Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Games Discussion (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Powermonger (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=3679)

Strobe 09-03-2005 07:17 PM

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review

Hydro3000 09-03-2005 08:44 PM

Is there a manual for this game somewhere, It looks cool, but I have a hard time figuring out the controls here

:rifle: :rifle: :rifle: DIE!!!! RED AND BLUE SCUM!!!! :rifle: :rifle: :rifle: :rifle:

BeefontheBone 09-03-2005 09:40 PM

hey, stop trying to steal my Molyneux-worshipping, long review-writing crown!

btw, are you sure of the release date on this? surely it was after Pop 2?

Chris 09-03-2005 09:53 PM

great review! one of the longest i've seen at abandonia.com. glad you have to translate it yourself, strobe. :D

@BotB: as far as i know, powermonger was released before Pop2

Strobe 09-03-2005 10:39 PM

according to all my sources of information, it has been released in 1992!

and populous 2 has been published in 1993.

did i make a statement that it has been published AFTER pop 2?

BeefontheBone 09-03-2005 10:49 PM

No, no, it just seems odd that PM has some more advanced features (like rotating and zooming the map for a start) than Pop2. Oh well, wahtever. Might have to give it a try - never actually played this one!

Flop 09-03-2005 10:55 PM

I remember buying this game a looong time ago. I never did manage to get it to run on a newer computer, though. It always freezes whenever I start a new game, even with dosbox and VDMSound. Does anyone else have this problem?

Guest 10-03-2005 04:26 AM

The style is like Popolous :not_ok: but this Game is much more better than it! :ok:

TheChosen 10-03-2005 12:02 PM

Holy Cow! I have always looked for this game after i had borrowed it from my friend. I was 8 then and i forgot its name.

Thank you.

Strobe 10-03-2005 12:50 PM

now the manual is available for download. just click the link on the review page
(it's located in the extras box)

Hydro3000 10-03-2005 12:57 PM

WOW! Thanks!

I searched all over for that, couldn.t find it anywhere, and I gave the game up I just got butchered all the time.

But now.....

:rifle: :rifle: :rifle: TIME TO DIE!!! RED AND BLUE SCUM!!! :rifle: :rifle: :rifle: :rifle:

Danny252 11-03-2005 06:36 PM

wow, more strategy games that are decent! downloaddownloaddownload

Norton 06-05-2005 10:15 AM

Hey guys, was a BIG fan of this game back in the day, have recently started to use the WinUAE program to play old amiga games and have been having problems with the save disk function on Powermonger. Was wondering if anyone here could help..?

Have created a save disk using the WinUAE and put it into the df0: location when it asks, I ask it to format the 'blank' first and it says is write protected (even though it's not!) i made sure teh file was unchecked of the properties of 'read only' and 'archive' but still no joy...

has anyone got a preformatted disk i could try or a save disk from this game??

Would appreciate the help.. booting up some of these games really takes me back and would be good to try them again. (wipes a fond memory tear from my eye remembering the many lost hours I spent on the old Amiga A500).

thanks for any help... (ps was wondering if anyone had a supremacy save disk too...)

The_Harlz 11-05-2005 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Strobe@Mar 9 2005, 11:39 PM
according to all my sources of information, it has been released in 1992!

and populous 2 has been published in 1993.

did i make a statement that it has been published AFTER pop 2?

I would just like to clear up the game releases mentioned here (and give my 2 cents worth). Powermonger was in fact way back in 1990, the Powermonger WWI data disk came next in 1991 followed by Populous 2 later in 1991. How am I so sure? I have both original games sitting here in box and manual (original version=Amiga version naturally).

I also recall upon the release of Powermonger, everyone eagerly asked "is this the sequel to Populous?". Meanwhile Bullfrog were busily working on Populous 2. When it finally came out, of course it topped the charts in no time. Now I didn't much get into Powermonger originally although I've been playing it a bit lately. It is a fairly open game if you know what I mean. You can play it how YOU want to. On the other hand, I LOVED Populous 2 and played it for months on end... Populous 3 (1998 on PC only) was a deadloss and a wasted sequal (although the nice Direct3D graphics were decent in its day).

*EDITED*
On doing a little more research I discovered Powermonger was only ported to PC in 1992. Hence the confusion over release dates, the Amiga version was definitely 1990. Like many games in those days, the original version was on Amiga, all other versions were ported across. Of course there were many games written for PC that were also ported back to Amiga (I instantly think of games from SSI, Microprose and Sierra).

zipper 26-06-2005 12:26 AM

can't find the downloadlink ?

moogle 26-06-2005 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by zipper@Jun 26 2005, 12:26 AM
ESA, no go no go, you eveil pirate you ;) LOL jk, but its ESA protected so that meens no dl.

zipper 27-06-2005 05:35 PM

:ok: Got it. Pirites R US

zippeer 27-06-2005 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by zipper@Jun 27 2005, 05:35 PM
:ok: Got it. Pirites R US
crap can't spell.
Pirates R US :Titan:

A. J. Raffles 27-06-2005 06:18 PM

That's not something you should brag about, you know. Not here, anyway.<_<

old amiga fan w PC 19-08-2005 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by moogle+Jun 26 2005, 01:19 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (moogle @ Jun 26 2005, 01:19 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-zipper@Jun 26 2005, 12:26 AM
ESA, no go no go, you eveil pirate you ;) LOL jk, but its ESA protected so that meens no dl. [/b][/quote]
yes... ESA protected...

Bullfrog isnt on that ESA list and i tried EA not a word about powermonger. Then i looked for any site that sells it. But it turns out that i cant even buy it if i wanted to. Just wondered how much theyd dare to charge for such an old game. Whats up with those old copyrighted games that noone wants to buy or sell anymore. Are we supposed to just forget em?

Cmon, set the old games free. or hey - use em for advertisin.

:wall: :eeeeeh: :eeeeeh: :eeeeeh: :ranting:

strangelove 20-08-2005 11:43 PM

Nice to see this old gem again, I think it played better on the Atari ST though I couldn't give a good reason for thinking that.

Domine 13-09-2005 10:00 PM

Did anyone ever finish this game?

I loved it but dont think I ever got further than half the map, IIRC there were about 10 maps i couldnt do which held me up no-end *shrug*

Goodguy 21-10-2005 08:14 PM

How do i install and run in dos? i have the cd, and its installed, but how do i run it? i get as far as cd\ea\power. after that everything i type in says "bad command or file name"

rabsol1 01-11-2005 11:37 PM

Anyone know how to get the proper numbers to enter at startup (PC edition, CD), so the game will be unlocked for play? I just received a copy of Powermonger/Populous 2 on original CD from Amazon.com (cost, $.01, shipping, $3.50, LOL) and have no map from which to reference the needed unlock codes. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance! :ok:

Brian, Oliver Springs, TN

Guest 27-12-2005 10:50 AM

Is this game ever likely to become available via download?
It seems odd that Pop1 and Pop2 are available, but not Powermonger.

I still have my copy (including the manual with the small "copy protection" maps) but the game is on diskettes and I don't have a diskette reader any more.

Guest 18-01-2006 10:04 PM

I remember playing this on the SEGA... Now I'm going to inflict pain on myself for not downloading it before stupid ESA stepped in... :(

Sir Rasor 09-07-2006 03:55 PM

Official: "Release Date June 1, 1990"

Guest 20-07-2006 02:34 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Dec 27 2005, 11:50 AM) [snapback]192439[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Is this game ever likely to become available via download?
It seems odd that Pop1 and Pop2 are available, but not Powermonger.

I still have my copy (including the manual with the small "copy protection" maps) but the game is on diskettes and I don't have a diskette reader any more.
[/b]

I am in the exact same boat. I keep searcing around work in hopes I find a comp with an old floppy reader, but even then I doubt I could convert it to any usable form.

I used to love this game too. :sos:

The Fifth Horseman 21-07-2006 02:42 PM

Floppy drives are $4 apiece in about every computer store. The USB FDD drives costs a bit more, but are still quite accessible.

Rich 03-11-2006 08:53 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Norton @ May 6 2005, 10:15 AM) [snapback]104512[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Hey guys, was a BIG fan of this game back in the day, have recently started to use the WinUAE program to play old amiga games and have been having problems with the save disk function on Powermonger. Was wondering if anyone here could help..?

Have created a save disk using the WinUAE and put it into the df0: location when it asks, I ask it to format the 'blank' first and it says is write protected (even though it's not!) i made sure teh file was unchecked of the properties of 'read only' and 'archive' but still no joy...

has anyone got a preformatted disk i could try or a save disk from this game??

Would appreciate the help.. booting up some of these games really takes me back and would be good to try them again. (wipes a fond memory tear from my eye remembering the many lost hours I spent on the old Amiga A500).

thanks for any help... (ps was wondering if anyone had a supremacy save disk too...)
[/b]
Create a 'non-standard' floppy from within WinUAE. When in the game, select to format the disk you have created and it can be used to save your games.

charlie 19-02-2007 11:39 AM

has anyone managed to save their game on the PC version?
i only seem to have a load option in the filebox menu and no option to save...

rupertbear 19-03-2007 02:25 AM

o i have to send a quick message here! Powermonger was one of my all time favourite games (on the Amiga 500+)

Absolutely loved this game, how huge was it?! i think i got half way through the world map then got stumped! extremely hard on the later levels but so unbelievably enjoyable and replayable.

i am just slightly annoyed with Strobe for only giving the game a rating of 4, what were you thinking?! LOL

it's a shame this game isn't available for download, why is it protected it's so old now it surely isn't for sale anymore? (would love to play this game again...)

Guest 03-08-2007 09:51 AM

the game was released on Atari ST and Amiga in 1990, the PC release was 1992.

I remmeber playing it, but struggled with crappy instructions. I would love to have been able to download it and try to learn this game again

Luchsen 01-02-2008 04:06 PM

Powermonger is not protected anymore and so downloadable again.

nopkar 22-02-2008 03:14 PM

I remember playing this! once upon a long time ago. i'm amazed that it still looks so good! just wish I could fix that hyperspeed frame rate tho :notrust:

Borodin 22-02-2008 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nopkar (Post 319784)
I remember playing this! once upon a long time ago. i'm amazed that it still looks so good! just wish I could fix that hyperspeed frame rate tho :notrust:

Are you running it in DOSBox? Because if so, I think the command to slow it down is CTRL+F11.

gumpy 17-06-2009 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Borodin (Post 319814)
Are you running it in DOSBox? Because if so, I think the command to slow it down is CTRL+F11.

I think that there is a speed control in the game's option menu too.

incubaton 13-08-2009 09:31 AM

What settings please in dosbox 0.73

What settings do I need in DOSbox to imrpove the sound and graphics of the game Powermonger atm the games graphics are terrible compared with the screenshots posted up and the sound is very basic.

Thaks for any help

_r.u.s.s. 13-08-2009 09:46 AM

you need to launch pm.bat, not game.exe

Palocles 30-01-2011 07:21 PM

Has the copy protection been cracked on Powermonger?

Alternatively, is there a list of the correct answers somewhere?

(i'll try google right now anyway but might as well ask.)

edit: Seems is is cracked but only runs well with the dosbox cycles up at about 50,000. The map doesn't zoom out very far and resolution is really low, even using pm.bat.

_r.u.s.s. 31-01-2011 01:44 PM

hmm, can you make a desktop+dosbox screenshot of what you see?

because my powermonger runs nicely with resolution exactly as on the review page at about 10,000 cycles with pm bat- even too fast i think; it was probably meant to be played as it runs on about 5,000-6,000 cycles

tristanzz 25-06-2021 11:16 PM

Anyone have any tips? Game seems to get horrendously hard. What do you do when you start sandwiched between several allied captains and there's no time to make any weapons?

twillight 26-06-2021 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tristanzz (Post 486227)
Anyone have any tips? Game seems to get horrendously hard. What do you do when you start sandwiched between several allied captains and there's no time to make any weapons?

Let them die?

Well, only found 1 ~guide, more of a game-manual actualy for the game, so my only advice is: try to watch some let's plays on youtube.

tristanzz 27-06-2021 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twillight (Post 486228)
Let them die?

I meant when they are all under the same banner against the player. As such, letting them die generally requires the player's assistance.

I did notice something about the three rivals though. Harold (yellow) almost never uses his captains, and most of the time his settlements invent pots and ploughs etc. Jos (red) and Jeyne (blue) are aggressive and deploy their captains. I believe Jeyne is the more intelligent one.

Some maps start your men out with bows. You can wipe out enemy armies pretty easily with bows, but if you have no melee soldiers, it is almost impossible to capture settlements without opting to just kill everyone. I haven't figured out a way for soldiers to drop equipment so they can switch out of terminator mode.

I haven't yet found anything on youtube that knows what they're talking about. Some of the videos have blatantly wrong information.

twillight 28-06-2021 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tristanzz (Post 486236)
Some maps start your men out with bows. You can wipe out enemy armies pretty easily with bows, but if you have no melee soldiers, it is almost impossible to capture settlements without opting to just kill everyone. I haven't figured out a way for soldiers to drop equipment so they can switch out of terminator mode.

I haven't yet found anything on youtube that knows what they're talking about. Some of the videos have blatantly wrong information.

Are there diplomacy options?
About capturing cities the manula maybe tells something? (replacementdocs has the manual if you need one)

tristanzz 29-06-2021 05:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by twillight (Post 486238)
Are there diplomacy options?
About capturing cities the manula maybe tells something? (replacementdocs has the manual if you need one)

My one foray into diplomacy with one of Harold's towns did get a response ("Not now, pinhead!") - I think it is possible to get better results if the captain has Pots in his inventory. But generally I think if you have time to build Pots, you should be building Pikes or Bows or something, so I admit haven't gone very far with this.

As it turns out, I did have some success today capturing one of these ridiculous places. This scenario is in the center of the bottom row of the map.

http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/att...1&d=1624944118

All the towns are owned by Jos and he has 5 or 6 captains. Jos XVIII himself is a captain starting in the little tower center-top. He orders the other captains to recruit their entire town and attack the only object not under his control, your tower, center-bottom. So you need to leave that area quickly. If you capture a town (they're all deserted thanks to the recruitment drive), he immediately marches there with his overwhelming force and retakes it.

Anyways, after the match started I left and attacked a few sheep. Once Jos' armies were all down at my tower, it seemed like he made a little mistake. He combined all his men into all into one army, 150 soldiers. I sort of ran around assassinating the now-vulnerable sub-captains for a while but Jos himself never ran out of food, so there's probably an AI handicap going on there.

Eventually I managed to deal with the stupid 150-man army. I captured the deserted bottom-right town, which prompted Jos to go there and retake it. Meanwhile I captured the top-right town. You will notice, regarding these two towns, that the ocean blocks a direct line between the bottom- and top-right. Jos and his original crew have boats, but none of the rest do. Being a dumb bastard, Jos just leaves the 135 soldiers without boats straddling the shoreline while he takes to the sea. I camped my 18 guys on the opposite shore, pictured, in direct line of his march, and when he made landfall with just a few boats, we just murdered him.

If all the captains are killed, it's basically in the bag. All their recruits simply return to their hometowns and go back to farming, and do not go on offense any longer, so it was just and easy-going cleanup after that point. Problem is, this match relied on cheese to isolate Jos from his army. I don't know if the other scenarios like it have such a convenient weak point....

The current time is 08:53 AM (GMT)