Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Tech Corner (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Router problems (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=25060)

ianfreddie07 20-06-2010 08:09 AM

Router problems

Meh. The typhoon last year gave us inconsistent internet. A thunder storm yesterday borked up the router. I can connect to the internet with this laptop via wireless network but the desktops are another thing. They are connected via cable. We've tried rearranging the cords, restarting the router and modem, changing stuff in the TCP/IP control, but no cookie. :( I'd really appreciate your help guys. Router model is Linksys WRT54G.

_r.u.s.s. 20-06-2010 01:57 PM

by the time when you get another router (since lan cables on it don't work) you can connect wirelessly via laptop and then wiring it up to your desktops, either sharing the internet connection or making a proxy server

ianfreddie07 21-06-2010 02:04 AM

The problem is, the laptop is my dad's and he won't allow it to be like... the center of the internet connections. My brother came up with this: If he can connect via modem, then it's not the modem nor the cables, since both our cables work fine with modem. It's also not the router because it works wireless. :\

dosraider 21-06-2010 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianfreddie07 (Post 407729)
...A thunder storm yesterday borked up the router...
.....changing stuff in the TCP/IP control...

< Can't help wondering how a thunderstorm would be able to alter TCP/IP system settings ...... :mhh:

_r.u.s.s. 21-06-2010 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianfreddie07 (Post 407793)
The problem is, the laptop is my dad's and he won't allow it to be like... the center of the internet connections. My brother came up with this: If he can connect via modem, then it's not the modem nor the cables, since both our cables work fine with modem. It's also not the router because it works wireless. :\

why do you think it's not router? it could have just ruined the lan cable ports on it. since lan cables don't work and wireless does..

Fruit Pie Jones 22-06-2010 08:34 PM

If you suspect that there's a problem with the router's network settings rather than a physical issue (as in, lightning set the thing on fire, and it hasn't worked since), reset the router to its default settings and reconfigure it. Most SOHO routers have a reset button somewhere. You may have to hold it down for a few seconds in order to reset everything, rather than simply pressing it.

Kugerfang 22-06-2010 10:54 PM

There should be a little hole in the back of your router that you can insert a paperclip into so you can reset it.

ianfreddie07 23-06-2010 04:34 AM

Yeah, the LAN Cable ports were busted after the storm. Got a new router and it works well. :)

Fubb 23-06-2010 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianfreddie07 (Post 407729)
but no cookie. :(

well thats easy, just go to your tools and settings and turn them on.

Kugerfang 24-06-2010 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianfreddie07 (Post 407983)
Yeah, the LAN Cable ports were busted after the storm. Got a new router and it works well. :)

How is that even possible

The current time is 07:25 AM (GMT)