Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Gaming Zone (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Baldur's Gate (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=644)

The Niles 22-08-2004 08:34 PM

Baldur's Gate

Do you own Baldur's Gate? The very first one so not number two.

FreeFreddy 22-08-2004 08:54 PM

I supposed to own it, together with the addon, in the Black Isle-compilation, but instead got Baldur's Gate II + Addon, and for Baldur's Gate I only have the addon without the game. Not that I repent to have Baldur's Gate II instead :wink:

Havell 22-08-2004 09:08 PM

I do, a friend sold his PC and bought a PS2 (fool!) and he gave me all the games he couldn't sell. Baldurs's gate on six ( :shock: ) CDs was among them.

Durak 22-08-2004 09:08 PM

I have a PS2 and computer, although I like the computer much better for most things...

The Niles 22-08-2004 09:37 PM

I have the six CD version as well. The Sixth CD is for the "tales of the Sword Cost" add on. Bloody brilliant game this is.

revgb 23-08-2004 07:03 AM

yeah i own it
do u own planscape torment?

FreeFreddy 23-08-2004 07:44 AM

I have Planescape - Torment! :D Very good game, too, although still not that good as Baldur's Gate II.

Omuletzu 23-08-2004 07:51 AM

Interesting question :P .
I don't have BG1, nor BG2, but i eagerly want to play them both!
As for PlanetScape Torment, it looks fine i'm going to play it sometime soon!

FreeFreddy 23-08-2004 08:11 AM

Doesn't this thread belong to Favorite Oldies, btw.? So I'll move it... :)

The Niles 23-08-2004 08:36 AM

Yeah I was not sure where to put this so I placed it in requests.

Planescape Torment is Torment indeed. Far too dull. Icewinddale is better but it lacks the storytelling element of Baldur's Gate. Baldur's Gate is precisely what a game like this needs to be. Plenty of action but also mistery and adventure.

Jebus 23-08-2004 08:45 AM

yes, i own it. The only good thing about it was creating the character, then the fun stops.

(in other words, i hate it)

Decalies 23-08-2004 08:55 AM

Yes I own the 6 CD BG1. I really enjoyed it. But for me Planescape: Torment was much better. Quite linear - especially at a bit later stage, but man I loved that storyline! For me, PS-T is the best, than BG2, directly followed by BG1.
I didn't like Icewind Dale 2 too much. Too much just combat, and nothing else. IWD1 I never tried.

Jwh D'Ar 24-08-2004 07:17 AM

That is the best game ever!

I have:
BG + ToSC
BG2 + ToB
Planescape: Torment
IWD 1&2

Picard, I'm sorry you think that way about Torment. It's definitely the most original of these games and the total opposite of dull.
The only one where your attributes like INT or WIS really affect the game.

Decalies 24-08-2004 07:21 AM

What I said before, I also loved Planescape. But I think it helps if you have played AD&D (pen&paper) in the planescape setting.

FreeFreddy 24-08-2004 07:40 AM

Quote:

But, unlike in Baldur's Gate II (perhaps 1 too), your alignment there doesn't affect anything when it changes to evil one - same dialogues, same options, so this one point is not that good.

The Niles 24-08-2004 08:43 AM

Torment for me was too slow. It took ages for your character to even cross the room. Then there was the endless conversations with everyone about nothing in perticulair. Occasionally something would end up in your journal and that would be important.

There is talk of Baldur's Gate 3 being in the works. Since the story has been finished in ToB I wonder what it will bring? Black Isle is not developing this one though.

FreeFreddy 24-08-2004 08:48 AM

Yes, it seems to worked upon, but if it comes out, I doubt it will be the same Baldur's Gate game - other story perhaps, not the same feeling...

Decalies 24-08-2004 09:13 AM

Quote:

But, unlike in Baldur's Gate II (perhaps 1 too), your alignment there doesn't affect anything when it changes to evil one - same dialogues, same options, so this one point is not that good.
That's because your actions determine the alginment... so it's the otherway around. You do get alignment-specific options in the dialogues, like:
1 [promise] 'I'll kill you if you don't answer'
2 [lie] 'I'll kill you if you don't answer'
3 'Please answer' ;)
4 'If you don't answer, I'll be pissed'

Which ones are the evil ones...

FreeFreddy 24-08-2004 09:28 AM

But it only affects the dialogues (like in NWN too, btw.) and nothing more. In Baldur's Gate II there are more possibilities / restrictions with being evil. For example, being evil allows you to get the quest from one side of the demons for killing the other demon's side in the Watcher's Keep in the addon Throne of Bhaal. If you are good or neutral, there's no such possibility, they just attack you then.

Chef Boyardee 24-08-2004 09:32 AM

I have every Baldur's Gate game, although I much prefer Planescape - Torment over them. I love the dialog aspects of the game, and I really don't like the combat system too much. Torment was such a deep game, I REALLY loved it, it's one of the best games I've ever played. Baldur's Gate was okay, but it really just wasn't my type of game. I don't know what it was, it was decent, it just wasn't great like Torment was. There was too much emphasis on combat, I think.

Omuletzu 24-08-2004 09:59 AM

Quote:

But it only affects the dialogues (like in NWN too, btw.) and nothing more. In Baldur's Gate II there are more possibilities / restrictions with being evil. For example, being evil allows you to get the quest from one side of the demons for killing the other demon's side in the Watcher's Keep in the addon Throne of Bhaal. If you are good or neutral, there's no such possibility, they just attack you then.
I remember quests in NWN where the enemy would act according to your class.For example:
You are given a quest to kill some outlaws.If you are evil, when you meet them, they will say something like "don't kill us, and we'll share the loot!"I f you are Paladin they would attack on sight

revgb 24-08-2004 10:16 AM

Quote:

Planescape Torment is Torment indeed. Far too dull. Icewinddale is better but it lacks the storytelling element of Baldur's Gate. Baldur's Gate is precisely what a game like this needs to be. Plenty of action but also mistery and adventure.

Im quite surprised you dont like torment it was such a great game, i wont go on about execpt to say that i cant see how u consider the diolouge dull when u consider that at one statge you RIP YOUR EYE BALL OUT OF YOUR SOCKET AND REPLACE IT WITH A PREVIOUS EYEBALL FROM A SEPERATE INCARNATE. classic fun man

Quote:

Quote:

well becuase alignmnet was such a swinging pendulum it was one of the games best part imo. ur being a nice guy the whole game till suddenly you just absoultly lose it and sell your other party members into slavery to get a good spell, i mean you actions wernt limited by what the computer told you your alignment was, ur actions were limited (or enhanced) by the morals that you actully lived by. i dont know if im making sense here so ill stop, different strokes for different folks i guess.

Quote:

There is talk of Baldur's Gate 3 being in the works. Since the story has been finished in ToB I wonder what it will bring? Black Isle is not developing this one though.
yeah i actully read an interview with the guys that are planning it basicly its not going to be about the bhall spawn what so ever, there just making a new game about totaly unrelated stuff and using the previous games good name to increase sales. which i dont have a problem with as long as they make a good game

FreeFreddy 24-08-2004 10:18 AM

Quote:

I remember quests in NWN where the enemy would act according to your class.For example:
You are given a quest to kill some outlaws.If you are evil, when you meet them, they will say something like \"don't kill us, and we'll share the loot!\"I f you are Paladin they would attack on sight

Only some rare exceptions (at least in the original NWN - didn't play the addons yet). There are many more such possibilities in Baldur's Gate II than in any other, I guess.
But let's return back to the topic. :wink:

Omuletzu 24-08-2004 10:28 AM

Okay have you played NWN??
Almost all the side quests in the game are influenced by alignment or class.
Regarding to the curent topic, i can't wait to try BG, especially the first part

Decalies 24-08-2004 10:32 AM

You really should. If you love NWN, then I'm sure you'd also thing BG1+2 are great! I would suggest to start really with BG1, and then BG2, since it really is a contineous story-line.

The Niles 24-08-2004 10:51 AM

Quote:

Im quite surprised you dont like torment it was such a great game, i wont go on about execpt to say that i cant see how u consider the diolouge dull when u consider that at one statge you RIP YOUR EYE BALL OUT OF YOUR SOCKET AND REPLACE IT WITH A PREVIOUS EYEBALL FROM A SEPERATE INCARNATE. *classic fun man

yeah i actully read an interview with the guys that are planning it basicly its not going to be about the bhall spawn what so ever, there just making a new game about totaly unrelated stuff and using the previous games good name to increase sales. *which i dont have a problem with as long as they make a good game

I did not say there was nothing to laugh about. I did find many things to laugh at but it was not enough for me to save the game.

I don't mind another storyline either. The last one was ended with ToB anyway. I just hope the game as a whole lives up to the Baldur's Gate Moniquer.

revgb 26-08-2004 09:05 AM

i hope the put servok in number 3 - he is the bomb

xndr2181 26-08-2004 02:47 PM

I own all the infinity engine games too, great stuff. My take,
Baldurs Gate 1 &2-Great games all around, great story, great game mechanics, and you were never limited to following the storyline.
Icewind Dale 1 & 2- Good games, but only for a little while. The hack and slash gets repetitive, and lack of story hurts, but I really enjoyed being able to make your whole party.
Planescape Torment- Great game, amazing storyline, just in general a lot of fun, it lacked a wide selection of party members, also the ending was waaaaay too easy.
Neverwinter Nights-Blah, that's all I have to say. My interpretation, two big execs sitting in an office, "Hey, I got an idea, we'll make a game that's based on the D&D setting, and instead of using the amazinf Infinity Engine like in the last games we made, we'll make an entirely new system similar to Diablo II!!"
-Sean

FreeFreddy 26-08-2004 03:34 PM

Quote:

I own all the infinity engine games too, great stuff. My take,
Baldurs Gate 1 &2-Great games all around, great story, great game mechanics, and you were never limited to following the storyline.
Icewind Dale 1 & 2- Good games, but only for a little while. The hack and slash gets repetitive, and lack of story hurts, but I really enjoyed being able to make your whole party.
Planescape Torment- Great game, amazing storyline, just in general a lot of fun, it lacked a wide selection of party members, also the ending was waaaaay too easy.
Neverwinter Nights-Blah, that's all I have to say. My interpretation, two big execs sitting in an office, "Hey, I got an idea, we'll make a game that's based on the D&D setting, and instead of using the amazinf Infinity Engine like in the last games we made, we'll make an entirely new system similar to Diablo II!!"
-Sean
With the new 3D-graphics! This would bring us money!
:wink:

revgb 27-08-2004 01:38 AM

yeah nwn sucked :(
anyone ever play bg 2 multipalyer? was it good omg post ur experiences!! ;p

FreeFreddy 27-08-2004 06:30 AM

I wish I could play Baldur's Gate 2 in Multiplayer, but there was no one to play with at that time... :rolleyes:

revgb 27-08-2004 03:43 PM

yeah i once played BG 1 mulitplayer with some guy on gamespy, he didnt know about the cheats and i lv'ed my char in front of him to prove there was cheats and hes like oh my god can you do that to my charecters

lol, its been a while sense ive played ToB and im going to replay it sometime, i might see about making it a multiplayer game

FreeFreddy 27-08-2004 03:48 PM

I actually still play it once in a while, it's making much fun even after playing it for 7-9 times... ;)

revgb 27-08-2004 04:09 PM

u still play BG 1?
did u ever look at the modifacation that made both bg 1 and 2 liek one game?
its a 700mg download it seems interesting, from what i gather u might be able to use the charecters form bg 2 like the monk, that arnt in number 1
number 1 would be alot better with the feats and stuff, ill have to check that out

FreeFreddy 27-08-2004 05:17 PM

Nope, I meant I still play Baldur's Gate II + Addon, I don't have Baldur's Gate 1 (yet), but I will buy it someday too. ;)

The Niles 29-08-2004 09:10 PM

I recently started a new Baldur's Gate game. That's why I placed this topic up. BG2 is better but this is still nice.

revgb 30-08-2004 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by The Picard@Aug 29 2004, 09:10 PM
I recently started a new Baldur's Gate game. That's why I placed this topic up. BG2 is better but this is still nice.
the day i found the ring of wizardy under the tree @ bergost was totally amazing, one of the best rings in the game totaly free and right at the start
(obvisly i found it with a walkthru i didnt just stumble upon it)

The Niles 30-08-2004 11:03 AM

I'm not sure I ever saw that one. Which tree would that be and how fo you get the ring?

revgb 31-08-2004 08:41 AM

lol find a walk though or somthing (ill take a look around too tho) the only way u can find it is if u know EXACTLY where to find it, its located in a container that is invisble and u have to put ur mouse over the perfectly right pixel to see it, bascily the walkthrough says mouse cooradinates X and Y and then u use the console to see where ur mouse is and then move it accordinly.

the ring istelf only works for wizards, its like for ever X number of levels you have u get X number of extra first level spells. I think thats it anyways, ist lev spells arnt anything to brag about but you end up being able to cast about 16 magic missiles so it can be pretty powerful

FreeFreddy 31-08-2004 08:50 AM

Hmm, such a ring doesn't appear in Baldur's Gate 2... And I thought all items from first game were implemented there... :blink:
Actually not all for find or buy, but you can insert the missing with the console - and that Ring of Wizardry isn't there... B)

revgb 31-08-2004 09:02 AM

Its in the second one RING08 add it try it out its pretty kool

"Ring of Wizardry: 'Reaching Ring'
This ring is masterfully enchanted, allowing the wearer to memorize more spells than normally possible. It was originally commissioned by spellcaster <CHARNAME>, apparently at great monetary and personal cost.

STATISTICS:

Spells: Gives one extra fifth level spell, one extra sixth level spell and one extra seventh level spell"

altho thats a different description and statistics to the first game its prolly more powerful in number 2

also you know how when loading a charecter from number one u lose ur items well if u pause the game right as it starts up and at the right moemnt u can go into ur inventory and drop all ur stuff, so this way u get to keep all the good stuff u had from the first one

FreeFreddy 31-08-2004 09:11 AM

Yep, I know that trick, but I usually play the game rather in Multiplay-mode, so I can import characters every time again.
Yep, that ring I know of, I used it often enough, too. Just didn't thought it's the same one, as it has other specs like it has in the first part...

revgb 31-08-2004 09:20 AM

Yeah its a bit weird how they changed it i guess they never relly intended ppl to have the ring in the first place without cheating as u would ever noramlly find it

FreeFreddy 31-08-2004 09:22 AM

Well, in Baldur's Gate 2 you get it, after you do that Planar Sphere quest from Valygar. When you finally bring the necromancer out, he'll die and leave the ring among other things behind, so this ring is legitim in the second part. :D

revgb 31-08-2004 09:28 AM

relly? i dont remember that, its an odd description then cause it says u had it made how'd the lich get it

FreeFreddy 31-08-2004 09:33 AM

Yep, I always wondered too about the weird description, as I didn't play the first part yet. But this is where you get it. ;)

The Niles 31-08-2004 09:40 AM

I remember having it in the second part and also in the first game. In plain Baldur's Gate you get a ring of Wizardry in Baldur's gate itself. A great ring and the only way you will make some use of your wizards since they are so powerless in the early game.

I tried finding a walkthrough already but could not find anything about that ring in the ones I found.

FreeFreddy 31-08-2004 09:45 AM

Quote:

First, head east until you come across a tall evergreen.* At its
base is a Ring of Wizardry.* Give this to a non-Conjurer so you can
have plenty of Identify and Magic Missile spells ready.

It's from Dirty Little Helper, a cheats-without-end dedicated program and also you can visit their website at: http://dlh.net/

The Niles 31-08-2004 09:46 AM

Thanks I'll try that right away.

Do you know where that guy stood when he said directly east?

FreeFreddy 31-08-2004 09:53 AM

Here it's more detailled:
Quote:

Next stop, the Crossroads,
just north of Beregost.

Area:* Crossroads

* * If you are approaching from the south, head northeast until you
come across an Ogre.* Kill him and he has 2 belts.* The narrow one is a
Girdle of Piercing.* The fat one is cursed.* Go west from the ogre
until you get to the road, then go northwest.* You'll come across a
rock with a niche in it.* There is a Ring +1 hidden there.* Next, head
north and leave the area.* On to the Friendly Arm Inn.

Area:* Friendly Arm Inn
NPCs:* Khalid (Good Fighter), Jaheira (Neutral Fighter/Druid)

* * First, head east until you come across a tall evergreen.* At its
base is a Ring of Wizardry.* Give this to a non-Conjurer so you can
have plenty of Identify and Magic Missile spells ready.* Continue east
and open up the Peldvale map.* Cancel out and go all the way to the
west and follow the stone path around the outer wall of the Inn.

The Niles 31-08-2004 10:02 AM

Ahh, thanks. Now that helps.

FreeFreddy 31-08-2004 10:06 AM

Have fun! http://forum.giga.de/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif

revgb 31-08-2004 10:28 AM

Is that relly an adaquate description of where to find it, i remeber it being a total pain in the ass to find personally

The Niles 31-08-2004 10:32 AM

I found the ring of wizardry easy enough but the other one I still have not found. I'll try again when I have some time to spare.

revgb 06-09-2004 06:12 AM

okay whats your favouite npc in bg 1 or 2?

mine is jan jansen, he is relly relly funny, i never get tired of listen to that guy piss of the others

The Niles 06-09-2004 09:27 AM

I can't remember who I thought was the most fun. Noober who kept following you around was a good laugh.

FreeFreddy 06-09-2004 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by The Picard+Sep 6 2004, 11:27 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (The Picard @ Sep 6 2004, 11:27 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Noober who kept following you around was a good laugh. [/b]

Which you can meet reincarnated in Baldur's Gate II, too. He's in the Trademeet and his name this time is Neeber.
He also torments you there, but when you give him a chance and let him bother you, he'll leave then and leaves 1000 EXP and some sling-stones as a reward. :P

<!--QuoteBegin-revgb
@Sep 6 2004, 08:12 AM
okay whats your favouite npc in bg 1 or 2?

mine is jan jansen, he is relly relly funny, i never get tired of listen to that guy piss of the others
[/quote]
Mine is Korgan Bladefist and Mazzy Fentan, which are both good fighters. I prefer Mazzy more often, though, because she has higher AC through her high dexterity. This is helpful further in the game where the enemies become more touch.

Razor2 06-09-2004 01:32 PM

The best NPC by far is Minsc. Give him the talking sword (Lilacor) in BGII, they will be a goofy team.

The other, altough not an NPC is the imp in TOB, Cespenar. His dialogs are the best. :D

The Niles 08-09-2004 06:48 AM

Minsc is cool enough said.

Baldur's Gate 2 had more humor in it then 1. I think they got bolder after making 1. At first they feared ru?ning the atmosphere of the D&D world with too much humor but after 1 they decided it wouldn't. They were right.

Icewinddale is different in that there is still the trademark humor but much less and I think that also works well with the atmosphere they tried to create in that game. Too much humor would have ruined the mistique of the North that surrounds the game.

elephant 09-09-2004 05:40 PM

i did like the Minsc`s pet ...

FreeFreddy 09-09-2004 06:04 PM

You mean the one he carries or the one you can insert? :sneaky:

The Niles 09-09-2004 06:54 PM

Luckily they only make one rude joke about that and that is at the very beginning of the second game.

silz 15-02-2007 04:12 AM

Yeah Baldur's Gate III is in development. I hope Atari has good judgment on passing it to a developer with some quality and hopefully no rushing them!!! Somehow I still hope that Bioware would be doing it but I know its impossible since they already have their hands full. But most developers starts from a nobody (Blizzard, BioWare) so some trust is important.

Tito 15-02-2007 09:10 AM

Again with the resurrection thing. For discussing this game, you should try this thread:

Baldur's Gate

It is quite more recent, and not full of already dissapeared members.

silz 17-02-2007 12:00 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tito @ Feb 15 2007, 10:10 AM) [snapback]279313[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

It is quite more recent, and not full of already dissapeared members.
[/b]
now that you mention it...some even dated back to 2004...

The current time is 07:48 AM (GMT)