Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Gaming Zone (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Need RPG with Over the Shoulder Camera Recommendation (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=23054)

rabadi 05-01-2010 11:43 PM

Need RPG with Over the Shoulder Camera Recommendation

Hi RPG expert guys and gals, lately I am slightly bored (hopefully not for long though) with either Third Person Isometric and/or First Person view in RPG, so I am looking for RPG with a different view: Over the Shoulder camera. Prime examples of games with Over the Shoulder view that I like are Tomb Raider series, Star Wars: Jedi Knight II - Jedi Outcast, Star Wars: Jedi Knight - Jedi Academy, Star Trek Deep Space Nine: The Fallen, Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine, etc. Except that they are all Action Adventure games, not RPG. I am specifically looking for RPG with this view.

Good and evil alignment as well as possibility to change the outcome or alter the course of the game or have different endings (for example a la Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic series) are definitely a plus but not mandatory.

Options to switch from Over the Shoulder view to First Person view (for example a la Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines) is not necessary.

Real-time combat with pause option is preferred. However, normal real-time combat or even turn-based combat is alright.

Non typical fantasy medieval setting, for example futuristic/sci-fi, steampunk, post-apocalyptic, is also nice, but again is not a requirement.

Preferably not a game that requires lots of RAM and video memory as my laptop currently only has 512MB RAM and 128MB video memory. Therefore newer games like Drakensang: The Dark Eye, The Witcher, Mass Effect, Shadowrun, etc., regardless of whether they employ Over the Shoulder view or not, are sadly out of my league for now. I am saving to buy a better gaming laptop, but I am afraid that has to wait at least for another year or so :(

Sorry for all those restricting condition, but if you RPG experts have any recommendation anyway, I'd love to hear it from you. Thanks in advance! :3:

EDIT: The VGA RAM is actually 256MB, not 128MB.

viejator 06-01-2010 12:05 AM

Try OVERLORD-- is not exaclty a RPG but is great :thumbs:

Maxor127 06-01-2010 08:21 AM

There's Fable, but it might not run on your laptop even though it's like 5 years old now. Plus it's probably too hard to control unless you have a real mouse and keyboard to hook up.

The Prince of Persia: Sands of Time trilogy games are platformers, but you might like them. I think the first one is good, second one is meh, and third one is kind of a mix between the last two.

An older game is Omikron: The Nomad Soul, but I barely played it. It barely ran on my computer back then and was a bit intimidating, but it might seem primitive now.

Gothic II was a solid RPG. I can't speak for the other two Gothic games because I haven't played them. That's all I can think of for the PC. Consoles have a lot more RPGs like that.

Otherwise, the best you'll find is probably Bioware/Obsidian games, most of which probably won't run on your laptop... Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2, Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Jade Empire, etc.

rabadi 06-01-2010 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viejator (Post 392666)
Try OVERLORD-- is not exaclty a RPG but is great :thumbs:

I just read the review on Gamespot, and it does sound fun. I am going to check it out. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxor127 (Post 392686)
The Prince of Persia: Sands of Time trilogy games are platformers, but you might like them. I think the first one is good, second one is meh, and third one is kind of a mix between the last two.

I did play and finish the first one. I lost interest of the second one just after playing it for a few hours. Unfortunately I do not have the third one.

Quote:

Gothic II was a solid RPG. I can't speak for the other two Gothic games because I haven't played them.

Of course! Gothic is exactly an Over the Shoulder view RPG! I had tried out the Gothic I demo several years ago, but somehow I forgot about this. Thanks for reminding me.

Quote:

Otherwise, the best you'll find is probably Bioware/Obsidian games, most of which probably won't run on your laptop... Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2, Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Jade Empire, etc.

I have played and finished Knights of the Old Republic I & II, that's why I mentioned them in my post above. They actually played without problem on my laptop. Again thanks for the other sugestions :thumbs:

Tomekk 06-01-2010 01:12 PM

Dragon Age : Origins :rocks:

You can adjust the camera to isometric or over-the-shoulder any time, and it's great! :D

TotalAnarchy 06-01-2010 01:42 PM

right, except you guys don't see he mentioned he doesn't have an ultra new PC.

hunvagy 06-01-2010 02:56 PM

Ultima IX :) Also Anachronox may be worth a try.

Maxor127 07-01-2010 05:05 AM

I suppose King's Quest 8: Mask of the Eternity could be considered an RPG. Good luck getting it to run though. I lost interest in it after playing a little. The ugly 3D graphics, which may or may not have looked awesome 10 years ago, just look ugly now or even 5 years ago when I probably tried playing it. Plus it was buggy as hell. I'd like to return to it one day though just to say I played it and won it.

Return to Krondor is another game that comes to mind. I enjoyed it back in the day. Familiarity with the Raymond E. Feist books and Betrayal at Krondor might help, but isn't that necessary.

I suppose Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption would fit too.

Might check out the Grand Theft Auto games. San Andreas is the most like an RPG. You level up stats and everything.

supa_mario 07-01-2010 06:54 AM

What about Vampire the masquerade: bloodlines (Better than redemption^) If your PC can run Half life 2 it should run it fine.

rabadi 07-01-2010 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunvagy (Post 392795)
Also Anachronox may be worth a try.

Yes I have heard about Anachronox before. Will check it later, thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxor127 (Post 392832)
I suppose King's Quest 8: Mask of the Eternity could be considered an RPG. Good luck getting it to run though. I lost interest in it after playing a little. The ugly 3D graphics, which may or may not have looked awesome 10 years ago, just look ugly now or even 5 years ago when I probably tried playing it.

Agree. I did try out the demo several years ago, and lost interest immediately, especially after comparing it with Quest for Glory V, which was roughly released in the same year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxor127 (Post 392832)
I suppose Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption would fit too.

I consider Redemption to be regular Third Person view RPG, albeit not Isometric, and not Over the Shoulder view. Anyway I have already finished it, and in fact I started a thread about it here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by supa_mario (Post 392840)
What about Vampire the masquerade: bloodlines (Better than redemption^) If your PC can run Half life 2 it should run it fine.

Yes, I have been playing it since late December, that's why I also mentioned it in my original post above. My progress is slow, though. So many things to do :)

The current time is 12:32 PM (GMT)