Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Games Discussion (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Worlds of Ultima - The Savage Empire (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=16997)

Romano 17-04-2008 10:28 AM

Worlds of Ultima - The Savage Empire

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)

El Loco XII 17-04-2008 05:39 PM

nice wil give it a try

Blood-Pigggy 17-04-2008 08:10 PM

Savage Empire is OK as far as I managed to play, Martian Dreams is the real star though.

Borodin 17-04-2008 10:00 PM

An excellent game, one of two Warren Spector convinced Garriott to make using the Ultima VI engine, before Garriott gots the usual shakes for new technology. I reviewed it when it first came out, and loved the thing. Still have the box and all--one of the few where I've kept anything other than discs, manual and (where available) map.

Just a few hints, which I can still recall despite not having played it since the original release:

Remember that unlike most RPGs, you can use a lot of stuff you find. Some of it can be combined to form new objects. This is especially important where a certain very large and annoying creature above a very high mesa is concerned.

You'll find some old, familiar faces from comic movies past in the game. You can loot their tribe for a lot of food. Nobody cares. Fun dialog, too.

As in the Ultima games, designate at least one party member as your spellcaster, and regularly raise their intelligence. Spells can be very beneficial to you, and there are next to no magical objects like rings and enchanted swords to replace them with (unlike the later Ultima titles).

shinsaku 19-04-2008 11:15 AM

Thank you very much for providing this game. I've recently played Worlds of Ultima: Martian Dreams, a game I had still fond memories from the time of its release. I'm now really looking forward to give this one a try, which is completely new to me, thus opening a completely new world to explore.

Thumbs up! :)

humorguy 24-04-2008 01:46 PM

The two World of Ultima games, this and Martian Dreams, in my humble opinion, are the two stars of the Ultima series. Where you had (and have) many Dungeon and Dragons lookalikes at the time and after the Ultima series, these stand alone. They have never really been replicated in any way, so thank goodness they are both absolutely excellent! :)

darylrogers 10-07-2008 05:03 PM

No sound in Savage Empire

I downloaded Martian Dreams and Savage Empire. I am running them with DosBox. Martian Dreams works fine. Savage Empire does not. It seems to be running faster than MD, but the main problem is that there is no sound or music. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Any guesses for a solution? Thanks!

The Fifth Horseman 10-07-2008 05:08 PM

Have you tried running the game's sound setup and reconfiguring it? Dosbox emulates Sound Blaster 16, IRQ 7, DMA 1, Adress 220.

darylrogers 12-07-2008 04:08 PM

No sound on SE

Good suggestion. I went through the Install exe, and the sound was set to Roland. I changed it to PC internal speaker. But at the end it asked me to insert my copy of the game into the A drive. I could not get past that point to make it accept the sound card change. Is there an option listed in the DOSBox cofig anywhere that would make this change?

dosraider 12-07-2008 04:36 PM

Mount your game folder as A: (floppy), run install from there (A: ) install in c:\savage\ (dosbox !!!!).Choose svga and SB
Works fine.

[Edit]
Install works also when you mount the folder as CDRom.

The current time is 08:09 PM (GMT)