Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Approved Requests (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Operation Vulture 3 - Cyber Chopper (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=11907)

Shuan Wuan 16-09-2006 08:57 PM

Operation Vulture 3 - Cyber Chopper

I remember playing it 7 years ago on my 486, then I lost the disk and haven't been able to find it again.I think it was also known as "Cyber Chopper". The music was great and the gameplay was fun, you could blow up virtually anything and after each mission you got money with which to buy upgrades and fuel.It would make a great addition if its not protected.

-Sorry about the bad grammar and spelling-

Tom Henrik 16-09-2006 09:36 PM

This one?

Won't be abandoned for another couple of years, as it is an Ubi Soft production.

Shuan Wuan 16-09-2006 10:28 PM

No, Operation Vulture 3 came out in I'd say 1995 by H/M Software and it was 2d.

Edit: I managed to find a shareware copy, but it doesn't like dosbox, when it trys playing sound/music it locks up and freezes your machine, so that you have to cold-restart.

Luchsen 10-08-2007 01:04 AM

In contact with developer if it's active shareware.

Luchsen 12-08-2007 02:16 PM

Developer not existent anymore. [APPROVED]

corey6969 16-02-2009 03:08 AM

Hey,
I am sorry to bring back an old thread but I was wondering if this game will ever be added to the site. I have been looking for the full version everywhere but havent found it yet. I do have the shareware version and do have it working in Dosbox and on my old 486:whistling:. So any word on the game?

ChuckHomic 01-02-2010 08:23 PM

Hey. One half of H/M Software here.

I'd say we're prepared to public domain everything we've done as shareware. I don't know how to make that legal, but there you go.

I noticed that even though the moderator said [APPROVED] it's still not on the site. I can help sourcing the software, but you can download it pretty much anywhere from one of dozens of DOS game nostalgia web sites. I can also dig up the sequel, which was only made available to folks who registered the shareware version. (Which, by the way, was none of you slackers. We only asked for $15, people...)

Thank you for the comment about the music, Shuan. I wrote all the music, and I was just listening to the Level 1 song today which inspired me to see if anyone remembers the game. Out of the entire Internet, this thread seems to be it.

TotalAnarchy 02-02-2010 10:02 AM

"Approved" means that whoever has the game is allowed to share it and upload it on Abandonia's FTP. Since there was noone who had it, it wasn't uploaded on site. Plus after being uploaded on the FTP, we also need some time to find people willing to review it, also from our regular users. So there :p

I can give you FTP access so you can upload the games on our FTP, if it's not a problem. :) I don't know how people release software in the public domain. Maybe you just need to go to a notary/lawyer and authentificate the document. :mhh:

The Fifth Horseman 02-02-2010 01:51 PM

Quote:

I'd say we're prepared to public domain everything we've done as shareware. I don't know how to make that legal, but there you go.
Releasing a program under public domain must be done through a notary. Doing so would relinquish any control, ownership or copyright you hold over the game.

A simpler means of achieving free redistributability of the program would be just changing the license, allowing you to retain the copyrights for any future use. According to this article, including an appropriate licensing document with the software pretty much takes care of that.

To give you something to work from, here is a copy of a release note included by Apogee in their freeware re-release of Caves of Thor:
license

A generalized fill-in-the-blanks version would be something like this:
Code:

<title> Release Notes - <current date>
<title> is (c) <original release year>/<current year> <copyright holder>
---------------------------------------------------

This game was discontinued from our product line a long time ago, and
has been re-released as freeware in <current date>.  There are a few notes
you should be aware of with the release.

1) We offer no support for this freeware release.

2) This game was not produced with modern computers in mind. You may
  need a third party program such as DOSBox (http://dosbox.com/) to run it
  properly on modern computers.

3) This game is released as freeware. That's not to be confused with
  public domain, abandonware or GPL. This is a freeware release, which
  means we retain full legal rights to the title and it's materials.  You
  are free to play the game as we've released it, but not free to "do
  whatever you want with it", which includes selling it or otherwise using
  the materials for your own gain.

-- <copyright holder>, <current date>

ChuckHomic 05-02-2010 04:37 PM

Thank you for the info. Apogee's freeware license seems preferable to public domain. Anywho, the shareware version is freely distributable as-is, so if you give me the FTP info, I'll upload that. Once I find Operation Vulture 4, I'll whip up a license and upload that, too. Thanks for the support.

The current time is 05:01 PM (GMT)