Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Tech Corner (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Hey I Missed You All~! (i Have Ethernet Problems...) (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=13820)

MrBackAlleySka 22-03-2007 07:58 PM

Hey all! Man it's good to be back. I MISSED YOU ALL! :kosta: I had internet trouble, but I've sorta got it fixed. Long story short, I reformatted and got myself XP. (98 is on another partition so all's good for games.)

Anyways, my internet works, but only kind of. It's a Motorola cable internet external modem, and hooked up via USB it runs perfectly fine and awesome. However USB is slower than having it hooked up to my Ethernet card, via an Ethernet CAT-5 cable, Its not fully functioning as far as I'm concerned.

The Ethernet card has it's proper, updated driver installed, and i'm using a fresh, new CAT-5 cable. The Ethernet card's lights go green when it's hooked up, and the cable modem's PC/Activity light lights up solid (Doesn't blink any though.) however every time I try accessing the internet, it's always "Page cannot be displayed".

Also, when I check the connection's settings, it comes up with "Limited or no communication." And it's always sending packets, but not receiving any at all, no matter how long I leave it on. I'm at a loss. Not that I'm super-tech savvy anyways. If I'm not commanding an almighty @ through mazes of hell itself, i'm a dunce.

Anyways, thanks in advance, and any help is appreciated.

Tulac 22-03-2007 08:09 PM

Best thing would be to call your ISP and ask for help, otherwise I would go to control panel and create a new connection from there, I think the process from there is pretty much self explanatory.

Geezer 22-03-2007 08:32 PM

This may be a silly question but have you checked the properties of your TCP/IP protocol? Are you using DHCP? If not, it may be that your Gateway or DNS setting have been changed in the rebinding of the protocol to the ethernet card.

MrBackAlleySka 22-03-2007 08:44 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Geezer @ Mar 22 2007, 04:32 PM) [snapback]284601[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

This may be a silly question but have you checked the properties of your TCP/IP protocol? Are you using DHCP? If not, it may be that your Gateway or DNS setting have been changed in the rebinding of the protocol to the ethernet card.
[/b]

nah, not a silly question, considering I have NO clue what you just said. Care to walk me through that in Layman's terms? Thanks for the help.

Also, Tulac, other than contacting my ISP, nothing I try in creating a new connection works. It all fails, including "repair connection."

Geezer 22-03-2007 09:06 PM

1. Click "Start" and then "My Network Places"

2. Click on "View Network Connections"

3. Right click "Local Area Connection" and then left click on "Properties"

4. Find the item in the list that says Internet protocol (TCP/IP)

5. Highlight it and click on the "Properties" button

6. If your modem is set to use DHCP it will assign an IP address and DNS addresses to your computer so that it can talk to the network and internet. You need to have the radio button selected that says "Obtain an IP address automatically". If your modem is not set for DHCP (you need to refer to the modem setup instructions) then you have a number of things that need to be configured manually and unfortunately only your ISP can tell you what some of them are. They would have given you a setup sheet with DNS addresses etc. I can't help much if I don't know what they are. Best to call them.

MrBackAlleySka 22-03-2007 09:46 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Geezer @ Mar 22 2007, 05:06 PM) [snapback]284606[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

1. Click "Start" and then "My Network Places"

2. Click on "View Network Connections"

3. Right click "Local Area Connection" and then left click on "Properties"

4. Find the item in the list that says Internet protocol (TCP/IP)

5. Highlight it and click on the "Properties" button

6. If your modem is set to use DHCP it will assign an IP address and DNS addresses to your computer so that it can talk to the network and internet. You need to have the radio button selected that says "Obtain an IP address automatically". If your modem is not set for DHCP (you need to refer to the modem setup instructions) then you have a number of things that need to be configured manually and unfortunately only your ISP can tell you what some of them are. They would have given you a setup sheet with DNS addresses etc. I can't help much if I don't know what they are. Best to call them.
[/b]
Hmm, still nothing. Both things are setup to update automatically, but the connection still won't...well..connect.

Mighty Midget 22-03-2007 09:55 PM

Very silly question: Have you checked that the cables aren't broken? The card is not broken? That sort of things. It is possible to buy brand new, broken stuff.

MrBackAlleySka 22-03-2007 10:02 PM

Not that I know of, as I said, the power activity lights on both the modem, and the card itself come on, and with the cord disconnected, both lights go out. If it's broken, it's borked itself in a place that stops functionality, but not function. :(

Icewolf 23-03-2007 07:43 AM

Do you know how you get connected to the modem / router?

It could be that it denies you accessing the internet cause the USB thing has an different hardware-adress (MAC-adress). Some router detect those MACs automatically and set that this is the only MAC that may communicate with the modem / router / internet.

gregor 23-03-2007 11:04 AM

Have you tried turning it off and on again? :P

Seriosuly no... sounds very familiar to my problem when i first got cable connection and decided to install the router.
I had to reset the modem and router and computer if i am not mistaking a couple of times and ISP also had to do some resets for my address. then it worked. the reset has to be done in propper order as i remember.

The current time is 07:50 AM (GMT)