thinker statue, and there's no Steve Dorian there, and the game permanently freezes. I've reloaded time and again but I keep getting stuck in this spot and I can't for the life of me remember what we did originally to get past this glitch because I remember the glitch well, but I also know that I was able to play the game all the way through several times.

Does any one know of this specific glitch and a patch that fixes it? I love this game and I'm bummed that I can't get past that spot.

Capo 09-07-2008 03:31 PM

I've played the game 2 times and i havent seen the bug you're talking about,anyway, for the third times,this is the only patch we have found.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capo (Post 326739)
This is the only patch and i dont think it can resolve your problem :(

Originally Posted by Capo http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/ima...s/viewpost.gif
- Endless driving

MandrakeMousse 26-08-2008 10:18 PM

I just decided to start the game over from the beginning and I followed a walkthrough until I got to the part where the game usually froze, this time I didn't have the problem, very strange. It must only occur when you do things in a particular order or haven't done certain things before the exchange with Yvette Delacroix happens. I wish I knew exactly what caused the glitch.

Still a great game though, it's a shame they never made a Laura Bow III.

Sal 29-08-2008 11:36 PM

Arete...have you done the moonlight walk with Steve? Then come back to
the museum and continue inv estigating...Sal

QFGfan 15-09-2008 07:08 AM

:confused: um...HI! newbie. um...I seem to be stuck in Act V. I used to play this...way back when, but I can't seem to do the sarcophagus thing.
Mr. X chases you from the Mastodon Room to Pterodactyl Room (close door use wire) to Armor Room (close door and bar) to Storage Room (move chair move transom) to Ancient Egypt Room (go left) to continuation of Ancient Egypt Room (enter sarcophagus).
Mr. X is supposed to come in on the right side, pause slightly, turn around, screen cut to him breaking open the Storage Room door, screen cut back to Laura, Laura runs to hole in door (from what I remember).
When I enter the sarcophagus, Mr. X doesn't appear, I walk out and then he shows up, bonks me on the head and well...obviously dead I need to restore. Anybody had this happen or does my timing just suck?
Also, I have everything that Capo mentioned (on Page 10 of this thread) that I'm supposed to have to start Act V. Am I missing something? Did I do something wrong/out of order?
Thank you in advance to everyone who can help me! ^.^

Capo 15-09-2008 04:48 PM

Everything you've done is right.Maybe is only a problem of timing :unsure:

shera1981 16-09-2008 02:50 AM

help, no sound???

Hi guys, just downloaded game, but no sound! It had an error message right at the beginning, and now I don't know how to get the sound!

I am on windows XP, can someone pls advise me on what to do, but really dumb it down for me because I am not super computer savy! :amused:

arete 16-09-2008 06:13 AM

Download DOSbox and create a shortcut to it in the same folder as your game files. Then drag the executable across the shortcut, and presto! Sound! (alt+enter for fullscreen, btw). And that's about the extent of my DOSbox skills. :whistling:

The Fifth Horseman 16-09-2008 06:17 AM

Typical newbie trying to run DOS games in plain Windows XP. Haven't you seen the big ugly news sticky saying "DON'T PANIC. READ THE FAQs."? :p

A beginner's guide to DOSBox

wtf IS dos bOX AND DOES IT WORK ON wIN xp??? (DA MOVIE)

arete 16-09-2008 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sal (Post 334990)
Arete...have you done the moonlight walk with Steve? Then come back to
the museum and continue inv estigating...Sal

Unfortunately, he hasn't arrived yet. :notrust: I've given up on this stupid game. I'm quite bummed about it.

Capo 16-09-2008 04:41 PM

Stupid game ? Stupid gaaamee??? :butcher:

shera1981 18-09-2008 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arete (Post 336877)
Download DOSbox and create a shortcut to it in the same folder as your game files. Then drag the executable across the shortcut, and presto! Sound! (alt+enter for fullscreen, btw). And that's about the extent of my DOSbox skills. :whistling:

Thanks!!! It worked! I was missing out on the 1920's music...it just isn't the same without it :amused:

arete 18-09-2008 06:51 AM

My pleasure.

And Capo?

:bleh:... Unless you has help for me, that is...

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman (Post 336878)
Typical newbie trying to run DOS games in plain Windows XP. Haven't you seen the big ugly news sticky saying "DON'T PANIC. READ THE FAQs."? :p

You too a newbie once was. Also confused and helpless you were...

Capo 18-09-2008 08:15 PM

Master Yoda :super:

The Fifth Horseman 19-09-2008 11:37 AM

Quote:

You too a newbie once was. Also confused and helpless you were...
Once even Yoda a newbie was. But confused and helpless I were not.

arete 19-09-2008 01:05 PM

*renders fifth confused and helpless with something nasty in that tea he was drinking five minutes ago...* :laugh:

Sal 23-09-2008 09:47 PM

:oh: Arete..don't give up., this is a great game and the end is quite exciting.For Steve not to appear you must have missed somethingGoing from group to group can become a tad boring but you have to cover everything. Good luck...Sal

"give up you can not" "try you must"

jniemann42 17-03-2009 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dwalin (Post 327460)
I need help again. I just deciphered the two hieroglyphic messages in Olympia Myklos’ office, but I don’t understand if I need to use the translations right now or only during the questioning at the end of the game? When I tried to tell the message to one of the suspects wandering in the museum , I could write in the notebook only the beginning of the first sentence of the first message ( “I pay homage to thee…”) and after that the computer refused to write further – the sentence was too long. When I tried to click on the sentence with the mouse, it just became one letter shorter, and when I just pressed exit, after having written the sentence, the character I was speaking to didn't reply. So is the impossibility to tell this the message to the other characters a bug or is it all right that way? I am asking that only because I read that, if a player doesn't do something important during the game, he won't be able to complete the investigation and will have to replay all the game from the start. And I don't want to look into the walkthrough yet, because I might casually read some spoiler, while seeking for the answer to this particular question.

This answer is a little late, but you need them when you run into the Egyptian cult at the end and they question you. I don't think you get to keep going if you answer those questions wrong (the answers are "womb" and "tomb" if I remember correctly, but you can figure out the answers from the questions themselves rather than translating). I think the questions were "what is the room you leave without entering" and "what is the room you enter without leaving".

jniemann42 17-03-2009 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dwalin (Post 327627)
I just finished the game and have a question about the plot:

SPOILER

What was the point of killing Pippin Carter? All the others were eliminated, because they were accomplices of the murderer in the theft of the dagger and had to be silenced (except Yvette Delacroix, who was killed for jealousy ). But why kill Carter, who was not one of the gang and, as it seems, knew nothing? Or, if he did find out who the thieves were, why didn't he tell anything at the party? Maybe I missed something in the game?

I think the point of killing Pippin Carter was eliminating an obstacle in stealing the Dagger, he was the expert on it and might have posed a threat especially since the Dagger was hidden in the museum the whole time (even in plain sight in the gift shop).

legend789 15-04-2009 04:44 PM

Hello guys :) I'm new in this particular board.

I have a question though. Is this game patched so you can't get the Egyptology question wrong? I ask because I'm trying to find an unpatched floppy disk version, mostly for collection's sake. Thanks you very much!

arete 15-04-2009 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legend789 (Post 359985)
Hello guys :) I'm new in this particular board.

I have a question though. Is this game patched so you can't get the Egyptology question wrong? I ask because I'm trying to find an unpatched floppy disk version, mostly for collection's sake. Thanks you very much!

If you're asking whether or not it's a cracked version, then yes, I believe it is. You're referring to the copy protection at the beginning?

red_avatar 15-04-2009 05:34 PM

I bought this game a few weeks ago so I can make a copy of the original disks for archival purposes?

Luchsen 15-04-2009 05:43 PM

Woohoo! We are on a floppy image trip! :brain:

red_avatar 15-04-2009 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luchsen (Post 360010)
Woohoo! We are on a floppy image trip! :brain:

I'll first need to find an USB floppy drive though :p My PC wasn't built with one (pesky little things).

Maxor127 05-05-2009 08:31 AM

This game actually disappointed me. I like good mystery games, but this one ended up being too ridiculous and I hated the songs. Plus the voice acting was grating.

Gunter 30-05-2009 09:22 PM

Download Laura Bow 2

Hello dear folks, I'm from Germany and wish to download Laura Bow 2: The Dagger of Amon Ra, because I played it in the early 90's with my youg daughters on my old PC. I've downloaded DOSBOX 0.73. But I cannot find a download, eventually even in German. Can You help me, please?
p.s. I've Windows Vista 64bit and was born 1947
[Edited]

dosraider 30-05-2009 09:39 PM

It is downloadable from this site.
However there is a bug, one of many ...., you must set your site language to 'ENGLISH' on the main site, then you can download the game.
If it's set to 'GERMAN' it gives a 'ESA no go'.

Bugs, we can't do without them, love them critters.
:)

Akira 14-06-2009 08:52 PM

When I'm at the Lyendecker party, the name "Dr. Olympia Myklos" never gets added to my notebook, even though I've eavesdropped on all the conversations and spoken to her on every subject. Do I just have to wait longer or is this a bug?

Horacio 03-12-2009 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QFGfan (Post 336733)
:confused: um...HI! newbie. um...I seem to be stuck in Act V. I used to play this...way back when, but I can't seem to do the sarcophagus thing.
Mr. X chases you from the Mastodon Room to Pterodactyl Room (close door use wire) to Armor Room (close door and bar) to Storage Room (move chair move transom) to Ancient Egypt Room (go left) to continuation of Ancient Egypt Room (enter sarcophagus).
Mr. X is supposed to come in on the right side, pause slightly, turn around, screen cut to him breaking open the Storage Room door, screen cut back to Laura, Laura runs to hole in door (from what I remember).
When I enter the sarcophagus, Mr. X doesn't appear, I walk out and then he shows up, bonks me on the head and well...obviously dead I need to restore. Anybody had this happen or does my timing just suck?
Also, I have everything that Capo mentioned (on Page 10 of this thread) that I'm supposed to have to start Act V. Am I missing something? Did I do something wrong/out of order?
Thank you in advance to everyone who can help me! ^.^

Don't close the Armor Room's door :)

nickey_patch 20-07-2010 11:08 PM

Windows 7

Hi, I'm a Windows 7 user and would like Laura Bow 2. Is it compatible? Thanks

_r.u.s.s. 20-07-2010 11:11 PM

just try it

it is compatible in dosbox minimally, so it is flawlessly runnable in win 7

MichSierra 06-08-2012 06:09 PM

Steven doesnt show up

Hi,

I've got exactly the same problem as Arete described; Steven doesn't show up at the party. I've talked to everyone about pretty much everything, and I also had a lot of "eardrop scenes", but after the last one all main characters disappeared and I'm stuck at the museum. There's nothing I can do, I can't leave as there's no taxi and Heimlich blocks the way in the room with the big skeleton.

Too bad; this game really had potential, but when it has such "dead ends" because you didn't ask someone a single thing at some point before it's just so annoying.

jdtulane 31-03-2013 12:10 AM

Problem

Hey all I am very anxious to play this but having some compatability issues. I downloaded the zip file and extracted it to C:/oldgames/laura

but when I try and run the install.exe I get this error : the version of this file is not compatible with the version of windows yadayadayadayada

I have dosbox downloaded and I have it in the folder rdy to drop my exe but its the install exe not the game running exe and it wont let me install it to then run it! >.< does this make sense?

/dosbox newb

jdtulane 31-03-2013 12:17 AM

Also she's a Tulane grad and I had no idea! /geekinout

The Fifth Horseman 31-03-2013 02:53 PM

The game does not require installation. The file you need to run is scidhuv.exe.
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdtulane (Post 451192)
but when I try and run the install.exe I get this error : the version of this file is not compatible with the version of windows yadayadayadayada

Normal when you're trying to run a DOS executable on newer versions of Windows.

Quote:

I have dosbox downloaded and I have it in the folder rdy to drop my exe but its the install exe not the game running exe and it wont let me install it to then run it! >.< does this make sense?
Have you installed DOSBox in the first place?

jdtulane 31-03-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman (Post 451211)
The game does not require installation. The file you need to run is scidhuv.exe.
Normal when you're trying to run a DOS executable on newer versions of Windows.

Have you installed DOSBox in the first place?

Yes its the laura bow install exe im havin trouble with

The Fifth Horseman 31-03-2013 04:30 PM

As I have already told you, the game does not require installing.

AndrewJFisher 18-02-2017 11:01 PM

Back on sale at GOG

Just saw that the Laura Bow games at being marketed again, at GOG.

http://www.gog.com/game/the_dagger_of_amon_ra

The current time is 12:28 PM (GMT)