Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Blah, blah, blah... (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Literature And You (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=12051)

The Fifth Horseman 27-09-2006 09:39 AM

Well, so I've been thinking to post this poll on here for a few months now.

Some of us hate reading, while others are total bookworms who consume books by the dozens.

Which one are you?

Personally, I'm in the 25+ cathegory. And that's when I "barely had time to read anything this year". ^_^

OK, maybe that's not exactly true. I actually had some proper time for reading in March, when I had to go to a hospital for a week. As a part of preparations I went shopping for books - three bookstores visited, 12 tomes in total. I ran out of things to read just a day before they let me out of hospital.

Iron_Scarecrow 27-09-2006 10:21 AM

I wish you asked me last year where I had read at least 20.

This year I've been concentrating on music and games.

A. J. Raffles 27-09-2006 10:39 AM

It's more or less my job to read books, so definitely 25+ for me.:) Usually I read about 100-120 books per year. I agree that hospitals are great for reading, unless you're unlucky enough to share a room with an old lady who for some obscure reason believes you'd like to be told how to make Tiffany lampshades.:rolleyes:

The Fifth Horseman 27-09-2006 11:20 AM

100-120 per year? Are you a critic or something like that?

Reup 27-09-2006 11:45 AM

120 books a year is quite a lot Raffles... (:kosta:) I think I might manage half of that in a year at most... If I added the technical books as well though... but that's another poll...

Shrek 27-09-2006 12:03 PM

Well, I believe I read only about 11-15 books this year... not that I don't like reading - I do love doing it - but I don't have enough time to do it :wallbash:

EDIT: Miss Raffles - 100 - 120 books a year? :omg2: :wacko: WOW :kosta:

A. J. Raffles 27-09-2006 12:11 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Sep 27 2006, 10:20 AM) [snapback]257680[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

100-120 per year? Are you a critic or something like that?
[/b]
Heh, not quite.:)
I'm doing a degree in English Language and Literature, you see, so I have to read an awful lot of primary texts for my tutorials. 25 books is about how much I managed to read over the long vacation (about ten weeks), and I'd have read even more if I hadn't had a lazy phase somewhere in between. There's a reason why the faculty cites "enthusiasm for literature" as one of the main criteria for applicants...

gregor 27-09-2006 12:19 PM

Duh! I only read books for study this year, but i don't count them in here. Expert books are not really fun. Rarelly i find them interesting. Articles are better sometimes.

so,... 0.

A. J. Raffles 27-09-2006 12:27 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gregor @ Sep 27 2006, 11:19 AM) [snapback]257706[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Duh! I only read books for study this year, but i don't count them in here. Expert books are not really fun. Rarelly i find them interesting. Articles are better sometimes.

so,... 0.
[/b]
Well, I usually enjoy reading most of the stuff on my reading lists (even if it's a bit of a struggle to get through sometimes), so I think it still counts.:unsure: If I didn't count the reading I need to do for my course, I'd proabably end up at around 60 books a year.

DonCorleone 27-09-2006 12:54 PM

Well, this year I only read 6 to 10 books. And I don't count those in that I read in order to write professional articles. And I nearly read a fully newspaper everyday. So there isn't much margin left...

The current time is 03:25 PM (GMT)