Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Need Help... Desperate (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=4550)

XCOM_Squaddie 19-04-2005 08:46 PM

I need some help with DOS in general. I'm running Windows 98. I also have DOSBOX, mainly to avoid this problem. Everytime I run a game in regular DOS mode, it works perfectly fine except that the brightness/contrast is low. With other non-DOS related games I just tweak my settings with 3DFX and theres no problem (works in DOSBOX too) But it doesn't seem to have any affect on games played in regular DOS mode. Does anyone know if there is a way to increase brightness in DOS? I'd really appreciate it, because games in DOSBOX seem to lag.. both the sound and gameplay.. so it'd be really awesome if someone knew how to fix my problem. Thanks :bye:

Allen 19-04-2005 08:49 PM

Sorry if I'm insulting your intelligence here, but... :whistle:
Have you tried to increase the brightness/contrast on your monitor? What GFX card do you have? What monitor do you use, CRT or TFT?

Reup 20-04-2005 07:35 AM

Is it with specific games? Because AFAIK there's no way to change the contrast in DOS (only on your monitor). However in certain games, (I know of Doom, Quake and some others), there's a 'agjust Gamma' option (it's F11 in Doom I think).

gregor 20-04-2005 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Reup@Apr 20 2005, 07:35 AM
Is it with specific games? Because AFAIK there's no way to change the contrast in DOS (only on your monitor). However in certain games, (I know of Doom, Quake and some others), there's a 'agjust Gamma' option (it's F11 in Doom I think).
Yes most of DOS games have software contrast/brightness settings. Can you tell us which game is giving you problems?

Because some (like Ultima underworld) are quite dark and the only way to make it brighter is to find object that illuminate the space around you.

XCOM_Squaddie 21-04-2005 03:18 AM

Thanks, that's basically what I wanted to know, If I could adjust the brightness/contrast of DOS. And seeing as how I can't I guess I have no choice but to stick to Windows games. I just don't understand why I can tweak the brightness on Windows games through the control panel but not DOS games. And most games I play in DOS don't have brightness settings, so it looks as if I'm screwed. Oh well. I can find abandonware strictly for Windows well enough..... not. :cry:

efthimios 21-04-2005 07:14 AM

Why don't you change the setting directly from the monitor itself? :crazy:

XCOM_Squaddie 21-04-2005 05:37 PM

Don't you think I would have tried that already? That's the first thing I did. :eeeeeh:

Eagle of Fire 21-04-2005 07:51 PM

I think that what Efthimios wanted to say is that we don't really understand why you would need to tweak with your Windows options to adjust brightness instead of using directly your monitor, so even less why you would have problem about this with DOS games.

Considering to purchase a new monitor might be an option. Nowaday monitors are almost computers by themselves...

The current time is 09:16 PM (GMT)