Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Gaming Zone (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Homm 3 And 4 (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=6259)

MrBackAlleySka 15-07-2005 11:02 PM

Hey guys! I just bought both Heroes of Might and Magic 3 and 4. I hear that everyone raves 3 is the absolute best, and 4 is the absolute worst? What exactly do the two have in diffrence that makes them so opposite? Ive on'y played HoMM 1 and 2, and I wanted to complete my collection. Just curious as to what makes 3 the best, and what makes 4 the worst??

a1s 15-07-2005 11:08 PM

it's not right to say that HoMMIV was worst. it's a pretty adequate game on it's own, BUT it's doesn't continue the tradition of other hero's games, if you'll excuse me saying so- it's more like MoM than HOMM :D
and HOMMIII was just the latest one before this- so, sinc it didn't have any *risky* features, and had most the gamers complaints (at the time ) addressed it was naturaly proclaimed best (like II in it's time).

Shifter 16-07-2005 03:12 AM

I liked them both. 5 Looks promising :P

Eagle of Fire 16-07-2005 03:29 AM

IV is really crap. I would never even consider wasting money on that game again, considering I knew what I know now.

III is good... But begin to show signs of age.

MrBackAlleySka 16-07-2005 03:58 AM

Heh, well i'm here aren't I? Signs of age aren't a bad thing to me. Thanks for the feedback guys, I look forward to hearing everyone's continued opionions. However, I require sleep. G'night!

Borodin 16-07-2005 04:03 AM

HOMM 4, like M&M 9, wasn't done by New World Computing. The owner of 3DO, who had purchased NWC, pulled away the titles and gave them to other people for releases. In the case of M&M 9 it was an abject failure, because the development team had never actually released an RPG, before. HOMM 4 was done by more experienced people, but its reception was mixed. Not for the first time, I wish a company hadn't sold itself to a much larger outfit to get money it needed for development--only to lose its own products in the end.

Shifter 16-07-2005 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Borodin@Jul 16 2005, 04:03 AM
HOMM 4, like M&M 9, wasn't done by New World Computing. The owner of 3DO, who had purchased NWC, pulled away the titles and gave them to other people for releases. In the case of M&M 9 it was an abject failure, because the development team had never actually released an RPG, before. HOMM 4 was done by more experienced people, but its reception was mixed. Not for the first time, I wish a company hadn't sold itself to a much larger outfit to get money it needed for development--only to lose its own products in the end.
Yeah, sucks. MM was one of my favorite series. Ahh the memories of MM6. Nine was so pathetic I played it for 5 mins and turned it off.

Borodin 16-07-2005 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Shifter@Jul 16 2005, 04:22 AM
Yeah, sucks. MM was one of my favorite series. Ahh the memories of MM6. Nine was so pathetic I played it for 5 mins and turned it off.
I did a review for a now-deceased magazine, and banned the thing. It was a terrible come-down from one of the really venerable and most beloved RPG series around.

MdaG 16-07-2005 06:01 AM

I like HOMM4, it's great. Only thing I miss from HOMM 3 are some of the cities.

BeefontheBone 16-07-2005 06:37 AM

I quite like HoMM 4, but the campaigns are only slightly improved on their naffness in HoMM 3 (slightly better characterisation though) - there is more roleplaying than strategy a lot of the time though.

The current time is 06:38 AM (GMT)