Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Old Suggestions (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=144)
-   -   Iso Subforum - What Do You Think? (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=12641)

Gargantuan Orangutan 13-11-2006 02:40 AM

I've recently talked to Kosta, Tom Henrik and Titan about having a subforum here at Abandonia that would revolve around and feature ISOs of abandonware games.

For quite awhile I've been very interested in seeing more attention paid to ISOs on abandonware sites. Abandonware ISOs need to preserved and distributed if the originals are going to survive.

Kosta wants to know what you think about this. If you like the idea, the goal is to have an index listed here of all the Abandonware ISOs available that can be downloaded on the web that meet a particular ethical criteria. If approved, I will provide a base listing of about 25 ISOs (already online, that aren't known to be available anywhere else) to get this listing started. Gradually the list will grow.

The whole idea beyond the project is to link to wherever these abandonware ISOs can be found, because it's not very realistic to host everything in one spot due to the large amount of space required.

Everyone can help with this. It will require participation from others for it to grow. If you come across something to add you can let us know. You can even host an ISO yourself.

The rules for exclusion are:
  • It's still sold
  • It's less than 5 years old
  • It's ESA protected
  • The IP/Copyright holder is known to dissaprove
Here's an example-listing of what it will look like (in this working example, some free file servers are used):

REMOVED, See site instead.

Let us know if what you think, and whether you're in favor of this or not.

-GO

Puffin 13-11-2006 10:43 AM

I thought Abandonia had unlimited space and bandwidth.. Why not host them here?

Mighty Midget 13-11-2006 10:48 AM

Maybe this could be done with the "abandonia tracker/p2p" that was discussed earlier? In that way, Ab can play safer regarding sudden re-protections by the ESA/owners and sales. Since merely a deletion of the link wouldn't be enough if the site is known, I mean. Then there's the issue of the sites/servers involved: For Ab to link to a site/server, then that site cannot offer warez, or else it would be a breach of Ab's policy, right?

But as an idea, yeah, ISOs are nice, they don't have to be ripped (you get the complete thing), and since the later DOS games came on cd only, I'd say go for it if the issues above can be dealt with, one way or another.

Tulac 13-11-2006 10:49 AM

I really don't see why not. Good idea.

Abi79 13-11-2006 11:27 AM

This, combined with the torrents idea would be a great addition to Abandonia.

The Fifth Horseman 13-11-2006 11:31 AM

Quote:

I thought Abandonia had unlimited space and bandwidth.. Why not host them here?[/b]
There is nothing such as "unlimited space" or "unlimited bandwidth".

The maximum size cap for games on Abandonia exists to protect Kosta from having to file for bankrupcy because of the transfer bills.

I am also quite positive that the idea put forward by GO can be executed via the means of P2P networks, as already discussed here.

Puffin 13-11-2006 12:04 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Nov 13 2006, 12:31 PM) [snapback]266673[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Quote:

I thought Abandonia had unlimited space and bandwidth.. Why not host them here?[/b]
There is nothing such as "unlimited space" or "unlimited bandwidth".

The maximum size cap for games on Abandonia exists to protect Kosta from having to file for bankrupcy because of the transfer bills.
[/b]

Ok, I just thought I had read somewhere that Kosta had gotten some amazing deal with unlimited space and stuff. My memory must be failing me :)

Then yeah, it's a good idea!

The Fifth Horseman 13-11-2006 01:45 PM

If you mean this, it does not give us unlimited bandwidth nor webspace.

Kosta 13-11-2006 01:59 PM

That is correct, there is no such thing as unlimited hard disk space. Hard drives are physical entities, and as such cannot be infinite, at least not on planet Earth :) There are a couple of details that were not mentioned here. This forum would not be visible to users that have less than a certain number of posts. This number is yet to be discussed. Also, all files will be hosted on free servers such as megaupload, while the resumable high speed downloads from the abandonia server will be reserved for VIP users, as it was the case until now. I hope that answers the uncertainties so far.

The Fifth Horseman 13-11-2006 02:07 PM

Dunno. Personally, I think that it would be much more handy to use Bit Torrent like proposed in the P2P thread.

The current time is 01:50 PM (GMT)