Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Approved Requests (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Reading Mansion (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=32667)

LordCutlerBeckett 24-04-2014 11:30 PM

Reading Mansion

Hey all. First post. Recently I've been looking for Reading Mansion, because I remember playing it as a kid and really enjoying it. I did some research and found ... well, the developer at least. Great Wave Software. I have found no download links or anything and it's a pretty old game, so I am assuming it's sold nowhere.

Have this box art: http://www.smartkidssoftware.com/Images/ndgws4b.jpg

McGraw-Hill bought out the company at one point, and I believe they published the game after the fact. Anyways, the box art is all I have found that really describes the game. No videos or anything. It must be pretty obscure, but you never know. Maybe some of you guys will know about it.

marko river 25-04-2014 12:02 PM

Hmmm, this name rings a bell.

Anyway, I did a small search and came up with more scans of box and CD.

As for the game itself, no real luck. What I could find though is this. I entered "United States" as location and it listed all the libraries that supposedly have this CD. Supposing that you are from US, perhaps you can get to one of those and create ISO.

Worth trying I guess. You can call the nearest ones and check. And do share the game if you succeed.

Let us know is this any good.

Cluseck 25-04-2014 06:46 PM

I haven't found much info on the game either. Neither Great Wave Software nor McGraw Hill is an ESA member. Unavailable on Amazon.

I think we can label the game as...

[APPROVED]

LordCutlerBeckett 26-04-2014 12:52 AM

Alright, I am progressively contacting local libraries to see what they have. Only time will tell if I get any results.

EDIT: Visited a local library and got it ironed out. Once I get the notification that it's shipped over, I'm going to head to the library immediately and see what I can do with the disc. Is it pretty straightforward to get an ISO out of it? Just copy/paste all the contents out of the disc?

Derpancakes 13-09-2014 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordCutlerBeckett (Post 459977)
Alright, I am progressively contacting local libraries to see what they have. Only time will tell if I get any results.

EDIT: Visited a local library and got it ironed out. Once I get the notification that it's shipped over, I'm going to head to the library immediately and see what I can do with the disc. Is it pretty straightforward to get an ISO out of it? Just copy/paste all the contents out of the disc?

Hey!! I stumbled across this post, and thought I'd share that I've been looking for the game forever too! Were you ever able to find it?

marko river 14-09-2014 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordCutlerBeckett (Post 459977)

Uh, sorry for late reply, I never saw the edit part I guess. No, it is not just simple copy paste, but use some software instead. Just google it and you should come up with number of free solutions. For example, I use Daemon Tools Lite, which is free for personal use. You create disc image and it results with on or few files, probably one with .iso extension. That files can be used to create a original CD again.

hope that helps, and hope you got a CD or will get it soon.

LordCutlerBeckett 30-03-2015 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derpancakes (Post 460932)
Hey!! I stumbled across this post, and thought I'd share that I've been looking for the game forever too! Were you ever able to find it?

So sorry for the late reply! I've been busy with school and other shenanigans.

Unfortunately the library had a couple of issues regarding interlibrary loans and their cost, so I have not gotten a hold of the CD. I think now I have enough free time to try getting it again. I will keep you all posted if there are any updates.

Sylveon 03-05-2016 01:41 AM

I have an ISO of this game. Is there still interest in it?

marko river 03-05-2016 01:12 PM

Absolutely, always for any game :)

Can you make an image file and upload it somewhere, like 4shared for example?

And welcome :)

arete 03-05-2016 03:48 PM

Sounds like it could be fun to review :)

LordCutlerBeckett 04-05-2016 10:11 PM

Oh man, I just got the time because uni is winding down to try to find the disc again. Glad to see someone else has this though.

But yes, please upload it! Will be nice to play this again.

Sylveon 05-05-2016 06:20 AM

All right, I have it uploaded to 4Shared. Where shall I send the link?

marko river 05-05-2016 09:38 AM

Here or in ISO Cellar in topic Requests. I'll add it to ISO Cellar then.

jaymesinsayne 11-06-2016 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko river (Post 465402)
Absolutely, always for any game :)

Can you make an image file and upload it somewhere, like 4shared for example?

And welcome :)

Did you end up getting a copy of the game from Sylveon? I have the original disk and I'd be happy to upload it to dropbox or 4shared for you.

marko river 13-06-2016 10:21 PM

Please do upload it regardless of other links. It can only help the preservation :)

meglynkrafft 18-07-2016 11:45 PM

Any updates on the Reading Mansion? I have spent weeks looking for it, this thread gives me hope one day it will be available!

marko river 19-07-2016 12:52 AM

Reading Manisons - link now in ISO Cellar
Enjoy :)

Sylveon 11-09-2020 07:03 PM

I accidentally forgot about logging into the account on 4shared to maintain it and the link has expired, oops. Sorry about that! I'm pretty sure I still have it, want me to re-upload it? Is 4shared still the preferred site for ISO cellar uploads?

Smiling Spectre 13-09-2020 09:21 PM

Well, as for me, Archive.org is the most accessible source for now (it have 2 Reading Mansion uploads already, BTW). If not Archive, I would prefer Mega, as 4shared seems very picky for non-paying users now. But any solution is welcome, of course.

LordCutlerBeckett 01-11-2020 07:55 PM

Figured I'd pop in and reiterate that yes, archive.org has 2 uploads of the original iso uploaded to 4shared, one uploaded by a user named wasperine and another by a user named bigsaladbones. Links below in case anyone stumbles onto this thread first before archive.org if they are searching.

https://archive.org/details/RMANSION
https://archive.org/details/rmansion_202003

I'd argue it's pretty well preserved at this point because archive.org rocks, but of course it would never hurt to upload it elsewhere. :)

Thanks again for the original upload, sylveon! Just out of curiosity, did you have a copy of the CD in your possession to begin with or did you get it from another source like a library or a garage sale?

Fawna 15-11-2020 06:14 AM

Reading Mansion

Hi! I downloaded the game and mounted the iso to run it, but it keeps saying it isn't compatible with 64 bit Windows. Is there anything I can do to play? I'd love to remember some of my old nostalgia.

I remember my elementary school computer lab had this game and we would get to play it sometimes, but I never got to get very far because we weren't given much time. I always asked my parents to get it for me, but it never happened. I'd love to sit down and play it just to satisfy that past little girl who really wanted to play this little educational game.

Thanks for making these forum posts and for making the game available. I just wish I could play it.

Smiling Spectre 15-11-2020 03:58 PM

It's Windows16 most probably. I.e. Windows 3.1. It cannot work in Win64 natively. You have two ways: install Win3.1 under DOSBox and try to run it from there - or found Win32-wersion. I believe, Archive.org can have the needed version. Check this. Installer is definitely Win32, but I have no idea if it could install Win16 game - in that case your only solution is above.

eXo will work on "eXoWin3x collection", that will allow you to run the game, but no one knows when this collection will be available.

The current time is 07:34 PM (GMT)