Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Gaming Zone (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Galactic Civilizations Ii: Dread Lords (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=4290)

Rogue 07-04-2005 12:11 PM

Sequal to Galactic Civiliations, game that I never heard off. (and I'm civilization fun :blink: )

You can find more about it at GameSpot.

The Niles 07-04-2005 12:59 PM

I have played Galactic Civilization and disliked it. It is nothing more then Master of Orion 2 did years earlier but with a more clumsy interface. It does not even support multiplayer (something MoO2 does).

Marek 07-04-2005 01:23 PM

Galciv 1 was fairly enjoyable for me but in comparison to MOO2, there were a lot of extra features that MOO2 had that Galciv did not.

When MOO3 came out I was expecting a game similar to MOO2, but with a more modern look and feel and more stuff you could do. Of course I, and most other people, were bitterly dissapointed.

GalCiv II, however, promises to be the game I was hoping for.

Its gonna be very similar to MOO2,
You can now choose what race you want to play,
design your own ships,
zoom into your colonies etc.
but with the more modern GalCiv interface and they are gonna put in some 3d stuff and whatnot.

Its been a while since I checked the GalCiv2 website so I am not up to date with all the enhancements.

I am looking forward to it... :ok:

Flop 07-04-2005 01:33 PM

I have to admit that I never played GC1, but it looks fairly interesting, and I'd be much surprised if the sequel turns out to suck worse than MoO3 did. It actually looks as if it has the potential to be quite good. There's only one thing I'm a bit worried about:

Quote:

The campaign will have a branching mission structure, so the story will adjust depending on whether you win or lose a mission.
What is this? A missionbased campaign in a 4x game? It sounds strange, and not very good, IMO. It's pretty vague excactly how this'll be implemented, but if it's like Heroes of Might and Magic, for example, where you go to a new map whenever you win a mission, I'm pretty sure I won't like it.

Marek 07-04-2005 02:19 PM

No the game originally worked just like MOO2,

Specify setting Generate map and play...

However, int he Altarian prophecy expansion, they introduced an option to create your own maps before hand, and to publicise it they created a few that linked on from each other and followed a story...

Its actually pretty cool...

Now the story will differ depending on your success. You can still play a normal randomly generated map... :ok:

Stroggy 07-04-2005 04:07 PM

I liked Galactic Civilizations, I found the AI to be much better than the one featured in MoO2 (a very clever AI actually)

Marek 08-04-2005 07:22 AM

Absolutely correct, I guess I should have mentioned that... :wall:

Flop 14-04-2005 11:48 AM

I just got my hands on the first one, after reading this thread. I must say that I'm positively surprised, at least so far. Thanks for the tip guys. It goes without saying that I'm now looking forward to the next one.

Marek 14-04-2005 12:17 PM

Hhhmmm,

Maybe I should pull it out again and give it another spin...

My poor pc at home though, I haven't even switched it on since I bought my PS2 with GT4

Borodin 14-04-2005 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Stroggy@Apr 7 2005, 04:07 PM
I liked Galactic Civilizations, I found the AI to be much better than the one featured in MoO2 (a very clever AI actually)
AI is the best thing in Stardock's games. I only wish they'd add more treaty options, opponent dialog, larger graphics, etc. The different races in GC simply felt like bad windowdressing, especially since Stardock didn't take them seriously at all. ;)

The current time is 07:42 PM (GMT)