Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Games Discussion (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Stronghold (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=7334)

TheChosen 27-09-2005 01:05 PM

A game with that magical word: AD&D

That the reason why i downloaded it. :D

Mongi 28-09-2005 05:08 PM

Pardon my stupidity, but I still can't understand how you muster up your armies and actually send them somewhere (or "attract" for that matter)

Can anyone be so kind as to help me?

Xedus 28-09-2005 10:32 PM

You must have some units set to ready status then click on a place u want to attract them to, and there is a long bar underneath the triangle. Click on it and u can set the number of units to get there as long as there are some free. The further right, the more attracted. Make sure u have the right leader selected for the right troops.

Took me a while to figure that out myself LOL. :Titan:

Yokosuna 01-10-2005 01:39 PM

:ok: This game is FUN, top 5 for me. I can play it for ages now I downloaded it again.

I always set a piece of terrain for each 'race' to train these fellas. A training center, a Forge and an Armory/Fletcher/etc meaning the offensive / defensive improvement buildings. I gather a bunch of people and ser them to train, and when I got smthg respectable such as level 5/6 it's time to go kick arses. Also you may consider gathering 4 fulle expanded huosing to pute them to recruit and increase up to a unit of 7, that helps as well.
If you're going to build defensive walls, upgrade them to the maximum (manned) as they provide housing as well and get defensive bonus, and set a long range fighter to defend them, else your soldier there can't beat the enemy until they destroy the wall! :Titan:

Mongi 03-10-2005 12:03 PM

One more stupid question... Is there ANY way to speed up time passage? That is, EXCEPT pressing space that doesn't help too much...

Thanx

Tito 20-10-2005 12:18 AM

I used to enjoy this game but there is something that I don't understand. Is there a final purpose, like beating some evil enemy or you just have to achieve your objetives (that is, becomnig emperor or defeating al enemies) in different maps?

Borodin 20-10-2005 01:35 AM

No, they never built it into a campaign. Think of it as an interesting simulator. I found that works best.

Rorschach 03-11-2005 12:21 PM

@ Mongi: HOLD space, don't just press it once. Other than that, d/l the pdf with the manual, as at least both the questions you posted are covered there (in other words, RTFM! :P).

Now, my own question: in a couple of places in the game and in the manual a "building card" is mentioned, which I supose is a quick-reference table of the building types and atributes. Would anyone happen to have it scanned? Being able to alt+tab a jpg of it would be a great help. :)

Guest 04-11-2005 11:02 PM

I can't believe this only got a 3!

At least a 4, I'd go straight 5.

Rorschach 06-11-2005 09:26 AM

Having played it for a couple of days now, here's my 2 cents:

-My "first cent" is to wholeheartedly agree with the reviewer, the atraction system of unit placement seems to be a study in user unfriendliness and cumbersome playability. It managed to bring down my rating to the game from a 4 to a 3. Even after you get the hang of it, it's still a pain, as you need to check which units are set to "home" and which are set to "ready" before setting the atraction, lest some of your building blocks go vacant and degrade. It's a shame, as the game on most other aspects I think the developers were very successful in creating an inovative and well developed game (for it's time or ever since).

--My "second cent" is to wholeheartedly DISagree with the reviewer, I don't see how you can derive months of gameplay from this title. After getting the hang of it, I finished the game a couple of times in a couple of days, and it seems to get run-of-the-mill rather quickly: settle, develop, attack, rinse, repeat. I think it lacks in therms of goals, be it a campaign goal, or even reaching advanced buildings or units on later stages of a scenario. Like I said, I think it's a solid game, but getting repetitive rather quickly (I got the same run-of-the-mill impression from Baldies, and to a lesse extent from Settlers 2 Gold), I don't see it offering months' worth of playing time.

[I do adimit that I played only in the second difficulty setting, so the 3rd might offer something extra, but given the AI we can expect from the game's year, I assume it would probably be just a matter of a few more monster bases, and the ocasional roaming monter arriving at your town -- i.e. just more of the same]

The current time is 08:19 AM (GMT)