Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Introductions, Farewells and Returns (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   'Hola' - which is 'Hello' - from Spain! (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=19281)

Bajamamut 17-03-2009 09:33 PM

'Hola' - which is 'Hello' - from Spain!

Hi there! I would like to introduce myself to the abandonia forum community because I love good'ol games as much as you. My Nickname, as you can see, is Bajamamut, and I'm Spaniard - or at least that's what my english teacher says is the correct word to describe 'a native of Spain', instead of 'Spanish'...

...Well, I never actually used that word before, but anyway, let it suffice that I'm a great fan of this site because it has so many great games hosted and great reviews, too, that I'm glad to form part of the community now.

Oh, by the way, if you wish you can check out some 'Let's Play' thing that I'm recording about the game 'Veil Of Darkness', I will put the Intro Video here but you can see the rest of the videos by clicking on the video-answers on Youtube. I hope you enjoy them! :clap:

Veil Of Darkness - Intro (English)

Chris 17-03-2009 09:45 PM

Hola Bajamamut and welcome to our site, home of all Abandoniards :hello:

AlumiuN 18-03-2009 12:10 AM

Hello Bajamamut! Enjoy your stay and grab some games! :)

Icewolf 18-03-2009 07:06 AM

Hai, Hai, co-european fellow.

I don't know if this word exists at all! :D

Dave 18-03-2009 12:02 PM

Welcome to Abandonia Bajamamut :hello:

TotalAnarchy 18-03-2009 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobbin (Post 356711)
Hola Bajamamut and welcome to our site, home of all Abandoniards Abandonerds :hello:

Welcome :)

Japo 18-03-2009 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bajamamut (Post 356709)
I'm Spaniard - or at least that's what my english teacher says is the correct word to describe 'a native of Spain', instead of 'Spanish'...

Toot, toot. :nono: First of all "Spanish" is an adjective, and "Spaniard" is a noun.

- "I'm Spaniard" - incorrect
- "I'm Spanish" - correct
- "I'm a Spaniard" - grammatically correct but not to be used
- "The Spaniards" - correct if talking about a defined, limited group of them, e.g. "In the battle of Lepanto, the Spaniards..."
- "The Spanish" - correct way of referring to all of us, equivalent to "The Spanish people"
- Same with "English" and "Englishman", etcetera.

:tease: Grammar nazis please correct me if I'm wrong. :tongue:

SORRY, and welcome. I'm from Valladolid BTW. :D Spaniards or Spanish people are very rare around here (read the Internet).

El Quia 18-03-2009 07:52 PM

Funny, two "Spaniards" discussing in english how to refer to themselves (as a nation) in english, jo.

Yeah, sometimes my sense of humor is weird like that...

P.S.: The thing that turns all of this funnier is that I am talking about this in english, and I am from a spanish-speaking country, too...

AlumiuN 18-03-2009 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Japofran (Post 356817)
:tease: Grammar nazis please correct me if I'm wrong. :tongue:

I suppose I'd better, then. :p I'm a Spaniard would be the correct way to express that he is Spanish. :)

Japo 18-03-2009 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlumiuN (Post 356828)
I suppose I'd better, then. :p I'm a Spaniard would be the correct way to express that he is Spanish. :)

Hm dunno I'd like a second opinion. So "he's an Englishman" should be used instead of "he's English", "he's a Turk" instead of "he's Turkish", etcetera...? :huh: Both are grammatically correct in any case, but I think the latter is more used. Not to mention that _you_ just used it, you said "to express that he is Spanish" instead of "to express that he is a Spaniard".

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Quia (Post 356823)
Funny, two "Spaniards" discussing in english how to refer to themselves (as a nation) in english, jo.

Hey speaking in other languages than English is against the rules. :p

The current time is 11:21 PM (GMT)