Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Ignition crashes a lot. (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=25245)

Maxaxle 05-07-2010 09:12 PM

Ignition crashes a lot.

Running a Compaq nc6000 under Windows XP, no modifications, no large problems, is very reliable and of decent speed. CPU-Z identification page will be supplied if needed.

UNDER WINDOWS:
IGN_WIN:
Is at normal speed, somewhat glitchy, and crashes when loading a race (progress bar at 80-85%).
IGN_3DFX
Requires Glide graphics/drivers/etc.
MAINDOS:
Is at an increased speed, mostly glitchy, crashes either when quitting the first race, or shortly after completing the first race.

UNDER DOSBOX:
IGN_WIN
Would not launch under DOSBox.
IGN_3DFX
Would not launch under DOSBox
MAINDOS:
Simply will not load.
Sometimes, it has a LOADING screen and does nothing. It is accompanied by a strange sound, increasing and decreasing the cycles rate changes it accordingly.
Sometimes, it has the LOADING screen, does nothing, and is relatively silent.
Most of the time, the screen stays black (lit) and there is a (...burgandy? Dark brownish color?) letter denoting what drive I have mounted it in (if I have typed
Code:

mount c c:\abandonware\ignition
, then there is the text
Code:

C:\
) near the top-left hand corner of the screen.

Why post this if there are many other threads about this?
Because:
1. I don't want to dig through millions of posts under the original game thread for a glitchy solution that may or may not work (disclaimer: it won't).
2. The only thread I found pertaining to *this* problem was locked, with not enough information to make sense of what happened.

_r.u.s.s. 05-07-2010 09:40 PM

dunno, it works allright in all 3 cases on my xp machine

you can try running it via 3dfix with dosbox, i think someone described how in the ignition game thread. not gonna dig that info out instead of you though :ouch:

dosraider 05-07-2010 10:15 PM

Advanced search ...... :whistling:
Quote:

Originally Posted by dosraider (Post 375100)
zirkoni = n00b. (joky)
:bleh2:

Test 1...2...3... and:

AB's game works fine in dosbox 0.73, default install.
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/9697/ignition.th.png
Simply mount your CD drive as D:\ in dosbox with whatever CD in it and run the game with
maindos
from the game directory.
No probs here......

It apparently won't run if you don't mount a CD .....

[Edit]
Forgot to mention:
The dosversion (didn't test the Win version) is indeed ready to run in dosbox, no install needed. Sound and all are fine.

Maxaxle 06-07-2010 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dosraider (Post 408950)
Advanced search ...... :whistling:

Oh yeah, saw that one earlier. Missed the "any CD" part and assumed it required the original game CD.

Thanks! I'll edit this post if stuff goes wrong.

EDIT: Nothing really changed, and BTW I used an old Epson driver CD.

dosraider 06-07-2010 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxaxle (Post 408959)
EDIT: Nothing really changed, and BTW I used an old Epson driver CD.

What an informative post ........

If by 'nothing changed' you mean it doesn't work:
Delete your games dir and start over from scratch, it's possible that by trying to run the game in windows something is altered in the game conf file.

If you still can't get ignition running your mount lines and dosbox version could be helpful to know where you screw up.

Eagle of Fire 06-07-2010 03:16 AM

Did you run the setup? Try to change some settings, especially sound?

Maxaxle 06-07-2010 05:20 PM

I'm using version 0.74, the setup only attempts to install vanilla/uncracked Ignition (it fails because I have a higher version of DirectX), I'll try messing with settings, and reinstalling it.

EDIT 1: Changed all graphics settings to minimum under MAINDOS, and now IGN_WIN crashes when I go into Settings>Graphics. DOSBox now crashes with the LOADING screen, and I had to power the laptop down manually. Attempting to run MAINDOS and IGN_WIN under Windows...

EDIT 2: Running MAINDOS and IGN_WIN under 320X240 just causes them to crash 90% of the time, so I switched it back to 640X480. Changing other graphics settings doesn't help at all, and DOSBox still refuses to load Ignition. Reinstalling...

dosraider 06-07-2010 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxaxle (Post 409002)
... plenty blah blah blah and NOTHING relevant.....

[Echo mode]
Quote:

Originally Posted by dosraider (Post 408965)
Delete your games dir and start over from scratch, it's possible that by trying to run the game in windows something is altered in the game conf file.

and [Echo mode ²]
Quote:

Originally Posted by dosraider (Post 408965)
If you still can't get ignition running your mount lines and dosbox version could be helpful to know where you screw up.

[/Echo mode +Echo mode²]

Also:
Quote:

Originally Posted by dosraider (Post 375100)
AB's game works fine in dosbox 0.73, default install.
....Blah blah blah that you even don't read ......
The dosversion (didn't test the Win version) is indeed ready to run in dosbox, no install needed. Sound and all are fine.

As you even can't answer two simple questions, have fun, I'm outta here, bye bye.

Maxaxle 06-07-2010 06:16 PM

I am going to RAGE, I turned off Compatibility Mode and that fixed the crashing problem. :hairpull: :braindead:
:closed:

EDIT: Alright, so that didn't fix everything; it still can't handle Championships all that well (works 40% of the time at best). And @Dosraider: call me an ubernoob, but I couldn't figure out what you meant/wanted. There was very little under the Audio menu, I don't know what you meant by my mount lines (I said something about this earlier), and deleting my game directory solved nothing.

Steve H 18-07-2013 12:22 AM

Help with this game on Win 8

I have dosbox .70 and .74 installed on my windows 8 Dell XPS.

Whenever I try to run this game with 'maindos' in dosbox it hangs on the 'loading' screen as in the case above, with strange noises. I have tried both versions of dosbox (tried .70 because that is what is listed as supported), have tried the 3dfx version (does nothing).

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I only run the following commands:

mount c e:\dosbox (this is where my IGNITION folder is)
mount d d:\ (my dvd drive)

Please help, thanks!

The current time is 07:52 PM (GMT)